Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Scan Results issues

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Midnight_Voice Scan Results issues
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 21:08
Ranking: 50
User Since: 1st Oct, 2010
System Score: 96%
I have the following issues with Scan Results. I'm happy to be told how to over come them, if it is possible.

Background: I started PSI on my W7 laptop, and it reported 99%; there was an update for Adobe Acrobat. It was prompting me to run it, which is fair enough, as that's what I have it set to.

So I started the update, and it ran through until the Install Status column said 'Waiting for update to c...' (or something like that) where it stayed more or less indefinitely.

I thought I could expand the column by the Windows-standard method of clicking on the boundary, but you can't. In fact, I couldn't widen the column at all, so I'm still none the wiser as to what 'c...' was. Complete? Conclude? Commence? Crash? Conga out of the door?

Conversely, the 'Program' column is about three times wider than it needs to be for even the longest program name I have. And I can't adjust that either :-(

However, vainly clicking on the end of the Programs (or any) column is not a complete waste of time, as a little arrow thingy comes up, and clicking this gives you a choice of Sort Ascending, Sort Descending or Columns.

Choosing Columns reveals that I have all possible columns selected except for 'Latest Patched Version'. And I can select this, and such a column will appear, and the other columns will adjust slightly to make some room for it.

But, but, but.... how do I keep that choice? It only lasts till I close PSI, and then it's gone again next time I open it.

Re Adobe Acrobat, BTW, it stayed at the mysterious '....c...' setting, even though opening Acrobat told me it was already at the new update status (9.4.1), whereas it was 9.3.something before.

And PSI wouldn't agree that Acrobat was updated, even with a subsequent further scan, until I closed and reopened it. Now it agrees, though it thinks Acrobat should be 9.4.1.0 and mine is 9.4.1.222, so PSI has got a bit behind here.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz

Post "RE: Scan Results issues" has been selected as an answer.
lvdaston RE: Scan Results issues
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 21:26
Score: 1
User Since: 3rd Aug 2010
System Score: N/A
I had a similar problem with the Adobe Reader. It was stuck on 'Waiting for update to c..." permanently, after a successful installation. Upon checking the metadata for the new Reader executable, which I presume PSI uses to check for version information, I noticed that Adobe entered 9.3.something for the 9.4.1 version. Even though in the Reader itself under “About” correctly reports 9.4.1.

Maybe Acrobat's metadata is/was incorrect too.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Midnight_Voice RE: Scan Results issues
Member 26th Nov, 2010 21:55
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
Further investigation shows me that you can in fact alter the column sizes, though it needs an incredibly precise mouse positioning on the exact boundary between the column you want to alter and the next.

So maybe I'll find out what 'c.....' is, next time it happens.

I also find, from the documentation (when all else fails, read the documentation) that you can rearrange the columns with drag and drop.

However, this (and presumably also turning on the one column missing from the possibilities, or turning off existing ones) can't be saved, and so reverts to the standard widths, positioning and selection of columns, on closing and reopening PSI.

It would be nice(r) if these settings were preserved when the program is closed and reopened, though.....

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Scan Results issues
Expert Contributor 27th Nov, 2010 12:59
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello M_V ,

You seem to have answered all your own queries .

If it is any consolation to you , I can confirm that having queried the "not saved column" settings in the earlier Beta(s) , Secunia support advised me that it was a deliberate design feature ; with my ageing eyes , etc. , I prefer to set my own layout for column N°s , size , etc.

they said they would look into it ; so far , it seems not to be (remembered , in both cases :(()

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer