xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
909090 Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Member 25th Dec, 2010 13:50
Ranking: 1
User Since: 29th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
Why is everyone so enamored about 2.0? My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw it. Gone is the patched program list and the cool circle graph. Replacing them are a confusing interface, and a piece of software so buggy that it crashed for times when I was configuring it.

You can download 1.5 here. http://secunia_personal_software_inspector.en.soft...

mogs RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Expert Contributor 25th Dec, 2010 21:38
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
The "love affair" might be explained by looking at all the users that made contribution to it's development.....all the suggestions and advice and criticism that Secunia listened to ; in the Beta stage ? Is that why it all came as bit of a shock to you perhaps....you didn't take part ?
I havn't had the problems in Vista....Windows 7 may be even more wittier ? XP hasn't always had all the crap ?
Maybe your problems are all your own....and you don't get a free unresponsive forum either ? Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+7
mogs RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Expert Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 13:45
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Thought the following might be of interest...extract from recent Secunia News :- The Secunia PSI 2.0 final release follows a successful Beta test, which revealed highly interesting findings that support the need for auto-updating. Over 90,000 users within the Secunia community tested the solution, providing valuable feedback to further enhance the solution, and 385,272 security patches were automatically installed by the new Auto Update feature. During the Beta test, the Secunia PSI 2.0 automatically installed critical security updates to approximately 37% of Adobe Flash Player users, 47% of Sun Java users and 24% of Adobe Reader users.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2

bjm__

RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
[+]
This reply has been deleted
bjm__ RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Member 26th Dec, 2010 21:13
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 26th Dec, 2010 21:49
Hello 909090
The Patch Programs list is still available with click Total Scan Results and Secure Browsing list is still available if you enable Secure Browsing page.
Granted, the circle graph and barber polls has been replaced with System Score and Patch History.
It's all there plus new features...just may not look the same and may not be in the old familiar place.
While I'm not apt to use Auto Updater as I prefer hands on. I do see the great value for those users that may prefer the ease of Auto Updater.
We all recall our teething pains with PSI v 1 ....
There was a learning curve as with any new app.
While I now prefer to interact with PSI. I cannot dismiss the enormous benefit for those users that will not be frustrated (as I was) by having to manually work in a patch.
Give it some time. I hope 2.0 will grow in you.
As to your buggy experience with 2.0
I do sense your frustration and I do commiserate with you.
Hopefully, all yours / everyone's bugs will be resolved.
Regards
Apologies for the split post
Was this reply relevant?
+2
paul170806 RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Member 27th Dec, 2010 01:02
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
System Score: N/A
2.final did not play well with 2.beta (100% cpu, looped scanning). I did a thorough uninstall with Revo Uninstall, and did a re-load with excellent results.

Patched programs are seen on the "dashboard" page: hit the "patch your PC" button, then click open "scan result"

Granted, it hardly leaps out at you, but it IS there!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TeeCee RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Member 27th Dec, 2010 04:17
Score: 1
User Since: 5th Apr 2009
I dl the 2.0 today, and cannot even open the use interface.. I am not liking what I see so far. No profile, no Interface to even see any of my installed programs. I did post my issues, so am waiting for a response. I am not liking it so far. Anyone know how long we can use the 1.5 v?

TIA!

Windows XP SP3
IE 7/ FF 3.6.13
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 05:37
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2010 05:40
Hi All;

FWIW, I've had problems with PSI v1.0.0.4 when I first started using PSI. The darn thing just would not load on a dial-up connection. I only used PSI when I took my laptops to WiFi land. Now PSI 2.0 takes seconds to start and the interface takes only a minute or two @56k.

If you give them a chance Secunia will get everything straight. I'm surprised at all the trouble with all the beta testing this time. The last major release (v1.5) was fun too and they finally got that fixed. Look for version 2.0.0.1 coming soon! ;)

If you want to see the work Secunia has done to get PSI to where it is now: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Dec, 2010 17:59
on 27th Dec, 2010 05:37, thedillpickl wrote:
Hi All;

FWIW, I've had problems with PSI v1.0.0.4 when I first started using PSI. The darn thing just would not load on a dial-up connection. I only used PSI when I took my laptops to WiFi land. Now PSI 2.0 takes seconds to start and the interface takes only a minute or two @56k.

If you give them a chance Secunia will get everything straight. I'm surprised at all the trouble with all the beta testing this time. The last major release (v1.5) was fun too and they finally got that fixed. Look for version 2.0.0.1 coming soon! ;)

If you want to see the work Secunia has done to get PSI to where it is now: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Regards;

Fred

Hello Fred, I went back to the V. 1.5. I am on dial up, and it worked great, I had no major issues. Now, I need to know HOW do dissable the balloon that comes up to update it to 2.0. Any idea? can I disable that? I think iti is an XP issue, from what I am reading in all these threads, most are with XP, and that is what I have.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Why Does Everyone Like 2.0?
Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 19:25
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi TeeCee;

For me anyhow, v1.5 made PSI usable on a dial-up connection. It worked fine for me and was a great help keeping things patched. It was a good version by any measure and should be remembered that way.

PSI 2.0 has the opportunity to exceed v1.5 by adding the Auto Update feature. That alone has cut forum traffic by, I'd guess, one third whenever Adobe or Java have a new patch. I have been using Auto Updates to take care of Flash and JRE since the 2.0 beta came out (I was nervous at first) and have had great success. I personally would have done the interface differently, but most people today don't like menus and lists.

Yes, it does appear that those having troubles are using the XP OS. It is unfortunate that these bugs have shown up in the final release. As much time as was spent working on the beta, one would think PSI 2.0 was ready to go. Have no fear, Secunia will get the job done.

As to 'popping' the update balloon, I don't believe there's a way to disable just it. If you want to play a little try this: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/power... These are goodies that MS has developed (or bought) for use in XP. If you download "Tweak UI" it will allow all kinds of cool changes to the way you interface with the GUI (Graphic User Interface). Try this to stop all balloon messages.

>Click "Start", hover over "All Programs".
>Hover over "Powertoys for Windows XP", click on "TweakUI".
>Click on "Taskbar and Start menu" to highlight it.
>In the "Settings" box, click on the check mark to remove it from in front of "Enable balloon tips".

Note: This will stop all balloon pop-ups.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Dec, 2010 19:51
I don't want to stop all balloon popups, just the one on V 1.5.

As far as tweeking my computer, it is fine, just the way it is, and is all updated. I don't like to mess with anything that is working. It isn't my 'computer' that is the issue here, but the software that is giving all XP users problems. I do plan to give Secunia time to solve these issues.

Hopefully, it will get resolved, as I do enjoy the program..

Thanks, but I think I'll leave the GUI alone for now. :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer