Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Receive error message upon starting computer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
iccohen Receive error message upon starting computer
Member 26th Dec, 2010 05:44
Ranking: 1
User Since: 25th Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hello-

I recently installed PSI 2.0 and am receiving an error message every time my Desktop appears. It states:

"Invalid program file name. Rename executable to psi.exe and try again."

I saw on the forum a similar problem from six months ago; the person was advised to download the file from a Secunia location. I tried the same thing, as I was having issues with my install.

I was able to install (and PSI 2.0 is still running even with the message), but I am at a loss on how to get rid of this message.

I am running Vista, HP Laptop, AVG, Comodo, Spybot S&D, etc.

Thanks,

-Steve

thedillpickl RE: Receive error message upon starting computer
Contributor 26th Dec, 2010 06:22
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Steve;

Welcome to the Secunia forum.

If I am reading your post correctly, you have successfully downloaded and installed PSI 2.0 . Also, PSI is working normally.

The message appears when
1) The computer starts or
2) When a program is closed or reduced, revealing the desktop.

My first concern would be malware of some type. No standard message from the OS would ask you to rename the executable. Taking that action could open a can of worms (literally).

Since, PSI is a reasonably small download and easy to install, I suggest uninstalling it completely, if you would, try Revo Uninstaller.

Is the message still there? If so, I'd find out what it is. Quite possibly it's something you don't want.

When you do reinstall PSI be sure to use the Secunia site.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+4
iccohen RE: Receive error message upon starting computer
Member 26th Dec, 2010 19:38
Score: 1
User Since: 25th Jan 2008
Yes, the error appears when the Vista Desktop appears.

1. I un-installed using Revo Uninstaller, Advanced mode

2. Re-installed from Secunia site

3. Ran Malwarebytes, Full Scan - nothing found

4. Ran AVG Anti-Virus, Normal Scan - nothing found

The error message still appears. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks,

-Steve
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2010 19:40
Fred-

Please note the error message is exactly what I noted in the initial posting. The message header says "Secunia PSI".

I can send a screenshot of it if you'd like...

-Steve
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: Receive error message upon starting computer
Member 26th Dec, 2010 20:07
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 26th Dec, 2010 20:16
on 26th Dec, 2010 05:44, iccohen wrote:
Hello-

I recently installed PSI 2.0 and am receiving an error message every time my Desktop appears. It states:

I saw on the forum a similar problem from six months ago; the person was advised to download the file from a Secunia location. I tried the same thing, as I was having issues with my install.

I was able to install (and PSI 2.0 is still running even with the message), but I am at a loss on how to get rid of this message.

Thanks,

-Steve

I read you run Spybot. Spybots Real Time components Tea Timer (& SD Helper) may/will conflict with other Real Time Security apps.
I wonder what your 'etc' apps are.
Is Comodo the Firewall app.
What Comodo app(s) are you running.
What AVG app are you running.
Does Comodo FW grant full permission for 2.0
Please note > If something tries to change critical registry keys, TeaTimer will detect it. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes by giving you an option: You can either Allow or Deny the change. TeaTimer is always running in the background.
If you have Tea Timer running in the background... maybe it prevented a clean 2.0 install. You may try disabling Spybot Active protection... Try running 2.0 or try a 2.0 re-install sans Spybot Active Real Time protection.
If your are running multiple overlapping real time security apps. You may not have a clean 2.0 install or conflict
$.02
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 03:26
Hi Steve;

Thanks for doing all that.

I would not think a 'nasty' is up to no good. Mbam & AVG should have shown something. Did you happen to notice if the message went away when PSI was uninstalled?

bjm brings up a good point. Running several security programs at the same time can cause conflicts and other glitches. If you're up to try it again, could you uninstall, shut down all but AVG AV, check that Windows FW has started to replace Comodo and use Task Manager, Processes to make sure everything is really shut down. Check that the 'message' is gone, then install PSI. After PSI is up and running, reboot to start your system the way it normally is (everything running; i.e. Comodo, Spybot, etc.). This will rule out the effects of security programs on the install.

Thanks for mentioning that the message appears to be from Secunia. I'll contact Secunia to see if this is so. Also I believe their input might be of benefit.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: Receive error message upon starting computer
Member 27th Dec, 2010 10:13
Hi,

For anyone still having problems downloading/installing the PSI, please clear your temporary Internet files and cache, and then download the PSI again from this location: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

wynsue

RE: Receive error message upon starting computer
[+]
This reply has been deleted
bjm__ RE: Receive error message upon starting computer
Member 27th Dec, 2010 17:21
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2010 17:26
on 27th Dec, 2010 10:13, wrote:
Hi,

For anyone still having problems downloading/installing the PSI, please clear your temporary Internet files and cache, and then download the PSI again from this location: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Hope this helps.

Wondering for those having issues. If perhaps along with following your instructions...that they perhaps do not check any auto options on install setup. Auto-Update Config ~ No checks &
Tray Icon Config ~ No Check.
Perhaps the 2.0 automatic first scan upon install bumps against a vulnerable app and 2.0 tries to do to much before 2.0 has had a chance to settle in and before 2.0 system has a reboot. After reboot if 2.0 is stable then User may add/change setup options after proven clean install / reboot. Perhaps Install should be sans Setup Config. Install / reboot, familiarize, test all links, confirm profile / view scan results .....then add / change Setup update user preferences. If Install cannot run stable after reboot. Then why try to fix a corrupt install. Just seems like too much may occur before install has had a chance to settle in. I'd test two reboots just to establish a clean install. Then test links and confirm profile. Before 2.0 does it's Auto stuff. Establish that 2.0 is stable and able to connect to Secunia.
$.02
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 18:22
Hi Emil;

Thanks for posting.

There was an initial problem installing PSI, however (see original post below) PSI is installed and working. The problem is the error message that won't go away.

on 26th Dec, 2010 05:44, iccohen wrote:
Hello-

Thanks,

-Steve

> Is this message originating from PSI?

on 26th Dec, 2010 19:40, iccohen wrote:
Fred-

Please note the error message is exactly what I noted in the initial posting. The message header says "Secunia PSI".

I can send a screenshot of it if you'd like...

-Steve

Thank you for helping in this matter.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Dec, 2010 02:26
Gentlemen-

I tihnk I solved the problem. I uninstalled PSI again using Revio Uninstaller.

I then cleared the caches of my browsers, and reinstalled from the ftp site suggested in the thread.

After rebooting, I received error messages (different ones) stating the tray file & exe files couldn't be found.

The key was these were coming from WinPatrol, which warns when major files are changed. I went into WinPatrol and saw that the files were still listed in StartUp. I removed them from StartUp, and rebooted the machine- no error messages!!!

Seems that when the full uninstall went through the pointers weren't removed from WinPatrol.

Thank you all for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

-Steve
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 28th Dec, 2010 02:47
:)

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+