Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Suggested New Feature

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
gentryme Suggested New Feature
Member 17th Dec, 2010 02:40
Ranking: 12
User Since: 7th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Upon PSI's scanning it will report whether there has been a program addition (or if something has been removed since its last scan) a subtraction--however selecting the PSI System Tray area "popup" (Bubble) which signifies a new program has been added, results in the complete list of Patched Programs appearing.

If PSI has the ability of knowing the number of Patched Programs has changed, then it seems it ought to be within the realm of possibility that PSI can also identify the NAME of the new program. It ought to do this either by identifying the new program(s) in a list all to itself (and until acknowledged would remain on this separate list)--and until acknowledgement (or after some configurable amount of time goes by), it then appears with all the rest of the programs.

OR- perhaps easier still, is to simply highlight the newly found program(s) and showcase it/them with a different colored background so as to distinguish it from all the other programs as being "new"....

An explicit service PSI provides is alerting the user when Patched Programs require attention, but an important implicit service is also alerting the user as to when something "new" was detected by PSI, which is important if something, somehow, slipped the user's notice and installed itself under radar.

When the list of Patched Programs gets long, it becomes more difficult for a user to potentially distinguish which item represents the "new" program. Displaying the actual program name in an altered background from the mainstream list would make such identification easily possible.

For items that have been removed (subtracted), showing these in a format that is made to look like the standard Windows style depicting something that has been disabled (i.e., "greyed out")--would still provide the user with the name of the application that has been removed.

Giving the user some positive means to acknowledge either state (i.e., added or removed) would make a removed item disappear entirely from the list, while the presentation of a new item would simply change the background to make it match all the others.

And the user would better know the state of their PC as presented by PSI.

Just a thought....

--
Regards,

Mike Gentry

This user no longer exists RE: Suggested New Feature
Member 17th Dec, 2010 09:34
Hi,

This feature is already implemented! :)

First, make sure you have the most recent build installed:
http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe

Then, go to the configuration tab and enable 'show detailed program changes'. Now, when a program has been altered, the PSI should show you the program's full name, too!

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Suggested New Feature
Expert Contributor 17th Dec, 2010 18:27
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2010 18:29
Hi ,

I can confirm that the latest Beta (1.9.0.6001) does now display full details of programme changes in the tray icon popup bubble ; this may happen in "real time" or be delayed . If you are not looking at your screen and you miss it there is no easy source of seeing into the past or being prompted to look anywhere/elsewhere **.

If I enable "Create log file" in "settings" , the file I get on my system in my "My Documents" folder (as described in the settings module) offers no insight ; however in my C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\ folder I have an sualog and two psialog files : the most up to date psialog file gives me/perhaps you an extravagant amount of file detection detail for new files . If you have the time , wit and tech knowledge (like what I don't have) you could see details of (in my case) Chrome browser , M$KB's of the 15th Dec., Java and M$ Silerlight arriving by the millisecond .

So there is either famine or feast , a nice/brief/recent update history module** similar to the "auto update" one would be a good thing for me .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
gentryme RE: Suggested New Feature
Member 18th Dec, 2010 02:29
Score: 12
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
Thanks very much. I tested this out this morning with the latest release (I was a release behind, and did not know it). Configured as you state, this ought to do the trick. I've not installed/uninstalled any other programs to test this out yet, but based on yours and Anthony Wells' input, this appears this answers the mail.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

--
Regards,

Mike Gentry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gentryme RE: Suggested New Feature
Member 18th Dec, 2010 02:30
Score: 12
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
Thanks for this information, Anthony.... I'll take a look at those logs. Sounds like one of those possesses a wealth of information.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

--
Regards,

Mike Gentry
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability