Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dogbert2 PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Member 20th Dec, 2010 16:49
Ranking: 9
User Since: 15th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have installed the PSI 2.0 (final release) on my Windows 7 64-bit ultimate (works fine, but deletion of ignore rules could be quicker), but on my Laptop which runs Windows XP SP3 (all updates applied), while the PSI icon is in the systray, any attempt to open it gets a blank box, a flash of secunia, and then disappears.

Is this still a known problem in XP (it was when the beta testing was in progress)?

barney_b RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Member 20th Dec, 2010 17:32
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Dec 2010
Hi,
I have the same problem here with XP SP3.
Secunia was working fine and then I updated to the latest version following a prompt by a psi popup notification and now it doesn't work correctly. If I launch psi from the program menu or from the tray I just get a blank screen and eventually I have to force it to close.
PSI has been a great help all the while it worked, so I hope this gets resolved soon.
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2010 17:37
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Have you rebooted since installing and tried; initially, to start up from Start/ All Programs ? Just a suggestion....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Dec, 2010 17:51
Hi Mogs,
I have just re-booted and tried Start> All Programs> Secunia PSI but still no joy.
Thanks
barney_b
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2010 18:31
I usually run my Registry scanner between uninstall/install....tho' as psi does it all; I usually run it immediately afterwards. Some people don't like them....but there's all kinds of hiches, glitches etc., I never seem to suffer from. Maybe you've already run one....or that available in CCleaner ?
Another thing which may be worth giving a run round the block could be CHKDSK ? Searches for lost/orphaned/unindexed files so on and so forth.....consistancy of the disk....you may have already tried that too ?
I realize it may be an XP peculiarity; but may be found useful....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Dec, 2010 19:53
Last edited on 20th Dec, 2010 19:54
Right,

I uninstalled psi and re-booted, ran ccleaner and re-booted, downloaded and installed psi2.0, re-booted and still it doesn't work.

Launching psi now just results in a blank white window titled Secunia PSI with a box inside it saying verifying internet connection, but we don't seem to move past there, its as if psi can't connect to the internet.

If I hover over the taskbar icon it says "Secunia PSI 96% Secunia System Score" so something is working in the background!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SteveNemie RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Member 20th Dec, 2010 19:54
Score: 1
Hi Dogbert2,

I recieved an error of NSIS.sf.net/NSIS_Error when I tried to download and install Secunia 2.0 PSI

After checking the error message I did what they recommended.

The problem I had was solved. You have to Rename the Installer.

Try the steps I did and see if they work for you.

1. Download the new version of Secunia 2.0 PSI and Save to your hard drive or desktop.

2. After the download completes. Right click the file. Rename the original Installer file from SecuniaPSI.exe to Install.exe

I'm running Windows XP Home SP3
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2010 20:59
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello dogbert ,

Seems like we have a mixed thread here . I do not know if the old XP problem which dates from version 1.5.0.1 has been resolved (I doubt it , anyway) so here is the "old" fix from" smurphdude" which should (hopefully) solve your problem :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/624...

I doubt if it will work for @barney as that seems like an IE settings or firewall problem ; although the servers seemed to be very , very , very slow this afternoon which may not have helped .

let us know how you go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
pudelein RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Member 20th Dec, 2010 20:59
Score: 1
User Since: 16th Jan 2008
Like others in this thread, I have attempted to install PSI 2.0.0.1002 on a Windows XP SP3 system, but, also like others, have gotten only a blank window.I have installed PSI2 several times today, punctuated by numerous reboots and by other unsuccessful modifications: I tried changing the name of the installer, though I fail to see why this would work anyway, I have tried making IE8 my default browser, something that I dislike doing. None of the variations has produced anything other than disaster, which is to say, yet another copy of a blank window. I have reached my limits and have thoroughly cleaned out the new version and have reverted to PSI 1.5.0.2. I cannot understand why Secunia seems unable to solve these issues with XP, but I won't try the program again without assurances that it will be worth my while.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
robchris13 RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Member 20th Dec, 2010 21:14
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan 2008
I followed the instructions for renaming the installer and it worked fine - I can now access the dashboard AND the PSI recognized my installed programs!!
THANK YOU FOR THIS LITTLE TIP!!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2010 22:02
Hi,

I am new to these forums so forgive me for dragging the thread off on a slight tangent but can anyone help?

I don't have a software firewall on my machine other than the windows firewall but I do have a firewall/router. PSI has always worked on this setup before now. Are you able to point me to the ie settings I should look at or should I just reset?

Thanks

barney_b
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2010 22:04
Do you mean these.....Note 3 in the FAQ's ?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2010 22:15
Last edited on 20th Dec, 2010 22:18
Hello Barney ,

Your problem is probably not the same as the OP and if dogbert sorts his problem he/she could close this thread and leave you hanging ; so unless you are 100% sure you have the same problem , it's always best to start your own thread and give details like the actual version of PSI and your OS etc ,etc .

A hardware firewall in a router is excellent and Windows firewall may be all you need in addition , but that's a different kettle of fish . As it is they should not affect your connection to Secunia .

So next check your IE settings are as per this from the FAQ's :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Then you may wish to try setting IE as your default browser and downloading and installing the PSI anew - you can change browsers once you are set up .

Anthony

EDIT : crossed with Mogs' post ; I'll leave it to him now .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
dogbert2 RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Member 20th Dec, 2010 22:20
Score: 9
User Since: 15th Jul 2009
I tried the remove trick mentioned here, and PSI 2.0 now works on XP SP3. It did have an error on dashboard, but that was due to not having a scan completed (once that was done, the dashboard worked just fine). I will do some more testing to make sure this is working properly, but in the meantime, the languages/detail trick appears to solve the problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2010 22:25

Good to hear , dogbert . Perhaps you could leave the thread open a while longer to see if @barney gets his problem fixed .

Let us know if you have any other queries .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2010 22:51
Many Thanks to Anthony and all other contributors who replied to my posts.

I have tried everything that was suggested to me but my issue still remains. I will start my own topic on the subject tomorrow evening.

Best Regards,

Barney
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 release still doesn't work under Windows XP SP3
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 19:10
Hi,

Please direct all questions/feedback in regards to this problem to this thread:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/678...

And please give the instructions in my post to the above thread as of 17:56 a try. If this has resolved the issue for you, fantastic! If so, please post back to the thread and tell us which of the multiple solutions did the trick.

If not, post to the other thread and let me know. We will then look more deeper into the issue.

I am locking this thread - If anybody has questions, comments or feedback, I suggest you direct it at the official 2.0 Final thread! :)

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+