Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
lmacri PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Member 16th Jan, 2011 18:05
Ranking: 42
User Since: 9th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 16th Jan, 2011 18:11

I am currently running PSI 1.5.0.2 on a Windows Vista machine. I tried PSI 2.0 (Builds 1003, 2001 and 3001) but had to revert back to v. 1.5.0.2 because the v. 2.x dashboard would not load when I launched PSI.

I have a question regarding the current software requirements for PSI posted at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... ,which states the following:

Software Requirements
The latest version of Microsoft Update. You can determine whether or not you are running the latest version by visiting update.microsoft.com. If you are able to check your system for missing updates through this tool, your system should function properly with the Secunia PSI.

When I try to run Microsoft Update from this site at http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6... I get the following error:
______

[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator for help with updates.

_____

Is the current software requirement for Microsoft Update relevant to users with Windows Vista or Win 7? I receive the same error on the old Windows Update site at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ , but the FAQ there clearly states that the Windows Update website requires Windows XP or Windows 2000/3000 and is not intended for newer versions of Windows.

Or is my inability to use the Microsoft Update website with Windows Vista a legitimate problem? I have Windows Update configured to never check for updates (I have a slow dial-up connection and run Windows Update manually) and this means that my Windows Update service does not automatically start at boot-up. I know that the Windows Workstation service bug was fixed in PSI 2.0 Build 2001, but I'm beginnig to wonder if the startup type of my Windows Update service (or some other Windows service) is the reason I couldn't get PSI 2.0 to load properly on my machine.

--
Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * IE 9 * FF v. 29.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003

ddmarshall RE: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Dedicated Contributor 16th Jan, 2011 19:19
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
If I go to update.microsoft.com with Internet Explorer on Vista, I get a web page telling me to use the Start Menu and the Windows Update GUI pops up. I get the same webpage with Firefox but it doesn't open Windows Update.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Expert Contributor 16th Jan, 2011 19:49
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 16th Jan, 2011 19:50
If I click on update.microsoft.com using Chrome on Vista, I get taken here :-
http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/t...
As with "dd".....am told to "Use your Start menu to check for updates ".....Click Start/All Programs/Windows Update......GUI doesn't appear.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
p_noot RE: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Member 16th Jan, 2011 20:31
Score: 8
User Since: 17th Nov 2010
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2011 01:44
I had a similar problem on a hp pavilion dv7 laptop. Windows Update would not work. It turned out to be a bug in hp software. I got very good help from hp to fix this hp Windows Update bug. I use Windows 7 64 bits, but maybe the bug also exists in other window versions with hp.

Solutions can be found. Google with the keywords:

microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0x8ddd0002
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmacri RE: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Member 17th Jan, 2011 15:42
Score: 42
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2011 15:44
Thanks to everyone for their valuable feedback. I seem to be the only one posting in this thread who sees a 0x8DDD0002 error on the Microsoft Update website.

Just to clarify, I am able to run PSI 1.5.0.2 without any problems on my Windows Vista machine, and Windows Update runs normally on my local machine (i.e., I do not receive a 0x8DDD0002 error when I run Windows Update from my Start menu). I only receive this 0x8DDD0002 error when I use the link to the Microsoft Update website that Secunia PSI has posted in their System Requirements at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I'm beginning to wonder if the error generated on the Microsoft Update website is somehow related to the fact that I can't run PSI 2.0 on my machine. I googled microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0x8ddd0002 and tried some of the suggested solutions but no joy. I'll post back if I find a solution.

--
Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * IE 9 * FF v. 29.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 02:50
At this point I understand:
1. It is not a hp software problem.
2. It is not a Windows Update problem.
3. The 0x8DDD0002 error only occurs when the link posted by Secunia PSI is clicked.

This sounds to me like conflicting hardware and/or software.

Maybe this helps finding a solution.

Google: techarena jeff mortis dnear1
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Member 18th Jan, 2011 09:20
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 09:26 Hi,

The requirement for Microsoft Update is relevant for users of every supported variant of Windows. By default, even Vista/Win7 systems come with Windows Update by default.

Due to the questions posed in this thread, we have ammended our system requirements page:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
To now read
(unknown source)

Software Requirements

Windows UpdateThe latest version of Microsoft Update. You can determine whether or not you are running the latest version by visiting update.microsoft.com with Microsoft Internet Explorer, while logged in as the Administrator. If you are able to check your system for missing updates through this tool, your system should function properly with the Secunia PSI.

If you access the Microsoft Update page with Internet Explorer, while logged in as the system administrator, are you still unable to install the Microsoft Update program? If so, I recommend you contact Microsoft Support for their input in this problem.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 16:52
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 16:53
Hi Emil:

My Windows Vista user account is a member of the Administrators group so I should have the required permissions.

I submitted a Windows Update support request yesterday using Microsoft Support's Online Assistance at http://support.microsoft.com/selectindex/default.a... (a terrific tool, by the way - I didn't even know it existed until yesterday). I'm waiting for a reply from MS tech support and will report back if they can provide a solution to my 0x8DDD0002 error on the Microsoft Update web site.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 03:26
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 03:27
It pleases me to see this thread is going very well. I hope we will soon hear from Microsoft too...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jan, 2011 21:21
Last edited on 22nd Jan, 2011 21:41
I have some progress to report, but I'm a bit perplexed by the results. I have PSI 2.0 working over my dial-up connection after resetting IE 8 but I'm still getting the 0x8DDD0002 error on the Microsoft Update website if I use IE 8 as my web browser.

Microsoft Support suggested that I reset my IE 8 browser back to its factory settings (Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Reset Internet Explorer Settings) to disable all my third-party add-ons and then run a Windows Update to download any missing updates or .DLL files (I didn't find any new IE 8 updates). This did not fix the 0x8DDD0002 error on the Microsoft Update website (www.update.microsoft.com) if I use IE 8 as my browser.

However, I installed Firefox 3.6.13 and discovered that the Microsoft Update website displays normally and directs me to run Windows Update from my Start menu if I use Firefox as my browser.

So I uninstalled PSI 1.5.0.2, re-installed PSI 2.0.0.3001 (for the third time) and I've been able to load the PSI dashboard and run scans successfully for the past two days. The scan runs painfully slow (it seems a bit faster since I've added my old end-of-life MS Office programs into the scan Ignore list) but at least I know now that PSI 2.0 can run over my slow dial-up connection.

Resetting Internet Explorer resets all the defaults in the Security, Privacy and Advanced tabs of the Internet connections (search for "reset Internet Explorer settings" in Windows Help and Support for more info) and will wipe out cookies, stored passwords and other personal information if you choose the "Delete personal settings" option when you run the reset (I did not select this option), so I wouldn't recommend this as a solution unless you're at you wits end. I've tried so many tweaks in the past two weeks that I'm not even 100% certain that this IE 8 reset is what actually got PSI 2.0 working on my system.

So I have a question for Secunia. Is it really a problem if Windows Vista and Win 7 users are unable to use the Microsoft Update website (www.update.microsoft.com) if they can successfully download and install updates by running Windows Update from the Start menu? I still think that the revised PSI system requirements posted at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... should only apply to Windows XP users. I don't want to waste too much time with MS Support trying to fix the 0x8DDD0002 error on the Microsoft Update web site when I use IE 8 as a web browser if the root cause of this error has nothing to do with the functionality of PSI 2.0.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jan, 2011 21:23
Don't worry, U can safely ignore the 0x8DDD0002 error U receive when using IE8.

Let me summarize this thread for U. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1. Windows Update runs fine from the Start menu. This proves U don't have a Windows Update bug or a hp software bug that causes a 0x8DDD0002 error.
2. Secunia revised the PSI system requirements in such a way, that the system requirements can't cause a 0x8DDD0002 error.
So, U can rule out a bug in Secunia PSI causing a 0x8DDD0002 error.
However, this doesn't prevent IE8 causing a 0x8DDD0002 error, if IE8 has a flaw that can cause such an error.

I think U proved IE8 has such a flaw, because only when U use IE8 the 0x8DDD0002 error occurs.

Well done Imacri, U have successful installed PSI 2.0 where others would resign.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 24th Jan, 2011 03:37
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2011 03:40
p_noot:

Sorry, but I still find the wording of the software requirements at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... to be misleading. As far as I can tell, the only edit Secunia made was to add the phrase "while logged in as Administrator".

Windows Vista and Win 7 users normally start Windows Update from their Start menu. If they visit the Microsoft Update site at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/ using IE (not Firefox) as their browser, the IE browser should open the Windows Update GUI automatically without any further intervention. If they use Firefox as their browser, they only see a screenshot of the Windows Start menu with instructions on how to manually launch Windows Update from the Start menu.

As far as I know, only Windows XP users still use the Microsoft Update site to download updates.

If the software requirements had said "If Windows Vista and Win 7 users are able to check their system for missing updates using the Windows Update tool on the Start menu (or from the Control Panel)", I wouldn't have wasted the past week trying to fix this 0x8DDD0002 error in my IE 8 browser.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2011 11:19
Hi,

Microsoft Update is required for the PSI to properly scan for patches. If you are running Windows update, problems could occur that Secunia cannot take responsibility for.

However, if you continuously monitor Windows Update, you should get all the same patches the PSI would notify you off anyway.

The dependency for Microsoft Update is to check for Microsoft Patches via. the PSI.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2011 17:23
Hi Emil:

Could you please clarify, just in case I'm confused about the distinction between Microsoft Update and Windows Update?

Are you saying that Secunia does not take responsibility for any missed Microsoft patches if PSI is installed on a Vista or Win 7 machine that normally delivers updates via Windows Update (i.e., from the Control Panel rather than from www.update.microsoft.com)? If that's true, then I understand why the Secunia software requirements specifically say "Microsoft Update" and exclude the any mention of Windows Update.

And for Vista and Win 7 users, is the way that PSI scans for Microsoft patches affected when the user enables/disables the "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows" option in the Windows Update settings?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2011 19:03
Hi,

Make the distinction between a design and a buildingbrick used to build according to a design.

An architect designs a house and builds the house, but after a year it collapses.
An investigation reveals:
1. The design is perfect.
2. Steel used in the construction of the house had a defect, causing the disaster.

The design of the system requirements is perfect. Unfortunately a buildingbrick, IE8, has a flaw.

The revised system requirements demands the use of the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser while logged in as Administrator. So the buildingbricks of the system requirements are now all from Microsoft. The browser is from Microsoft and the website is from Microsoft. This rules out potential conflicts between browser and website caused by non-Microsoft software.

So, if an error does occur, the problem can't be within the system requirements from Secunia PSI (= design), it can only be a flaw within
Microsoft (= buildingbrick). Therefore, Emil recommended to contact Microsoft in case of an error.

If you receive an error using IE8, it is not contradictory to the system requirements to try Firefox. According to the design, an error always points at a problem within Microsoft. Therefore, replacing Microsoft's IE8 by Firefox, can solve the error.

You discovered that the Microsoft Update website displays normally with
Firefox. This means, by using Firefox, you eliminated the cause of the 0x8DDD0002 error you received when trying to visit Microsoft Update. Microsoft Update is required for the PSI. So, by eliminating the error, you now can run PSI without problems.

It is not about trying to fix the 0x8DDD0002 error in your IE8 browser. It is about trying to fix the 0x8DDD0002 error when you try to visit Microsoft Update, so PSI can function normally.

You didn't waste your time. You invested your time in eliminating a flaw that blocked PSI from running fine on your machine. Now you can benefit from PSI without any restrictions, and stay safe on the internet while using a Windows OS.

I hope this helps to clarify the system requirements.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Handling Contributor 24th Jan, 2011 23:18
Score: 11626
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@Imacri

Frustrating for U.

