navigation bar left navigation bar right

Secunia CSI7
navigation left tab Advisories navigation right tab
navigation left tab Research navigation right tab
navigation left tab Forums navigation right tab
navigation left tab Create Profile navigation right tab
navigation left tab Our Commitment navigation right tab
PSI
PSI API
CSI
OSI
xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 Beta stopped working

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
mbrazil PSI 2.0 Beta stopped working
Member 17th Dec, 2010 08:52
Ranking: 0
Posts: 8
User Since: 2nd Feb, 2008
System Score: 92%
Location: US
I've been using the beta for quite a while, but today it stopped working properly. When the window opens, the progress indicator (little boxes that turn red) never shows any activity, no matter how long I wait. The window can be minimized and restored, and the tray icon is active.

I uninstalled it, downloaded a new copy of the beta installer, and reinstalled it, but it made no difference.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 with all subsequent updates, including those released this week. I made no changes to security software running on my computer (other than the latest updates from Microsoft) at or near the time the problem developed.

--
Mike Brazil

This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 Beta stopped working
Member 17th Dec, 2010 09:45
Hi,

Please try following this guide: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Has this resolved the issue? If not, start by applying all available patches from Microsoft, reboot your system, and try again.
Are you still unable to run the Beta?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
-0
mbrazil RE: PSI 2.0 Beta stopped working
Member 17th Dec, 2010 10:03
Score: 0
Posts: 8
User Since: 2nd Feb 2008
System Score: 92%
Location: US
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2010 10:04
I solved the problem inadvertently in the process of solving a different problem with the Windows mmc. There was an extra key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zones that had a graphic character () as its name instead of a numeric value. This appeared at the top of the column in Zones above the key "0". This was somehow interfering with the ability to run ActiveX controls. I was getting an error message whenever I tried to run services.msc, gpedit.msc, etc. This led me to a solution I found online. Apparently, this rogue key is somehow generated when Adobe Flash is updated.

PSI beta 2 is now working properly again.

Thanks!




--
Mike Brazil
Was this reply relevant?
+0
-0

This thread has been marked as locked.


 Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company
 
 Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom


Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC
 
Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+