Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: verifying internet connection

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
barret verifying internet connection
Member 6th Jan, 2011 14:54
Ranking: 2
User Since: 6th Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
I updated to PSI 2.0 on two computers. One works fine. The other will open the initial page "verifying internet connection" and stay locked on that page. It won't go past this point, It doesn't give the waiting for data to load etc. or bring up the program. It does connect to the internet though because the Secunia logo displays on the system tray and eventually turns from red to green and if I scroll over the green logo it says the system is at 100%. Windows 7 home 32bit.

--
Gateway GM 5474 Media PC * Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
AMD Athlon(tm)64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00GHz * 4.0 GB Ram
IE 8 * Firefox 3.6.13 * MSE * PSI 2.0.0.2001 * NVIDIA GEForce GT220

This user no longer exists RE: verifying internet connection
Member 6th Jan, 2011 15:02
Hi,

Please refer to this item of our FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Install the latest build: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
And reboot your system.

Has this resolved the issue?

If walking through the above steps has not resolved the problem, then try this:
1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
Please ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

Has this resolved the issue?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
barret RE: verifying internet connection
Member 6th Jan, 2011 15:47
Score: 2
User Since: 6th Jan 2011
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 15:48
Thank you Emil. the first one has been done, twice last night with no results. I have not tried your second suggestion in the administrative tools section yet. I will try that this evening and post my results.

barret

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 17:34
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 17:35
I just checked and both the Secunia PSI Agent and Secunia Update Agent are showing Started and set to Automatic already.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: verifying internet connection
Member 7th Jan, 2011 10:16
Hi,

With all that configured, if you reboot your system, does the PSI still hang?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 13:51
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 13:53
I still was unable to get past the "verifying internet connection page" with the red dot stuck on the first square. I uninstalled 2.0 and reinstalled my old version I believe 1.5 and it works well. I then uninstalled the old version and reinstalled 2.0 and it still hangs on the first page. I the went to services again to check the status and PSI Update was not showing "started" I clicked on start from the services menu and got a pop up stating that the Secunia could not be started from a Local Internet or network and to verify the path. I am not quite sure oif where to go from here?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmacri RE: verifying internet connection
Member 7th Jan, 2011 18:00
Score: 42
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 18:18
Hi barret:

I have the same problem with PSI 2.0 (Build 2001) when I use a slow dial-up connection and it appears to have something to do with the order that PSI processes are loaded, depending on whether the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option in the PSI configuration settings is enabled or disabled.

Please try the following:

1. Re-boot computer
2. If necessary, start the Internet connection
3. If necessary, open Windows Services and manually start the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) (i.e., if the service is not running)
4. If necessary, start the psi_tray.exe manually from C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe (i.e., if the PSI icon is not displayed in the system tray)
5. Launch PSI from the Start Programs menu to start psi.exe.

If I follow the above steps with my home dial-up connection, the PSI interface will eventually load within a minute or so, and then I can go ahead and run a PSI scan.

If this solution also works for you, could you please let me know:

a) The type of Internet connection on your "problem" computer (i.e., dial-up vs. high speed)
b) Whether the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option is enabled in PSI
c) Whether the "Secure Browsing" option is enabled in PSI
d) Whether this computer has Norton Internet Security (NIS) or some other malware protection software that is unique to this computer

I never see the Secunia Update Agent (sua.exe) as a running process and it's not even listed as one of my services in Windows Services, but I assume this is because I have disabled the "Enable automatic program updates" option of PSI.

Please note that PSI starts correctly when I use my laptop with free public WiFi Internet connections. The psi_tray.exe icon loads in the system tray if the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option is enabled at boot-up, and if "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option is disabled I can still launch PSI from the Start Programs menu without a problem.

Also note that I never had a problem using PSI v. 1.5.0.2 with my dial-up connection. This is a new problem that started with PSI 2.0 Build 1003 and still occurs with Build 2001.

--
Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * IE 9 * FF v. 29.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 7th Jan, 2011 19:46
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 21:08
Imacri---Thank You. you have nailed it exactly. I have a slower than death internet connection on the problem computer versus DSL on my other computer. I will try your suggestions and it sounds like it will work. Even if it does I may decide to go back to 1.5 on the dial up setup.

Dial up is not a choice (I hate it) it is something I am stuck with at that location as even cell service is non existent and I refuse to go the satellite Internet route.

Again, Thank You for your response:

barret

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 21:16
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 21:42
Problem solved. I first uninstalled 2.0 using the Secunia uninstaller. I then removed the remaining folder in the C drive and rebooted. Downloaded and installed the newest version. I then followed Imacri's procedure to load the program. It still hangs for about two to three minutes but the Secunia main page does now eventually load. The system tray icon actually turned green and showed 100% before the Secunia page loaded.

Thanks Imacri for the information with this I was able to get to the settings menu. In the menu I removed the check from "Start Secunia on boot" The only two left checked are "Enable program monitoring" and Show detailed program changes". I closed the program and rebooted. On reboot the Secunia icon is on the tray. Now I connect to the Internet and go to start/programs and open Secunia. The program opens and immediately the red dots now move on the verifying internet connection bar and the main page opens in about 20 seconds.

Closing the page also closes the tray icon. I created a shortcut to the system tray.exe on the desktop. I click on it first to pen the tray and then open the program.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Jan, 2011 22:04
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 22:25
Hi barret:

I'm glad to hear my suggestion was helpful. Unfortunately, I've suffered another setback. Having the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option enabled is causing real problems with my dial-up connection.

I was testing PSI on WiFi this morning (no problems encountered) and left the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option enabled, and now there's nothing I can do to get the PSI interface to load again with dial-up.

With dial-up and PSI set for automatic startup at boot-up, I noticed that the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) had a startup type of Automatic in the Windows Services and the service was running as expected after boot-up. The psi_tray.exe process was also running and the icon displayed in the system tray. However, nothing I do will get the PSI interface to load correctly. I even tried changing the startup type of Secunia PSI Agent service to manual, re-booting, and starting the Secunia PSI Agent service manually, but that doesn't seem to work work if psia_tray.exe loads first.

Now I'm stuck because I can't load the interface to change the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option from enabled to disabled. I won't be able to do any more testing until I get back on WiFi and disable the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option.

Or maybe this is all a fluke and the only reason I got PSI to work with my dial-up Internet connection this morning with the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option disabled was because it was 6:00 AM and the Secunia server wasn't too busy.

This is getting very frustrating. I'm very close to giving up and rolling back to v. 1.5.0.2.

--
Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * IE 9 * FF v. 29.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 8th Jan, 2011 02:05
Last edited on 8th Jan, 2011 02:24
Hello Imacri,

Everything you state is exactly correct. I was experiencing all of the same symptoms. The trick is to disable start at boot like you did. I guess it can't be done through the settings menu if one can not get to it. I did some poking around. Try to disable it through the control panel / Administrative tools / System configuration / then the services or start up tab?

With dial up a roll back to 1.5 may just be the best thing to do. I am going to try it like this for a while and see what happens. possibly Secunia will release some type of patch or add an option during the install to disable it for dial up users.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 8th Jan, 2011 05:54
Hi barret:

Thanks, your suggestion worked. I changed the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) to Manual startup in Windows Services, used the Software Explorer in Windows Defender to disable the the Secunia PSI Tray (psi_tray.exe) from loading at startup, re-booted my PC, and then started each process manually in the order described in my earlier post (i.e., psia.exe, then psi_tray.exe, then psi.exe). I had to wait over 5 minutes on my dial-up connection but the PSI interface finally loaded and I was able to disable the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option in the PSI configuration.

I re-checked my processes after doing all this, and lo and behold, the Secunia PSI Tray had re-enabled itself to load at start-up and the Secunia PSI Agent service (psia.exe) was back to Automatic startup in Windows Services. I don't know if that happened when the PSI interface loaded (i.e., because the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option was still enabled at that point) but it meant that I had to go back and disable the Secunia PSI Agent and Secunia PSI Tray again as as described in the previous paragraph and then re-boot a second time to permanently stop these services from loading at re-boot. I'm beginning to wonder if my configuration changes in the PSI interface sometimes get out of synch with changes in my Windows registry.

Argh!! Goodbye version 2.0.0.2001, hello version 1.5.0.2.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability