Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: WinDVD 4.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
panderson WinDVD 4.x
Member 10th Dec, 2010 14:50
Ranking: -3
User Since: 9th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
This shows as end of life. Recommended to install newer version form vendor (don't know how to, or even if I use it!). There is no download solution, and when I tried to remove it the box stated that to do so could make some programs not work. What programs would be affected? Any advice would be appreciated.
C:\Program Files\ InterVideo\WinDVD.exe
I have Windows XP Home Edition and service pack 3.

Anthony Wells RE: WinDVD 4.x
Expert Contributor 10th Dec, 2010 15:36
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Your programme contains Intervideo codecs which may (or may not) be needed to let you see and hear videos ; the problem is discussed at lenght in this very long thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/249...

Have a read and let us know if you need more advice .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
panderson RE: WinDVD 4.x
Member 10th Dec, 2010 16:51
Score: -3
User Since: 9th Dec 2010
Don't know about advice, need to regain the will to live! I have no sound on CD/DVD player, so it might not matter if I remove WinDVD, is that right? Of course, I would like sound. Is WinDVD the same as the Gold that was mentioned in the forum link that you sent? In other words, on PSI there is no download solution so, do I need to expire this end of life thing that is taking up so much time ot sort that I don't have time to watch anything anyway.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Dec, 2010 17:21
Last edited on 10th Dec, 2010 17:24
Before you succumb to a soundless fate ; worse than ...

Your version 4.x comes before the 5.x version mentioned in the thread , but the same info applies in general :ie: you will need to purchase the latest version if you wish to update .
Before deleting a programme , it is useful to see if "stopping" it gives you any -ve side effects ; the simple way top do this is to rename the problem programme which will stop both the bad guys getting to it and the PSI reporting it .

To rename , use the open folder facility in the PSI - found in the "toolbox" in v1.5.0.2 and it is the second folder before (to the left of) the "detected instances" path in the Beta (in both cases click the [+] to the left of the programme display) - or navigate to the folder/file using explorer .

Once there , right click the ...\WinDVD.exe file and select "rename" and add ""_old" to the file name (without my quotation marks) to give you the file name ...\WinDVD.exe_old . Do a full scan with the PSI and let us know the result .

Which software programme are you using to view soundless CD/DVD's on your system ?? Is it Windows Media Player or have you installed something else ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
panderson RE: WinDVD 4.x
Member 10th Dec, 2010 18:55
Score: -3
User Since: 9th Dec 2010
Hello lifesaver
For some reason I have sorted it, not sure how, but hey ho it's no longer a threat.

Have got Windows Media Player, however, I get pretty colours on the screen but no sound.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Dec, 2010 20:01
Last edited on 10th Dec, 2010 20:03
Hi ,

Have to go out soon , so will post this and get back to you tomorrow or Sunday or Monday - as time permits .

Pretty colours are good , deafness less so and both makes life more cheerful .

First do things step by step and if you have a problem make sure you can retrace your steps ; if you are not sure do not fiddle but go back or ask !! It is not difficult , just follow instructions .

Do not know why you have no sound , but it could be a codec problem , so let's try to rectify that as first step :-

Download the K-Lite Codec pack and put the 6.6.0 Standard (or Full if you know what is different that is on offer) version "installer" where you can find it again ; run it and select the default install option in the pop up window - note : if you mouse wheel scroll through the display , you change the options in the top drop down menu from default to others (scroll up to reset) , so use the side bar for a complete review . You can select the Media Player Classic Home Cinema as version1.4.27444.0 and see if you wish to use it as an alternative to WMP - do not select the MPC without Home Cinema .

To play sound and vision make sure you can see that the "MPEG 2" is selected and that it is not the Intervideo codec being offered .

In all other cases select "default" or "recommended" as the option unless you know you want something listed as an alternative (unlikely) .

If you mess up a selection or you come across any incoherence , either use the "go back" option or rerun the installer and it will start afresh for you . Early on , you can select the custom install so you see everything offered , but you still want to stick with default , plus try the MPC Home Cinema and ensure you have an MPEG2 selection .

When 6.6.0. is installed you will get a prompt to load update 6.6.1 which you need to update the MPC-HC , it will not change any settings :-

http://www.codecguide.com/features_standard.htm

Let us know your progress .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability