Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 lockups and high CPU utilization

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Lazissa1 PSI 2.0 lockups and high CPU utilization
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 22:00
Ranking: 3
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Running Windows 7 (32-bit), the workstation service is running, and I have rebooted since the install. When I start PSI, one of three things happens:

1) CPU hits 50% and never drops
2) When scan completes, PSI locks up while trying to load scan results
3) After scan completes and results are displayed, CPU utilization stays at 50%

Any help?

Lazissa1 RE: PSI 2.0 lockups and high CPU utilization
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 22:57
Score: 3
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
FYI, I'm using Internet Explorer 8 not the version 9 beta.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 2.0 lockups and high CPU utilization
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 23:14
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

You may need to wait for tomorrow CET for Secunia ; it may be a problem with the psia.exe .

Emil Petersen is trying to collect install problems here (see his post near the end of the thread) and has posted a set of possible fixes :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/678...

It may be that you have a psia.exe connection problem to the Secunia servers ; does closing the GUI and the tray icon and restarting from All Programmes help ?? The latest installer is 2.0.0.1003 and has fixed some problems . Try loading it to desktop and run it from there .

Tell us how you go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 23:27
I have already done the things that Emil Petersen posted. I did have problems installing even after removing temp files and using different browsers but the install finally seemed to work.

Closing and restarting doesn't help. I am running the latest (2.0.0.1003). I've already tried running from the desktop.

Any other suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 23:37
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 23:39
In Task Manager (or similar) with the GUI loaded you should have psi.exe , psia.exe , sua.exe and psi_tray.exe running ; which are using high cpu and memory ??

Psi.exe is known to use cpu and is why it can be stopped by closing the GUI . Psia.exe may use a lot of cpu (intermittently) at once or building up when it cannot get to the secunia servers correctly .

Enabling programme monitoring in settings can also be implicated under certain circumstances .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 23:47
psi.exe is what eats up the 50% CPU. You're correct that it's only as long as the GUI is open but it also becomes none responsive at times as well.

I don't show sua.exe as running.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Dec, 2010 00:16

Too late for me now , ether Secunia or I will be back tomorrow ; or someone else may pick up .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 lockups and high CPU utilization
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 09:38
Hi,

For those experiencing high CPU usage from the psi.exe process.
Please open your PSI and enable logging on the settings tab. Then run a full scan, and email us the newly created 'psilog.txt' file at support@secunia.com

We will then investigate the issue
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 13:36
I sent psilog.txt and psialog.txt.

PLEASE NOTE:
For this scan, CPU usage went to 50% as soon as I opened the GUI. The scan did complete (sometimes it locks up). CPU dropped to normal after the GUI closed. It was psi.exe that was using the CPU.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 15:21
While I've been looking for possible solutions in some of the other threads yesterday and today, I believe that I missed the ftp link as a possible download. I don't think that I had tried it yesterday.

So, I uninstalled PSI adn got the download from the ftp site. It installed fine. When I start the GUI now, the CPU usage doesn't jump to 50% immediately. The scan runs but the GUI locks up (not responding) when the window comes up saying that it's trying to load the scan results. I rebooted and tried again - same thing.

I'll capture logs and e-mail them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 15:28
Hi,

If you install the latest build of the PSI 2.0 (1003), does the problem still occur?
You can fetch it here: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 15:49
I have been running 1003 with the problems that I've indicated. I just sent the second set of logs.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 15:59
Anthony Wells mentioned sua.exe in one of his notes above. I've never seen sua.exe running on my machine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 17:10
I found something important:

I've been running PSI with it set to not start at boot time. I just tried alternating between the start at boot turned on and off several times (rebooting between each change). Every time that it was turned off, I had high CPU usage problems and lockups. Every time that PSI started at boot time, it worked without problems.

So having PSI start at boot time is a work around, but I don't want it to start it at boot time. I only want it to start manually.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Dec, 2010 20:04
bjm-,

I was just trying to say that WPF seemed to help sometimes. Maybe I was premature in stating it. I've also experienced PSI fail but then work if I start it again. This could mean a timing issue (I've seen that many times on other work).

I have a list of possible causes to the problem but I'm looking for workarounds. It takes Secunia to fix the problem which they will do. I just play with things like this in my spare time and have been distracted since I first started looking at it.

There are three options that I don't think are premature in stating. If you're having problems with PSI:

1) Have PSI start at boot. (This one isn't what I want but may be OK for others.)
2) If you don't start PSI at boot, try running psi_tray.exe and then start PSI. (Again, there are no guarantees that this will work.)
3) Run an older version of PSI.

If I get more time, I'll play with it some more to narrow down the possible problems and increase the number of options. Ultimately, Secunia will fix it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: PSI 2.0 lockups and high CPU utilization
Member 26th Dec, 2010 20:25
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 26th Dec, 2010 20:28
on 23rd Dec, 2010 15:59, Lazissa1 wrote:
Anthony Wells mentioned sua.exe in one of his notes above. I've never seen sua.exe running on my machine.

I installed 2.0 sandboxed and double click'd on PSI from the Scan Results list.
PSI as you know will open to the program location.
You will find sua.exe listed.
You should find sua.exe as you know with PSI > Program Files
Any guess as to what sua stands for....secunia update app ?
My sandbox'd 2.0 did not call for WPF
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 20:36
I don't know anything about sua.exe other than Anthony Wells brought it up earlier in this thread. I've never seen it run on my computer.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 20:39
OK. Yes it is the Secunia Update Agent. It could have run on my machine and I missed it. I have to go.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 21:44
Last edited on 26th Dec, 2010 21:47
on 26th Dec, 2010 20:39, Lazissa1 wrote:
OK. Yes it is the Secunia Update Agent. It could have run on my machine and I missed it. I have to go.

OK ... I know you have to go
Secunia Update Agent ... as it's new to PSI w 2.0. I imagine sua.exe is for 2.0 Auto-Updater.
Nice visiting with you
Cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Dec, 2010 18:10
Had a little time to look at this a little closer. Here's a little bit of info (maybe you already guessed at this).

When not starting PSI at boot but starting it later manually, the GUI seems to open correctly showing the Dashboard. At this point, the GUI is responsive but slow (because of CPU usage). Taking a look at psi.exe, I see:

1) CPU is at 50% (psi.exe has taken half of my Duo Core processor).
2) Private memory varies within a 2-3MB range and looks to be slowly increasing.
3) Page faults are happening at a rate of 100-200 per second.
4) The wait chain indicates that it is waiting on network I/O to finish.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Dec, 2010 19:14
Last edited on 28th Dec, 2010 19:17
on 28th Dec, 2010 18:10, Lazissa1 wrote:
Had a little time to look at this a little closer. Here's a little bit of info (maybe you already guessed at this).

When not starting PSI at boot but starting it later manually, the GUI seems to open correctly showing the Dashboard. At this point, the GUI is responsive but slow (because of CPU usage). Taking a look at psi.exe, I see:

1) CPU is at 50% (psi.exe has taken half of my Duo Core processor).
2) Private memory varies within a 2-3MB range and looks to be slowly increasing.
3) Page faults are happening at a rate of 100-200 per second.
4) The wait chain indicates that it is waiting on network I/O to finish.

So, you see this as a bug Secunia should fix.
What is the downside for you to start at boot. I'm against starting anything at boot I do not have to. So, I'm on your side. But, if auto updater is not enabled. What else is starting. If I disable sua service. What else starts up.
This has to be a bug. CPU usage should be less not more.
Unless the code is optimized specifically for start at boot. Any variation from preferred startup will not be tolerated. 2.0 has one preferred optimized mode. Start at boot. I'm going back to 1.5
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Dec, 2010 21:09
I compiled a list handle and module differences for when PSI is working versus when CPU is high. The list wouldn't display here very well so I e-mailed it to support. I hope it help in determining where the problem is happening.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 01:13
I did a little more analysis on the high CPU problem. I believe that I've narrowed down where in psi.exe the loop is occurring. The info won't display well here so I sent it in an e-mail to the support team.

In case I didn't mention it before, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit). Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 17:05
I forgot to include this the e-mail that I sent. To make sure that PSI wasn't having a conflict with another program, I did the same tests after booting in "Safe Mode with Internet" and got the same results:

For PSI to not get caught in a loop, psi_tray.exe has to run before PSI is started. Also, after running the stack on the thread, the loop is occurring at the same spot (psi+0x7981c).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmacri RE: PSI 2.0 lockups and high CPU utilization
Member 4th Jan, 2011 21:27
Score: 42
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
Last edited on 4th Jan, 2011 21:36
Hi Lazissa1:

Do you have any idea what sequence of events has to happen in order to get psi_tray.exe to load before PSI 2.0 is started? For example, do both the Workstation and Secunia PSI Agent (psia.exe) services have to be set to Automatic startup in Windows Services so that they both start at boot-up? Does the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option have to be enabled in the PSI configuration settings?

I have not enabled PSI to start at boot-up and I'm also having problems with PSI 2.0 locking at startup or showing high CPU usage by psi.exe. I've seen a few posts in other threads where users having these same problems have mentioned that they don't start PSI at boot-up.

--
Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * IE 9 * FF v. 31.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 23:19
I haven't experimented with the Workstation Service. Mine is set to come up automatically at boot. I can see where it may be used but I don't know. I haven't played much with psia.exe because I quickly learned that psi_tray.exe made an obvious difference in whether or not PSI worked (read above).

Disregard the comments above on WPF Service. My filter wasn't working correct when I was gathering data. I almost made it all year without making a mistake. It was a sad day.

As far as sequence of events (on my computer and by my testing):
My workstation service comes up automatically. If I get time, I'll try playing with it. Then, to make PSI work, either:

1) Set PSI to start at boot. This starts psia.exe which starts psi_tray.exe. PSI (the GUI) can then be started and seems to work.

- or -
2) Set PSI to not start at boot and then run psi_tray.exe before starting PSI (the GUI). (You could probably start psia.exe instead of psi_tray.exe because it would start psi_tray.exe - I haven't tested this)

Due to the characteristics of what's happening with psi_tray.exe and the looping thread in psi.exe which eats up CPU, I feel that it's a timing issue between what psi_tray.exe and psi.exe do and in what order they are started. This is just my guess.

You can do your own playing with the boot setting, psi_tray, etc. All I know is that the above has worked for me. If I get a chance, I will play with the Workstation Service.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Jan, 2011 01:21
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2011 01:48
Hi Laziss1:

Regarding Option 2 of your last post (i.e., if PSI start at boot-up is disabled), when you said "run psi_tray.exe before starting PSI", do you know of any way to start psi_tray.exe other than browsing to C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI and starting psi_tray.exe manually from that location? I can't see any other way of starting psi_tray.exe on my system. I can only see the Secunia PSI Agent (psia.exe) and PSI Update Agent (sua.exe) in my Windows Services, but there's no service associated with psi_tray.exe.

The startup type of both the Workstation and Secunia PSI Agent services are currently set to Automatic in my Windows Services, but psi_tray.exe does not start after boot-up on my system (possibly because the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option is currently disabled in my PSI configuration settings).

I'm in a bit of a catch-22 situation right now because I have a dial-up Internet connection at home and can't seem to do anything to get PSI to connect to the Secunia server or display the dashboard interface when I use a slow dial-up connection. The splash screen just sits at "Verifying Internet connection.." and nothing happens (the display of the progress bar doesn't even look like it's trying to scan for the Secunia server) even if I leave my computer alone for several minutes. And if I can't view the PSI dashboard then I can't change my configuration to enable PSI 2.0 to start at boot-up.

I was able to see the dashboard and run a PSI scan a few days ago (I hit 100% CPU usage a few times) but I was using a public WiFi Internet connection at the time. I never had problems using PSI v. 1.5.0.2 with my dial-up connection, so perhaps your theory about the timing of how all the PSI 2.0 services are loaded could be the key to the problem on my machine. I may have to give up doing any more troubleshooting until I'm back on WiFi.

--
Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * IE 9 * FF v. 31.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 02:14
I just ran a quick test of the Workstation Service. I normally have it start at boot but I disabled it for this test. I then booted into "Safe mode with Internet" to reduce the variables and possible conflicts. I ran psi_tray.exe and then started PSI. The GUI started but then it locked up. I wouldn't say that this is absolute proof but it's pretty sure that PSI wants the Workstation Service (or some of its components).

You should be able to right click on psi_tray.exe and create a shortcut on your desktop for it.

Changing the settings to start PSI at boot time (or not) only changes the Secunia PSI Agent services between automatic and manual as far as I know. So, if you have Workstation Services and Secunia PSI Agent services set to automatic and PSI doesn't work, then you seem to have something different from me going on. The services should automatically start psia.exe and it should start psi_tray.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Jan, 2011 08:45
Hi,

We have managed to resolve the Workstation service dependency for the PSI, and will deploy this solution in a later release.
To be clear: Once we deploy this solution, you will no longer be required to have the Workstation Service running to make use of any PSI functionality. :)

As for the general CPU usage issues, we are still investigating and will deploy a solution as quickly as possible.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 15:25
Installed the update (2.0.0.2001). It works great now.

Thank you for your efforts. PSI is a great application.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 15:38
Hi,

We released a new build of the PSI today (2001), which, amongst others, resolved the CPU utilization problem.
For more detail, please see: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/678...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 22:16
Emil / Lazissa1:

Just wanted to report that I've been using PSI 2.0 Build 2001 for a few days now and haven't had any high CPU utilization warnings or CAPI2 errors. Yeah!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability