Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: vista update problem

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Windows Vista

This thread has been marked as locked.
akuigla vista update problem
Member 27th Dec, 2010 18:16
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
hello,
for the last month my vista can not install the latest update.Every time it displays error code 8007371B.
I found microsoft solutions with fix it.Didnt work even in agressive mode.Downloaded update readiness tool-no avail.
Any help will be apreciated.
Thanks

mogs RE: vista update problem
Expert Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 18:54
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Try Windows Vista Forum here :-

http://www.vistax64.com/

Hope it helps.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 19:00

More info/edit

Vista Forums > Vista Newsgroup Archive > Vista Newsgroups > Vista mail
Error Code 8007371B
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/150924-error-co...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
akuigla RE: vista update problem
Member 27th Dec, 2010 19:40
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Mar 2009
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2010 19:41
Thank you for your reply.
Ive searched from your links, but didnt find any specific help for 8007371B error
Sorry for the missing info about my computer
My pc is vista home premium, service pack 2, x86 based system,32 bit
I dont know is it related but, my pc has a problem 0x8007002 for a long time and system restore is not working
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 20:09
Is psi flagging anything as insecure ? What version of psi are you using ? Is it flagging Vista as insecure ? If so, the recommended procedure is as follows :-

When updating Microsoft Applications, it is a good idea to keep in mind that some Microsoft Updates do not "kick in" until after a reboot. Therefore, it is recommended to try following this procedure when installing Microsoft Updates:

1) Check Microsoft Update: install all security-related patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1: repeat step 2 if anything was installed at this step
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI

Do you use Belarc Advisor which could also confirm your position ? It's free, from here, if not already using :- http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Have you tried running CHKDSK to correct for unindexed files/orphaned etc., and consistancy of the disk...recently ?

Have you tried running the registry scanner in the new CCleaner, at the least, lately; or a more thorough program ?
I havn't had any experience with errors on my Vista...but from previous reading, in searching for others; registry problems can often be the cause.

Hope it helps....regards.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ddmarshall RE: vista update problem
Dedicated Contributor 27th Dec, 2010 20:36
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
If you are having problems with security updates, you should be able to get help from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?t...

Click the link for no charge Virus and Security-Related Support.

If you are in the US or Canada, Microsoft provide support on 1-866-PCSAFETY.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Dec, 2010 19:31
Last edited on 28th Dec, 2010 19:56
Thank you guys for your help
I just open my pc and didnt have time for anything else but to thank you and answer the questions
Im using Ccleaner on a regular basis
The problem with the updates is that they can not be installed,I tried at least dozen times with the reboot
I live in Montenegro and Im not elegible for the free phone support
Yes,you are right about secunia listing vista as insecure because of the missing updates and the error is the same
The second insecure program is internet explorer.When I go to secunias proposed download, I see error 0x8007002
I dont have belarc.Im not sure that I underestand when you say that belarc will confirm my position-do you mean belarc will show the missing or unsecure program?Can you be more specific about belarc.
Secunia is the last version Im using
I run CHCKDSK and SFC once a week
Please stay with me untill the problem is solved.I was not able to find help elsevere, or solved it myself
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Leendert Kip vista update problem
Member 28th Dec, 2010 20:03
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 28th Dec, 2010 20:06
on 28th Dec, 2010 19:31, akuigla wrote:
I live in Montenegro and Im not elegible for the free phone support

I assume you have an OEM-version of Vista which was pre-installed on a pc by the manufacturer. I myself have an HP with an OEM-Vista. It's indeed normal that OEM customers have no free phone support for technical problems with Vista updates but as far as I know it's Microsoft practice to give e-mail support. Maybeyou can try that via the MS site in your country.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
ddmarshall RE: vista update problem
Dedicated Contributor 28th Dec, 2010 20:39
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 28th Dec, 2010 20:47
The Fixit in agressive mode clears out most of Windows Update. So you must have an obscure problem. You've already run SFC and presumably found no problems.

The System Update Readiness Tool should cure both these error codes. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821. There is more advice on what to do if the tool fails here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee61977...
At this stage things get so complicated that it is probably quicker to reset your computer to factory settings and reinstall all your programs and data.

The only suggestions I can make is to disable or uninstall your antivirus and firewall temporarily (apart from the inbuilt Microsoft firewall) and try again. Or download the updates individually from the Microsoft Download Center rather than using Automatic Updates.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 31st Dec, 2010 11:36
I tried and received help from microsoft as you sugested.However, neither their solution worked.
Still the same error with update-8007371B.
Any other solution?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 18:01
akuigla

Here's more information on Belarc Advisor :-
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Below is an extract from.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.1p)

Download Belarc Advisor | Download Tips | Frequently Asked Questions

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.
Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 7, 2008 R2, Vista, 2008, 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4, Me, 98, and 95. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows is supported.
Browsers: Runs on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and many others.
File size: 2385 KB.
License: The license associated with this product allows for free personal use only. Use on multiple PCs in a corporate, educational, military or government installation is prohibited. See the license agreement for details.

I know you said that you used CCleaner.....I wonder if you'd like to try the Registry Scanner that I use with Vista ? If so you can see more details here :-
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-clea...
See FREE download on the right of that page, if you decide to give it a try.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
puget1 RE: vista update problem
Member 31st Dec, 2010 23:50
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2011 01:54
To:akuigla

Are you using automatic updates from Microsoft? Do you know the exact KB updates you are missing? This problem first appeared approx. 1 year ago and appears to be harbored in SP1. The info you have from above contributors is about all you can do. I am afraid your registry is corrupt and that you need to reinstall your system from your OEM disk. Have you ever been infected with a virus reported by your anti virus? The only other possible hope is, that it is your security settings.

You might be able to repair the 8007002 problem from:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 or
http://www.0x80070002.net/

windows update error 8007371B - Windows Update

> E-mail Filter [August 2007] (KB905866)." every time i try to update this i get > an Error message code 8007371B. Would this be correct akuigla?

If so try http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx... direct download from:

This shows up on my p.c. on 12-15-2010 as installation. So depends on how old your p,c, is. I did not get my p.c. until 2008. The above build would probably solve your problem.

Hope this Helps: Don't forget to Restart your p.c. and rescan with P.S.I if the install is successful

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2011 22:25
I tried everything you proposed and the results are
Auslogic registry cleaner disabled my internet connections.I restored it by deleting all changes from auslogic, and uninstalled auslogic.
None of the solutions worked, but searching for the anwer, I managed ro repair system restore.
I remember that Maurice solved everything but it seems that he is not here.
Any other way to solve system update problem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Jan, 2011 23:08
Different helpers on this thread have made various suggestions....and asked some questions...which it may be worth you reading thro' again, and giving a more accurate reply. "Nothing works" is not really conducive to letting others help you.
I'm rather surprised that you've had that reaction with the use of the Registry Scanner....I've been using it with Vista for quite some time...Basic and Advanced boxes ticked....it's proven to be very reliable as far as I'm concerned. As you say tho', it's always possible to undo the changes it makes, so no harm done. Worth a try.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
puget1 RE: vista update problem
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 00:49
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 4th Jan, 2011 01:48
**THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS WORK AROUND:TRY IT AT YOUR (OWN!!!) RISK!!!!.**

Start un-installing say a half dozen of your successful updates, Hopefully, it will force MS servers to go on an inquiry search and force an install of "all" needed updates, when they do their scanning. (Be advised this could take between 2&4 weeks) One other thing verify with your ISP that the connection between your p.c. and them is consistent. It just might be your modem. I had this problem lost, all kinds of data. if you are using Dsl are all of your phone lines filtered. If Dsl do you have positive connection coming into the house i.e. no one has been doing, do it your self phone and electrical repair. Make sure of all connections. Outside of that it looks like a re-install of your O.S.

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+