Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: M$ Script debugger still comes up

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
GBH666 M$ Script debugger still comes up
Member 24th Dec, 2010 15:50
Ranking: 1
User Since: 24th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Another user reported the following on a previous thread which was marked as resolved and locked. However, it's not resolved ...

I just upgraded from 1.5.0.2 to 2.0.0.1003 (downloaded from Secunia site, and running under XP Home SP3) and I'm having exactly the same problem. The Script Debugger opens in
https://psi.secunia.com/psi/2000/index.html
with an "invalid argument" error at line 4781
"this.interval = setInterval(aulink.periodic,1000);"
If you close the debugger you immediately get the same error again...

Very annoying...

I have the same issue on XP Home SP3. It works fine on Windows 7.

Regards,
Graham

mogs RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Expert Contributor 24th Dec, 2010 16:03
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Havn't come across the issue before...I don't think : apart from another reporting it a few posts ago...which also hasn't been replied to/resolved.
Where did you see the thread you refer to as resolved ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ldynblks RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Member 24th Dec, 2010 16:08
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Dec 2010
I am having the same issue on WinXP sp3 with the script debugging error that puts you in a loop. The program never opens due to the errors. When I go back and try to install the version 1.5 it says it is there but when clicked on it never opens, just closes and disappears. This is extremely frustrating as now I have nothing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GBH666 RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Member 24th Dec, 2010 17:15
Score: 1
The thread which was resolved was the original "M$ Script Editor comes up" (TimCushman), which is where the second post I referred to came from.

Regards,
Graham
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2010 17:22
on 24th Dec, 2010 16:08, ldynblks wrote:
I am having the same issue on WinXP sp3 with the script debugging error that puts you in a loop. The program never opens due to the errors. When I go back and try to install the version 1.5 it says it is there but when clicked on it never opens, just closes and disappears. This is extremely frustrating as now I have nothing.

You are suffering from two different problems. The script debugging has not yet been resolved (see my post above) but the other issue of the blank window etc has been addressed elsewhere in the forum. The solution (for now) is to go to the properties for the Secunia PSI exe file (right-click on the program name in the Start menu and select Properties) then goto the Compatibility tab and check "Turn off advanced text services for this program". Now the program will start but you will still get the script debugging problem (just keep saying "No" to the dialog boxes and after a few times it stops and the program runs properly).

Regards,
Graham
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Expert Contributor 24th Dec, 2010 17:37
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Thanks Graham....I see what you mean......the thread has been closed, tho' without an obvious conclusion......and I'm not sure when a Secunia official may next be about to prevail upon.
I think if I were in your position I'd clear out all my temporary files/browser cache : run my registry scanner and CHKDSK....check again that my settings in IE8 correspond exactly to those in the FAQ's (Note 3) ,http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... and try a fresh install.
Hopefully, someone else will have something to add/advise. Sorry I can't be more helpful....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 24th Dec, 2010 18:04
Last edited on 24th Dec, 2010 18:17
Thanks mogs. However, the issue does not appear to be related to failing to reach the Secunia site (all my settings are as the FAQ suggested) but is due to a bug in the script it runs from there (https://psi.secunia.com/psi/2000/index.html).

BTW Hitting the "No" button 8 times on the Just In Time Debugging dialog bypasses the issue and it then runs.

Regards,
Graham
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 24th Dec, 2010 18:55
Thank you so much for the help. You are right, click "no" 8 times and it goes away. I guess I was not that patient. And checking the option on compatibility tab in properties allows it to open. Thanks again for the assist. Just ran my first scan with 2.0 and it was very fast!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2010 21:20
on 24th Dec, 2010 18:55, ldynblks wrote:
Thank you so much for the help. You are right, click "no" 8 times and it goes away. I guess I was not that patient. And checking the option on compatibility tab in properties allows it to open. Thanks again for the assist. Just ran my first scan with 2.0 and it was very fast!

No probs. Glad to help. Hope that Secunia sorts out the script issue soon.

Regards,
Graham
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TimCushman RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Member 26th Dec, 2010 13:42
Score: 3
User Since: 18th Nov 2010
Hello Again.
Sorry about closing the previous thread. I inadvertently clicked on resolved. It is NOT resolved as of yet. I see that others are having the exact same problem. Yes, clicking 8 times will get you to the program but that is not the cure. It seems obvious that the program is trying to contact a server but will wait only "1000". Either the server is not online or the wait time is too short. Either way, Secunia has to investigate this error.
In the meantime, I have removed the version 2.0 and gone back to the version 1.5 for now. To uninstall everything get the following RevoUninstall program. It works great and will even clean out registry items.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_fr...
Someday we will re-install the new version.

on 24th Dec, 2010 15:50, GBH666 wrote:
Another user reported the following on a previous thread which was marked as resolved and locked. However, it's not resolved ...

I just upgraded from 1.5.0.2 to 2.0.0.1003 (downloaded from Secunia site, and running under XP Home SP3) and I'm having exactly the same problem. The Script Debugger opens in
with an "invalid argument" error at line 4781
"this.interval = setInterval(aulink.periodic,1000);"
If you close the debugger you immediately get the same error again...

Very annoying...

I have the same issue on XP Home SP3. It works fine on Windows 7.

Regards,
Graham

--
TimC

What depreciates quicker than a new car ? A Computer !
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 26th Dec, 2010 16:18
I installed the uninstaller and went back to 1.5 also. After the first day 2.0 would not open no matter what the answer to the script debugger. 2.0 still needs some work before I will try to run it again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Member 27th Dec, 2010 10:57
Hi,

Please try reinstalling the PSI: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Verify that all your settings match those described here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Then walk through this list:
1) Ensure that the workstation service is running.
This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it, it should be activated.

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

Reboot and try again.

Has this resolved the issue?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Dec, 2010 14:56
Emil,
I tried your suggestions but to no avail. It still has to be clicked 8 times to get the program up and running. I even tried the "text" trick on all the executable files in that directory.
I even re-booted the computer so that the control panel settings would take place.
I think you still have a problem with some of the code.
One other item for you to look at while examining the code is the slow speed of Ignore Program response. I have many older programs which I do not want to update. It takes opening the folder (sometimes I have multiple instances of the program), clicking on the folder, choosing Ignore, waiting for the Ok menu to come up and then waiting again while the program sets the ignore. This operates much much slower than the previous version.
It was a good program but the "improvements" have made it unstable.
Tim

--
TimC

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Dec, 2010 23:14
on 26th Dec, 2010 13:42, TimCushman wrote:
Hello Again.
Sorry about closing the previous thread. I inadvertently clicked on resolved. It is NOT resolved as of yet. I see that others are having the exact same problem. Yes, clicking 8 times will get you to the program but that is not the cure. It seems obvious that the program is trying to contact a server but will wait only "1000". Either the server is not online or the wait time is too short. Either way, Secunia has to investigate this error.
In the meantime, I have removed the version 2.0 and gone back to the version 1.5 for now. To uninstall everything get the following RevoUninstall program. It works great and will even clean out registry items.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_fr...
Someday we will re-install the new version.

Tim,

I agree that clicking "No" 8 times is not the cure, but the problem is not that it is taking too long or that a server is not responding, the script is stopping with an "Invalid argument" error. And it is only doing this in XP, not Windows 7. So it is a programming bug which only manifests on older operating systems. That is what Secunia need to investigate (amongst your other concerns :)).

Regards,
Graham
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Dec, 2010 14:25
Graham (and others),
Well, after changing the Text Services attributes and re-starting the program, it still did not work (see my previous blog). I even re-booted the computer and still not working....still clicking 8 times.
Well, I gave up but left it on the computer to try another day. This morning, when I booted, it came up and WORKED.
Now, I have no idea why it is working. Even the tray icon is there.
I wish I could give a clue to everyone with the same problem but I can not.
All I can say is that after changing the items (above), turn off your computer and let it sleep overnight.
Stumped.

on 27th Dec, 2010 23:14, GBH666 wrote:
Tim,

I agree that clicking "No" 8 times is not the cure, but the problem is not that it is taking too long or that a server is not responding, the script is stopping with an "Invalid argument" error. And it is only doing this in XP, not Windows 7. So it is a programming bug which only manifests on older operating systems. That is what Secunia need to investigate (amongst your other concerns :)).

Regards,
Graham

--
TimC

Was this reply relevant?
+0
JW113 RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Member 30th Dec, 2010 02:02
Last edited on 30th Dec, 2010 02:03
on 28th Dec, 2010 14:25, TimCushman wrote:
Graham (and others),
... Well, I gave up but left it on the computer to try another day. This morning, when I booted, it came up and WORKED.
Now, I have no idea why it is working. Even the tray icon is there.
I wish I could give a clue to everyone with the same problem but I can not.
All I can say is that after changing the items (above), turn off your computer and let it sleep overnight.
Stumped.

2.0.0.1003 is now also working for me with XP SP3. I think the most likely explanation is that Secunia fixed the script in:
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Dec, 2010 14:11

I am not sure if you are saying that there is a new version out now.
My other post did not get to the board yesterday. I thought it was working but it is NOT.
The day after I said it worked, it failed again....clicking 8 times to start it.
So, let us all know if there is a revised version out now to fix the problem.
Tim

--
TimC

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Handling Contributor 30th Dec, 2010 14:21
Score: 11545
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Tim,
The latest version is 2.0.0.1003 - I think U have got that already.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 13:58
Well, here it is a new year (2011) and we are still fooling around with this new version.
Maybe the new year will bring the solution ?
My "clicker" is wearing out. (8 times x boots/day = lots of clicks)

--
TimC

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: M$ Script debugger still comes up
Member 5th Jan, 2011 10:08
Hi,

After walking through this:

Please install the latest build: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Ensure that all your settings in Internet Explorer (regardless of which browser you personally prefer) is configured to match what is described in this item of our FAQ: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Reboot your system and start the PSI again.

Does this issue still occur?
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability