Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Crash

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
sixpack Crash
Member 20th Nov, 2010 22:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
Secuna 2.0 crashed today, first time as I have been using it for a few weeks now. http://twitpic.com/38mepg/full

--
Windows 7 32bit
PSI 2.0 Beta

mogs RE: Crash
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2010 22:49
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello sixpack !
I can see you've been a user of the forum for a day....are you sure you don't mean your browser has crashed ? I'm not keen 'pon clicking links from one-time posters....but wouldn't like you to feel neglected and unwelcome.
psi 2.0 Beta has already been thro' lots of bug tests/reports....personally, in comparison to the previous Beta....it seems very stable. Are you trying to say it hasn't appeared ( or won't?) ? It won't scan or show the results of ? Further enlargement of the word "crash" might help a Secunia official to help you in the morning.
Here's a couple of links you might find it worth reading/bookmarking for future reference :-http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
HOW IT WORKS
Hope the foregoing helps in some way or another.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Midnight_Voice RE: Crash
Member 22nd Nov, 2010 00:03
Score: 42
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
It's quite possible to have been using Secunia PSI for several weeks, and only join the forum recently.

That's exactly what I did.

Looking at the crash details in the URL, this is a well-known PSI crash, and not a browser crash at all.

However, it usually doesn't affect existing stable users, AFAIR.

But with the Secunia servers going up and down like a yoyo, it's quite possible this was caused by that, and will not recur now the servers are back operational.

For at least as long as this happy state continues.

If PSI agrees you have programs (It won't if the servers are down) retry and see if the error recurs, or has now gone away.

--
A computer program can do anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 22nd Nov, 2010 08:09
Lots of things are possible Midnight Voice.....the two server wobblies of recent weeks, that I've been aware of, hardly warrant the description of "up and down like a yoyo " in my book. The last one I thought all had gotten over.
With regard to becoming a Secunia user and sometime later forum member, I tend not to have the confidence engendered to prompt me to click on a link. Each to our own sense of security I suppose.....spammers have become very wormy; and until such time as the issue is clarified by sixpack, I won't be taking anything for granted.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Midnight_Voice RE: Crash
Member 22nd Nov, 2010 12:35
Score: 42
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
on 22nd Nov, 2010 08:09, mogs wrote:
Lots of things are possible Midnight Voice.....the two server wobblies of recent weeks, that I've been aware of, hardly warrant the description of "up and down like a yoyo " in my book. The last one I thought all had gotten over.
With regard to becoming a Secunia user and sometime later forum member, I tend not to have the confidence engendered to prompt me to click on a link. Each to our own sense of security I suppose.....spammers have become very wormy; and until such time as the issue is clarified by sixpack, I won't be taking anything for granted.....regards,

There have been 4 outages to my certain knowledge. A review of the timestamps on the various groups of messages in here on the topic, or with issues caused by this where the poster does not realise what was going on (including one from me!) should confirm this.

I used 'yoyo' instead of the rather pithier rhyming expression we use in the UK, but the sentiment is the same.

We all get over each occurrence, and I don't even think it's necessary to rescan when service is restored and our data is re-presented to us; it seems to come back as it was when the server failed. It's a wise precaution to rescan, though, if any significant amount of time has passed.

As regards clicking on links, I absolutely take your point; and I guess none of us would be here if we weren't very security-conscious.

But there are ways of sneaking up on links which enable some (non-Secunia) security tools to sniff them first; and I'm familiar with twitpic and think it's pretty safe from being an attack vector. Though there's always a first time, of course....

However, having looked at the link, and survived, it's the classic 'TypeError' issue which is frequently reported here.

So whether he's referring to his drinking habits or a toned musculature, I think 'sixpack' may well be what he claims to be... :-)

--
A computer program can do anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Crash
Expert Contributor 22nd Nov, 2010 12:56
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 22nd Nov, 2010 13:00
I'll drink to that :)

I can confirm (I run my browsers sandboxed) , that what is being shown in the screen cap is a known Beta error and seemed to occur with the server problems as well .

In my case a rescan was most definitely needed to reset the the PSI 1.9.0.5004 in one instance ; in another case closure and restart from all Programmes (XP SP3) was required .

Not everyone was on the same timing in and out of the Server problems ; mine (4 to my knowledge) in the South of France (CET) was totally diferent but overlapping to LK who is in Holland (CET) .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sixpack RE: Crash
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 01:58
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Nov 2010
Hello all and thanks for the replies. I have been using Secuna PSI for years and recently have tried the latest beta 2.0 (as of about 2 weeks ago). I will try and give more details as to what seems to be happening.

First when I startup PSI2.0 it seems like its not reponding for a few seconds every 20 secs or so (doesn't respond to clicks, moving the window etc) It shows in task manager that it is not responding and eventually (maybe 10 mins) a dialog box pops up with close the program option. Here is the details from that dialog box:

Application Version: 1.9.0.5004
Application Timestamp: 4cd92dea
Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.0.7930.16406
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c7e04e9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0020ac05
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 77ae
Additional Information 2: 77ae3e255e158bf5949f4760c1c8a786
Additional Information 3: 12e7
Additional Information 4: 12e73a239a00712a75b947de37f23143

Also when first running PSI2.0 it uses 50% cpu until it stoped responding completely (cpu was 0% but the ram was still being used or at least reported by task manager) it was using over 500 mb of ram.

Personaly I would un-install this version and either re-install or fall back to a more stable version, but would like to know if there is anything I can do to give more information etc. that might help in development of this most valuable software.

Thanks, sixpack (Grant)

--
Windows 7 32bit
PSI 2.0 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 02:17
Last edited on 23rd Nov, 2010 02:20
Just tried to use PSI2.0 again and this time it seems to be working correctly. Approx 66mb ram and very little cpu usage (as I would expect). One thing I did notice right away is the "Secuna System Score" percentage listed at the top of the opening window is not messed up as shown in my earlier post.

And on a side note: If you are worried about links there are several link checkers available online for free. You could even use google if you would like:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site...

(replace website_url with the domain name you wish to check)

Cheers!

--
Windows 7 32bit
PSI 2.0 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Nov, 2010 08:48
Hello again sixpack !
Thankyou very much for the explanation etc.. I'd rather work towards more trust/friendliness than become overly reliant on scanners....you should understand we get lots of "one post wonders" who give minimal info; and occasionally with a bad attitude; who expect maximum return/input, and yet never return. Let alone fill in the details of "My Profile ", and provide more info in their Signature box. We even get "gushers" that quickly dry up ! I'm not particularly techie....Anthony seems more often to fit that description.....I hope you'll become a regular contributor to the forum.
Are you an XP user by chance or design ? They've had more problems with psi 2.0 Beta than any, seemingly. Glad that your's has finally settled in. I hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers !!........Regards.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 24th Nov, 2010 01:43
Tried using PSI 2.0 today and again the same problems that I listed were present. Everything happened the same; not responding the 50% cpu the 500mb ram and the strange messed up score percentage that is displayed at the top of the opening window. It seems that I can reproduce this consistently.

Then when I closed the non-responsive program in task manager I noticed that the tray icon was still there. I double clicked the icon and voila PSI opened and was working correctly. So maybe this is a problem with first launching PSI.

If there is no other useful information that you would like me to provide then I will be un-installing this version.

Thanks

--
Windows 7 32bit
PSI 2.0 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Nov, 2010 09:36
The only other suggestion I'd make.....being as it's working sometime, and at another, not.....inconsistancies......have you run CHKDSK recently ?
It might also be worth running the Memory Diagnostics Tool....which I think is also present in Windows 7 as in Vista ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Crash
Expert Contributor 24th Nov, 2010 11:54
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 24th Nov, 2010 11:56
@sixpack ,

If the problem can be reproduced you may wish to contact support@secunia.com by email concerning the "bug" and referencing this thread .

Another thread shows very high cpu usage concerning the psia.exe process ; it is not clear if this is independent of the error you experienced or whether it reoccurs with other connection problems between the PSI and Secunia servers :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/635...

Hope this helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
PetervdM RE: Crash
Member 24th Nov, 2010 18:57
User Since: 15th Nov 2010
i'm having the same issues as you, sixpack.
utilization is high, messed up score percentage, unresponsive, able to restart by double clicking the tray icon. didn't have this in beta3.
this is a fully patched windows 7 system.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability