xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Why is PPV 2003 marked "end of life" ?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003

This thread has been marked as locked.
corby Why is PPV 2003 marked "end of life" ?
Member 16th Dec, 2010 19:07
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
I haven't found anything from Microsoft that says PPV 2003 is End of Life. Yes, they do have a newer PPV, but I still don't find anything that suggests the 2003 version is EOL. Is there a KB or other vendor documentation that says the 2003 version is no longer supported?

Also, I would think Microsoft Update would offer up the newer version if the older version is EOL.

Having PSI call it EOL is causing alot of confusion for users on what to do, because there's no automated update from Microsoft or PSI that replaces the offending file. (Yes, I understand how to rename the file so PSI doesn't flag it anymore)

Even manually installing the new version doesn't automatically remove the 2003 version from the system.

TiMow RE: Why is PPV 2003 marked "end of life" ?
Dedicated Contributor 16th Dec, 2010 19:48
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2010 19:52
PPV 2003 is E-o-L because it's been replaced by PPV 2007, downloaded from the following link (if M$ Update doesn't download/install it):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx...

The old PPV 2003 should be in the Office11 folder where it can be deleted or renamed by adding " _old " after PPTVIEW.

The only complication is whether or not you have the paid M$ Office suite, or PPV is stand alone - this relates to requirement of the Office11 folder.

TiMow

EDIT: If using a Dell PC, there has been an embedded version of PPV 2003 in Dell MediaDirect, which cannot be updated unless MediaDirect is updated. If using a Dell, check the installation path.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
corby RE: Why is PPV 2003 marked "end of life" ?
Member 16th Dec, 2010 20:18
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Nov 2010
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2010 20:19
Yes, I understand there's a newer version. But I haven't seen anything that says the 2003 version is no longer supported.

In fact, the 2003 version was updated last month.

What vendor documentation says it won't be updated in the future?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Why is PPV 2003 marked "end of life" ?
Dedicated Contributor 16th Dec, 2010 21:53
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2010 22:01
I haven't been able to find an announcement about PPV 2003 being end of life. But it is no longer available on the Download Centre.
The November Security Bulletin has been revised and now only refers to PowerPoint Viewer 2007 SP2 (KB2413381). There is an update for PowerPoint 2003 SP3 which includes a version of PPTVIEW.exe dated January 2010 (KB2413304).
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458112/en-us?spid...
All very confusing.

There is also a 2010 version available from the Download Centre
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Why is PPV 2003 marked "end of life" ?
Member 17th Dec, 2010 09:42
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2010 09:43 Hi,

Our criteria for marking software as End-Of-Life is rather simple: Either the vendor outright states that the product is no longer supported (As in this case), or they simply stop releasing critical updates for that version.

Microsoft has stated that PPV 2003 is no longer supported
(unknown source)

In accordance with the Microsoft Product Lifecycle Policy, we are now providing notice that the Excel Viewer 2003 and Word Viewer 2003 web downloads will leave support on December 31st, 2009. Notice was previously provided on the PowerPoint Viewer 2003 download page that the PowerPoint Viewer 2003 will be retired on October 16th, 2009.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engine...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976881

Please note that this only applies to the stand-alone versions of PPV 2003, and not Microsoft Offie/Powerpoint 2003, which is still supported.
Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Why is PPV 2003 marked "end of life" ?
Dedicated Contributor 17th Dec, 2010 12:28
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
The Technet blog also states that:

The version of PowerPoint Viewer 2003 that is included with PowerPoint 2003 and used in the “Package for CD” feature will continue to be supported.

This is what is causing the confusion, because the PSI is picking this up and flagging it as end of life. There doesn't seem to be any way to distinguish between the two cases as they use the same program name and reside it the same file. Should users of PowerPoint 2003 create an ignore rule for the viewer and hope that any missing updates would be detected through PowerPoint itself?

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability