Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: re-sec2 fixes

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
joesoap1264 re-sec2 fixes
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 15:53
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 15:54

Hi, I have just upgraded to sec2, and it says I have 97%, 2 fixes which when I try button I get unable to locate browser/url. 1. is microsoft office powerpoint viewer 2003. end of life.I have ot all updates but it's still there. 2.SunjavaJDK1.6/6.x end of life.button again says the same thing. I cannot find sunjava 1.6x/6.x in progams add/remove.All I have is java DB 10.4.2.1/ java TM 6 update23/ java TM SE Developement kit 6 update 14.also I have had to reset my username/password to write this.Any help would be appreciated. PS I am not a new member.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault
windows vista premium sp2

Chrome
Aol

mogs RE: re-sec2 fixes
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 16:17
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Here's a copy of an official reply concerning the psi problem :-

I've seen a rising number of users with problems opening links in the PSI
Therefore I've created this small guide to help our users to solve the problem.

Describing the issue:
When clicking a link in the PSI, the user will experience one of the following:
1. Error message: "An error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL"
2. The link is opened in the wrong browser.

Why is this happening?
The PSI runs in admin mode to be able to have access to all folders while scanning.
Therefore the PSI will also use the admin account default browser, which may not be the one you prefer.

How to solve:
The PSI uses the information in this registry key to determine the browser to open link in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command

To see this, open the Registry Editor by typing the following in either "Run.." (WinXP) or in the "Program search field" (Vista/7) in the start menu:
regedit

Notice the path to the browser in the registry key?
If the path refers to a browser no longer in that path, the user will get the "URL error" in the PSI
If the path refers to a browser that is on the system, the PSI will open links in that browser.

To change this:
Advanced users can change the path manually, however I would not recommend this if you're not 110% sure of what you are doing.

Otherwise you can try to open your preferred browser in admin mode by right-clicking the browser icon and pick "Run as administrator".
Go to the options section of your browser and make it your default browser.
Remember to completely close the browser once you have done this as you do NOT want to browse the Internet with a browser in admin mode.

M.Hansen Secunia Support

Best try to sort that out first....hope the foregoing helps....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
joesoap1264 RE: re-sec2 fixes
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 16:51
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
Hi, Thanks for reply.Bit complicated.can you, or anyone tell me how to get sun java jdk1.6x/6x, which is 1 problem, from 6.0.140.8 to latest version 6.0 220.4 ? So much for auto update.Before I installed sec2, I got 100% on 1.6.I have 3 browsers, aol my default, then IE and firefox.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 17:09
It's a while since I had occasion to manually sort Java...but here's a copy of Maurice Joyce's which should help you :-

JAVA PROBLEMS
Can be used with Windows XP,Vista & Windows 7 - 32 & 64 Bit Systems.

Go to Control Panel>add/remove.

Uninstall ALL versions of JRE or JSE or JDK or JVM or JAVA(TM) EXCEPT for JAVA(TM) 6 Update 22.

Now do a full PSI rescan & all should be in order.

Windows does not require JAVA to be installed to work therefore if U make a error & uninstall the lot it does not matter.

U can download the latest version from here if U really require JAVA.

http://www.java.com/en/download/ie_manual.jsp?loca...

U can test it is working correctly here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Update 1 11:12 04/11/2010

Of course you don't have update 22, so that won't apply...and you should get update23 when you do.

Hope this helps

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 17:34
Hi, Thank. Just done it via Sun Java itself, ( I THINK). 99% now. Just microsoft office end of life now.Don,t use it so may just remove all office??? Use open office now.Cheers.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 17:48
Glad you are managing to sort things out.
Just thought I'd reiterate again tho'....the following paragraph taken from my previous post...is meant as an alternative for those who find entering the registry complicated..:-

Otherwise you can try to open your preferred browser in admin mode by right-clicking the browser icon and pick "Run as administrator".
Go to the options section of your browser and make it your default browser.
Remember to completely close the browser once you have done this as you do NOT want to browse the Internet with a browser in admin mode.

If and when you do feel matters resolved however; could you please close/lock the thread.....as the originator of it, you'll see Accept.....clicking on it will prevent tag-on posts and reminder e mails....thankyou......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 19:41
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 19:46
Hi Mogs, Done as you proffered. Regedit and it went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. and opposite it showed. NAME=DEFAULT.TYPE=Reg_SZ.Data. value not set.didn't dare go any further.Cannot enter forum at all from my psi.on tray?? 100% now, but done manually.with control panel/add/remove. As regards Java, re-downloaded whole new JDK /JRE direct from Sunjava.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 22:16
The reason I emboldened the alternative for you, was that I thought it would be easier for you.....have you tried that ?
I've never had occasion to use either method, personally....hence the reason for the copy of an official solution.
Tho' you've used IE8 (?) for settings, as per the psi FAQ's....what is your default browser ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: re-sec2 fixes
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 22:49
Score: 2426
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Hi ,

I can fully understand that you would not dare go further in RegEdit , it can be daunting . This thread and the links to @lilabner and others will tell you what you need to type in as the "string" to get the PSI to pick IE or any other browser to use it's links .

Do not do any fiddling and ignore this information if you do not completely understand and you are not totally sure :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/496...

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 10:16
Hi, At present I am having nothing buttrouble just trying to reply to you. from main site page. I have to log on twice , click this/that, just to be able to reply. Tried right clicking on secunia, run as admin, same problem.I have used secunia foe years, always had trouble with Adobe/flash/java, as most people did.I thought this would help but it seems a retrograde step. No good having links that cannot be used. It,s never had trouble with URLS in the past.I will try the next posters advice and reply.At present, PSI is only good at detecting faults, then fixing them is up to me. Flitting from one site to another just to useforum is a pain,Cheers.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 10:34
Last edited on 23rd Dec, 2010 12:18
Hi Anthony, looked at thread, very confusing.;I am on Vista premium, andas I mentioned above, when tracing link, I do not get any Browser showing on the right hand side, or shell/command/etc.AOL is my deault browser, and from the key on left, it just says default on right, I think it,s ab on a ripped paper icon. sign. It,s so confusing. I cannot find anything in that thread I would feel confident in following.The op didn,t know how the link started orking again.It would appear to me the links are not finding any of my 3 browsers at all. Cheers PS How can Auto update work if PSI cannot locate a Browser/url?

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joesoap RE: re-sec2 fixes
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 17:18
Score: 3
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
Hi Anthony. ok now. Made Firefox my default browser.Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: re-sec2 fixes
Expert Contributor 24th Dec, 2010 17:42
Score: 2426
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hey Joe :))

Sorry not to have been back sooner :(( Pleased that you have got a browser working from/for the PSI ; did you use the RegEdit or did you just reset your "default" as also suggested ??

Whichever , well done !!

I have Firefox set and the PSI uses it ; on occasion it needs to use IE ( eg: for M$ solutions) and I get a pop-up asking/telling me so , just agree it if you need to so do .

Am not around for a few days , so festive greetings .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joesoap RE: re-sec2 fixes
Member 24th Dec, 2010 18:01
Score: 3
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
Hi Anthony, Thanks for reply.Just allowed Firefox as default browser and psi uses it. I don,t know why it,s suddenly decided IE8 wasn,t available, it,s used it for years.Seems fine at present.Have a good Xmas.Cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability