Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Program Monitoring

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
dxmca Program Monitoring
Member 31st Dec, 2010 22:20
Ranking: 0
User Since: 31st Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
For some time now PSI has not been informing me of program changes. This started with the old PSI and the problem still continues with the new 2.0 version even though I have the program configured for monitoring.PSI used to put up a pop-up every time a program changed or a new program was installed. A review of patched programs would appear to indicate that the program is aware of new programs, it just doesn't put up any notifications like it used to.Any help anyone could give me with this would be appreciated.

Post "RE: Program Monitoring" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Program Monitoring
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 22:32
Score: 11793
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Have U got the settings correct?

Open the DASHBOARD>Configuration>settings>modify them to your liking which includes "Show Detailed Program Changes"

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
dxmca RE: Program Monitoring
Member 31st Dec, 2010 22:47
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Dec 2010
Thank you for your reply.I do have the config settings set to monitor program changes. This problem started before I downloaded the new version. It was notifying me of all program changes then just stopped. I have been using PSI for a long time, almost a year, and I haven't encountered a problem like this before. I thought that the change to the new 2.0 version might fix the problem but apparently not.Any further ideas you might have would be appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 23:07
Last edited on 31st Dec, 2010 23:13
Bit confused by this.

Thank you for your reply.I do have the config settings set to monitor program changes.

Unless U set up the PSI setting as I described it will not work.

Edit:
If U require more details on the workings & settings of PSI 2 they are here:

OpenPSI>Learn More>Secunia PSI Maual(PDF)

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 1st Jan, 2011 01:07
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2011 18:28
Sorry for the confusion, I do have both boxes checked, program monitoring and detailed program info. This started with the previous version, which had been providing notifications for a long time but stopped without any changes having been made to the settings.I tried uninstalling and re-installing, and I also tried the Beta 2, same thing.I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium(x64),Intel Core2Duo @2.13 gHz, 4 Gb RAM.

I just tried going to the latest list of patched programs. picked a listed program, Google earth, then uninstalled it. Not only did PSI not note the change, when I went back to the Google earth entry in patched programs and clicked on re-scan it failed to detect that the program had been uninstalled.

I just took a look at patched programs again and. a day later, PSI no longer shows the removed program, although it hasn't done a scheduled scan. So I re-installed it, PSI did not notify, but right after the install patched programs indicates the addition.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: Program Monitoring
Member 1st Jan, 2011 22:09
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
@ Topic
The only time Program Monitoring notifies me is when I open PSI
Upon install / uninstall no pop-up
Upon open PSI then I get pop-up
Have no idea if this is as it should be or ?
I imagined Monitoring as a real time event.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Program Monitoring
Expert Contributor 1st Jan, 2011 22:19
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
I have psi 2.0 configured to start at boot. I get pop-up notifications of program changes/details, in real time, before and after opening/shutting down of the interface.
Hope the info helps.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Jan, 2011 22:57
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2011 23:01
on 1st Jan, 2011 22:19, mogs wrote:
I have psi 2.0 configured to start at boot. I get pop-up notifications of program changes/details, in real time, before and after opening/shutting down of the interface.
Hope the info helps.

Also, Start at boot and Monitoring.
I've been trying to see real time by uninstalling / installing Firefox Add-ons
So far no pop-up.

Had a clean over the top install AFAIK. Albeit, sometimes splash screen stalls.
Have to close and try again after awhile.
Interface / Scanning do leave significant Appdata tracks. I delete tracks. So, I may be causal.
Not thrilled about the tiny 1pt font and color scheme.
Seems like allot of real estate devoted to Weekly History and Monthly Patches.
Also, wasted real estate on Auto Updates advert & PSI Logo
Design team must really like gray bland opaque.
1.5 was easier to see and read IMHO
Cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2011 23:43
None of this is particularly relevant and I wish I could get a relevant answer. Previously the PSI tray app provided pop-up notifications in real-time when programs were installed, uninstalled or updated. This is the way PSI normally works.It then stopped functioning and re-installing the program didn't work , nor did updating to the new 2.0 version work. Thankfully this was a free download because it doesn't look like I'm going to get an answer, particularly when others keep trying to change the forum topic.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 00:12
on 1st Jan, 2011 23:43, dxmca wrote:
None of this is particularly relevant and I wish I could get a relevant answer. Previously the PSI tray app provided pop-up notifications in real-time when programs were installed, uninstalled or updated. This is the way PSI normally works.It then stopped functioning and re-installing the program didn't work , nor did updating to the new 2.0 version work. Thankfully this was a free download because it doesn't look like I'm going to get an answer, particularly when others keep trying to change the forum topic.

Jeez, I think it's relevant because I'm agreeing with you.
I'm supporting your findings. I agree with you.
If your prefer to battle this on your own then do not post in an open forum.
Deal direct with support@secunia.com
I read and understand your OP. I agree with you.
I really truly honestly wish you could get a relevant answer.
If you want a one on one dialog with Secunia Official or Secunia Expert.
I wish you would have stated those terms in your OP
I sense and understand your frustration.
I posted to your Topic to help. Why would I post to your Topic to change the Topic. Why would any user attempt to derail your Topic.
Reality check
We are all in this together.
If you want a Community of one. Then you may need to start your own Community.
Opinions expressed are solely mine and as such I am solely responsible

No one is forcing you to run 2.0
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 00:28
You are right. I'm going to uninstall PSI. They distribute it for free as a promotional device and the essence of a product like this is reliability.But the simple truth is that my AV programs, ESET and Prevx, do a far better job of monitoring program changes than anything Secunia puts out.And I really don't think they have much concern for indivdiual home users using a free product.I initiated this thread and the issue has been resolved. Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 01:57
on 2nd Jan, 2011 00:28, dxmca wrote:
You are right. I'm going to uninstall PSI. They distribute it for free as a promotional device and the essence of a product like this is reliability.But the simple truth is that my AV programs, ESET and Prevx, do a far better job of monitoring program changes than anything Secunia puts out.And I really don't think they have much concern for individual home users using a free product.I initiated this thread and the issue has been resolved. Thank you.

I ran 2.0 for a week. Found it not to my liking.
I uninstalled 2.0
I pulled a new 1.5 dl / installed 1.5.
My box is allot happier. Really ;-)
So, I'm happier.
Have you considered a clean uninstall of 2.0 and a clean install of 1.5
I agree with you. NIS11 offers protection for program vulnerabilities.
I still very strongly believe PSI is an extremely valuable asset to my toolbox.
I just didn't like 2.0
Good luck
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Jan, 2011 09:10
dxmca

Don't know when exactly you downloaded psi 2.0....can you confirm it's the very latest, as in my signature below ?
Whilst some users have experienced a variety of problems...I don't necessarily believe they're always Secunia's fault. Have you tried running CHKDSK to verify consistancy of the disc and to rectify lost/orphaned/unindexed files etc., etc.. ? It can sometimes help.
Chances are that when next an official is about...they'll have something to contribute.
I too understand your frustration...but hope your patience will out.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 09:34
Yes it is that version and yes I have run chkdsk and sfc scannow and there are no problems there.My system is fine. The fact that the problem began in the old version and continues in the new version leads me to believe that the product is just basically flawed because there are no problems in terms of other programs monitoring program changes, like ESET, and there is no conflict with ESET or other software. PSI has both a firewall exception and a network connection.The PSI program just doesn't work,although it previously worked very well for a long time and there was no real change in my system or software that I can connect to PSI's failure.I have a multi-layered security set-up and PSI was a useful addition, but since it clearly has bugs no results it produces can be trusted.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Jan, 2011 09:53
And when you installed psi 2.0....that was from a previous version 1.5 ?...or the psi 2.0 Beta ?
I moved to the new version from the Beta version; and it removed the previous and installed seamlessly.
I'm wondering that if you had a thorough clear out first and installed afresh whether the problem would again be inherited. If you do decide to go that way tho', you should be mindful of the effect 'pon your community profile.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 10:48
Tried that with both the Beta and the stable release. I know how to recover my profile. I'm really not a complete noob, I do know how to troubleshoot.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Jan, 2011 11:02
I didn't say you were a "noob" nor that you weren't capable !!! Haps your computer is as grouchy as you !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 11:18
Check out the video at this link https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0RdmpP9eh58MzE5N... to see a clean re-install of PSI 2.0 not doing what its supposed to do.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Jan, 2011 11:41
I think from what U have told me that U have a genuine problem that should be corrected by Secunia Support.

Contact is: support@secunia.com

My mail box is being flooded with "tag ons" getting nowhere. I will unsubscribe & leave U to lock (Accept) the thread if U want to stop it as well.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer