Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: M$ Office Power Point 2003 still is unpatched

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mlurp M$ Office Power Point 2003 still is unpatched
Member 11th Dec, 2010 19:51
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
Even though twice now I have clicked solutions and D/L the 2007 version.

Secunia PSI shows it is in C: Mircosoft Office 11. Yet in C: Program Files, I have another Microsoft Office 12.

Help please........

Post "RE: M$ Office Power Point 2003 still is unpatched" has been selected as an answer.
TiMow RE: M$ Office Power Point 2003 still is unpatched
Dedicated Contributor 11th Dec, 2010 20:33
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
As far as I know the whole Office 11 folder is obsolete and has been replaced by the Office 12 folder.

PPV 2003 is located in the Office 11 folder and can be deleted. I'm almost certain the whole Office 11 folder is no longer needed, providing Office 12 is present.

Click [+] on l.h.s. of PPV 2003 (Insecure tab / Advanced), and chose open folder.

With Office 11 highlighted on left (Windows Explorer Window), find the PPTVIEW icon on right and delete.

Alternatively Open Folder may take you to "Power Point Viewer" folder (under Office 12, on left). Again find PPTVIEW icon on right and delete.

If unsure about deleting, you can right click the icon and chose Rename. Add _old after PPTVIEW; i.e. PPTVIEW_old.

Re-scan PSI

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

shanne

Buy the NFL shirt is one of the best choice
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
mlurp RE: M$ Office Power Point 2003 still is unpatched
Member 12th Dec, 2010 17:42
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Jul 2008
Last edited on 12th Dec, 2010 17:50
on 11th Dec, 2010 20:33, TiMow wrote:
As far as I know the whole Office 11 folder is obsolete and has been replaced by the Office 12 folder.

PPV 2003 is located in the Office 11 folder and can be deleted. I'm almost certain the whole Office 11 folder is no longer needed, providing Office 12 is present.

Click [+] on l.h.s. of PPV 2003 (Insecure tab / Advanced), and chose open folder.

With Office 11 highlighted on left (Windows Explorer Window), find the PPTVIEW icon on right and delete.

Alternatively Open Folder may take you to "Power Point Viewer" folder (under Office 12, on left). Again find PPTVIEW icon on right and delete.

If unsure about deleting, you can right click the icon and chose Rename. Add _old after PPTVIEW; i.e. PPTVIEW_old.

Re-scan PSI

TiMow

Seeing the older version is in my C: folder, can I just go into it and delete the PPV app?
Or just delete the one of 3 folders in M$ Office. Office 11, or delete all after making a Restore Point.
I have Media, Office11 and Templates. What would be the best to do while in the C: Folder?

I don't quite understand all of what your saying. But thank you for trying to reach my dim mind when related to Vista and newer OS's.

Also is there a LOG OUT Button? And where?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: M$ Office Power Point 2003 still is unpatched
Handling Contributor 12th Dec, 2010 18:52
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
If U only have Microsoft Office "Freebie" programmes (readers) installed it is safe to delete the Office 11 folder.

It is unwise to do the same if U have a full Microsoft Office Suite or individual Office programmes installed,particularly Microsoft Outlook,as the Office 11 folder contains legacy files which may be required.

If that is the case just delete the offending PPTVIEW.EXE file.

If U are talking about logging out of the Forum just close the browser page.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
TiMow RE: M$ Office Power Point 2003 still is unpatched
Dedicated Contributor 12th Dec, 2010 18:54
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 12th Dec, 2010 18:57
If using PSI 1.5.0.2, click "Advanced" (top right of window), then OK.
Click "End-of-Life" tab, where PowerPoint Viewer 2003 should be listed and click on [+] on its left.
Now you will see additional details and "Toolbox" icons - click on "Open Folder".
[If using PSI 2.0 beta, under "Scan Results", click on [+] on left, then on the folder without the red blob in the corner].
This will now take you to the file location in a new window.
On left side of this window the Office11 folder should be highlighted**(see below).
On right side of this window are more icons. Find the brown-framed square, named "PPTVIEW".
Hover the mouse curser over this and the pop-up details box should give File Version: 11.0.8305.0, to confirm this is the old one. (if not exactly the same number, as long as it begins with "11").
Right click, then delete.

Re-scan PSI.

**When I ran M$ update to update to PPV 2007, this created the new Office12 folder, which replaced the Office11 folder. The End-of-Life PPV 2003 was located in the next folder down - "PowerPoint Viewer". The new PPV 2007 is in the Office12 folder.

If you have folders for both Office11 and Office12, you should be able to delete the Office11 - but this is your decision. It depends whether your M$ Office is part of M$ Office (paid) or not. I don't have M$ Office, so I can only see from my perspective - I have no Office11 folder, now.

Finally, your Q. "Also is there a LOG OUT Button? And where?"
Do you mean from the forum? If so look for the grey Logout button towards the top of the forum page, on the left.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 12th Dec, 2010 21:26
on 12th Dec, 2010 18:52, Maurice Joyce wrote:
If U only have Microsoft Office "Freebie" programmes (readers) installed it is safe to delete the Office 11 folder.

It is unwise to do the same if U have a full Microsoft Office Suite or individual Office programmes installed,particularly Microsoft Outlook,as the Office 11 folder contains legacy files which may be required.

If that is the case just delete the offending PPTVIEW.EXE file.

If U are talking about logging out of the Forum just close the browser page.

Okey I think you and I are getting it done. Here is my situation: M$ Office comes from when I got this 32 Bit Vista P. Home, Bought last summer. I use them little, but don't want to create any problems.

I click Start/All Programs and in Microsoft Office when clicked I have 5 folders.
1. M$ Office Excel

2. M$ Office Outlook

3. " " Power Point Viewer 2003

4. " " Word 2003

5. " " Office Tools

So you would recommend deleting the PPV app. in the C: M$ Office 11 Folder, yes?

As I have in Program Files the newer Office 12 and looking at the Date last modified the PPV in Office 11 is 1-15-2010. And a few bites less in size.

While in Program Files/M$ Office12 the PPV is 9-14-2010 and is about 215 Bites larger..

I am asking your opinion and knowledge.. Thanks for the help so far.. mlurp

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Dec, 2010 21:31
Just confirm something for me. Have U got the Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Suite installed?

If unsure go to Control Panel>add/remove & there should be an entry.

While there what else have U got Office wise? Powerpoint Viewer 2007? Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack 2007?

The more info the better.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 12th Dec, 2010 21:32
on 12th Dec, 2010 18:54, TiMow wrote:
If using PSI 1.5.0.2, click "Advanced" (top right of window), then OK.
Click "End-of-Life" tab, where PowerPoint Viewer 2003 should be listed and click on [+] on its left.
Now you will see additional details and "Toolbox" icons - click on "Open Folder".
[If using PSI 2.0 beta, under "Scan Results", click on [+] on left, then on the folder without the red blob in the corner].
This will now take you to the file location in a new window.
On left side of this window the Office11 folder should be highlighted**(see below).
On right side of this window are more icons. Find the brown-framed square, named "PPTVIEW".
Hover the mouse curser over this and the pop-up details box should give File Version: 11.0.8305.0, to confirm this is the old one. (if not exactly the same number, as long as it begins with "11").
Right click, then delete.

Re-scan PSI.

**When I ran M$ update to update to PPV 2007, this created the new Office12 folder, which replaced the Office11 folder. The End-of-Life PPV 2003 was located in the next folder down - "PowerPoint Viewer". The new PPV 2007 is in the Office12 folder.

If you have folders for both Office11 and Office12, you should be able to delete the Office11 - but this is your decision. It depends whether your M$ Office is part of M$ Office (paid) or not. I don't have M$ Office, so I can only see from my perspective - I have no Office11 folder, now.

Do you mean from the forum? If so look for the grey Logout button towards the top of the forum page, on the left.

Thanks now I understand, I haven't use the advance sense the last update/upgrade. Yes I now am on the same page.
Just I would if it had in the New office 12 the Mesia And Template Folders. But 12 doesn't they are in Office 11 which is in my C: drive. So easy to do. yet can still create problems with M$ Word which I use a lot.

So depending on future responses I'm looking at just deleting the PPV in office 11 but holding off for a whil elonger..

And thanks for the help getting my mind off football and back into my problem... Thanks much and if you can help further please reply. mlurp
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2010 21:38
on 12th Dec, 2010 21:31, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Just confirm something for me. Have U got the Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Suite installed?

If unsure go to Control Panel>add/remove & there should be an entry.

While there what else have U got Office wise? Powerpoint Viewer 2007? Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack 2007?

The more info the better.

It is M$ Office Standard Edition 2003... And M$ Office Power Point Vierwer 2007, english. lol

What do you think? I will make a Restore Point before I do anything incase.

Much thanks, keep it coming....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Dec, 2010 22:06
I need more information before fixing.

1.Confirm what action U have taken from the advice @Timow has given U. Have U deleted or renamed anything?

2. Which OS are U using? XP SP3?

3. Go to Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>Clean up - once this programme has run can U see OFFICE FILES for cleaning - THEY ARE ABOUT 200,000KB - if present DO NOT DELETE/ALLOW THEM TO BE CLEANED.

4.I assume U have not got a genuine Microsoft Office Standard Disk for reinstall Office?

No hurry, I am just going to start a remote fixing session with someone which could take a while.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 12th Dec, 2010 22:36
on 12th Dec, 2010 22:06, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I need more information before fixing.

1.Confirm what action U have taken from the advice @Timow has given U. Have U deleted or renamed anything?

2. Which OS are U using? XP SP3?

3. Go to Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>Clean up - once this programme has run can U see OFFICE FILES for cleaning - THEY ARE ABOUT 200,000KB - if present DO NOT DELETE/ALLOW THEM TO BE CLEANED.

4.I assume U have not got a genuine Microsoft Office Standard Disk for reinstall Office?

No hurry, I am just going to start a remote fixing session with someone which could take a while.

Again thanks and no hurry as the Chiefs and Chargers game just started.

OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2 ( I see below it upgrade Vista in Blue)
HP is the manufacture, the model # is m8400f, and 3 disks from Best Buy, but I don't want to have to do a re-install period.
I will make a new "Restore Point"

As for all advise so far I have NOT taken any action, just when thru the process. But did nothing.

I know that by waiting to act I will have the proper data and way to solve this problem without any other problems coming next.

@Timow and you plus so many others here are good at doing this for me to be able to correct the problem and not worry afterwards.

PS I always shut down the PC each evening... And come Monday or real soon is M$ Updates for Dec.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Dec, 2010 22:44
Fine - there is NO CHANCE of having to reinstall Windows to fix this issue.

Can U confirm this?
Go to Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>Clean up - once this programme has run can U see OFFICE FILES for cleaning - THEY ARE ABOUT 200,000KB - if present DO NOT DELETE/ALLOW THEM TO BE CLEANED.

While waiting for a reply I will prepare a solution for U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 13th Dec, 2010 00:43
on 12th Dec, 2010 22:44, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Fine - there is NO CHANCE of having to reinstall Windows to fix this issue.

GREAT...........................

Can U confirm this? YES...............
Go to Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>Clean up - once this programme has run can U see OFFICE FILES for cleaning - THEY ARE ABOUT 200,000KB - if present DO NOT DELETE/ALLOW THEM TO BE CLEANED.

While waiting for a reply I will prepare a solution for U.

Hi, again and again thanks for your time and knowledge.

Okey I went thru the process (deleting nothing) I have Office Set Up in there, thats all and it had "0" in amopunt of the 640 MB I could delete.

But many are window's created, and I run Window Washer 2011. So most of the junk files I do get removed or cleaned already.

I need to look at all the W. Washer cleaned files to see if there is any connection back to Disk Cleanup Tool.

After all this time I thought gee, M$ is making it harder for me to get under the hood as I used to do with XP and earlier models.

Okey back to the solution... To quote you, if present DO NOT DELETE/ALLOW THEM TO BE CLEANED. end quote.

If all are left blank how does it even run? I gathered long ago that this tool deletes files/folders, am I wrong?

I shall bring it back up and see if I can find a way to run it with all unchecked.. But if you have any answers or suggestions please make them,
as I am going to monitor the thread. By checking my e-mail...

Again I can not thank you enough, just for the knowledge of thinking Vista had removed my ability to play with this PC a bit more. Maybe them video's on introduction are worth the time needed.

When so many are so busy, and put them off.

Later.... mlurp

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Dec, 2010 01:04
on 12th Dec, 2010 18:54, TiMow wrote:

Last first.. I got it. It was all I could do plus deeleting private info using the browser IE 8.

My question at this point has to be, In both Office11 and 12 did they load in the same location in C:?
As my new Office 12 which has only this folder with office 12 in it.

While my older M$ Office 11 has 3 folders, Media, Office 11 which I can get to PTView.

and Temp Plates. I would think that I can only delete Office 11 from the my C: drive.

Office 12 went into Program Files... Again it only has Office 12 when clicked I have choices one being the newer PTV View, there are less files but 2 other folders.

Yet I get newer dates in Office 11 while Office 12 is from 2008. As is Office 11. I might have done something in the C: but never try to do a thing in Program Files.

And I thought it was just a year old... lol Help...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Dec, 2010 01:37
To give U a bit of confidence(!)I will first explain what PPTVIEW.EXE does within Microsoft Office & then give details of how to fix the vulnerability found by PSI plus upgrade Microsoft Office 2003 so that it fully integrates with Microsoft Office 2007 & 2010.

A Microsoft Office Suite does not require a Viewer to be able to read anything. That said, MS Office 2003 does require an upgrade to enable it to read files created by MS Office 2007/2010 which,by default,use a new file extension system (Open XML). This is the real reason the office 2003 viewer is showing as a problem.

The PPTVIEWER embedded in MS OFFICE 2003 is only used (optionally) if U PERSONALLY CREATE a Powerpoint Show & save it to disk. If ever required in the future it will recreate itself from the actions we take.

1.Firstly,go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall the clearly marked Powerpoint Viewer 2007.

2.Next,to clear the vulnerability/End of Life problem with the 2003 viewer navigate to the PPTVIEW.EXE file found by PSI,right click & rename(modify) the end bit to read PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD

3. Run a full PSI scan. The vulnerability should have gone & Powerpoint Viewer 2007 should not be showing as an installed programme. Please come back to the Forum before proceeding if this is not true.

4.If everything is in order click here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/microsof...

5. Download & run the clearly marked link to fully upgrade MS Office 2003.

6. Now run Windows Update and install all the Office updates offered. Check Windows Update a couple of times to ensure U get them all - U may require to reboot.

7.Once complete run a full PSI rescan. All should be in order. If that is so, U are now secure & your Office Suite is fully updated ready for Tuesday's Microsoft Monthly updates!!

8.If all is not in order it may be a good idea to reboot before coming back to the Forum. In the unlikely event of an outstanding issue after the reboot what paths does PSI give U?

FINDING A FILE PATH

ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2 (BETA)

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V)) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum.

PSI VERSION 2 (BETA)

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V)) that path back to the Forum.

Hope this is helpful.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+12
Member 13th Dec, 2010 03:20
Last edited on 13th Dec, 2010 03:22
on 13th Dec, 2010 01:37, Maurice Joyce wrote:
To give U a bit of confidence(!)I will first explain what PPTVIEW.EXE does within Microsoft Office & then give details of how to fix the vulnerability found by PSI plus upgrade Microsoft Office 2003 so that it fully integrates with Microsoft Office 2007 & 2010.

A Microsoft Office Suite does not require a Viewer to be able to read anything. That said, MS Office 2003 does require an upgrade to enable it to read files created by MS Office 2007/2010 which,by default,use a new file extension system (Open XML). This is the real reason the office 2003 viewer is showing as a problem.

The PPTVIEWER embedded in MS OFFICE 2003 is only used (optionally) if U PERSONALLY CREATE a Powerpoint Show & save it to disk. If ever required in the future it will recreate itself from the actions we take.

1.Firstly,go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall the clearly marked Powerpoint Viewer 2007.

2.Next,to clear the vulnerability/End of Life problem with the 2003 viewer navigate to the PPTVIEW.EXE file found by PSI,right click & rename(modify) the end bit to read PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD

3. Run a full PSI scan. The vulnerability should have gone & Powerpoint Viewer 2007 should not be showing as an installed programme. Please come back to the Forum before proceeding if this is not true.

4.If everything is in order click here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/microsof...

5. Download & run the clearly marked link to fully upgrade MS Office 2003.

I AM SORRY FOR THE CAPS. I WANT YOU TO SEE THIS. I DID ALL THE ABOVE. BUT ONCE TRYING TO INSTALL I HAD A ACCEPT THIS, WHICH I DID AND CLICKED CONTINUE.

THEN A POP UP SAYING I HAVE A VERSION RUNNING AND THE INSTALL CAN'T CONTINUE.
I EVEN CHECKED ALL AGAIN. I am happy I made a restore Point before deleting the PP Viewer 2007.

Now What? I am in the same boat I was before the update. HELP AGAIN. I don't use the viewer can I just delete it. Or delete the PPTVIEW, in C: M$ Office 11 and do the reinstall.

Or use "RESTORE" to get back where I was????

6. Now run Windows Update and install all the Office updates offered. Check Windows Update a couple of times to ensure U get them all - U may require to reboot.

7.Once complete run a full PSI rescan. All should be in order. If that is so, U are now secure & your Office Suite is fully updated ready for Tuesday's Microsoft Monthly updates!!

8.If all is not in order it may be a good idea to reboot before coming back to the Forum. In the unlikely event of an outstanding issue after the reboot what paths does PSI give U?

FINDING A FILE PATH

ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2 (BETA)

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V)) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum.

PSI VERSION 2 (BETA)

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V)) that path back to the Forum.

Hope this is helpful.

Up to a point yes... I am going to switch to Advance in PSI and run a scan right now.

I will check back when done.. PLEASE LOOK AT THE CAPS ABOVE. After step 5.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Dec, 2010 03:49
Hi again Maurice,

I set PSI to advance. Ran a scan and it shows 100% patched.

I went to the tool box and can't copy and paste to here with limited instructions.

PSI should have it so I can highlight and copy. Then come here and paste it.

BUt the install path is C:Mircosoft Office\OFFICE 11\POWERPNT.EXE

And it is for Microsoft Power Point 2003

Where do we go from here?

Have a good evening and if possible we can turn this around to morrow or I can if you agree use the "Restore Point" and work from there.

Again thanks,

mlurp
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Dec, 2010 08:45
To copy & paste U need to highlight the text & press CTRL+C then to paste to here use CTRL+V.

I am somewhat confused. I thought U started this thread by saying Powerpoint Viewer 2003 was End of Life/Insecure & U had PowerPoint Viewer 2007 installed longside Microsoft Office Standard 2003.

Are U now suggesting that a 100% PSI scan results in U not having any INSECURE or END of LIFE programmes?

Copy & paste whatever detail U think may help.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+