Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 Final Released!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
M.Hansen PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Secunia Official 20th Dec, 2010 13:26
Ranking: 188
User Since: 26th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi

We are proud to present PSI 2.0 Final!
Go download it now!:
http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

We would like to thank all of the Beta tester which has given us feedback the last couple of months helping us to improve the PSI even more!

Whats new?
The PSI 2.0 introduces automatically updates for many programs, allowing you to get the latest security patches with little or no user interaction, depending on your preference.

Along with the automatic update, the user interface has been completely redesigned to make it more simple and easy to use.

Secunia PSI API
Now programmers from all over the world can make third party apps and plugins for you to download and use to fit your needs. Some possibilities could be to check your security status on several computers or share some of your statics with your friends on Facebook or Twitter and much much more.

Read more about the Secunia PSI API here:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

The full list of changes can be found here:

Kambanakis RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 20th Dec, 2010 22:47
Score: 9
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
When the german version will be published ?
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Handling Contributor 21st Dec, 2010 01:05
Score: 11621
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This thread gives U an answer from a Secunia Official.
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/680...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Kambanakis RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 21st Dec, 2010 07:17
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Thank you very much!
Ka
Was this reply relevant?
+1
niakita83 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 21st Dec, 2010 08:47
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Oct 2009
System Score: 100%
Thank you very much to all those who contributed to this new version, bravo! Secunia is a wonderful tool, so convenient. Regards.

--
HP Pavillon DV7 Intel (R) core(TM) 2GHz 32 bits
Vista Home premium SP2
Firefox 5
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E_Pericoloso_Sporgersi RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 21st Dec, 2010 18:19
User Since: 25th Dec 2007
System Score: 93%
Last edited on 21st Dec, 2010 18:20
Thank you!

This is a very nice Christmas present.

But forgive me if I don't wait till Christmas to open it ...

--
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

It is dangerous to lean out [of Windows] !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 21st Dec, 2010 18:56
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Is 2.0 an over the top install. Or, should I uninstall 1.5.0.2 first ?
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Webpermand RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 21st Dec, 2010 19:02
User Since: 7th Apr 2009
Hi!
I try to download the program. But I get this answer: Failed to download ...
and contakt http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_ERROR Why can't I dowvnload via your url?

--
Best regard
Per Christensen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
raticey25 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 21st Dec, 2010 19:26
Score: 1
User Since: 21st Dec 2010
Hi, I got the same result.
regards,
Roy Ticehurst
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Dec, 2010 19:46
The error message was "Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author and obtain a new copy"
Roy Ticehurst.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Contributor 21st Dec, 2010 20:29
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi All;

First, to answer the "Why did my download fail?" question. Secunia only has so much bandwidth to work with. The speed at which you connect to the download site may have a lot to do with it. I tried a dozen times to download using a dial-up connection and got the same message. Remember, there are thousands of people trying to download PSI 2.0 at the same time.

> Try downloading later, in the US after dinner and before bed.
> Try downloading in a few days, after the rush.
> Use a download manager (I couldn't wait, so I used FDM).

This has happened before on other major updates and for other vendors. Do not be discouraged, please be patient.

Also, I found on my install, the computer had to be restarted for PSI to actually load. I did not see any installation instructions that told of that requirement. The uninstall of the 1.9 beta was not required as the install program did it for me.

To Secunia: Other than the restart to get the interface to come up, all is well. Also, not that I read 'all' of any EULA, I did notice a typo. In the first few lines you spelled "online" as this, "Oonline".

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Webpermand RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 21st Dec, 2010 23:31
User Since: 7th Apr 2009
I have get the program now ;-) I waiting at some times and then download get started and updatet my program automatic. No need to uninstall older version.

Werry fine new program -

--
Best regard
Per Christensen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 01:24
quote from above message > No need to uninstall old version.... what version did you over install 2.0 on.....
I run 1.5.0.2. Seeking user experience or answer from those in the know.
Over install 2.0 (when bandwidth is available) on 1.5.0.2 or what is proper install procedure for 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Handling Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 02:16
Score: 11621
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@bjm
When U download & install Version 2 Final it includes an uninstaller that first removes the old before installing the new.

One or two have had minor issues & some good work rounds have been submitted on various threads.

On a personal note I prefer clean installs therefore I removed the old version using the Secunia uninstaller provided with the old programme,saved the new download to desktop & installed from there.

Having set up a few PC's over the last few days both methods work flawlessly although the Secunia server was initially slow.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 02:58
@ Maurice
I found Uninstaller. Think I'll go with clean install. Although, hesitant to part with 1.5.0.2 as it has served me very well. Since my All Programs does not list Uninstaller. Your post jogged me to look at Programs Files...and there be the Uninstaller app. Been so long with 1.5.0.2 ... I forget things. ;-(
Thanks for all U do,
Cheers'
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 09:36
Hi,

I will address the general questions in my reply. If you feel I have left something or, or would like more information, simply post back and ask. :)

If you are having problems downloading the PSI, most likely getting the NSIS/corruption error, please try to follow these steps:

Delete the downloaded copy of the PSI installer. Clear your browser's cache and temporary internet files, and close it.
Reboot your system.
Try downloading the file again from http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe, if possibly by using a download manager or another browser than the one that originally caused the problem.

Has this resolved the issue?

If you are wanting to install the newest PSI release, you can do so without worrying about your prior installation. The PSI will uninstall itself before updating, and your settings are not stored locally but tied to your user profile.

For those asking about Translations, it should be noted that, currently, the PSI 2.0 is only available in English.
Our translation effort is entirely voluntary, and so it can take some time to complete (The PSI 1.5.x was translated into 40 languages in 40 days!).
We would not ask our translators to help us if their work would soon have to be done all over again, and so the translation effort did not begin before the release (and thus the finalization of the User Interface).
If you are interested in helping us translate the PSI 2.0 into your language, please contact us at support@secunia.com for more details!

Hope this helps!
PS: And don't hestiate to post if you have questions/comments/feedback. :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Subsonic7 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 13:00
User Since: 10th Nov 2008
Anyone know if the graph on the dashboard works with ie9 installed?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Eljo Languish check before update?
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 13:21
Score: -2
User Since: 29th Nov 2008
System Score: 99%
The beta had a bug not checking the languish before updating in the correct languish and so ending with English and not the correct earlier installed one.

Now 2.0 final is out has this bug been resolved and does it only update with the correct languish?

Sample: If I have Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird "Dutch" I want to have after update Dutch and not English.

--
Ms Windows7 32bit \Notebook HP 6720s\1.6Ghz\3GB\CIS 5.x\
Asus Notebook A8\ Win8 64bit\1.9Ghz\8Gb\Cis5.x\
Was this reply relevant?
+0
emwee RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 14:00
User Since: 24th Mar 2009
I have IE9 installed (among others) and have no graphs on the dashboard page.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Subsonic7 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 14:22
User Since: 10th Nov 2008
Thanks. Since IE is not my primary browser, I'll wait till its compatible with PSI2 before I update it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DMorrisPE RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 15:22
Score: 2
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
System Score: 95%
Thanks for the new versions! Unfortunately, v2.0 still has the "won't open" problem that the beta version had. I have an icon in the tray, but the Open Secunia PSI choice from the context menu briefly opens a blank window, which closes after about 5 seconds. Is there a fix for this that I've missed?

--
- Doug
Was this reply relevant?
+2
navidh RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 15:31
User Since: 8th Aug 2008
System Score: 98%
Thank you for making such a fantastic product.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
howiem9999 RE: PSI 2.0 DOES NOT INSTALL PROPERLY
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 15:45
User Since: 8th Dec 2008
After downloading and running an over the top install of 2.0, while th installation was in progress, I got an error. The green progress bar was about halfway across the PSI Setup dialog box. Then I got a popup titled ERROR saying simply "Installation Failed".
When I clicked OK, the progress bar finished, and I got a successful install message. I let PSI run, and then had the same experience as the previous poster.

I reported install problems earlier for the 2.0 betas, but never saw a response, and apparently it has not been fixed.

I checked the event log but there was nothing there to indicate what happened.

I have to go back to an earlier version, 1.5.0.2

--
howiem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
silvatek INSTALLATION ERROR
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 16:01
Score: 11
User Since: 31st Aug 2008
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 16:12
I get an installation error writing a file called sua.exe. Aborted the installation.

http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/vadek28/B...

Installed several previous betas using bundled uninstaller without any problems.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jboiler76 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 16:16
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
Like Doug, I too am having problems with V2.0 that will "not open". I have the psi icon in the sys tray, but the Open Secunia PSI choice from the context menu just briefly opens a blank window and then i closes after just a couple of seconds. Is there fix to this issue??

Jay
Was this reply relevant?
+1
millwood RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 17:29
User Since: 14th May 2008
I can't figure out how to make 2.0 work properly.

If I start it, I get a PSI window. But if I close the window, PSI goes away completely. AFAIK, it's no longer monitoring anything. Although it's hard to tell.

It used to be that closing the window would leave the tray icon in place.

I've started the tray with psi_tray, but if I then open and close PSI the tray icon goes away.

What am I doing wrong.

(On fact - it appears that the sua service keeps running. Is this the thing that watches?)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 17:36
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Doug , Jay and anyone using XP with an immediate closing of the GUI ,

The old post PSI version 1.5.0.1XP bug is still around ; smurphdude's fix is detailed here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/624...

Let us know how you get on .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
silvatek Installation problem resolved
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 17:39
Re sua.exe problem (Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit). I rebooted and it installed fine. Odd, as I never had to reboot before.

Anyway - all seems okay again. Still love Secunia PSI!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 17:44
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 17:53
For Eljo ,

The bug is still there , the default language for the installers is usually International/English .

Auto updates for some Mozilla products allows you to select a language - it is preset to "default - English " . Download solution installers will be default English.

By habit , personally , I always use the programme's own internal updater - usually quicker and in my control !!

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 17:56
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 17:57 Hi,

Due to the amount of replies here, I will try to address issues generally instead of on a post-to-post basis. If you feel I have left a question unanswered or you require elaboration, please post back here and let me know. :)

For those users having problems downloading/installing the new PSI
Please try clearing your temporary internet files and your browser's cache and then downloading the PSI again from this link: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Has this resolved the problem?

--

For users with Internet Explorer 9.x Beta installed, please note that this version in not officially supported. Amongst knows problems with this version is a lack of graphics on the PSI dashboard.
To solve this issue, downgrade to a supported version of IE.

--

For users wondering about localized auto-updates, you can configure which language you want a certain package installed in by double-clicking the program's entry and selecting the preferred language in the 'Preferred language' drop-down box.

--

For users wondering about translation of the PSI User Interface, this process is already underway. However, since our translaters are volunteers, we would not ask them to help us before the interface was finalized - ie. before the Final 2.0 was released this monday.

However the translation is already underway, and a language release will be out in the new year.

--

For those unable to open the PSI User Interface on Windows XP SP3, there are several solutions that have worked for different users. If any of these solutions work for you, please post back here and let me know which one.

1) Ensure that the workstation service is running.
This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it, it should be activated.

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

--

Some people have expressed concern that the PSI 'closes' when the 'X' is clicked in the top right corner. However, it is only the user interface that is closed.

To keep the PSI as light and fast as possible, we have seperated the PSI into 3 componets - the PSI agent, the PSI user interface, and the Tray Icon.

Closing the 'visible' part of the PSI only closes the User Interface, and not any other part of the PSI. This is also why it 'loads' all over each time you start up the PSI.

This feature was introduced to save CPU/memory while running in the background.

If anyone has further questions, problems or commenst, please do not hesitate to post!

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TeeCee RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 17:58
User Since: 5th Apr 2009
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 18:00
Greetings! I have PSI V. 1.5.0.2 installed, and just did a scan, but it is not showing any update for PSI. I am currently downloading the V.2.0 via my FDM, but am wondering, is this V.2.0 a BETA Program, or is this the un-Beta Version? Please advise.

Also, I am seeing this dl as 1697KB. Is this just the installer? I sure would like to know as seeing the bugs above, I am on a dial up connection, so if this is just the installer I am downloading, I would like to know how big is the entire update ????

TIA!

Windows XP SP3

IE7 & FF
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:00
Hi,

The PSI 2.0 that was released is the final version.

The PSI installer is bigger than what you described. Most likely, you are experiencing the same problem as some other users, which causes the download to finish prematurely/corrupt it.

Please try clearing your temporary internet files and your browser's cache, and then try redownloading the installer from this link: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:03
You said:

Closing the 'visible' part of the PSI only closes the User Interface, and not any other part of the PSI. This is also why it 'loads' all over each time you start up the PSI.

My experience is different.

run psi_tray - tray icon appears.
start the UI from the tray icon by clicking or right-click select
close the UI either with the x button or by close
tray icon disappears. psi_tray is no longer running
Was this reply relevant?
+0

TeeCee

RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:08
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 18:21
Sorry, I am on dial up, an d must have ha d a hiccup! Did not mean to double post here.

Also, I used your link, and it is only 1697kb. Is that right?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:23
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 18:24 Hi,

The PSISetup.exe file should be 1.7MB in size. Does the download complete without any problems? And were you able to run the file you did download?

(And don't worry about the double post; happens for the best) :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:30
Hello, Thanks, for the quick response. No, I wasn't able to run it, so I deleted it; That is a large file to dl on dial up in the first place. 1.7MB. What about burning it to a CD and installing that way? a few KB is easy on dial up, but not MB.

Also, if there are still bugs, I might be better off to wait to dl it. I used your link, and the link that came into my e-mail, and am getting the same result.

TIA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steveb RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:56
User Since: 4th Jun 2008
I had posted a problem "only a blank window opens" on the PSI forum. I followed the instructions in your response on that thread as well as links you included, and now the problem is solved. The icon in the tray is green and all information appears in the window.

Thank you for an excellent product.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
FrankC RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 19:15
User Since: 13th Nov 2009
Do I have a choice whether to accept automatic updates or not?
I have noticed PSI reports insecure programs for a time after I updated with Windows Update. This happens in spite of reload interface
Thanks
Frank C

--
FrankC
Win Vista Ultimate SP2
Dell Inspiron 530S
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 19:25
Score: 376
Hi FrankC:

Yes, in PSI, click on "Configuration", click on "Settings", here you can change Automatic Updates settings.

Sometimes, after using MS Update, a complete reboot is required for PSI to recognize the update.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+4
wozofoz RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 19:34
User Since: 31st Aug 2009
on 22nd Dec, 2010 17:56, wrote:
For those unable to open the PSI User Interface on Windows XP SP3, there are several solutions that have worked for different users. If any of these solutions work for you, please post back here and let me know which one.

This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it, it should be activated.

Enabling (starting) WorkStation fixed it for me.
I have always had it set it to Manual and this was never a problem before
I will continue to have it set at Manual so I hope there will be a change so I don't have to start it every time I want to scan.

Windows XP SP3 Home

All the best, woz of oz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
secusue RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 21:14
User Since: 27th Jun 2009
Enabling Workstation worked for me so Secunia is running fine now. Thanks, Sue
Was this reply relevant?
+0
highstream RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 21:30
Score: 6
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 21:34
The install was slow and clumsy, but it worked (XP/SP3). The problem I'm seeing is that from double-clicking the icon in the sys tray, the final version consistently takes 20 seconds to complete loading. The outline image comes up immediately, but the center is usually blank for a few seconds until the check internet/loading starts. Tried several times. Changing the text services for the .exe file has no effect (in fact, the first time after the change, it took 30 seconds). The last beta I used opened quickly every time, and this is a relatively fast Athlon X2 machine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
acdouglas RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 21:36
User Since: 25th Jun 2009
I was hoping this new version would stop complaining about my Vista, but no go. I use Windows Update religiously, yet Secunia continues to complain that my totally-up-to-date Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit OS has a problem. I then go and run Windows Update manually, and I'm told everything is up-to-date, including all optional updates:

Secunia says:

Microsoft Security Patches Not Installed:
KB2305420
KB2423089
KB2424434
KB2442962
KB2296199

Windows Update disagrees. (When I "restore hidden updates", the only one that pops up is a driver for my NVIDIA graphics, for which I got a more current one from the NVIDIA site directly.)
Was this reply relevant?
+1
zesty RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 00:06
Last edited on 23rd Dec, 2010 00:08
[quote=t6783]Hi

PSI 2.0 Final Released

Error: Error
Function: ui.create
File: undefined
Line. undefined
Description: invalid argument

What to do?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jware5558 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 00:22
User Since: 23rd Feb 2008
I downloaded PSI 2.0 today and found it to be fantastic! I love the new layout and the dashboard. The autoload worked like greased lightning and autoupdated several programs. Thanks for the improvements and please keep at it. Really outstanding security product--ought to be mandatory program load on every new PC.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jersey_Devil RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 01:19
User Since: 29th Apr 2010
I just installed PSI 2.0 without any problems. I like the new dashboard & layout, etc, however am not enamored by the dull colors. Is there any way to tweak/change the colors in the UI, such as a different "skin" etc? If not, are there any plans to do so?

Thank you in advance for the anticipated useful & informational replies.

Joe AKA "Devil"

--
Gateway NV59C
Win 7 HP SP1 x64, XP Home SP3
FFox latest Ex-PLODE-r 11
PSI v2 MVPS Hosts
Avast 9 FREE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 01:25
From reading these posts, I am wondering if it is worth dl the new version now, as compared to later, because I am seeing some issues with Windows XP SP3 and that is what I have.

I THINK it best to wait until all the bugs are out, myself. I'll keep an eye on this thread, and hopefully, someone will reply as to the reliability of the new V. on Win. XP. As I said before, I am on a dial up connection, so any huge updates would be pretty hard to do. I am also concerned about the "AUTO UPDATES"?????

Well, for now, I'll just keep an eye on this, and hope to see more positive feedback. If and when my Secunia tells me it needs to update, I'll just leave it alone. So far, it isn't broken (yet!) :)

Windows XP SP3
IE 7 / FF 3.6.13
Was this reply relevant?
+1
secusue RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 04:18
User Since: 27th Jun 2009
Am having problems getting 2.0 to recognize the updating of other programs I've done. When I did an initial scan it told me to make several updates which I did and got a flag during the process indicating it recognized the updated program. I waited about a half hour and rescanned and none of the updates I did were found and a couple more were added to the list. So then I rebooted, rescanned and the same thing -- it tells me to update programs I have already updated or deleted. But again it has a couple more programs it found to do! So every time I rescan I get more programs despite all my efforts. I've rescanned and rebooted several times now. ????? Running on a XP SP 3 system. Sue
Was this reply relevant?
+1
rdinning1 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 05:29
User Since: 23rd Dec 2010
They seemed to have changed the Icon that shows in the System Tray to be exactly the same colour as my System Tray making it completely invisible.

What was wrong with the original colour? Why do vendors seem to need to change Icons with every new release usually to the detriment of the product?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
acdouglas RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 05:39
About my Vista being marked "Insecure"...
PSI finally woke up and realized the 5 KB fixes have actually been applied! Yay!

On another note ... It takes forever to load!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 07:15
Last edited on 23rd Dec, 2010 07:26
@ TeeCee

TeeCee ~ 22nd Dec, 2010 18:08 wrote > I used your link, and it is only 1697kb. Is that right?
E.Petersen ~ 22nd Dec, 2010 18:08 wrote > The PSISetup.exe file should be 1.7MB in size.
TeeCee wrote ~ 22nd Dec, 2010 18:30 > That is a large file to dl on dial up in the first place. 1.7MB.

1697 kilobytes is equal to 1.657227 megabytes
I think 1.7 is rounded up from 1.657227
My dl is 1698kb and it works.
1698 kilobytes is equal to 1.658203 megabytes.
If your dl is not working as an over-install.
Have you closed all open windows and apps including Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wamsalak RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 11:40
Hi,

installed secunia 2.0 (1.5 worked fine) on windows7 ultimatex64. First launch, worked fine. After this first use, main window will only open in a very buggy way (nothing accessible, statistics down). I reinstalled, same thing: first opening works fine, later uses only open buggy api main window, with nothing accessible!

Thanks for your clues...
Was this reply relevant?
+1
silvatek RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 12:06
I don't know -- you put all that effort into releasing a new improved version of your wonderful free PSI software and everyone complains!! ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+1
j.blokpoel RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 12:32
User Since: 22nd Nov 2010
I think I've the same problem with Windows 7!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

blackdowner

[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
blackdowner RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 17:44
User Since: 16th Mar 2010
Excellent - like it a lot. But in updating my Secunia profile why does it take such a long time to get to United Kingdom (or, for that matter, the USA)? Shouldn't there have been a page down or jump system rather than have to slowly roll through a whole pack of locations. Best regards
Mike
Was this reply relevant?
+2
webbuzz RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 18:40
User Since: 3rd Aug 2010
on 22nd Dec, 2010 21:36, acdouglas wrote:
I was hoping this new version would stop complaining about my Vista, but no go. I use Windows Update religiously, yet Secunia continues to complain that my totally-up-to-date Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit OS has a problem. I then go and run Windows Update manually, and I'm told everything is up-to-date, including all optional updates:

Secunia says:

Microsoft Security Patches Not Installed:
KB2305420
KB2423089
KB2424434
KB2442962
KB2296199

Windows Update disagrees. (When I "restore hidden updates", the only one that pops up is a driver for my NVIDIA graphics, for which I got a more current one from the NVIDIA site directly.)

@acdouglas

I had the same issue with the MS Patches, ran the scan twice and they are gone now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 19:03
Were any of these issues/problems reported with 2.0 beta testing....or, are reported issues new to Final Release.
Any chance 2.0 issues are all bandwidth/server related. Or, are there bugs with Final Release.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tarq57 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 22:29
Score: 16
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
I've installed the PSI 2.0 on XP (SP3).

All prior versions of PSI worked normally.

This one opens the GUI at start, and the program closes when the GUI is closed. No secunia or psi processes are visible in taskmanager.

I've checked the workstation service is running, ticked the "advanced text services" off in compatability tab, and rebooted. No dice.

I don't mind the new icon colour (when it is present) and the interface looks good. I would like it to operate in the same manner as its predecessors, though.

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 23:39
I followed Maurice Joyce's preferred method on my desktop, XP SP3 IE 8 without success, so I have lost my original version. I also followed the recommendations re IE deleting browsing history'.

I installed the update on my Vista laptop first time with no difficulty.
Any further suggestions welcome.
Roy Ticehurst
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 24th Dec, 2010 00:11
Older version of the Secunia PSI can be downloaded at:
http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+2
rdinning1 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 24th Dec, 2010 00:33
"I don't mind the new icon colour (when it is present) and the interface looks good. I would like it to operate in the same manner as its predecessors, though."

It could be you can't see the Icon because it is the same colour as the Task Bar's background. Check to see whether there is either a blank spot or it's in the overflow area.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2010 00:48
I can see the icon in the system tray when the program is open.
Close the GUI, the icon vanishes.
There is no overflow area; all my systray icons are displayed at all times when the respective process is active.

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2010 01:03
on 24th Dec, 2010 00:48, Tarq57 wrote:
I can see the icon in the system tray when the program is open.
Close the GUI, the icon vanishes.
There is no overflow area; all my systray icons are displayed at all times when the respective process is active.

I'm seeing the same thing, and have verified that when you close the GUI both psi.exe and psi_tray.exe terminate.

So far, I have no evidence that in that state I'll be notified of changes. I suspect not.

A service called sua.exe continues to run.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hoppy RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 24th Dec, 2010 01:13
System Score: 95%
On WinXP Pro SP3, enabling the otherwise useless Workstation service worked for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wamsalak RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 24th Dec, 2010 11:10
Here is the error message I get sometimes when trying to open the UI:

error:TypeError
Function: UIcreate
File:undefined
Description:"this.bottomLeft.items.length" has no value or is not an object.

And by the way, I cannot launch the UI through PSI icon, yet it works if launched from Tray icon.

Last: same for me: when I close main window, tray icon also closes.

Lots of bugs!!!

Win7 x 64
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2010 11:59
Bless you for that. I am now up and running again and all my info has been retained.
Roy Ticehurst
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gisy98 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 24th Dec, 2010 17:48
User Since: 16th Nov 2010
quand la version franšaise ?

merci
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tom2041 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 24th Dec, 2010 19:27
thank you
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2010 19:32
Information on Workstation
http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Workstation
http://www.blackviper.com/
Was this reply relevant?
+1
silvatek Minor icon glitch
Member 25th Dec, 2010 11:17
Why does the tray icon show red when I've got 100% score? Before I rebooted it was green!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Dec, 2010 17:15
Last edited on 25th Dec, 2010 17:20
Anyone see an explanation of how Auto Update works. I've read http://secunia.com/company/blog_news/news/161
I'm wondering how/if PSI knows when my system is quiet enough to accept a vendor patch.
Suppose I have Firefox open (with several tabs). Running Java, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash etc. and PSI has a vendor patch. Does PSI close all open windows/apps to install a vendor patch ?
Suppose Windows De-frag is working or my Security app is scanning or updating or my system is otherwise busy. How does PSI update a running app or an app when my system is not quiet.
Suppose I'm working in Word and PSI has a patch for Word. What happens to my open document.
Suppose a PSI auto update requires a reboot or suppose flash has to be quiet to uninstall/install. Does PSI auto update component has absolute control over my system to put my system in the required state for a clean patch update/install.
Does PSI auto updater work as a background task only when my system is idle.
If auto updater is enabled...does that mean a component of PSI is always running even when PSI is closed.
If I open Task Manager...will I see PSI running all the time.
Suppose I power down mid PSI vendor patch auto update.
How do I know when PSI auto update component is active / actively installing a patch.
Do I get a notification bubble.
What does integration with CSI do from my side for me.
Anyone see a user guide/owners manual for 2.0
Was this reply relevant?
+3
erickj3591 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 25th Dec, 2010 20:59
User Since: 27th Jan 2009
System Score: 97%
Last edited on 25th Dec, 2010 21:06
Thank you for this huge improvement. Previously had to (using the interface) find and install updates; then there would usually be one DLL file that had to be manually removed before the program became secure. All this would take a lot of time.

As soon as the new version was installed today, the updates were automatically all done immediately, no leftover old DLL files. How great!

My one suggestion would be to show the pop-up listing the program changes for a longer time. Usually there are too many changes to read before the pop-up goes away, and can't seem to find that same information summarized in that same format elsewhere.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
silvatek No icon at all any more
Member 26th Dec, 2010 01:04
Okay -- a reboot later and it's not even running now, let alone displaying the wrong icon colour. This is getting silly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 10:00
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
bjm-
See the PDF Manual in Learn More on the Dashboard.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 10:07
silvatek
What is your Operating System ? If it's XP, reading the following thread might help....particularly Maurice's post :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/689...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 11:49
Hi Mogs! I have the same as you - Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2.

I shouldn't have posted that last post, so I apologise. This morning it's working fine again with a green tray icon. I was more concerned about the red icon for a 100% score. But anyway, it's trivial. I often have problems with tray icons vanishing. Usually I just reboot (if I can be bothered) and they reappear. I investigated it a while back but got nowhere so I live with it and blame Vista.

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 12:06
No probs silvatek !
Do you run CHKDSK in Vista....at least once a month ? Checks for lost/orphaned and unindexed files, so on and so forth.....consistancy on the disk?
I use a registry scanner at least once a week, and together they seem to prevent lots of quirks and glitches etc..
That together with a boot-time and manual defrag seems to keep things at an optimum.
As you can see, my default browser is Dev Chrome ( unmonitored by psi )...and yet Secunia always installs/uninstalls seamlessly....havn't had many problems at all in the nearly two years I've been using ! Lucky me !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Dec, 2010 12:20
Last edited on 26th Dec, 2010 12:22
All of those, Mogs. I run a tidy machine! And I use Chrome 9. Still get tray glitches though. PSI has been wonderful all that time. It's essential software, together with FileHippo. I wish they'd get together!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 12:29
You use the Memory Diagnostics Tool too ? What defragger do you use ? The Dev channel Chrome is much more "exciting".....Canary, at the moment is having a bit of a lull.....out of interest maybe : apparently it was named after the bird they used to take down a coalmine.....if it died, it wasn't safe !!
Do you use the new CCleaner too ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 12:55
on 26th Dec, 2010 12:29, mogs wrote:
You use the Memory Diagnostics Tool too ? What defragger do you use ? The Dev channel Chrome is much more "exciting".....Canary, at the moment is having a bit of a lull.....out of interest maybe : apparently it was named after the bird they used to take down a coalmine.....if it died, it wasn't safe !!
Do you use the new CCleaner too ?

This is a bit off-topic for this thread. Sorry Secunia! I use MyDefrag mainly and occasionally Auslogics Disk Defrag. I hadn't heard of the Memory Diagnostics Tool before, but I've just read some bad experiences of it in a forum and I'm not sure what it could tell me. I'll investigate further, thanks. Yes, I use the latest CCleaner at all times as well as Tweaknow Powerpack 2010 and Norton SystemWorks.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 13:10
Not a great deal happening on the forum this morning.....havn't always looked in this thread before....I think it oft times might get overlooked !!
Does MyDefrag do a boot-time....defrag the MFT ? The Puran I use is very neat efficient and effective....so versatile as regards scheduling too.....not long ago (yesterday ) put a post in CYBERCLIPS about it...if you fancy a read ( if you havn't already ).
I noticed that a new version of Auslogics Reg Scanner isn't always notified by psi so I tend to check out thier site regularly.
I've run the Mem. Diag. Tool in Vista every month since I had this computer....never found any faults: tho' a report is automatically sent via Probs.Reports and Solutions....it runs two test passes. Could be worth doin' !
Anyrate....enough for now....have a happy holiday !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 17:13
on 26th Dec, 2010 10:00, mogs wrote:
bjm-

Thanks ... I prefer to read manual before I install.
Is the PDF available from this site.
It's akin to reading the owners manual before driving a car.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 19:26
on 26th Dec, 2010 10:00, mogs wrote:
bjm-

Thanks
I ran 2.0 sandboxed and pulled PDF
Informative user guide !
I played around with 2.0 ... and gained some perspective.
I am sorry some users are having install / usage issues.
I sense a minimal learning curve...the PDF Setup and Usage Guide is a welcomed plus.
2.0 makes a significant overall improvement to the PSI environment.
I'm just not a fan of auto updating yet. I prefer hands on. I don't understand how a running app can be updated. What tells PSI that an app is quiet and ready to be updated. I imagine auto updater works. I'm just missing how it goes about getting it done sans user.
Must be magic ;-)
That said the new UI is great. The added functions and help links are great.
Curious as to user reported high CPU and user reported 2.0 is a WPF application.
Regards
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Dec, 2010 19:31
on 22nd Dec, 2010 14:22, Subsonic7 wrote:
Thanks. Since IE is not my primary browser, I'll wait till its compatible with PSI2 before I update it.

IE does not have to be your primary browser. PSI runs through IE but, does not require IE to be your default or primary browser.
What browser are you waiting to be compatible with PSI 2
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 19:35
on 22nd Dec, 2010 17:29, millwood wrote:
I can't figure out how to make 2.0 work properly.

If I start it, I get a PSI window. But if I close the window, PSI goes away completely. AFAIK, it's no longer monitoring anything. Although it's hard to tell.

It used to be that closing the window would leave the tray icon in place.

I've started the tray with psi_tray, but if I then open and close PSI the tray icon goes away.

What am I doing wrong.

(On fact - it appears that the sua service keeps running. Is this the thing that watches?)

Quote E.Peterson
Some people have expressed concern that the PSI 'closes' when the 'X' is clicked in the top right corner. However, it is only the user interface that is closed.

To keep the PSI as light and fast as possible, we have seperated the PSI into 3 componets - the PSI agent, the PSI user interface, and the Tray Icon.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 20:47
bjm.
My understanding of the auto-updating process itself is not of any depth...other than an explanation given by Emil ( I think ); fairly recently.
From what I remember, not all programs are auto-updateable. Those that are; are created such ( written ) by the vendor. Hopefully, the list of a/u progs in the Secunia list/database will increase as time goes by.
You can run the auto-update 2.0 version and decide to carry on with manual installs. You can also set it so as to be notified/consulted prior to an auto update :
or you can let Secunia a/u without any user interaction. I've had no problems with it, nor in trusting Secunia.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 21:35
on 26th Dec, 2010 20:47, mogs wrote:
bjm.
I've had no problems with it, nor in trusting Secunia.

I have no problem with it, nor in trusting Secunia.
If my post offered you that impression. That was not my intent.
So, as per your understanding. The auto-updateable programs are coded specific for 2.0 auto-updater. So, an Adobe patch has an auto-updateable version coded specifically to function with 2.0. Vendors are cooperating with Secunia and expending their resources writing patches exclusively for 2.0
I imagined PSI was simply pulling the vendor patch available to anyone.
I never imagined vendors offering an everyone usage patch and an exclusive 2.0 usage patch.
Would that it were....that does explain allot.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 21:46
Point noted.....impression duly nullified !
From what I've gathered, some progs were written that could be silently installed...possibly before auto-updating features were thought of. I really can't say whether or not some vendors will be writing patches exclusively for psi. I suppose there is the possibility.
The possibility of vendors patching on that scale obviously would be considered a marketing advantage, I'd have thought.
Have you read the post in CYBERCLIPS today entitled Silent Updates...if not; you might find it interesting......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 22:03
on 26th Dec, 2010 21:46, mogs wrote:
Point noted.....impression duly nullified !
From what I've gathered, some progs were written that could be silently installed...possibly before auto-updating features were thought of. I really can't say whether or not some vendors will be writing patches exclusively for psi. I suppose there is the possibility.
The possibility of vendors patching on that scale obviously would be considered a marketing advantage, I'd have thought.
Have you read the post in CYBERCLIPS today entitled Silent Updates...if not; you might find it interesting......regards,

Aha! Silently installed programs. This is new to my eyes.
Please point me to CYBERCLIPS. This would also be new to my eyes. I would be interested reading about Silent Updates.
Thank you !!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 22:10
The CYBERCLIPS thread is found here :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/658...
The INDEX to it, which I try to update every two days, can be found here :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/660...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Dec, 2010 22:32
Last edited on 26th Dec, 2010 22:36
on 26th Dec, 2010 22:10, mogs wrote:
The CYBERCLIPS thread is found here :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/658...
The INDEX to it, which I try to update every two days, can be found here :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/660...

Thanks so much....I've been away from these boards for too long ;-)
While I was searching for CYBERCLIPS. I happened upon the Resources page and found Setup and User Guide for PSI is not there. That is unfortunate.
I also happened upon Secunia Videos. That is fortunate. '
Had the release notice for 2.0 included the Setup and User Guide (available with 2.0 install) and link to Secunia Videos / PSI 2.0. I certainly would have benefited...perhaps others would have also.
Who knew Secunia had videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/Secunia#p/a/u/0/t1rQib...
Regards and thanks
I have some reading to do and some videos to watch
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dlbrown37 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released - Script Errors
Member 27th Dec, 2010 02:28
User Since: 27th Dec 2010
Every time I open Secunia PSI 2.0.0.1003, I get the same Script error. I believe the error occurs during the "Interface is loading" part of the program start up. I have to cancel out of "Just-In-Time Debugging" multiple times before the program finally finished loading.

In the last code line of the following code I get an "Invalid argument" error:
========================
var aulink = {
auSoftware : {}
,auLog : []
,languages: {}
,itemtype: {}
,id : 'aulink'
,psiUpgrade: null
,isInitialized: false
,init : function() {
if ( this.isInitialized ) {
return;
}
this.isInitialized = true;
this.suaobj = adapter.createSUAObject();
defaults.addDataConsumer(this);
this.setInterval();
}
,setInterval : function() {
if ( this.interval ) {
clearInterval(this.interval);
}
this.interval = setInterval(aulink.periodic,1000); /* Invalid argument */
}
========================

I never got this error with the previous version of Secunia PSI.

Is there a something I need to do, or is there a "bug" in Secunia PSI 2.0.0.1003 that needs to be fixed?

--
D Brown
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Dec, 2010 03:38
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2010 05:22
Hello, I did update it today. However, I have a tray icon, it was red, then I GUESS it scanned, the tray icon went from red to green, and a bubble came up and told me I had a 100% score.

OK, that is wonderful. Yes, I did a reboot after the install.

Now, I cannot get the Interface to open. I click open secunia PSI, and it will open, but it is STILL verifying an internet connection.

I cannot see anything, but the tray icon. No profile, no nothing. Is this what it is supposed to do? Oh, this is not good.

Right now, my tray icon is green. when I do a mouse hover over, it says, Secunia PSI 100% Secunia System Score

No errors, just doesn't seem to see my connection, ( Iam on dial up) but no Interface... :(

Windows XP SP3
IE 7/ FF 3.6.13

EDIT:

I followed this:

This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it,
it should be activated.

2) Go to where you installed the PSI
(Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI),
right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab,
and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'

(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

Didn't help, and I still cannot open the interface. I have a SUPER connection too.

Also, could not do this one, because I cannot open the Interface:

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options >
Languages Tab > Details > Advanced.
From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'

OK, this is NOT working at all. I cannot get the interface to open at all. I went thru this thread, and am getting nowhere fast. I am now looking on uninstalling it. How and do I need a particular tool to do it? I would like to uninstall the 2.0 and go back to the 1.5. this is ridiculous!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MarcelloLuporini RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 27th Dec, 2010 05:33
User Since: 27th Dec 2010
Hi,

I successfully installed and started PSI 2.0 but I cannot "Recover Existing Secunia Community Profile".

As I could not remember my previous profile password and Secunia did not offer any option to retrieve it, I created a new profile on Secunia website, logged in and updated my profile but when I tried to up date my Community Profile in PSI 2.0 informing my Username and Email and pressing the "Load Profile" button, the only answer I got was "Your profile recovery has not been verified. Please click the link that has been emailed to you and press the "Load Profile" bottom again."

I repeated that procedure many times unsuccessfully and my Secunia Community Profile in the dashboard is still now <unregistered user>.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards,

Marcelup

--
Marcelup
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Dec, 2010 05:37
TeeCee,
you wouldn't be able to change the global settings mentioned in step 3 from the PSI interface, even if it was opening. Such changes need to be made via the computer control panel.

I would not (and have not) done this myself, despite having a slightly similar issue. I'm not prepared to change global settings for this version, preferring to use the earlier version.

Further up in this thread is a URL where the earlier version can still be downloaded, as it seems you didn't keep the installation file. (Not a bad idea to keep installer files on the hard drive. Makes re-installation so much more straightforward.)

I've gone back to the last stable version that worked for me. (1.9.0.1)

Does anyone know how to (temporarily) disable the pop-up balloon tip advising of a new version, please?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 27th Dec, 2010 06:53
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2010 17:46
Thank you, I just done that. I am scanning now. I couldn't find any V. 1.9, but V. 1.5.0 is what I had, and it worked just fine. Not the 2.0 tho. Thanks again.

I hope the V. 1.5 is supported for a while yet.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to (temporarily) disable the pop-up balloon tip advising of a new version, please?

Windows XP SP3
IE 7/ FF3.6.13
Was this reply relevant?
+0
vsf815 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 28th Dec, 2010 00:11
User Since: 21st May 2009
Icon Color in System Tray
Sorry about this small issue. The icon in the System Tray is a dull green that I can't see against the dull blue of the tray. I liked the reddish icon. Is there any possable way I can change this color? I assume you have it programed to be red if you need to update programs but since mine are currently all updated I won't know for sure. I'd perferr it if the red icon would flash if programs were out of date instead of being green.

FYI - I am running dual LCD monitors with 1-Desktop spanning both displays 2560 x 1024. The left hand monitor is directly in front of me with the system tray to the far right of the second monitor. To compound the problem the 2 monitors are diferent modles so the color settings are a compromise to get a best match.

P.S. - This version seems much better than the beata.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Aylaroble RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 29th Dec, 2010 18:10
User Since: 23rd Jul 2010
Last edited on 29th Dec, 2010 18:24
Hi !! I'm spanish and I can't speak english, sorry (I use online translator).

Thanks a lot to PSI Team. I think this version is more useful and more beatiful :-) But I can't understand nothing :-/

Please, is possible to download the before version wich are in spanish language? and ... is possible configure the auto_update tool only for a new version when the language is the same of OS ? :-)

Thanks again and Happy New Year.
Ayla.
Madrid-Spain.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Dec, 2010 20:25
Last edited on 29th Dec, 2010 20:29
Aylaroble

Below is a copy of a recent official explanation concerning translation of psi 2.0 :-

Users wondering about translation of the psi User Interface : this process is already underway. However, since our translators are volunteers, we would not ask them to help us before the interface was finalized - ie. before the Final psi 2.0 was released this Monday.

However, the translation is already underway and a language release will be out in the new year.

You can download the previous stable version from here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

Hope this helps.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Pats33 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 29th Dec, 2010 21:22
Score: 3
User Since: 11th Apr 2009
Downloaded and installed when the "Final" came out. However I can no longer schedule it to run at My choice of day and time. How can I fix this? I have looked all over the install and find no where to set the schedule to run.
Thanks for any help
Pats3
Texas
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
HP Model a6400f
Intel Pentium Dual CPU
3.00 GB RAM
32 bit OS
IE8 Browser
73% free space

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 29th Dec, 2010 21:27
Last edited on 29th Dec, 2010 21:32
Pats33
The psi schedules it's next scan one week after you run it. Therefore, if you run one week before; the next will start automatically, a week later. Hope this is clear enough....regards,

PS....If you click on Scan your pc, from the Dashboard you will see Last and Next scan...on the right of the Scan page.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 30th Dec, 2010 03:27
Thanks I had that on the Beta and the previous version and started it for this one, but it runs when it wants to - take today, I always run it on Saturday but it ran itself today??? Gremlins?? Or??
I will run again on Sat. and see if it holds.
Thanks for the reply

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Lilliewilde RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 31st Dec, 2010 01:59
User Since: 31st Dec 2010
Finally got the PSI interface to show up by using Option 2 of the suggestions, turning off advanced text on psi.exe compatibility.

Current issue, when i go to settings, drives it should list the drives to scan, but all I get is a blank listing. It's scanning my k: drive and I don't want it to. I searched for this on the forum but don't find anything. I'm running XP with all service packs and up to date.

Any suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
adamba RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 1st Jan, 2011 17:33
User Since: 22nd Mar 2010
I have Windows Vista 32 bit and although PSI 2.0 installed and runs fine, it does not display the graphs in the dashboard. My laptop with Windows 7 displays the graphs fine and my wife's Windows XP Pro does also. I know this isn't a critical issue, but is there a setting I need to change in Vista or have I not downloaded the correct version of PSI 2.0 for Vista? Please let me know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Jan, 2011 21:29
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2011 22:44
adamba

Here's a copy/compilation of some recent observations : please note the emboldened paragraph :-

General explanations/observations concerning psi 2.0

For users having problems downloading/installing psi 2.0: clear out your temporary internet files and your browser cache, and then download the PSI again from this link:- ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Has this resolved the problem?

--

If you have IE 9 Beta installed : please note that this version in not officially supported. Amongst known problems using this version, is a lack of graphics on the psi 2.0 dashboard.
To solve this issue, downgrade to a supported version of IE.

--
Users wondering about localized auto-updates : you can configure which language you want a certain package installed in, by double-clicking the program's entry, and selecting the preferred language in the 'Preferred language' drop-down box.

--
Users wondering about translation of the psi User Interface : this process is already underway. However, since our translators are volunteers, we would not ask them to help us before the interface was finalized - ie. before the Final psi 2.0 was released this Monday.

However, the translation is already underway and a language release will be out in the new year.

--

For those unable to open the psi User Interface on Windows XP SP3 : there are several solutions that have worked for different users. If any of these solutions work for you, please post back to the forum with which solution resolved.

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI) : right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike that described in step 2).

--

Some people have expressed concern that the psi 'closes' when the 'X' is clicked in the top right corner. However, it is only the user interface that is closed.

To keep the psi as light and fast as possible, we have seperated the psi into 3 componets - the PSI agent, the PSI user interface, and the Tray Icon.

Closing the 'visible' part of the PSI only closes the User Interface, and not any other part of the PSI. This is also why it 'loads' all over again each time you start up PSI.

Hope it helps......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
jwp41 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 00:40
User Since: 28th Nov 2008
Other XP Pro, SP3 users have reported problems with the user interface:
My problem is the lack of a systray icon. I can access the program from a desktop icon, but there is no icon in the tray. My process list shows psia.exe, and psi_tray.exe running, but no icon is shown.

I had been running 2.0 beta and installed the formal release ..... the icon was there all the time...... a couple of days ago, it was gone and did not reappear after restart or power off restart.

I have another machine similarly configured (but much newer and less software on it) which does NOT have this problem!

What's up.

Bill in Dallas
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Aylaroble RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 11:13
User Since: 23rd Jul 2010
on 29th Dec, 2010 20:25, mogs wrote:
[...] You can download the previous stable version from here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

Great!! I reinstalled the multilingual version. It is a wonder to know what you're doing. Thanks to Team Secunia and thanks to Team of Volunteer Translators :-)

Now I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread. Please will you send a notice when you made the translation into Spanish? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Ayla in Spain.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 15:18
I downgraded back to IE8 now the graphing works fine. Thanks to Team Secunia!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
desplingca RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 4th Jan, 2011 02:00
The solution for us was to set the workstation service per Maruice Joyce's post 3849 29 Dec 2010. We had not stopped the workstation service but is was off.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Galeon RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 4th Jan, 2011 10:10
User Since: 4th Jan 2011
Last edited on 4th Jan, 2011 10:26
I also have the problem of drives not showing up in "Settings > Drives". The first time it scanned my computer, it included all drives that contains lots of installers and uncompressed programs, making the scan slower. It now only scans the C:\ drive. I clicked C: on the "Patch your PC > Scan your PC > Scan Progress: Step-by-Step > Searching files on local fixed drives ( C: )" which brought me to "Configuration > Settings > PSI Settings" and the drives are listed now in the "Drives" tab.
The interface is also stuck in the loading screen, reinstallation of Windows fixed the problem, though I'm sure I have all the critical updates of Windows. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
Is there a default password when creating a Secunia Community Profile in the interface? I used forgot password to change it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 08:35
Yes, I had installed IE 9 due to the security problem with IE 8. I removed IE 9 which left IE 8, and then patched Windows. Viola! graphing works again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 09:43
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2011 09:43 Hi,

As there is again quite a volume of posts, I will address general issues here, and not go on a post-to-post basis. If you feel I have forgotten/omitted any part of the answer you were seeking, or want clarification or have further questions, you are naturally free to post back here. :)

For those having problems updating a specific program
Please create a new thread in the Programs section - unfortunately, application-specific issues will not be addressed by staff in this thread.

For those with problems with/questions about the workstation service
Good news, everyone!
We have managed to resolve the Workstation service dependency for the PSI, and will deploy this solution in a later release.
To be clear: Once we deploy this solution, you will no longer be required to have the Workstation Service running to make use of any PSI functionality. :)

My apologies for making you read the first line of this answer in a voice other than your own.
For those having problems with error messages popping up in the UI
Errors resembling:
Error: Error
Function: ui.create
Line. undefined

Please install the latest build: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Ensure that all your settings in Internet Explorer (regardless of which browser you personally prefer) is configured to match what is described in this item of our FAQ: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Reboot your system and start the PSI again.

Does this issue still occur?

For those still having problems downloading the PSI (NSIS errors)

Clear your browsers temporary Internet files and cache, and download the PSI from this location: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

If this has not resolved the issue, try another method, such as using a download manager, or another browser.

For those asking technical questions about the Auto-Updating process
A quick rundown.
Silent install options are a functionality prepared by the vendor.

The PSI allows you to silently install updates by passing arguments to the installers after fetching them automatically and verifying the contents.
This means that AU functionality is not dependent on your Operating System, but entirely dependent on the vendor and the quality of their installers.

Before running an AU patch, the PSI will check for the fulfillment of one of several criteria, such as whether or not the program is running. This is how we ensure silent updates don't conflict with running instances of a program.

Secunia will attempt to prevent auto-updates from interfering with your system, such as installing 'bloatware' or rebooting your system. If anyone does experience issues such as this, please write us at support@secunia.com and let us know.

Nobody is writing patches specifically for the PSI. Secunia attempts to make
every patch work with Auto-Updates, but frequently this is simply not possible.
Of course, we will be incrementally improving the AU functionality.

For those having problems recovering their profiles

To tie your profile to a PSI installation, fill in the forms with appropriate
information and click "Recover Profile".

Now check the email tied to your account, and click the confirmation link in the email you have received.

Press the Load Profile button, and the PSI should show your registration. If it does not immediately show after clicking Load Profile, try shutting down and
restarting the PSI and tray icon.

For those wondering about translation of the PSI User Interface
This process is already underway. However, since our translators are
volunteers, we would not ask them to help us before the interface was finalized - ie. before the Final psi 2.0 was released in December.

However, the translation is already underway and a language release should be out in the new year.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jwpatterson RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 5th Jan, 2011 10:08
User Since: 20th Nov 2010
I still do not have the Secunia systray icon, as I had posted earlier. Other parts of the pgm seem to be ok.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 11:07
Hi,

@jwpatterson
Do you have 'start on boot' enabled on the settings tab?
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This user no longer exists

[+]
This reply has been deleted
Leendert Kip PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 5th Jan, 2011 13:34
Score: 65
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
on 5th Jan, 2011 13:15, wrote:
We have released a new build of the PSI 2.0 (Build 2001),
Please post back if you have any comments or feedback. :)

Installation was without troubles as usual. Well done!

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 5th Jan, 2011 13:34
on 5th Jan, 2011 13:15, wrote:
We have released a new build of the PSI 2.0 (Build 2001),

Installation was without troubles as usual. Well done!

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 5th Jan, 2011 13:52
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2011 14:01 Hi,

We have released a new build of the PSI 2.0 (Build 2001), and have deployed several bugfixes and improvents.

Amongst these, the most important are:

* The PSI 2.0 no longer relies on the Workstation service!
* The PSI 2.0 will now run all scans in the background, so if you close the User Interface while a scan is running, it will finish in the tray instead of aborting
* Fixed the reported high CPU/Memory consumption issue.
* And other minor bugfixes

So this should no longer be an issue!

Thanks to Kevin Nielsen (Lazissa1 on the forum), and everybody who provided us with their debug logs, for helping us resolve the CPU consumption problem!

You can download the new version from here: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

PS: Due to an ommision in my earlier post I deleted it and instead made this post the 'official' announcement.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 14:53
Yes "Start on Boot" is checked and in fact the pgm is starting just fine.

I seem to have posted my original entry under a different id: jwp41.... in which I said this:

Other XP Pro, SP3 users have reported problems with the user interface:
My problem is the lack of a systray icon. I can access the program from a desktop icon, but there is no icon in the tray. My process list shows psia.exe, and psi_tray.exe running, but no icon is shown.

I had been running 2.0 beta and installed the formal release ..... the icon was there all the time...... a couple of days ago, it was gone and did not reappear after restart or power off restart.

I have another machine similarly configured (but much newer and less software on it) which does NOT have this problem!

Thanks....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 15:01
Hi,

@jwpatterson

If you install the latest build (see above), does this issue still occur?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gegie RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 5th Jan, 2011 16:47
User Since: 14th Apr 2010
So what?

Another software company "upgrading" its user interface with a size 3pt font. Skype "improved" its user interface with an unreadable size font and Secunia have just done the same.

Why are the graphic designers taking over the user interface - it may look good but if can't be easily read its useless.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Ando66 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 5th Jan, 2011 18:39
User Since: 29th Dec 2010
Current version installed, display loaded, did one successful scan but since now the display does not load stucks at "Waiting for data to load ..."
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Ando66 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 5th Jan, 2011 18:40
User Since: 29th Dec 2010
Current version installed, display loaded, did one successful scan but since now the display does not load stucks at "Waiting for data to load ..." (WinXP, SP3)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 23:53
Tried to download the latest build of

You can download the new version from here: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

but I get an
NSIS error saying there is an installer integrity check has failed. Tried it 3 times and got the same error. Running windows xp, downloading with both Firefox and IE 8 does the same thing.

David
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 05:11
Well, I think I will wait a few days for the bugs to be fixed in the new version before I install it; at least my install seems to work ok except for the systray icon.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 12:30
I downloaded from the normal Download button and that worked OK. The bug with not seeing the list of drives to scan is now fixed and havn't seen any other problems.

Thanks

David
Was this reply relevant?
+0
studerus RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 6th Jan, 2011 17:55
User Since: 6th Jan 2011
I was running version 2.0.0.1001 and got the reminder, that a new version is available. After installing this new Version (2.0.0.2001), the link ID for the CSI integration disappeared and I was not able to save it after entering it manually.
==> how can I reconnect my PSI to the CSI?
xs.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tacoslammer RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 6th Jan, 2011 19:16
User Since: 24th Mar 2011
System Explorer does not update. I have rescanned several times - complete and the program alone. CNET reports and will update existing SYSTEM EXPLORER 2.6.1.3356 to version 2.6.2. Why does PSI not have this update. Version 2.6.2 became available January 4, 2011.

Please advise.

Tom
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 19:24
Downloaded and ran the v2001 PSI, no problems at all with download or the first scan. Good job Secunia and thanks.
Pats3 TX
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
HP Model a6400f
Intel Pentium Dual CPU
3.00 GB RAM
32 bit OS
IE8 Browser
73% free space

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 20:00
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 20:04
on 6th Jan, 2011 19:16, tacoslammer wrote:
System Explorer does not update. I have rescanned several times - complete and the program alone. CNET reports and will update existing SYSTEM EXPLORER 2.6.1.3356 to version 2.6.2. Why does PSI not have this update. Version 2.6.2 became available January 4, 2011.

Please advise.

Tom

PSI is not an update checker. PSI reports program vulnerabilities.
Does PSI report System Explorer as Insecure
Version 2.6.2 is released in Installer and Portable version! This version contains security scanner improvements and many minor bugfixes.
PSI is not an update checker.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
j.marcus.lehmann RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 7th Jan, 2011 17:32
User Since: 2nd Sep 2010
I'm still working on the German translation. ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 7th Jan, 2011 20:19
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gingenI7 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 7th Jan, 2011 20:54
User Since: 26th Jun 2010
When will the program have the ability to have the time for scanning scheduled?
It is a pain having it start when I am running heavy memory based jobs and the scanner starts up. On the previous versions we could schedule the program to run at night so that it didn't interfere with our work.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steve580 RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 7th Jan, 2011 22:13
User Since: 7th Jan 2011
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 22:18
I have a laptop with Windows 7, Firefox. I installed PSI 2.0 with no comments from the installer, but after an hour, the computer is still trying to verify the internet connection. Prior to downloading 2.0, I had 1.5*, but there I got the error message "Please wait while network connectivity is verified." I suspect both messages refer to the same problem. How can I get PSI to work?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Jan, 2011 23:13
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 23:15
on 7th Jan, 2011 20:54, gingenI7 wrote:
When will the program have the ability to have the time for scanning scheduled?It is a pain having it start when I am running heavy memory based jobs and the scanner starts up. On the previous versions we could schedule the program to run at night so that it didn't interfere with our work.

It's absolutely not thrue that in any PSI version in the past there was a schedu-
ler for the scan. It was and is currently so that the scan runs every 7 days automatiacally. If you want to start running the scan i.e. Monday at 01.00hrs
you have to manually start the scan once at that time. Then it is automatically
scheduled 7 days later,

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+7
Member 11th Jan, 2011 00:37
on 27th Dec, 2010 06:53, TeeCee wrote:
Thank you, I just done that. I am scanning now. I couldn't find any V. 1.9, but V. 1.5.0 is what I had, and it worked just fine. Not the 2.0 tho. Thanks again.

I hope the V. 1.5 is supported for a while yet.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to (temporarily) disable the pop-up balloon tip advising of a new version, please?

Windows XP SP3
IE 7/ FF3.6.13

I am still using the V. 1.5.0.2 as I am have Windows XP SP3 IE7/FF This is working just fine for me, but still it wants to update to V. 2.0 Unable to do that, as 2.0 will not work on my XP, and obviously others as well. Just thought I'd check in, and yes, I did everything that was suggested for XP, but it wouldn't open at all.

For me, tho, V. 1.5 is doing fine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
adamba I keep getting notified of new posts - make it stop!
Member 11th Jan, 2011 03:29
Last edited on 11th Jan, 2011 03:30
How exactly do I unsubscribe from the PSI forum? I used the e-mail that I got when I created my first post, went to the forum from the unsubscribe, but I still can't get out of the forum. I get more e-mail from the PSI forum than I get from everyone else. Help!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 03:43
on 11th Jan, 2011 03:29, adamba wrote:
How exactly do I unsubscribe from the PSI forum? I used the e-mail that I got when I created my first post, went to the forum from the unsubscribe, but I still can't get out of the forum. I get more e-mail from the PSI forum than I get from everyone else. Help!

DITTO!!

The top of the thread even says I am NOT subscribed, but I keep getting notices!!! If it does not stop this site will be reported as SPAM!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 13:33
Secunia PSI 2.0 under Win Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit

Tray icon shows red even though main dashboard says 100% secure.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Jan, 2011 13:40
Last edited on 11th Jan, 2011 13:42
silvatek There's been some bug fixes in the new 2.0.0.3001 version....have you tried that ?
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 13:47
Last edited on 11th Jan, 2011 13:50
There's a new version? Why didn't Secunia PSI tell me that? Seems like a major shortcoming if it can't even update itself or at least notify me.

Thanks Mogs! Is that via the main download link in the Products section?

EDIT: Oh - installation failed again on sua.exe. Just like last time. I'm not rebooting. It'll have to wait.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Jan, 2011 13:55
I discovered it after reading Leendert's post this morning....it's not a major release but contains various bug fixes.....hope you get fixed up....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Midnight_Voice RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 11th Jan, 2011 15:57
Score: 48
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
on 11th Jan, 2011 13:47, silvatek wrote:
There's a new version? Why didn't Secunia PSI tell me that? Seems like a major shortcoming if it can't even update itself or at least notify me.

Thanks Mogs! Is that via the main download link in the Products section?

EDIT: Oh - installation failed again on sua.exe. Just like last time. I'm not rebooting. It'll have to wait.

Yes, my PSI 2.0.0.1xxx didn't tell me there was a .2001, but this forum did, and on going to get it, I found I had .3001, which I don't think has been announced yet?

I got the sua.exe issue when installing .1001 over the last beta, and got round it by firing up Task Manager and doing End Process on the two sua.exes that were running - one local to me (LOCAL) and one (SYSTEM) global to all users on this machine (i.e me again, as it happens), after which I clicked 'OK' in the error box, and the installation was able to complete.

I didn't get this installing .3001 though, so I assumed it had been fixed. I have just one sua.exe running now, the SYSTEM one. I have no idea why there were two sua.exes last time.

The scan on the .1001 version told me it had last run on 3 Jan 2012 (yes, 12) and would run again on 10 Jan 2012, and these values were carried over to .3001

I didn't want to wait that long, though, so I set one running; it got 54 seconds in, after which my PC hung so badly that I couldn't close PSI, couldn't close Firefox, and though I had Task Manager running, couldn't maximise it to see what was going on. Some other programs were still running OK, though.

I also couldn't reboot/restart the PC, so had to resort to the Big Red Switch, after which I got the black screen of 'Windows did not exit normally' on the restart; but I chose a normal restart, all came up OK, I redid the PSI scan and this time it was fine.

I can't entirely lay the issue at PSI's door, but the balance of probability is that it was, hence me mentioning it. If it's not just me with the issue, this may be helpful. But if it is, there you go.

I also don't know why the 2012 date on the scan from .1001; it's not like I've been playing with the calendar, and anyway the Win 9x issue that meant files got timestamped with future dates while you were just looking at them in the calendar was fixed for Windows XP. Ho hum.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gervi RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 12th Jan, 2011 14:47
User Since: 22nd Sep 2010
This new version has too many bugs, we had to wait more time before rilascio.Dai problems that I think it takes a good deal

--
Non Ŕ importante saperlo ma Ŕ importante QUANDO!!! lo sai.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Jan, 2011 20:27

For M_V ,

Installing the first full version of the PSI 2.0 was fine for me , but the next "mini" update version stopped during the install and gave me an error window relating to the sua.exe files ; when I "ignored" it and pushed completion , I got 2 sua.exe listed in the TM .

Other minor/major problems sent me back to the first version which reinstalled correctly over the problem one and ran correctly .

The next (second)mini version also gave me the same error window ; this time I stopped the install and went back and tried a full uninstall which did not work correctly . Looking in the Program Files Folder , showed two .exe (psia and sua) files neither of which would delete ; forcing one gave me a blue screen crash , but the auto reboot after the system had checked itself then allowed me to remove the .exe files .

Since then the (over)re-installs of the second "mini" and later versions have installed and worked normally .

Another twig for the branch :))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Protopia RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 13th Jan, 2011 02:46
Score: -2
User Since: 22nd Jul 2009
Just spent several days tracking down why my laptop would not go into sleep mode (including a complete reinstall) - and it appears to be Secunia 2.0 which is causing it.

When I leave the service and tray processes off, it sleeps fine, but when they are running the laptop won't sleep or if it does it won't waken.

Could be a complex incompatibility with the wireless, bluetooth or SATA drivers - or something else entirely.

Anyway, until it is fixed, I either need to go back to Secunia PSI 1.5 or leave it turned off (which would be a great shame as it is such a great product).

P
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bcdalai RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 13th Jan, 2011 12:24
User Since: 28th Jul 2010
Thanks very much, for the new version of PSI.

--
--------------------------------
bcdalai
@bcdalai2020
http://bcdalai.blogspot.com/
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 12:25
Hi,

As usual in this thread I will address general issues and not answer on a post-to-post basis.

Please note that we will not answer any questions about patching any specific programs in this thread. If you want help with this, create a new thread.

For general issues not specifically related to the PSI 2.0 release, please either write us at support@secunia.com or create a new thread.

We have just released a new version of our FAQ. I suggest you look through it to see if it solves your problem or has the answers you're looking for. You can find it here:

Before reporting any issues, please ensure that you have the latest build installed. You can get it here: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Please be sure to test any bugs with the latest build before reporting them - this saves us a lot of time in debugging and investigating issues.

For those who experience that the PSI stalls at "Please wait"
Please refer to this newly expanded section of our FAQ:

For those getting "NSIS errors'" when trying to install the PSI
Refer to this item of our FAQ:

For those wondering why the PSI didn't notify them about the release of the 3001 build
The PSI will only alert you about important releases or major bugfixes.
Since version 3001 contained bugfixes that were only relevant for a small minority of PSI users, there was no general notification of the update.

We are still investigation the issue of the PSI preventing certain systems from hibernating. Thank you for your patience and continuous feedback.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 22:20
on 13th Jan, 2011 12:25, wrote:
Hi,

Before reporting any issues, please ensure that you have the latest build installed. You can get it here: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Please be sure to test any bugs with the latest build before reporting them - this saves us a lot of time in debugging and investigating issues.

For those wondering why the PSI didn't notify them about the release of the 3001 build
The PSI will only alert you about important releases or major bugfixes.
Since version 3001 contained bugfixes that were only relevant for a small minority of PSI users, there was no general notification of the update.

Hi Emil

There's a disconnect between the two statements you made above.

Is it enough to use the latest version you have told us about, or are you requiring us, before reporting an issue that we may have carefully explored with the version we have, thinking it is current because you haven't told us different, to download an unannounced version and repeat our tests all over again?

If so, I think you are perhaps asking too much :-(

I suggest that you announce *all* new versions, no matter how small or specialist you think the changes are, as soon as they are released.

Cordially

Midnight_Voice

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

Was this reply relevant?
+95
tcsword RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 14th Jan, 2011 04:48
User Since: 14th Jan 2011
Hi, I have been using your wonderful products for several years now. I've just downloaded 2.0 and the download and scan went fine. When I clicked the dashboard icon, I got the following;

ErrorError: TypeError
Function: util.switchPage
Line: undefined
Description: 'length' is null or not an object

in a little warning box. I also downloaded it onto my laptop, and everything was fine. But I can't get the dashboard on my desktop(which is chained to a dial-up connection).Any help would be appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pcaviles RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 14th Jan, 2011 20:23
User Since: 14th Jan 2011
I've run into this issue as well and haven't been able to find a fix or remedy for it. If someone has a solution please let me know.
Thanks.

on 14th Jan, 2011 04:48, tcsword wrote:
Hi, I have been using your wonderful products for several years now. I've just downloaded 2.0 and the download and scan went fine. When I clicked the dashboard icon, I got the following;

ErrorError: TypeError
Function: util.switchPage
Line: undefined
Description: 'length' is null or not an object

in a little warning box. I also downloaded it onto my laptop, and everything was fine. But I can't get the dashboard on my desktop(which is chained to a dial-up connection).Any help would be appreciated.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
ENEE RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 16th Jan, 2011 23:06
User Since: 15th May 2009
Hello with all,

Large a thank you with all the quia team worked on Secunia PSI 2 cheer super work.
On the other hand could you say to me if a French version must leave soon please??

By thanking you by advance

Sincere greetings

--
Qui peut le plus peut le moins
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Jan, 2011 07:20
rubised !
Below is a copy of a recent official statement :-

Users wondering about localized auto-updates : you can configure which language you want a certain package installed in, by double-clicking the program's entry, and selecting the preferred language in the 'Preferred language' drop-down box.

--

Hope this helps....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Jan, 2011 12:22
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2011 12:23 Hi,

on 13th Jan, 2011 22:20, Midnight_Voice wrote:

Is it enough to use the latest version you have told us about, or are you requiring us, before reporting an issue that we may have carefully explored with the version we have, thinking it is current because you haven't told us different, to download an unannounced version and repeat our tests all over again?

Let me clarify.
For users not experiencing any problems at all, there should not be any reason to upgrade. This is why we did not announce the 3001 version.

However, if you DO experience any problems, it is recommended to reinstall the PSI. When you are doing that anyway, you should get it directly of the site before doing any tests. Usually when posting advice to people on the forum, we will refer them to install the latest build, which should always be obtainable from this URL:
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

on 13th Jan, 2011 22:20, Midnight_Voice wrote:

I suggest that you announce *all* new versions, no matter how small or specialist you think the changes are, as soon as they are released.

I will forward your suggestion to the relevant people for consideration. Thank you for your suggestion.

PS: You may notice some strange votes on your post. This is the result of a "mis-click" on my part, but as you can see, it has been compensated for and will have no impact on your score.

We are still investigating the issue with the PSI throwing "TypeError" messages.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2011 14:52
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2011 14:53
on 17th Jan, 2011 12:22, wrote:
Let me clarify. For users not experiencing any problems at all, there should not be any reason to upgrade. This is why we did not announce the 3001 version.

Emil, I can confirm that I didn't have any problem with 2001 and earlier versions. I read about 3001 in a post from Maurice and I installed it. Also, no problem at all!

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Oxenhandler RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 18th Jan, 2011 05:00
User Since: 9th Dec 2010
Nothing happens... A new firefox window starts to load for a few seconds but then defaults to untitled. I am running Windows, Vista, 32 bit. My Secunia PSI v1.5.0.1 works great. From what I understand, I do not need to uninstall it to upgrade to 2.0 because the 2.0 download has a built in uninstaller. Aware me, please.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 07:53
Oxenhandler.
Are you saying you want to keep both versions active on the same machine at the same time ? I can't help you there...I've graduated from each version to 2.0.0.3001 one at a time. Usually the initiation of the install has detected a previous version, and I've let it uninstall before proceeding. I can imagine that it might set up complications and conflicts, as some people have had lots of difficulty just trying to get the latest up and running. The new/recent FAQ's have changed quite a lot since the 1.5.0.2 version. Have you checked thro' them to confirm your settings in IE8 ?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... Maybe worth reading thro' again.
If you have a thorough clear out and of temporary files/browser cache prior to install it can help also......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
DBGFREEUSA RE: PSI 2.0 Final Released!
Member 19th Jan, 2011 04:13
User Since: 20th Jul 2010
System Score: 93%
How do I increase the font size?

--
Thanks,
DBGFREEUSA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 06:32
on 19th Jan, 2011 04:13, DBGFREEUSA wrote:
How do I increase the font size?

AFAIK, you can't do this for PSI alone.

But if you can't read the PSI information easily, you probably need a larger font size for Windows on your machine generally.

This you can set in Windows, from:
Start/Control Panel/Personalization/Adjust Font Size (DPI)

Alternatively, if your WinOS supports it (Vista and W7 do, I don't have XP in front of me right now to check, and you don't say which OS you have) you might get some readability benefit from tuning ClearType.

You can look up details of this and likewise font size changing from the Windows:
Start/Help and Support

--

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 19th Jan, 2011 07:03
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 07:05
DBGFREEUSA Not sure if the ZOOM facility is available in the Stable and Beta versions of Chrome, but with the Dev AND Canary build, pages can be increased/decreased by percentages for easier reading.
Maybe worth a mention.........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability