Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Scunia PSI crashes

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
peterichardavis Scunia PSI crashes
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 13:07
Ranking: 4
User Since: 3rd Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
I've upgraded to version 2, only to suffer the crash problem reported by others for earlier verions. Opening Secunial PSI creates a window, but, as soon as the scroll bar appears on the right, the window crashes. The solution of reverting to an earlier version seems to have been denied me by their removal from the ftp site. Can anybody suggest an answer? I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.

Post "RE: Scunia PSI crashes" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Handling Contributor 3rd Jan, 2011 13:13
Score: 11581
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
A link to older versions is here.
(Right hand side below main download links.)

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
mogs RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Expert Contributor 3rd Jan, 2011 13:15
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Have you checked thro' the FAQ's here...particularly Note 3 ? :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
HOW IT WORKS
Do the following observations help you :-

General explanations/observations concerning psi 2.0

For users having problems downloading/installing psi 2.0: clear out your temporary internet files and your browser cache, and then download the PSI again from this link:- ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Has this resolved the problem?

--

If you have IE 9 Beta installed : please note that this version in not officially supported. Amongst known problems using this version, is a lack of graphics on the psi 2.0 dashboard.
To solve this issue, downgrade to a supported version of IE.

--
Users wondering about localized auto-updates : you can configure which language you want a certain package installed in, by double-clicking the program's entry, and selecting the preferred language in the 'Preferred language' drop-down box.

--
Users wondering about translation of the psi User Interface : this process is already underway. However, since our translators are volunteers, we would not ask them to help us before the interface was finalized - ie. before the Final psi 2.0 was released this Monday.

However, the translation is already underway and a language release will be out in the new year.

--

For those unable to open the psi User Interface on Windows XP SP3 : there are several solutions that have worked for different users. If any of these solutions work for you, please post back to the forum with which solution resolved.

1) Ensure that the workstation service is running.
This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it, it should be activated.

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI) : right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike that described in step 2).

--

Some people have expressed concern that the psi 'closes' when the 'X' is clicked in the top right corner. However, it is only the user interface that is closed.

To keep the psi as light and fast as possible, we have seperated the psi into 3 components - the PSI agent, the PSI user interface, and the Tray Icon.

Closing the 'visible' part of the PSI only closes the User Interface, and not any other part of the PSI. This is also why it 'loads' all over again each time you start up PSI.

This feature was introduced to save CPU/memory while running in the background.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
shr10009 RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 13:53
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan 2011
I can't get version 2 to run on my XP SP3 Pro system, but it runs fine on my XP SP3 Home laptop. On my XP Pro system, I've verified the workstation service is running, and I've shut off the 2 Advanced Text features.

I have Visual InterDev 6.0 (SP5) - Microsoft Development Environment 6.0 installed, and when I try to run Securina PSI, about half progress bar fills in the splash screen, and then the debugger InterDev debugger shows up, and I get:

https://psi.securina.com/psi/2000/index.html [URL]

this.interval = setInterval(aulink.periodic,1000) [source code line]

An exception of type "Invalid argument." was not handled. [Error message]

Maybe this will help figure out what's going on.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 14:42
Hi,

Please install the latest build:
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Step through this list:

This service is enabled by default, so unless you have manually disabled it, it should be activated.

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text
services for this program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

And reboot your system.
After rebooting, is the issue still reproduceable?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 14:53
Yes, the behavior is 100% reproducible. I've already re-installed/rebooted several times, and verified the workstation service is running and the two advanced text features are shut off.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 15:51
Hi,

Please walk through these steps, and then email us the newly generated log file at support@secunia.com:

1) Click Start > Run, enter 'cmd' and press enter
2) Enter "cd %ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI" and press enter
3) Enter "psi.exe --verbose --debug secunialog.txt" to start the PSI

The PSI will run in debug mode when the above command is executed. Please email us the log file, and we will examine the issue in more detail.
When emailing us log files, please remember to include a link to this thread, as we request many log files each week.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
3-northernpike RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 15:54
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2011 15:57
@shr10009

Hi,

On my PC setup...Windows XP Pro sp3, IE 8, Norton's 360 Premier...encountered the following peculiarity in regards to the 2 Advanced Text settings ...steps 2 and 3 in a previous reply to this thread by Mogs :

PSI 2 seems to work if one or the other Advanced Text settings is chosen...not when BOTH are chosen. Currently, I have the non-global setting checked, and the global setting unchecked and my issue...granted, different from yours...seems to be resolved. Perhaps, this observation might help with your issue?

Hopefully,
SKD

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ruffdis RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 5th Jan, 2011 07:09
User Since: 5th Jan 2011
I finally escaped from the "aulink.periodic" problem.
I have just installed IE8.
It upgrades the JScript engine c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll from 5.7.6002.22145 to 5.8.6001.22960.

I guess it differs the treatment of the undefined member aulink.periodic.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 15:36
*** I finally escaped from the "aulink.periodic" problem.
*** I have just installed IE8.

I'm running IE6 with all the latest patches (including one which showed up today). For various reasons, I can't run IE8.

*** It upgrades the JScript engine c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll from
*** 5.7.6002.22145 to 5.8.6001.22960.

I do have jscript.dll version 5.7.6002.22145. Is there some way I can get 5.8.6001.22960 without upgrading to IE8?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ruffdis RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 6th Jan, 2011 02:31
User Since: 5th Jan 2011
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 03:09
> Is there some way I can get 5.8.6001.22960 without upgrading to IE8?

I have searched too but cannot find it.

However, the new build 2001 works good in the IE6 environment.

I uninstalled IE8, then jscript.dll was automatically reverted to 5.7.
Build 1003 also does not work because of the "aulink.periodic" problem.

Then I uninstalled PSI and installed build 2001.
It works!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
peterichardavis RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 8th Jan, 2011 12:42
Score: 4
I'm grateful for your prompt response, and sorry it's taken me so long to catch up.
Have you checked thro' the FAQ's here...particularly Note 3 ? :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
I have now, but it didn't help.
HOW IT WORKS
I'd already understood this, I think.
Do the following observations help you :-

General explanations/observations concerning psi 2.0

For users having problems downloading/installing psi 2.0: clear out your temporary internet files and your browser cache, and then download the PSI again from this link:- ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Has this resolved the problem?
I wasn't aware of any problem downloading, but had tried different ways, always wih the same result.
--

If you have IE 9 Beta installed : please note that this version in not officially supported. Amongst known problems using this version, is a lack of graphics on the psi 2.0 dashboard.
To solve this issue, downgrade to a supported version of IE.
This didn't apply to me.
--
Users wondering about localized auto-updates : you can configure which language you want a certain package installed in, by double-clicking the program's entry, and selecting the preferred language in the 'Preferred language' drop-down box.
This didn't apply to me.
--
Users wondering about translation of the psi User Interface : this process is already underway. However, since our translators are volunteers, we would not ask them to help us before the interface was finalized - ie. before the Final psi 2.0 was released this Monday.

However, the translation is already underway and a language release will be out in the new year.
This didn't apply to me.
--

For those unable to open the psi User Interface on Windows XP SP3 : there are several solutions that have worked for different users. If any of these solutions work for you, please post back to the forum with which solution resolved.

This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it, it should be activated.
It has never occurred to me to disable this.
2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI) : right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'
This worked for me, thank you all.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
sharonhall RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Member 8th Jan, 2011 18:14
Score: 2
User Since: 8th Jan 2011
I was having the same problem ... Secunia "window" would not stay open. I cleared out my temporary internet files and browser cache and used the link mentioned by "mogs" to reload the program. Thanks so much!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mogs RE: Scunia PSI crashes
Expert Contributor 8th Jan, 2011 21:40
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
peterichardavis

Thankyou for the comprehensive reply....glad you found something that worked for you.
If the problem is now resolved ; as you are the originator of the thread, you have the option to close it, by selecting ACCEPT. This will lock the thread : preventing tag-on posts and reminder e mails......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability