Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Tray icon does not change to green

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
aweinstein Tray icon does not change to green
Member 20th Dec, 2010 16:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
After updating to ver. 2.0 I noticed that the tray icon always stays red as if there is a problem. The beta version changed to green when all was OK. Glitch or something else?

mogs RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2010 17:25
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Probably a glitch......a nice olive-green here. Have you re-booted since install....just a suggestion. Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

bobie2

RE: Tray icon does not change to green
[+]
This reply has been deleted

bobie2

[+]
bobie2 RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 20th Dec, 2010 18:00
Score: 5
User Since: 16th Oct 2008
Hi

I have the same problem the tray icon stays red even though the score is 100% I have had this on the Beta version and now on the newer version
Was this reply relevant?
+4
This user no longer exists RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 21st Dec, 2010 10:06
Hi,

If you install the PSI 2.0 Final (http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe) and restart the PSI, does this issue still occur?

And are you 100% up-to-date? The tray icon is only green if you have a system score of 100%.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This user no longer exists

[+]
Quitch RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 27th Dec, 2010 01:05
User Since: 17th Apr 2008
System Score: 99%
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2010 01:05
I get this issue on my laptop but not my desktop. On the laptop the issue occurred during the BETA too.

I upgraded from BETA to final and found I still had the problem, so I then tried uninstalling PSI and reinstalling and it worked for a few minutes. At first it was red, but then while I was running a scan it turned green, then the tray icon disappeared all together. I loaded the tray icon again but now it was red. After a reboot it was still red.

My score is 100%.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Dec, 2010 10:15
Hi,

The Tray Icon will stay 'red' until the Secunia Update Agent is started (Which you can do manually under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services - Though be careful what you change here!).

Has waiting for about 1-2 minutes or manually starting the Secunia services resolved the problem?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Dec, 2010 10:59
I checked that the service was running and also tried restarting it, but the icon is still red.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Dec, 2010 11:20
Hi,

And it does not change it's color to green after running for about 2 minutes?

If not, then please go to the Settings tab, enable logging, close and open the PSI, run a full rescan, and send us the file at support@secunia.com - And we will look deeper into it. :)

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Dec, 2010 11:27
Not after two minutes, no. I've continued to browse for hours with it remaining red.

By the way, doesn't closing and opening the PSI window cause the log box to become unchecked?

My icon just turned green, I noticed after I checked the logging box (and it was red before I started PSI), but I don't know whether it turned green before or when I checked the log box. I'd been using the computer for a good thirty minutes before doing this, red icon the whole time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Expert Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 13:10
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2010 13:13
Hello Emil ,

Doing a "qucik tidy up" , I reset the PSI with the .1003 installer ; it gave an sua file install failure "error" message , which I selected to ignore and finished the install . Two and then one version of sua.exe appeared in task manager and everything seemed to work OK ; However , a later system reboot gave me the red tray icon without the "correct" mouseover message ; there was no sua.exe running in TM .

I reloaded with the .1001 installer and everything is back to normal . Do not have time to rerun/retry the .1003 installer atm .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
abeloffv RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 28th Dec, 2010 14:20
Score: 7
User Since: 7th Sep 2009
I have had the same problem on a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop. My desktop behaved just fine.

Initially, when PSI 2.0.0.1003 was installed the tray icon on the laptop was green. After a day or so I noticed it stayed red even though my score was 100%. In addition, hovering over the icon displayed "Secunia PSI Tray" rather than "Secunia PSI nnn% Secunia System Score."

The tray icon behaved this way for about 4 days, after multiple reboots etc.

This morning, I removed some directories on the laptop. The directories included some programs that Secunia was tracking. I saw a pop-up message from the tray icon, then the tray icon turned green and is now behaving correctly.

We'll see what happens after a reboot or two.

Vic

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 28th Dec, 2010 14:46
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 28th Dec, 2010 14:49
So, the system tray Icon color is a mirror of the Secunia System Score ?
Green indicates a score of 100% while yellow and red indicates a score that is
less secure.
Nothing in the User Guide re system tray Icon color.
The system tray Icon color may appear Green or Yellow or Red depending upon my System Score. Correct Yes / No ?
This thread mentions Green and Red. May I also see Yellow or just Green or Red.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Dec, 2010 15:48
The tray icon reflects the colour of the bar chart on the dashboard.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Dec, 2010 19:47
After my system was shutdown and then started up the tray icon is back to being red (even though my PSI score is 100%). It is as if the tray icon is not aware of the score and/or something that should be running is not running.

Hovering over the tray icon with the mouse leads to a popup that says "Secunia PSI Tray"

Vic

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
3-northernpike RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 30th Dec, 2010 06:05
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
Last edited on 30th Dec, 2010 06:52
@abeloffv

Hi,

Tried this trick just a while ago when I logged on and the icon was red...this after it was green earlier today...I think I read about this in another thread several days ago, so thought I'd give it a try:

I have Windows XP Pro sp3
IE 8

Clicked on "Start" button...
right-clicked on PSI...clicked on "properties"...
Clicked on "Compatability" tab...
At the bottom, put a check mark in the box next to "Turn off advanced text services for this program"...
Clicked "approve" and "OK" and closed out...
Restarted computer...

Back at the main screen, my icon turned green! So far so good!

Hope this helps you...
Regards

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 30th Dec, 2010 10:50
Thanks. I saw that suggestions somewhere too. Not sure if it is a global change or not.

Seems that in Windows 7 you cannot turn off Advanced Text Services.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w...

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate and have PSI on three machines. The two x64 systems are working fine. The x86 laptop is not.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Dec, 2010 17:30
@abeloffv

Pulled the following, which seems to address non-global and global compatability changes, from another thread, "Dashboard Info development...". See the second entry there for full info on other issues too.:

"2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2)."

This morning around 9am, my icon was red again so, I undid step 2 above, which I initiated last night, or more precisely, earlier in the morning around midnight...US ESTime...then restarted PC and the icon turned green. Have also done the "global change" in step three but have not done a restart yet to see what will happen. Will be curious to see what happens again around midnight, early morning US ESTime.
This will show my computer ignorance, but, I'm beginning to suspect a server problem maybe...I don't know how that process works with servers, but this green/red icon thing seems to have some kind of cyclical pattern. It's green a good part of the day, with reboots, and then wants to go red at night/early morning US ESTime...maybe a different server comes on line at that time??

Anyway, hoping step "3 " above might help you with the Windows 7 software...don't have it yet so, don't know if it will apply or not. :)

Cheerio,

Windows XP Pro sp3
IE 8

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 30th Dec, 2010 17:57
It won't; Win7 does not give option to control Advanced Text Services.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
chrisly RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 31st Dec, 2010 12:04
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Nov 2009
Hi.

Same problem on my Windows7-PC.
Laptop (Vista) and other PC (XP): everything okay!
I hope itīs possible to fix this bug!?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Peter Chamberlin RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 4th Jan, 2011 13:14
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
I have noticed that the Secunia Update Agent service is not installed until an insecure application is detected by Secunia 2.0. So if you install Secunia PSI 2.0 on to a patched system the tray icon remains dark red until the first insecure application is detected by a manual search. So try installing something like VLC 1.1.5 that's known to have security exploits and scan that to get the service to be installed and the tray icon to update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 13:51
on 4th Jan, 2011 13:14, Peter Chamberlin wrote:
I have noticed that the Secunia Update Agent service is not installed until an insecure application is detected by Secunia 2.0. So if you install Secunia PSI 2.0 on to a patched system the tray icon remains dark red until the first insecure application is detected by a manual search. So try installing something like VLC 1.1.5 that's known to have security exploits and scan that to get the service to be installed and the tray icon to update.

I installed 2.0 on to a patched system with System Score of 100%
Sys Tray Icon is a pretty green and remains a pretty green matching my System Score.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 14:49
Works just fine for me on two of three systems. And on the obstinate system, they tray icon was not working. Then, one day when I was installing an update the tray icon kicked in and turned green, staying that way and behaving correctly until the next system shutdown/startup.

Since then it has not worked.

Not sure why I would want to install something insecure, to get it working. Seems that I would have to keep it installed, to keep the tray icon working. Personally, i'd rather have a score of 100% and a broken tray icon.

However, i do agree. Something behind the scenes is not running as it should.

With the tray icon broken, I still have the Secunia PSI Agent service is running; and the Secunia Update Agent service is running.

And for whatever reason, the tray icon just turned green, displays the system score and is temporarily behaving correctly.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 10:53
Hi,

Please try installing the latest build:
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

After installing, is this issue still reproducable?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 15:03
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 15:04
Uninstall of Secunia PSI 2.0.0.1003, reboot into local admin and install of latest version 2.0.0.2001 results in psi.exe, psia.exe, psi_tray.exe and PSIService.exe running - but no capability to scan and the tray icon red while PSI shows sunset yellow and 99%. Clicking 'Start scan' does nothing, remains on step 0 of 8.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 15:06
Hi,

Try rebooting after installing the latest version. Has this resolved the issue?

If not, give this a try:
1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
Please ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

Hope this helps. :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Peter Chamberlin

[+]
Member 6th Jan, 2011 18:30
For some reason that I do not understand the pc that was having trouble with the tray icon stopped having trouble yesterday. I even tried a few reboots this morning and the tray icon behaved as it should; hovering over it with the mouse displays the system score and the color of the icon corresponds to the score.

Around noon today I installed the 2.0.0.2001 release and can happily report that the tray icon continues to behave as expected.

Vic

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 09:36
Hi,

@Peter Chamberlin
I'm sorry, but I had to delete your earlier post (we can delete but not edit).
Unfortunately, the parts of the PSIalog you posted included sensitive information that could expose your user account.
However, we are certaintly not trying to censor you, or anyone else, and will continue investigating this issue.

How many people have had their problems resolved by updating to build 2001?

And how many of you do not see both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services?

The 'Secunia Update Agent' is only required to be present if you have auto-updates disabled. For those experiencing this issue, what is your auto-update setting?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 13:14
I presume you meant "The 'Secunia Update Agent' is only required to be present if you have auto-updates *enabled*"

I do have auto-update enabled, but the service does not get installed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 13:32
Hi,

Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you for correcting me.
Unfortunately, once a reply has been made I cannot edit my post.

If the Agent is not started then most likely this is the cause of the issue. I suggest uninstalling the PSI (With the C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\Uninstall.exe program), rebooting, and installing the latest build again.

This should ensure that the agents are properly installed and started.

hope this helps!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 16:34
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 16:39
Hi!

@ Emil R. Petersen

Saw your post yesterday, "6th Jan, 2011 10:53", and installed the latest build provided by your link.

That quirky little tray icon...no longer quirky!
Both files are in "Services" in control panel...started and automatic.

Think I was becoming fond of that unpredictable little icon ;) but, I am delighted now that my PSI 2 seems to be running without any glitches. :)

Thank you so much for the work you do and for the service you provide!

With warm and grateful regards,
SKD

Windows XP Pro sp3
IE 8
Norton's 360 Premier

PS: Just as an aside, and because I'm curious, why do some posts show members with their % scores and other posts...like mine...show N/A?

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Jan, 2011 16:56
Edit you profile. There is a checkbox to turn on display of your score. :-)

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Jan, 2011 18:12
@abeloffv

Thanks! :)

SKD

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
myyas RE: Tray icon does not change to green
Member 7th Jan, 2011 23:15
User Since: 3rd Mar 2010
I have the same tray icon glitch + 2 other problems since installing v2.

1- Tray icon stays red with 100% score.
- Secunia Update Agent doesn't show in Services.
- Uninstalled & re-installed PSI 2.0.0.2001 & rebooted several times.
- Still no change.

2- I can't do manual scan. Start scan doesn't work.

3- Drives don't show in Setting\Drives.

Every time I uninstall PSI I clean & delete Secunia files from C:\Program Files & C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data. Still, when I reinstall, all data comes back -ie: Profile Setting, Last Scan, Development & Security patches charts. Is this info stored somewhere else & could it be the reason why a re-install wouldn't work. Where is this info stored & how can I delete them?

My PC has Win XP Pro SP3. I have PSI installed on another PC with the same configurations & it is working fine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 23:36
on 7th Jan, 2011 23:15, myyas wrote:
I have the same tray icon glitch + 2 other problems since installing v2.

1- Tray icon stays red with 100% score.
- Secunia Update Agent doesn't show in Services.
- Uninstalled & re-installed PSI 2.0.0.2001 & rebooted several times.
- Still no change.

2- I can't do manual scan. Start scan doesn't work.

3- Drives don't show in Setting\Drives.

Every time I uninstall PSI I clean & delete Secunia files from C:\Program Files & C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data. Still, when I reinstall, all data comes back -ie: Profile Setting, Last Scan, Development & Security patches charts. Is this info stored somewhere else & could it be the reason why a re-install wouldn't work. Where is this info stored & how can I delete them?

My PC has Win XP Pro SP3. I have PSI installed on another PC with the same configurations & it is working fine.

re > all data comes back
All this data / info is stored and loaded from Secunia server.
This info is not for you to delete unless you request your profile removed.
Are you uninstalling each time with the included uninstaller.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2011 00:35
Thank you bjm for clarifying the data issue.

Actually, I use Windows - Add or Remove Programs - to uninstall programs. Should I use the included installer instead? I didn't know that there is a difference! Cause, it activates the program's uninstaller, I think!

I've also checked the Registry Editor and found 3 Secunia entries listed under Software. Should I delete those entries after uninstalling & before re-installing?

Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2011 01:03
Last edited on 8th Jan, 2011 01:15
on 8th Jan, 2011 00:35, myyas wrote:
Thank you bjm for clarifying the data issue.

Actually, I use Windows - Add or Remove Programs - to uninstall programs. Should I use the included installer instead? I didn't know that there is a difference! Cause, it activates the program's uninstaller, I think!

I've also checked the Registry Editor and found 3 Secunia entries listed under Software. Should I delete those entries after uninstalling & before re-installing?

Thank you.

To you registry question. I cannot advise from this distance for you to go near your registry.
I may only offer what I may try on my own system.
Your system may react totally different as you know.
Try to achieve as clean an uninstall as possible. I have no idea what utilities are available to you. So, all I may offer is....Clean all temp files.
1) Quiet your system as much as possible. Close all open apps. Untick all PSI options like Start on Boot & Monitoring etc. Close PSI. Stop PSI Services. Run the PSI uninstaller. Program Files > Secunia > PSI > Uninstall
as an alternative
2) Quiet your system with a clean boot (not safe mode).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
Run the PSI uninstaller.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2011 15:23
After three days without any tray icon issues I brought my laptop home from work and started it up on my home network.

The tray icon is red and not behaving well.

Both the Secunia services are installed and running.

I have Internet access, I see can see my Secunia data. I cannot run a manual scan; it never actually starts.

Vic

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2011 16:11
My suspicion, based only on observation, is that the problem has to do with the pc client side trying to get to the Secunia server side. I think that when the tray icon stays red, PSI is not able to establish a required conversation with the server.

What is different for me is that when at work, my laptop is a member of a domain. When at home, my laptop is not connected to that domain, but still has Internet access.

Here is a piece of the psialog.txt file when the tray icon was green...

[01/04 09:29:29.794] Checking in with server (psi.secunia.com)
[01/04 09:29:29.794] Connecting to psi.secunia.com:443
[01/04 09:29:29.794] GET /psi_api/2001/?type=agent_check&agent_version=&tz= 18000&fm=0x00000000&uid=aHnw5sXXqU63c4ecdf6d875b8c b84c78xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&ui=agent&la ngroup=xxxxxxx&host=xxxxxxx-xx&guid=
[01/04 09:29:29.794] Request timeouts : 60000ms, 30000ms, 30000ms
[01/04 09:29:31.338] Starting filter driver
[01/04 09:29:31.338] -- Program options --

Here's a piece when the tray icon is red ...

[01/08 06:54:28.528] Connecting to psi.secunia.com:443
[01/08 06:54:28.528] GET /psi_api/2002/?type=agent_check&agent_version=&tz= 18000&fm=0x80000000&uid=aHnw5sXXqU63c4ecdf6d875b8c b84c78xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&ui=agent&la ngroup=xxxxxxx&host=xxxxxxx-xx&guid=
[01/08 06:54:28.528] Request timeouts : 60000ms, 30000ms, 30000ms
[01/08 06:54:49.572] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='A connection with the server could not be established
',winCode=12029
[01/08 06:54:49.635] Error while checking in with server (12029) : "A connection with the server could not be established"
[01/08 06:54:49.635] -- Program options -

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2011 16:19
Next, I connected to the domain at work using a VPN client. The tray icon remained red...

Here is another piece from the psialog.txt

[01/08 10:12:22.415] Unknown name in invoke:notifyCheckin
[01/08 10:12:22.415] Unknown name in invoke:periodic
[01/08 10:12:22.462] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[01/08 10:12:22.462] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[01/08 10:12:23.040] Checking in with server (psi.secunia.com)
[01/08 10:12:23.040] Checkin reason : scan
[01/08 10:12:23.040] Connecting to psi.secunia.com:443
[01/08 10:12:23.040] GET /psi_api/2002/?type=agent_check&agent_version=&tz= 18000&fm=0x80000000&uid=aHnw5sXXqU63c4ecdf6d875b8c b84c78xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&ui=agent&la ngroup=xxxxxxx&host=xxxxxxxx-xx&guid=
[01/08 10:12:23.040] Request timeouts : 60000ms, 30000ms, 30000ms
[01/08 10:12:34.575] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response
',winCode=12152
[01/08 10:12:34.872] Error while checking in with server (12152) : "The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response"
[01/08 10:12:34.872] -- Program options

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2011 23:04
Sorry to say non of the suggested solutions worked for me.

In addition to my earlier problems, now I have a new more serious one.

When I start PSI I get a "Welcome to the Secunia PSI" screen with a 0% score.

My profile is present.

When I go to the Dashboard I get:

Error:TypeError
Function:util.switchPage
File: undefined
Line: undefind
Description: 'length' is null or not an object

I found threads in the forum addressing this issue. Secunia acknowledges the problem & offers a solution by turning off the PC then starting again & the problem would be gone.

I turned Off & On several times. I uninstalled & re-installed several times.

Still the same problems.

I'm so frustrated & tired of these problems I've decided to do without PSI for now on this PC since there are no working solutions.

PSI is supposed to solve problems not create them.

Nonetheless, this is a great free tool, & I thank Secunia for that.

I hope Secunia comes with a better version in the near future.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 09:58
I tried as full an uninstall as possible, including browser cookie and temporary file clean downs, then saw the JS error message box as mentioned above. Now with a score of 0%, unlinked tray icon and unable to scan at all.

The dialog when recovering my profile also starts with "Your was successfully sent." - I presume there's an untranslated noun there that needs fixing.

Error: TypeError
Function: util.switchPage
File: undefined
Line: undefined
Description: 'length' is null or not an object

If there's anything I can do to help you sort these problems, let me know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 12:51
Now my laptop is at work and the tray icon is green, hovering over it tells me the status, the scans work. All is well.

Nothing changed but the location and network to which my laptop is connected.

Does the secunia database only recognize my machine if it is in the location at which the software was installed?

Being a laptop it is mobile and connects from many different places/networks.

At this point, it seems that I only have the protection PSI provides when the laptop is at work.

I'm wondering if I should go back to v1.5.0.2 which worked everywhere.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 18:45
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2011 18:46
on 10th Jan, 2011 12:51, abeloffv wrote:
Now my laptop is at work and the tray icon is green, hovering over it tells me the status, the scans work. All is well.

Nothing changed but the location and network to which my laptop is connected.

Does the secunia database only recognize my machine if it is in the location at which the software was installed?

Being a laptop it is mobile and connects from many different places/networks.

At this point, it seems that I only have the protection PSI provides when the laptop is at work.

I'm wondering if I should go back to v1.5.0.2 which worked everywhere.

Interesting query.... how does Secunia server know your laptop.
Profile ~ No, as the profile is optional.
Cookie ~ No, as Secunia only has session cookie.
Location ~ Appears location is the key ?
To confirm ... your PSI was installed at work ?
Again very interesting... not as I have a solution ;-(
Thanks for calling attention to "how does Secunia server know my machine"
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 18:52
Don't remember where the laptop was when version 1.x was installed. However, the upgrade to v2 was done at work.

The desktop I have at home, and my wife's laptop were both done at home. The desktop works just fine. The laptop works fine at home; not sure what happens when it travels, but I'll try to find out tomorrow. The laptop is going on a trip away from home tomorrow.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 04:01
I'm back on version 1.5.0.2.

I took my laptop home and uninstalled v2.0.0.2001 and tried a re-install. After the re-install was complete I only had the Secunia PSI Agent service, there was no Secunia Auto Update service. I also could not scan, and the tray icon was red and not working.

I went through these steps a second time with the same results.

Then I uninstalled and installed v1.5.0.2 which worked just fine.

I uninstalled v1.5.0.2, and did a thorough clean up including \Program Files\Secunia; \Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Secunia; and the registry unider HKLM\Software\Secunia and HKCU\Software\Secunia.

This wiped out the v2 configuration choices and all my history.

I then tried v2 install again with same results and one additional problem which was already mentioned here; the dashboard no longer worked either.

I uninstalled and cleaned up once again and installed v1.5.0.2. I'd like to have scanning working no matter where my laptop is located and v1.5.0.2 gives me that.

I'll watch here to see what develops and hope for a resolution that lets me go back to v2.

My conclusion is that whatever is preventing Secunia PSI v2 from working when my laptop is at home on my home network also is preventing the install from working.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 09:47
Hi,

Your identitfy in the PSI is not tied too your IP (external or otherwise), but to the UID string saved in the registry.

If you are having problems with the PSI, I suggest walking through this item of our FAQ: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 15:18
Please help me understand what is going on.

I uninstalled and re-installed multiple times at home on my laptop and was not able to scan or get the tray icon to turn green with v2. I'm not sure why the dashboard would not open either.

However, I removed v2 and installed v1.5.0.2 and was able to scan without any issues from my laptop while at home.

This morning before leaving home I updated to v2 once again. Same results, could not scan, tray icon red and not functioning, and no Secunia Update Agent service. Even after multiple restarts.

I did nothing else other than bring my laptop in to the office and using the same wireless card, I connected to the network at work.

The tray icon turned green, PSI did a successful background scan, and the Secunia Update Agent service is installed and active.

I emphasize, I did nothing in between other than power down the laptop, take it to work, and power it up.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 10:42
Hi,

Since this thread has strayed for from the original issue I am closing it. If your problem persists I recommend creating a new thread in the PSI subforum, and including a link to this thread an the answer to the below questions.

Is your home network a dialup connection?

Or do you use an authenticating proxy?

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability