Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Tray Icon stays red

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
abeloffv Tray Icon stays red
Member 13th Jan, 2011 14:37
Ranking: 7
User Since: 7th Sep, 2009
System Score: 100%
Please help me understand what is going on.

My laptop runs Secunia PSI v2 just fine when it is connected to the network at work. When I bring the laptop home, the tray icon stay red, does not give any indication of my system score, and PSI will not run a scan.

I uninstalled and re-installed multiple times at home on my laptop and was not able to scan or get the tray icon to turn green with v2. I'm not sure why the dashboard would not open either.

However, I removed v2 and installed v1.5.0.2 and was able to scan without any issues from my laptop while at home.

This morning before leaving home I updated to v2 once again. Same results, could not scan, tray icon red and not functioning, and no Secunia Update Agent service. Even after multiple restarts.

I did nothing else other than bring my laptop in to the office and using the same wireless card, I connected to the network at work.

The tray icon turned green, PSI did a successful background scan, and the Secunia Update Agent service is installed and active.

I emphasize, I did nothing in between other than power down the laptop, take it to work, and power it up.

At work I have to go through a proxy server for http requests. At home I do not. I have no connectivity problem at home. In fact, I can run PSI v1.5.0.2 without any troubles from home.

My home network gets internet access through a cable modem, my laptop gets on the home network with a wireless 802.11n connection.

I have an additional desktop and laptop at home, both are running PSI v2 without any problems.

--

Vic

Post "RE: Tray Icon stays red" has been selected as an answer.
3-northernpike RE: Tray Icon stays red
Member 13th Jan, 2011 17:09
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010

@abeloffv

Hi,

It sounds like you know alot more about computers than I do...I was wondering though, if maybe some kind of firewall rule/filter/setting might be disabling PSI 2 on your laptop? Different virus/firewall protection, network settings at work as opposed to home?

Regards,
SKD
Windows XP Pro sp3
IE8
Nortons 360 Premier

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Tray Icon stays red
Member 14th Jan, 2011 13:03
Hi,

Sounds like a strange issue.

Since you say you have a cable modem I will assume you have a broadband connection (ie. not dialup).

Do you disable the proxy settings in Internet Explorer when you go on your home network? Possibly having incorrect proxy settings could cause this.

Have you tried walking through this new (very recently updated!) item of our FAQ? http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abeloffv RE: Tray Icon stays red
Member 14th Jan, 2011 15:06
Score: 7
User Since: 7th Sep 2009
Yes, I have. I went through the FAQ when you posted the link in another thread. No help came from following the suggestions.

It is easy to remember to remove the proxy server setup when I take my laptop home; else I would have no internet access.

Also, if I start with my laptop at home running v2, and I uninstall v2 and install v1.5.0.2, then Secunia PSI works flawlessly.

And when I take the laptop to work v2 works flawlessly, the only change I make is in Control Panel_Internet Options where I enable the proxy server.

In a previous post in this thread I mentioned that when I installed v2 at home the Secunia Update Agent service did not show up under Services. When I got to work and started up the laptop that service was listed and running. I feel like that has something to do with what ever is going on.

Any thoughts on a next step?

Vic

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 09:57
Hi,

Is the PSI installed on a network drive, or another resource only available at your workplace?

If not, could I ask you to create a log for each location? To enable logging for the session in the PSI, enable it on the Settings tab under Configuration.
Please create 2 files, one for your workplace and one for your home network, and them too us at support@secunia.com along with a reference to this thread.
Please note that you should not post the log or parts of it here, as it contains sensitive information.

Are you unable to even open the PSI UI to enable logging from home? If so, try this procedure:

Open the command prompt by clicking Run > Start, entering "cmd" and pressing enter.
Then enter these commands sequentially in the command window that appeared:
1) cd C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI (C:\Program Files(x86)\ for 64-bit systems)
If you have installed the PSI in a non-default location, compensate by using the location you did install the PSI instead
2) psi.exe --verbose --debug secunialog.txt
this will generate a logfile called "secunialog.txt"

Let the PSI run for 5 minutes, even if it doesn't open, and then send us the logfile. We can then examine the problem in greater depth.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 18:17
Emil,

Thank you. I will collect and send. The laptop is home today and will be at work tomorrow.

PSI is installed on the local drive and I have no trouble starting it up at either location, so collecting the log through the configuration option will work just fine.

I'll send them sometime tomorrow.

Vic

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 01:20
@ E. Petersen

Hi,

Have been using Secunia PSI Tray Version 2.0.0.3001 with no problems until today. The same problem has cropped up with this version that I had with the previous versions namely, the tray icon is staying red. Everything else seems to be running fine...PSI opens, dashboard is there and current, Both files are in Administration>Services and are started and automatic.

Have generated a PSI File log as per your above instructions...Settings>Create File Log and sending it to the address indicated in your above response dated 18th Jan. at 9:57.

Hope the data contained in the file can help you...and us...out :-)

Best Regards,

SKD
Windows XP Pro
IE 8
Nortons 360 Premier

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Tray Icon stays red
Member 19th Jan, 2011 03:45
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 04:00
@3-northernpike

Just out of curiosity have you tried seeing whether anti-virus is either updating or running a scan during this period. I have this problem sort of until my anti-virus updates and when Secunia is running a scan. In my case however, it does go to green when these two items figure their processes.

abeloffv

Do you have a friend who can bring his lap-top over just to see that your wi-fi is putting out a good signal. When you switch from 2.0 at the office back to 1.5.0.2 are you doing a clean uninstall and re-booting. If so, don't, try down loading 2.0 amd make sure to use the installer without uninstalling 1.5.0.2. Have you updated your Wlan driver lately? Poss. workaround download Secunia file to flash while at work and then upload when you get home????

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
millwood RE: Tray Icon stays red
Member 19th Jan, 2011 04:00
Score: 2
User Since: 14th May 2008
I've been having a collection of issues. When I started the tray icon, it was red. When I opened the dashboard and then closed it, the tray icon went away. Software changes were not reported. Scan's did not complete in the background.

I have now checked start on boot in settings. Suddenly, PSI is working as it used to work. I have a green tray icon that persists. A scan is running. However, an update did not get reported. Maybe related to scan running?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 04:28
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 05:01
@puget1

Hi,

Tray icon has been a steady red for the last 4 hours. All updates and scans are done. Although Norton's does run continuously in the background, it has never diminished the functioning of any of my other programs.
Have purposely not run a PSI scan to see how long the tray icon would stay red...pretty sure it will turn green with a scan like it did with the previous versions...I might try that after a while just to see...dashboard appears current, up-to-date.
Appreciate your shared observations and input.

Regards,
SKD
Windows XP Pro
IE8
Nortons 360 Premier

Just tried to run a scan...not successful...had a scheduled scan for today at 22:48...scan status reads, "Scan has been running for", with no time indicated.
Needless to say, my tray icon did NOT turn green this time. This is a new issue for me...an inability to run a scan now...will check other threads since different from my other issue in this thread.

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 13:38
I have collected and sent log files to support@secunia.com.

For the laptop;
a) 01/18/2011 12:23 to 12:30 was at home with tray icon red
b) 01/19/2011 06:57 to 07:08 was at work with tray icon green

For second system at home
01/18/2011 13:31 to 13:40 was at home with tray icon green

Both systems are wireless at home and connected to the same network. The laptop is Windows 7 Ultimate x86, the other is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
donwms1803 RE: Tray Icon stays red
Member 19th Jan, 2011 21:46
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Dec 2010
On my Laptop, Secunia PSI works. My score is 100% and green. However, the Secunia PSI Tray is red and its popup tip no longer has the score, simply the words: Secunia PSI Tray.

Thanks,
Don
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Desuna RE: Tray Icon stays red
Member 20th Jan, 2011 04:08
Score: 2
User Since: 2nd Feb 2009
Thank you for your detailed list of adjustments to make. Prior to carry out your suggestions I did a new scan using PS2 and got a result of 100%, then when I closed the scan the tray icon changed to green.
I have today done a further scan and again all is OK.
I think my thread has been resolved
Many thanks to all who tried to assist me.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mogs RE: Tray Icon stays red
Expert Contributor 20th Jan, 2011 08:44
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@Desuna
I think you may have gotten a little confused; and have posted to a similarly entitled thread.
Your original post is here :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/730...
In future, you'll be able to find threads you've originated or replied to, simply by clicking on "My Threads"...in blue, on the left of the page.
Whenever you are an originator of a thread you have the option to close/lock it......you will see an additional Accept button aside the Reply.
Hope this clarifies matters for you.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Jan, 2011 09:22
Hi,

Are any of you using a transparent proxy, or a firewall/gateway or similar protection system?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jan, 2011 19:29
Hi Emil!

Don't know what a transparent proxy is, but I do have firewall protection in the Norton's 360 Premier software. Hope that's helpful to you.

By the by...per the thread, "Can't connect to https://psi.secunia.com", my tray icon has been green from the 20'th up until my initial bootup today, when I was again surprised by the no-change from red to green. Coincidentally, at the same time, also had issue with Norton's insisting I do a backup. Wound up turning off Norton's backup feature then turned to tray icon issue.

When I launched PSI, it opened normally...dashboard, everything appeared normal, was able to run a scan...scan revealed an insecure VLC program and enabled me to install a fix, back up to 100% score, and I thought, "OK, now I'm going to get a green tray icon."...waited and waited...finally rebooted, and now the tray icon is green once again. If I knew what the "puzzled" emoticon was, I'd place it here!!

Anyway, I like the new way PSI shows and helps us fix insecure programs...and the little tray icon, which seems to have a mind of its own...I think it's growing on me!! :-}

Regards,
SKD
Windows XP Pro sp3
IE 8
Norton's 360 Premier

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 27th Jan, 2011 13:12
For my situation, changing the Secunia PSI Agent service to run under my domain user profile; rather than as Local System, resolved the trouble.

Ended all Secunia services, quit the tray icon, changed the Logon property of the Secunia PSI Agent service; restarted the Secunia services.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+5

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability