Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
taffy078 older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]
Contributor 5th Jan, 2011 16:01
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2011 16:02

Hi Emil / Morten

In this thread

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/707...

I thanked imacri for expressing so clearly what I'd been thinking on whether or not I really need to upgrade to PSI v.2. I use v1.9.0.2 and it "fits the bill" perfectly for me - I can't see that I really need the extras in v.2. I'm not a negative guy - it's just that I work on the principle "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So, Emil / Morten, has Secunia any plans yet to discontinue the use of the older versions? If so, have you any timescales?

Thanks.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Post "RE: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]
Member 10th Jan, 2011 11:08
Hi,

Sorry for the last reply. As you may have noticed, we have been busy lately.

For now, there are no immediate plans to 'break' the old versions, though we do not offer support for any other versions than 2.0.

However, we do strongly recommend that everybody upgrade to the newest versions, and can unfortunately not make any promises of continued support for older or beta versions.

Eventually, you can probably expect that they will be discontinued.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]
Contributor 10th Jan, 2011 11:45
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
thanks, Emil.

I will upgrade eventually!

My experience is that it's quite normal for new versions of programs to still have a few bugs that the beta testing didn't find/resolve. I simply haven't the time at the moment spend upgrading.

While I'm on, Emil, my daughter has asked me to add Secunia to her new laptop. Will I still be able to install v.1.9.02 on it?
Then when I upgrade mine to v2 I'll also upgrade hers.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]
Member 10th Jan, 2011 12:37
Hi,

Yes, you should be.
Unfortunately we do not mirror our old installers, only the 2.0 and 1.5.x versions, but if you have an old installer somewhere it should still work. :)

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
crackers RE: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]
Member 17th Jan, 2011 21:52
Score: 6
User Since: 1st Mar 2009
I'm on "info overload" right now so hope I can stay on track. :) I think I've been here reading posts for at least a couple hours. I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack but compared to several other forums that I'm a member of, I find this one quite difficult to maneuver.
Anyway, back on track ..... I don't keep PSI running all the time but do use it quite frequently so assumed I was running the most current version, pre v2. I have 1.5.0.2 but see reference here, by taffy, to 1.9. Is that due to a difference in what programs we run or have I missed several updates?

Windows XP Home SP3
IE 8

I too will wait on going to v2

Thank you.

Mon. 1/17/11 1:52pm
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]
Expert Contributor 17th Jan, 2011 22:34
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
If you look here it should explain a few things :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Hope it helps anyrate....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 00:11
Sorry, like I said "I'm not the brightest" so your link still leaves me in the dark.

And on not being the brightest, I have to go off track of the "topic" but have to post from here because this is the only place I find that I'm "logged in".

While I was here a couple or so hours ago I went to my profile to update my email address. Just checked my mail several mins. ago & found the one with link to confirm my change so clicked on it only to find that I pretty much need to start from scratch with info & there lies the rub .... I don't remember my password & there's no box to say "I forgot", which in other forums would give me a chance to select a new one so I could continue being able to post. Should I go ahead & make a guess & type something in that box?

When I said in my earlier post that I was having problems navigating the board, one of the things I was looking for was a "help file" on how to use the board, what to do in case of a problem, etc. but never got around to posting those questions elsewhere. Now I'm in a pickle, please help. As long as I'm here, another question that I couldn't find answer to is "do I understand that the object of "Subscribe to this thread" is just to be notified by email that there's a new reply?

Sorry to ramble on so much.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 08:42
Hello again crackers.
As you were having difficulty with different versions; my previous link to the Changelog was given, hopefully, to shed some light on it. The log shows all versions of psi in chronological order; and if you wish, you can expand each to examine the changes/modifications made.
There is indeed a "Forgotten Password" facility available to forum members....not obvious when logged in tho' !! It becomes apparent when about to log in.
You are automatically subscribed to a thread if you originate/initiate one ; and if you reply to an existing/ongoing thread. Yes, it will mean you will receive reminder e mails. At the top of any thread you are able to unsubscribe if you wish.
Generally, it is better...if you have a problem/issue....to start your own thread : see Create Thread in blue on the left of page. It is best to avoid posting in the Vulnerabilities section of the forum....safer to post to Open Discussions if ever uncertain.
Hope the foregoing helps for the time being....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Jan, 2011 17:19

Thanks Mogs, I finally got pw changed. Quite a different/confusing process from what I'm used to.
I did expand in the Changelog but still don't understand why I'm still at v1.5 'cuz IF i'd been given the option to update at any time I used the scan, I would have done so. I guess I didn't word my earlier post very well.
Thanks for all your help.

on 18th Jan, 2011 08:42, mogs wrote:
Hello again crackers.
As you were having difficulty with different versions; my previous link to the Changelog was given, hopefully, to shed some light on it. The log shows all versions of psi in chronological order; and if you wish, you can expand each to examine the changes/modifications made.
There is indeed a "Forgotten Password" facility available to forum members....not obvious when logged in tho' !! It becomes apparent when about to log in.
You are automatically subscribed to a thread if you originate/initiate one ; and if you reply to an existing/ongoing thread. Yes, it will mean you will receive reminder e mails. At the top of any thread you are able to unsubscribe if you wish.
Generally, it is better...if you have a problem/issue....to start your own thread : see Create Thread in blue on the left of page. It is best to avoid posting in the Vulnerabilities section of the forum....safer to post to Open Discussions if ever uncertain.
Hope the foregoing helps for the time being....regards,

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 17:49
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 17:50
Hi again crackers.
The very last update to the version you see in my signature box wasn't notified generally, as it was a minor release. Before psi reached the recent Stable versions there were a couple of Beta (test) versions. Prior to that there was the 1.5.0.0. non-Auto releases. With regard to notifications it's possible perhaps that you've got left behind.
If you wish to move on up to the latest version, you can download it from here :-
(http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe) psi 2.0 Full Version
Before doing so you might like to check thro' the new FAQ's here, as there have been some changes and additions to them since "the old days"! Ha!
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
I could give you the link to read thro' the PDF manual for psi 2.0....to preview for yourself if you'd like; but perhaps it's too much reading for you at the moment ? I'll include it anyrate and you can decide....:-
http://secunia.com/gfx/pdf/Secunia%20PSI%202.0%20-... PSI PDF MANUAL

If you do decide to go ahead with the install.....psi should pick up the older version and, with your permission, uninstall the old first.
Remember to have a thorough clear out of temp files/browser cache before doing so !
Hope this helps.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 18th Jan, 2011 19:53
Thanks again Mogs, that was really nice of you, I've saved the PDF to my desktop and now I know where to find FAQ's. But as I said in my 1st post yesterday, will hold off a bit before moving to v2.

I did give a "thumbs up" on yours as I think it will be helpful to others as well.

crackers

(gonna have to learn all my 'puter info then create a sig.)
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 20:33
@crackers.
Thanks very much for the thumbs up, and glad you found the post useful.
It might be worth noting at this juncture, that the thread was originated by one taffy.....being the amenable and hospitable chap that I know he is (!!) : he hasn't locked/closed the thread, whilst we've been in "discussion"....as an originator of a thread he will see an Accept button by Reply.
I also noticed you are showing a System Score of 98%.....are you using psi with the Simple or Advanced interface (?)....see top right of the psi panel.
One point worth noting here is that the psi 2.0 has no such demarcation.... !!
If you require any help with the other 2%, it might be a good opportunity for you to open a new thread and familiarize yourself with the workings of the forum at the same time.
No rush....just that taffy may be getting fed up of clearing his Inbox of reminder e mails ! Ha!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
taffy078 RE: older versions of PSI [i.e. pre - v2]
Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 20:37
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
thank you mogs! I'll close this soon but for now I'll give you the time, space and megabucks (in used fifty-dollar notes) to ensure that you help crackers resolve his/her problem. :0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 18th Jan, 2011 21:24
Wow, this is spooky, "great minds run in the same channel"! :-)

I too was thinking that we were hogging the original topic but didn't quite know how or what to say, altho' I did UNsubscribe from it, then was about to log out when I also noticed the 98%. I went back to the overview & it shows me at 100% since I updated that C++ thing sometime in the last couple days.
I'd thought about starting a new thread to ask why it shows only 98% but thought maybe it was 'cuz I'd left PSI running over night & besides that, my rear end is getting calloused from spending waaay too much time in front of this machine the past cpl. days over my problems. ;-)

Soooo, as far as I'm concerned, it can be closed. I know that my score is 100% .

Thanx again guys, you've been great!! Thumbs up!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 21:40
Okeedokee......as long as you're sorted. The %age may rectify itself at the next reboot.
Good luck with everything....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+