Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 2.0.0.2001 hang when set to start at boot

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Lazissa1 PSI 2.0.0.2001 hang when set to start at boot
Member 5th Jan, 2011 18:54
Ranking: 3
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
All of my previous problems were fixed with build 2001. Thank you.

I went back through several of the tests that I had tried before. I found that PSI (the GUI) hangs when it opens if I have set PSI to start at boot (this isn't how I normally have it set but I know others will). The GUI is stuck at "Verifying Internet Connection". It's done this a couple of times.

I will see if I can gather more info.

Lazissa1 RE: PSI 2.0.0.2001 hang when set to start at boot
Member 5th Jan, 2011 19:37
Score: 3
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
I used a tool to look at psi.exe. The wait chain verified that there was a thread waiting on network I/O. I opened another tool to do a closer inspection but I couldn't find the thread with it. I'm a little confused now. I will try again when I get time. If you have an idea and want to e-mail some directions, that's fine.

Could this "Verifying Internet Connection" problem be with one of your servers? I keep noticing in your forum that the User IDs for people aren't always available. It will say that they have been deleted. Also, response time to your site is slow.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmacri RE: PSI 2.0.0.2001 hang when set to start at boot
Member 5th Jan, 2011 19:48
Score: 42
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2011 20:07
Hi Lazissa1:

I'm having the same problem with Build 2001 using my home dial-up connection. I accepted all the defaults during installation (including the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option). The Workstation service is currently disabled.

The problem seems to be that the interface (dashboard) won't display. The scan actually seems to run in the background if I start PSI from the All Programs menu (i.e., a balloon pops up over the PSI icon in the system tray after about 5 minutes reporting the scan results) but the dashboard displays as a blank window and the splash screen just sits at "Verifying Internet connection...".

I can't disable the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option in the configuration settings since I can't get interface to load properly, so I'll have to find a public WiFi connection and see if I can get things working there. I'll report back if I make any progress.

I've checked my Norton Internet Security 2011 history and my Windows Event Viewer and I can't see any errors there. I checked the Windows Task Manager and psi.exe and psi_tray.exe are in the list of processes, and the status of the Secunia PSI Agent (psia.exe) is Running in the list of services.

--
Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * IE 9 * FF v. 31.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 20:22
I was getting ready to reboot/reset back to my normal running setup when I took a quick look at the Service settings and found that the Seccunia Service was set at manual even though I had previously set PSI to start at boot in its settings. I started PSI again and the GUI came up this time. I went to settings. It was already set to start at boot. I closed the GUI and refreshed my Services screen. It then showed the Secunia Service as Automatic. I rebooted again and started PSI. It worked.

Maybe this had something to do with I had it set to not start at boot when I upgraded. I didn't uninstall the previous build before the upgrade. I let the new install remove it.

I don't know but somehow something got out of sync between the start at boot setting and the Secunia Service. I have other priorities right now. I'll try to play with it later.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 23:25
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2011 23:30
Hi Lazissa1:

I've confirmed that there's nothing I can do to get Build 2001 to work with my home dial-up connection.

However, I have better news about PSI Build 2001 when I use a fast (but insecure) WiFi connection. The interface dashboard will eventually display even when the Workstation service is disabled in Windows Services, but results are variable and it sometimes takes 4 to 6 minutes for the dashboard to load properly. The dashboard seems to load relatively quickly over WiFi if the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) is Automatic (i.e., if "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" is enabled) and the PSI tray (psi_tray.exe) is also loaded prior to launching psi.exe from the All Programs menu.

Please note that the Workstation service was disabled for all three tests described below.

A. Public (Insecure) WiFi with "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" Enabled

Success. Everything worked as expected, although the dashboard took about 1 or 2 minutes to load each time PSI was initially launched after re-boot. I confirmed that the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) was Automatic and started at boot-up and that both the psi.exe and psi_tray.exe processes started after PSI was launched from the All Programs menu.

B. Public (Insecure) WiFi with "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" Disabled

Success (sort of). It took 4 to 6 minutes for the dashboard to load each time PSI was initially launched after re-boot. I confirmed that the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) was Manual and did not start at boot-up after restarting my computer. The psi.exe and psi_tray.exe processes and Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) all eventually started after PSI was launched from the All Programs menu.

C. Secure Dial-up Connection

Failure, regardless of whether the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" is enabled or disabled. I left my computer alone for 20 minutes after PSI was launched from the All Programs menu during every test, but the dashboard always remained as a blank window and the splash screen just sat at "Verifying Internet connection...".

At this point I have no idea if PSI doesn't work on dial-up because the connection to the Secunia server times out, or if it's because the dial-up connection is more secure than a WiFi connection. Adding the C:\Program Files\Secunia folder (and all its subfolders) to the NIS 2011 exclusion lists didn't help. Setting the Workstation service to Automatic startup and re-booting didn't help with dial-up either.

Please note that I had no trouble getting PSI v. 1.5.0.2 to work over my dial-up connection even when "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" was disabled, even though it took the dashboard a minute or two to load.

--
Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * IE 9 * FF v. 31.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 01:35
I've done some more testing by changing the start on boot setting back and forth. I haven't had any more problems.

Not sure how the settings in PSI and Services (maybe something in the registry?) got out of sync. It could possibly go back to the testing that I did with the previous build. If so, I would have thought that installing the new build would have fixed it or the first time that I changed the setting in PSI. No telling at this point and there's not much I can do now.

Anyway, PSI seems to be working fine on my PC now. Thanks for your help Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 23:44
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 23:45
If anyone following this thread has a dial-up connection and is still having problems getting the PSI interface to load with PSI 2.0 Build 2001, please try the following:

1. Disable the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option in the configuration settings. You'll have to skip this step if you don't have access to WiFi and can't get the interface to load under any circumstances.
2. Re-boot computer
3. Start the dial-up Internet connection
4. If necessary, open Windows Services and manually start the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) (i.e., if the service is not running)
5. If necessary, start the psi_tray.exe manually from C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe (i.e., if the PSI icon is not displayed in the system tray)
6. Launch PSI from the Start Programs menu to start psi.exe.

If I follow the above steps with my home dial-up connection, the PSI interface will eventually load within a minute or so, and then I can go ahead and run a PSI scan.

Please report back if this works for you. I posted this suggestion in barret's thread at http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/716... and it sounds like these instructions worked with one PC that had a dial-up connection. Enabling (checking) the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option seems to cause problems for some people who use a slow Internet connection.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability