Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: How does 2.0 update Adobe Flash

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bjm__ How does 2.0 update Adobe Flash
Member 28th Dec, 2010 15:32
Ranking: 64
User Since: 9th Mar, 2009
System Score: 100%
How does 2.0 update Adobe Flash
With 1.5 ~ I have to ..
Download/Save Uninstaller
Download/Save Flash IE Installer
Download/Save Flash FF Installer
Close PSI 1.5 (all Flash apps)
Run Uninstaller > Agree to License Agreement > Restart Computer
Run Flash IE/FF Installer > (may have to temp disable AV) Agree to License Agreement > Restart Computer

Does PSI 2.0 really perform all of the above with PSI 2.0 open.

Thanks

thedillpickl RE: How does 2.0 update Adobe Flash
Contributor 28th Dec, 2010 16:15
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi bjm;

It's really quite simple, ~MAGIC~.

Seriously, 2.0 doesn't use flash to display the graphics anymore. I've been using Auto Update for Flash and JRE since the beta, actually since the test of AU in 1.5, with no problems. I kept a close eye on it at first, now I pretty much ignore it. I do have it set to let me manually start AU as I'm on dial-up.

AU does leave behind 'zombie' files. PSI finally realizes that old files not being used are safe. If you wish you can use the 'Go to Folder' to delete them.

Hope that explains the situation enough.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: How does 2.0 update Adobe Flash
Dedicated Contributor 28th Dec, 2010 17:23
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
@bjm
Your listed flash update procedure, using PSI 1.5 is more lengthy than it needs to be.
For a while now, flash updates uninstalls previous version(s) (old.ocx file), without the need to run the uninstaller -- provided everything using ActiveX was fully exited.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bjm__ RE: How does 2.0 update Adobe Flash
Member 28th Dec, 2010 18:23
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
on 28th Dec, 2010 16:15, thedillpickl wrote:
Hi bjm;

It's really quite simple, ~MAGIC~.

Seriously, 2.0 doesn't use flash to display the graphics anymore. I've been using Auto Update for Flash and JRE since the beta, actually since the test of AU in 1.5, with no problems. I kept a close eye on it at first, now I pretty much ignore it. I do have it set to let me manually start AU as I'm on dial-up.

AU does leave behind 'zombie' files. PSI finally realizes that old files not being used are safe. If you wish you can use the 'Go to Folder' to delete them.

Hope that explains the situation enough.

Regards;

Fred

Aha! One more piece of the puzzle. So, 2.0 does does require flash to render System Score bars and Patch History chart. What renders the 2.0 graphics then.

The sua intrigues me. sua is added to Local Services. Does sua always run in background even if I do not enable auto-updater. May I disable sua in Local Services if I do not use auto-updater. How do I discern zombie old file not being used and safe to delete. Please explain why you have to manually start au with dial up. Regarding my latest Flash update ~ 1.5 pointed me to Uninstaller. Adobe site points to Uninstaller. So, you're telling me that the barber polls and pie chart are not Flash and PSI 1.5 no longer require Flash Uninstaller. When did PSI 1.5 stop using Flash to render graphics. I still have to close 1.5 as I cannot update a running (Flash) app. Sorry, you lost me with 1.5 AU Flash.
Quote PSI 1.5 >
According to the vendor, you should be able to use the following tool to uninstall Adobe Flash Player from your computer:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
It may help to close all programs that might be using Adobe Flash Player (the PSI, all running browsers etc.) before running the tool.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: How does 2.0 update Adobe Flash
Member 28th Dec, 2010 19:00
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
on 28th Dec, 2010 17:23, TiMow wrote:
@bjm
Your listed flash update procedure, using PSI 1.5 is more lengthy than it needs to be.
For a while now, flash updates uninstalls previous version(s) (old.ocx file), without the need to run the uninstaller -- provided everything using ActiveX was fully exited.

So PSI 1.5 instructions are wrong
According to the vendor, you should be able to use the following tool to uninstall Adobe Flash Player from your computer:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
It may help to close all programs that might be using Adobe Flash Player (the PSI, all running browsers etc.) before running the tool.

Abobe puts out an uninstaller just for fun.
Depending on download venue. Flash install may have uninstaller. My Flash IE/FF install does not have uninstaller.exe.
So, for a while now, Flash updates uninstalls previous version(s).
Then why does PSI 1.5 point to uninstaller.
Jeez, just when I learn the rules. They go and change the playbook.
Perhaps, you will understand why I have been so confused. My playbook got lost in the mails. Heck, I still run JavaRa. 6U22 found 6U21 dross. Java is supposed to uninstall the immediate prior version. Well, JavaRa still has a job on my system.
I've been away from these boards for so long. Everything changed. I've been content to get by with old manual hands on silly extra steps.
So, even if I'm running a Flash app. 2.0 will update the running app.
So, even if I'm running a Java platform app. 2.0 will update the running app.
So, even if my system is running defrag. 2.0 will still do it's auto updating.
So, I can have open IE and FF with multiple open tabs running YouTube videos and Java programs. & 2.0 will still be able to auto update Flash and Java.
Who agrees to the License Agreement ?
Must be Magic
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer