xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows Vista SP2--insecure?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Windows Vista

This thread has been marked as locked.
dickmorris Windows Vista SP2--insecure?
Member 29th Nov, 2010 23:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
One of my computers (a Compaq Presario SR5010NX) is running Vista SP 2. Microsoft Update shows no critical updates for this machine, yet PSI tells me that Windows Vista Service Pack 2 is insecure, even after I've run MS Update. I have tried reinstalling SP2 to no avail. Rescanning still says Vista SP2 is insecure. What gives?

TiMow RE: Windows Vista SP2--insecure?
Dedicated Contributor 30th Nov, 2010 08:35
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 30th Nov, 2010 08:39
Hi Dick

I'm a great believer in the worth of PSI, but, unfortunately, from time to time, it does seem to throw up the odd, so-called "false positive", relating to M$ software and operating systems.

As you appear to have the latest SP for Vista, there's a chance this may also be one instance (after a quick search of Secunia Advisories, I haven't found anything current for Vista SP2).

Things to try:

1) If using PSI 1.5.0.2 (or earlier**) - right click tray icon, select Exit; then re-launch PSI from Start>All Programs;

2) Consider downloading and running Belarc Advisor - this is good at determining if any M$ hotfixes are missing:

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

3) When you checked M$ Updates, did you select "Custom"? Are there any optional, security related updates for Vista?

4) As you're probably aware, a few checks of M$ Updates, followed by re-booting, is sometimes required.

5) Finally after a re-boot, re-scan PSI again.

Based on previous instances, reported here on the forum, I can't help thinking that this is more likely a reporting problem, than an actual insecurity - but that is just my opinion.

TiMow

**EDIT: If using an earlier PSI version, you should update to minimum 1.5.0.2 (download link top right, above). If already using this version, a final consideration may be to un- and re- install it.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TiMow RE: Windows Vista SP2--insecure?
Dedicated Contributor 30th Nov, 2010 18:47
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
By means of a post script, another user had a similar problem to yours, but with XP.
As possible help (because of similarities), I directed him to this thread to review my reply, above.

With the above info. he was able to solve his problem, by using Belarc Advisor, and re-checking M$ Updates relating to M$ Office 2007 and issues with PPV 2003.

I don't know if the similarities continue, or this still remains a possible reporting discrepancy.

If you wanted to check out his course of action, you can see his second post (albeit brief), on the following thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/657...

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
MaritimeRider RE: Windows Vista SP2--insecure?
Member 30th Nov, 2010 21:49
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
This is not a new issue. It is an invalid false positive. I seem to remember reading this some time ago. I run SP2 with vista since it originally became available. Showing as an security issue only occurred once. You may find info on the MS site rather than secunia for more info. However, other readers may know more. If SP1
has not been updated to SP2 then a security issue is present.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
blinddj49 RE: Windows Vista SP2--insecure?
Member 30th Nov, 2010 21:58
Score: 0
User Since: 28th May 2010
Thanks, TiMow. I'm using the latest version of PSI. It's my wife's computer, and she lets me handle all the updates, etc. At the time I started this thread, there were no additional updates for Vista SP2. I'd checked several times (I don't really like the way Vista does updates as compared to XP). But the next morning there were two critical updates, and after I installed them, PSI said the machine was finally secure.

I tend to think, as you said, that it was the odd false positive; it had been going on for several weeks, and those updates didn't show until today. I will, however, install Belarc Advisor on her machine just in case I need it.

Thanks again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer