Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: 2.0 CPU usage high

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
RagTagger 2.0 CPU usage high
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 12:18
Ranking: 1
User Since: 6th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 12:19

Hi guys. The new 2.0 looks decent but the psi.exe process is using 50% of my Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.5 GHz CPU for some reason.

Win7 Pro 64, 4 GB RAM, Spyware Doctor w/ AntiVirus 7.0.0.545, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.0.4.3409.520.1244. Everything's patched per PSI.

On another note, an upgrade installation over 1.5.0.2 never would complete in 3 tries running from an admin type account. I had to install using the full 'Administrator' account which was never required with version 1.5.

Thanks for any suggestions to make PSI work better on this notebook and keep up the great work!

mogs RE: 2.0 CPU usage high
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 12:48
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Just a suggestion. I've found that defragging....optimizing files/system...etc., etc., prior to running a psi scan, keeps CPU low....mostly in the 10-30% bracket.
Hope it's of some use/help....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
RagTagger RE: 2.0 CPU usage high
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 21:54
Score: 1
User Since: 6th May 2008
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 21:55
While defragging has its merits and may play a part during a PSI scan I fail to see how it has anything to do with PSI when it's not scanning, which is when I'm seeing the 50% cpu usage by psi.exe.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 22:21
Point taken.....'twas just a suggestion....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 23:10
You're not running IE9 Beta by any chance, are you ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 03:56
No IE9 beta running here.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: 2.0 CPU usage high
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 09:08
Hi,

Please confirm that it is the psi.exe process and not psia.exe in process monitor that is causing high CPU usage. Is this still reproducable?

If the psia.exe process is the one causing high CPU usage, could I ask you to send the psialog.txt file to support@secunia.com?

Otherwise, if psi.exe is the problem, open the PSI, and enable 'Create Log File' on the settings tab. A psilog.txt file will be created. Run a full scan (while monitoring the process to verify the high CPU/mem usage), and then send us the log with all details about your operating system/architecture/computer/etc.

With this info we will look into the problem more deeply.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 10:19
Emil -

It is psi.exe that is using ~50% of my cpu when PSI 2.0.0.1003 is idle.

A psilog.txt file has been created and sent to support@secunia.com.

thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lazissa1 RE: 2.0 CPU usage high
Member 24th Dec, 2010 14:31
Score: 3
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
I have a thread open with the same problem. I found yesterday that the CPU hitting 50% only happens if I don't have PSI set to start at boot time. If PSI is set to start at boot time there aren't any problems.

I was wondering if your computer is the same. Do you have it set to not come up at boot time when the CPU usage goes to 50%? If so, would you set it to start at boot time, reboot, and see what it does?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Dec, 2010 03:25
It looks like you may have something there, Lazissa1.

With the 'Start the Secunia PSI on boot' option checked when the GUI (psi.exe) is started, there generally is no problem with high CPU usage on my notebook.

I hope this info provides something for the Secunia kids to work with.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Dec, 2010 04:18
Thank you for checking. It helps a lot. So the question is what happens differently in a manual start versus a boot start. Thanks again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: 2.0 CPU usage high
Member 25th Dec, 2010 20:05
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 25th Dec, 2010 20:07
on 24th Dec, 2010 14:31, Lazissa1 wrote:
I have a thread open with the same problem. I found yesterday that the CPU hitting 50% only happens if I don't have PSI set to start at boot time. If PSI is set to start at boot time there aren't any problems.

I was wondering if your computer is the same. Do you have it set to not come up at boot time when the CPU usage goes to 50%? If so, would you set it to start at boot time, reboot, and see what it does?

Why would I want or need PSI to run at boot. So, If I start at boot then less CPU.
If I manually start then high CPU. Why would I add a third party anything to start at boot that is not default integral to sys boot function.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Dec, 2010 22:35
I agree. I don't want it to start at boot time as well. I'm looking for a workaround until it's fixed.

If you don't start PSI at boot, so far I found that if you do one of the following prior to manually starting PSI:

1) Manually start psi_tray.exe
or
2) Manually start the Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache (WPF) Service.

Your computer could be different depending on its configuration. In the end, the PSI developers need to fix the problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 00:29
on 25th Dec, 2010 22:35, Lazissa1 wrote:
I agree. I don't want it to start at boot time as well. I'm looking for a workaround until it's fixed.

If you don't start PSI at boot, so far I found that if you do one of the following prior to manually starting PSI:

1) Manually start psi_tray.exe
or
2) Manually start the Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache (WPF) Service.

Your computer could be different depending on its configuration. In the end, the PSI developers need to fix the problem.

Thanks for the info...
Is 2.0 a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) application.
WPF applications will start this service if it is not already running.
http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Windows_Presentati...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 00:46
I know how WPF is supposed to work. What I know about PSI on my computer is that it has helped if I start it manually prior to starting PSI (when PSI isn't started at boot). This may not work for eveyone. It depends on your setup. I also know that there are other services, load modules, etc. that my be needed.

The most dependable way that I've found to run PSI if it's not coming up at boot time is to run psi_tray.exe manually before manually starting PSI.

I'm just looking at options until PSI is fixed. Every user needs to decide what's best for them. And, of course, running an old version while waiting for this one to be fixed is an option for people to consider.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 17:02
on 26th Dec, 2010 00:46, Lazissa1 wrote:
I know how WPF is supposed to work. What I know about PSI on my computer is that it has helped if I start it manually prior to starting PSI (when PSI isn't started at boot). This may not work for everyone. It depends on your setup. I also know that there are other services, load modules, etc. that my be needed.

The most dependable way that I've found to run PSI if it's not coming up at boot time is to run psi_tray.exe manually before manually starting PSI.

I'm just looking at options until PSI is fixed. Every user needs to decide what's best for them. And, of course, running an old version while waiting for this one to be fixed is an option for people to consider.

Thanks again for your helpful information.
Thanks for continuing our dialog.
Granted, "it depends on your setup".
I am at 1.5 and if I were to run 2.0. I would probably not opt for auto updater. Since, Secunia has not provided documentation for 2.0 (user guide , images, how to info). If you will permit, may I pick your brain. I questioned WPF only because PSI has never called for WPF on my Vista box. I was not in any way questioning your procedure / work around. If I may ask...with 2.0 set to start at boot. Does 2.0 call for WPF services (default Startup Type Manual) and change Status to Started. With 2.0 set not to start at boot ...which WPF are you starting 3.0 or 4.0. I was simply surprised that 2.0 is a WPF application. I would install 2.0 if not for the fact that I read on these boards that 2.0 does not have a Patched list. I read a user that initially could not install 2.0 could not re-install 1.5. So, for the time being. I'm following 2.0 as an observer.
Interesting that high CPU was not evident or resolved in beta testing.
Respectfully
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 19:42
We are cluttering the thread belonging to RagTagger. Let's move to my thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/688...
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+