Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Realplayer doesn't install properly

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
RealNetworks
And, this specific program:
RealPlayer 1.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Recruiter Realplayer doesn't install properly
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 15:47
Ranking: 1
User Since: 18th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 15:48

I currently have Realplayer SP 1.x installed. It is located at:
M:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe, ver. 12.0.0.879.
I have been trying to update to the latest version (14.x), for the last few days. I used PSI's dowload solution link. I have opened Realplayer and Updated through the Help menu. I have even gone straight to the Realplayer web site to download and install the new version.
Each time, it will detect the older version, tell me it will uninstall it for me, and is supposed to be installing the new version. The old version gets uninstalled, and I get about half way through the reinstall, and everything disappears. I then try continuing installing Realplayer, using the download from the webpage, or the icon on my desktop, and the installation stops each time, and never completes, even though the older version was removed.
Now I'm stuck with no update, and an uninstalled Realplayer program. My only way to get it back, is to do a system restore, which gives me back Realplayer SP1.x, run the Setup, and I'm right back where I started from.
How do I successfully update the Realplayer properly?
Thanks

Post "RE: Realplayer doesn't install properly" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Realplayer doesn't install properly
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 16:35
Hi,

RealPlayer SP 1.x is End-Of-Life, meaning that no more updates will be issued by the vendor. The only 'solution' for such a program is to either remove it or upgrade to a supported version.
Alternatively, you can add an Ignore Rule in the PSI (though keep in mind that potential security holes in this software will never be patched) by going to the Results tab, expanding the program's entry with "+" and clicking the "ignore program" button to the left.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Recruiter RE: Realplayer doesn't install properly
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 17:48
Score: 1
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
I understand that Realplayer SP1.x is End-of Life. I am trying to get Realplayer 14.x. I have tried several ways to get Realplayer 14.x to install, but it always quits around 50%, after which SP1.x has been uninstalled, and I have to do a system restore and setup to get back to where I was.
How do I successfully install Realplayer 14.x?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Realplayer doesn't install properly
Dedicated Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 18:30
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
on 22nd Dec, 2010 15:47, Recruiter wrote:
I currently have Realplayer SP 1.x installed. It is located at:
M:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe, ver. 12.0.0.879.

Could the problem be related to the file location on you PC?
What do you use "M" drive for?
Can you not download/install to "C" drive?
And if I recall the previous version was 12.0.1.609 -- not the version you've listed.

try the following download link:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_realplayer/

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 19:39
on 22nd Dec, 2010 18:30, TiMow wrote:
Could the problem be related to the file location on you PC?
What do you use "M" drive for?
Can you not download/install to "C" drive?
And if I recall the previous version was 12.0.1.609 -- not the version you've listed.

try the following download link:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_realplayer/[/quo...

My "C" drive has Vista HP, which I used for a while, but found it had some limitations I needed to use. I leave it there for warranty purposes. I then installed Vista pro on an "M" drive, as a dual boot, and use that as my main OS.

When I downloaded the link from filehippo, I seemed to be getting further along than before, but then it would stop and say I don't have administative rights to change the registry. I did another system restore, just prior to the download, I ran as administrator, and got to the same point.
Could I be doing something wrong?
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gjjean RE: Realplayer doesn't install properly
Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 19:57
Score: 192
User Since: 9th Apr 2010
System Score: 100%
@ Recruiter

If you are able to do a restore then go for it and from the Real Player menu hit the “Help” and then “About” and finally hit “Check for updates”.

This is the most convenient way to do an update, else as per Emil Petersen you have to uninstall Real Player by a trusted uninstall program and follow the advice of TiMow.

One thing at last: If you are installing a downloaded version take care of where the install path offered by the program itself and correct the path of the installation folder.

Happy holydays

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 22:02
As I mentioned earlier, one of the options I've tried was to use the "Check for Updates" option in Realplayer's Help>About. As always, you choose to download Realplayer 14, go through the desktop options, registration sign-in, and choose Basic Realplayer. It goes through the uninstall, then the copying and configuration, until it reaches 51%, then disappears. At that point Realplayer is not installed, and I have to go back to System Restore to get myself back on track.
So far I've tried 5 different ways to install Realplayer. Through PSI, Realplayer's update option, Realplayer's website, filehippo and CNet's download listings. None of them are working for me.
Please help!!!
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Realplayer doesn't install properly
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 12:44
Hi,

Please remove every instance of RealPlayer SP 1.x for your system. Run a full rescan. If it is completely gone, try installing RealPlayer 14.x again and running a scan.

Is it still shown as RealPlayer SP 1.x? If so, please file a software suggestion for the detected flie, and explain the issue in the comments.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 23rd Dec, 2010 13:37
@E.Petersen
Hi Emil
My reading of @Recruiter's problem, is that it isn't that PSI is reporting the previous version as insecure (although it may have initially alerted him to the update), but he can't fully install latest version (14.x), with the installation failing at approx. 50% complete.
When previous version (12.x) is present, the new install will remove this, but fails to fully complete.

@Recruiter
From reading your posts, I think I haven't read that you've manually uninstalled Real Player before attempted installation. I would try this -- even with the assistance of Revouninstaller (or equivalent), if necessary; and then rebooting before attempting a clean install of latest/current R.P.

Things to remember:
- create new restore point, prior to starting, as a fall back;
- remember/record your sign-in account details, as these will still be registered against your e-mail address, with Real.

Other general points that may or may not have an effect:
- clear out browser temporary files and off line storage cache;
- try another browser for download, using 3rd party source (e.g. Firefox from filehippo): NB when I used Ff. for download, file size was 584kb - are you getting complete download?;
- consider if you need to do registry clean (with caution) with CCleaner (or equivalent).

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 15:20
Hi TiMow
You are correct. So far I've been letting RP run its own uninstall, during the configuration process. On the Realplayer website, there are directions to do a full manual uninstall and reinstall. My concern is getting back my pictures/videos/playlists after the reinstall. Are they stored in >Program Files>Real>realplayer>library or somewhere else? I don't want to do the uninstall, until I know where to retreive everything. Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 23rd Dec, 2010 16:04
I can't give you a conclusive answer to satisfy your concerns.
However, it is usual that any program where personal settings, files, docs., etc. are made/stored, locates these details outside of the main application - often Documents and Settings, so uninstall and clean re-install can be made, without losing personal files/details.
Unless another user can categorically confirm this is true with R.P., all I can suggest, is you can run a search for Real Player files/folders in Windows Explore, to see if this confirms this, and where possible try to back-up your personal files onto disk. I would also think that by setting a restore point before uninstalling, would be a further safeguard.
But that for now, is all that comes to mind.
As I am sure this isn't the first time you've updated R.P., it is strange that it isn't following the usual pattern. I also updated without the need to uninstall first, without problems. Something has thrown a spanner in your works.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Dec, 2010 17:33
@ Recruiter

Pictures, Videos and Playlists are all saved under C:\Users\yourname\My Music or \My Pictures or \My videos.

Before doing your uninstall or reinstall, go and check if this is correct.

These are the locations under windows7.Maybe this is true for vista.

Good luck.

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 17:53
jjjean:
I just checked, and you are correct. My files are located right where you said it would be. Now I need to go through the motions of uninstall/reinstall, and hope for the best. I'll do that at my next break. Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 19:17
Now I can honestly say, I'm getting frustrated. I did a clean uninstall of Realplayer, as outlined in their instructions. I tried to install Realplayer, using the download from filehippo, and I still get the same error message. I don't have administrators rights to change the registry, even if I Run as Administrator.
Then I download the file from real.com. It is also doing the same thing it was doing before. It installs up to 51%, stops, shows the screen saying thank you for installing Realplayer, but its not installed anywhere.
I really don't know what is happening.
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 23rd Dec, 2010 19:56
Gutted - sorry to hear.
I'm more or less out of ideas, but can't help wondering if there still may be a conflict between the 2 Vista versions you're running. Have you correctly set up your administrator a/c on the Vista pro? Have you tried install to Vista HP on your C drive?.
It may be that some general PC housekeeping, maintenance and clearing out (as I mentioned previously) may help, bur failing that, I'm at a loss.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Dec, 2010 20:02
@ Recruiter

If you tried everything with no luck, go to the following site & download the Real Player alternative, then uninstall the Real Player, reboot and install the downloaded file.

http://filehippo.com/download_real_alternative/tec...

Please let us know the results.

Good luck

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 21:52
After far too many attempts, I'm taking your advise and downloaded the Realplayer Alternative, and I'll simply use that one. It doesn't seem as refined as RP, but what the heck. Some day I'll figure out what went wrong, and fix it.
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+