Have U checked the files associated with this problem are actually in the System 32 Folder,up to date & registered?

If not U can check by navigating to C:\Windows\System 32 - these are individual files to look for:

Cdm.dll
Wuapi.dll
Wuauclt.exe
Wuaucpl.cpl
Wuaueng.dll
Wucltui.dll
Wups.dll
Wups2.dll
Wuweb.dll

For Vista they have a common date of 6 August 2009 & a common file version of 7.4.7600.226

Just right click on each file>properties>details

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 25th Jan, 2011 09:38
Hi,

To clarify. The system requirements are what the PSI needs, as a minimum, to run properly. Our requirements specify Microsoft Update over Windows Update, as this version supports more programs.

Microsoft Update is the de-facto successor to Windows- and Office Update.
This is the version we test with, and this is the version that the PSI depends on. With Windows Update you are not fullfilling the system requirements.

If you use Windows Update instead, problems can occur that are out of our hands - So if it still isn't working, I suggest you contact Microsoft Support.

This may be of some use: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Win...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jan, 2011 02:32
Last edited on 26th Jan, 2011 02:37
Imacri:

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1. PSI 2.0 works normally over your dial-up connection.
2. You are using the Windows Update tool from the Start menu.

My OS is Windows 7.
I use Firefox, PSI 2.0 works normally, and I can download updates using the Windows Update tool from the Start menu.

However, when I look closer at the Windows Update GUI, I read the following:
"You are receiving updates for Windows via Microsoft Update"

Hence, my so called Windows Update tool is in fact a Microsoft Update tool.

Could this be also the case on your machine? If so, if I'm not mistaken, your machine does satisfy the Secunia PSI system requirements.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jan, 2011 06:10
p_noot:

When I start the Windows GUI, it says "You receive updates for Windows only" and just below that a message that says "Get updates for other Microsoft products" with a link that says "Find out more".

If I click the "Find out more" link, it launches my Internet Explorer browser and automatically opens the Microsoft Update website at www.update.microsoft.com. When I click the Start button I get the 0x8DDD0002 error and I throw a DistributedCOM error (EventID 10016) stating that I do not have Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}, which I discovered is the Windows Update Agent . I have confirmed that the Windows Update service (wuauserv) starts automatically at boot-up.

I am sure that this is not normal behavior. My Windows GUI used to says "You receive updates for :Windows and other Microsoft Products" and if I went into the Windows Update settings there used to be a check box saying "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows" that I could enable or disable. I can no longer view that check box in my Windows Update settings.

This is the response I received from MS Support by e-mail:

Lori, I would like to explain that Windows Vista system does not use the Windows Update website to update Windows. Therefore, please do not use Internet Explorer 8 to open the Windows Update site. The site cannot be accessed. We should use the build-in Windows Update Application to update Windows. ("Start" -> "All Programs" -> "Windows Update") Thanks for your understanding.

I understand you have run Windows Update in Start and found no updates. It means all the updates for your system have been installed. Next time, please do not use the Internet Explorer to access the Windows Update site.

And the PSI interface 2.0 is back to getting stuck at "Verifying Internet connection".

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Jan, 2011 09:19
Hi,

Please go too Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Then please stop both the Intelligent Transfer Service Automatic Updates Service, and wait for 5 minutes. Then, set both too Automatic and Started. Restarting these services should rebuild your "SoftwareDistribution" folder, and corruption in this folder might be what is causing the problem.

But at this point, it is relatively clear that the issue is with your operating system installation, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 04:25
We all agree, it must be the operating system.

Any positive results with Maurice or Emil's advice?

Did you verify the integrity of the core system files?

http://www.winvistatips.com/repair-corrupt-vista-f...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 13:49
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2011 13:51
I had already tried rebuilding the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder as instructed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698 and this didn't solve the problem. I also tried running a scannow with the sfc.exe (System File Checker) two weeks ago and it didn't detect any problems. I re-installed the Windows Update software yesterday to ensure I have all the latest .DLLs. I have not attempted to re-register any of my .DLLs yet as I am waiting for Microsoft Support to let me know if they are willing to provide further assistance.

I'm not a computer expert, but I'm beginnning to believe that this has something to do with my Internet connection or firewall settings, since my Windows Update software is still able to detect and download updates for my Windows OS software, but is unable to download updates for other Microsoft products (e.g., Microsoft Works) that are handled by Microsoft Update.

I've been looking through the settings of my Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2011 Smart Firewall, and I noticed that my Firewall history reports that I'm connected to a protected network 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 on network adapter "Software Loopback Interface 1" (IP address 27.0.0.1) every time I boot up my PC. If I click on the details, NIS reports that my computer is protected from the local network, and asks me if I want to trust or restrict this network. If I open the hosts file in Notebook (located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) it has the following 2 entries:

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

I don't recall seeing this local network on my computer before I installed PSI 2.0 back on 23-Dec-2010, but I also was tweaking all sorts of Windows services (e.g., changing my Workstation and Server service from Disabled to Automatic) when I was trying to troubleshoot some of the bugs in the old PSI 2.0 Build 1003.

Is it possible that an old version of PSI 2.0 (or some other software) added this static address, or that something happened when I reset my Internet connection that's recently caused this local network to prevent my computer from downloading updates from the Microsoft Update site?

For all I know, this static address could even be required for connecting to the Norton LiveUpdate server or the POP3/SMTP servers for Windows Live at live.com.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 14:54
Me again. I think there's something I need to clarify.

My Windows Update/Microsoft Update was working fine and was delivering updates for Windows and other optional Microsoft products right up until the time I installed PSI 2.0 Build 1003 in late December 2010. I've updateded to Build 3001 since then, but since I first installed PSI 2.0 I've been tweaking my Windows services and changing settings in my Internet connection (many of them recommended in this forum) to try and get the PSI 2.0 dashboard to display at launch.

I currently have all the Windows services I was tweaking set to their Windows Vista SP2 defaults (as per www.blackviper.com) but prior to installing PSI 2.0 some were set to a bare minimum (i.e., Disabled or Manual startup) in order to maximize my computer's security. I had no problem running my Windows/Microsoft updates or using PSI 1.5.0.2 with these minimal Windows services prior to upgrading to PSI 2.0.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 15:45
Hi,

I have yet to come up with a new possible solution, but I feel this should be added.

127.0.0.1 is your 'loopback' adress in IPv4, and ::1 is your loopback in IPv6. Loopback means the address that refers to your own system. So for every computer, 127.0.0.1 for v4 and ::1 for v6 refers to itself. :)

We'll get back too you as if we find other possible solutions, but at this point it would probably be more frutiful for you to take it up with Microsoft Support.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: PSI Software Requirement for Microsoft Update
Dedicated Contributor 27th Jan, 2011 19:20
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Your Hosts file is the Vista default, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

I may have missed it in an earlier post, but have you tried this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 ?

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Jan, 2011 21:35
Emil/ddmarshall:

Thanks for the info on the Hosts file. I was worried that I had some old static IP address for the Microsoft Update server in my Hosts file that wasn't resolving correctly.

I actually stumbled on that second link with instructions for resetting the Windows Update configuration yesterday. I ran the Microsoft FixIt tool on that web page in Default mode but that didn't have any effect. I'm going to try a few tests with my NIS Smart Firewall first, and if Microsoft Support can't come up with a better solution then I'll try the FixIt tool in Advanced mode and see if re-registering all the .DLLs works. That would certainly be much faster than registering each .DLL manually from the command prompt.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jan, 2011 23:38
Imacri:

On 22nd Jan progress was made. PSI 2.0 worked normally over your dial-up connection. The 0x8DDD0002 error was solved by replacing IE8 with Firefox.

However, after that day suddenly:
- A checkbox disappeared from the Windows Update settings.
- The 0x8DDD0002 error pops up again.
- PSI 2.0 got stuck again.

What went wrong?
My first thought was corrupt core system files. But that is impossible because you ran the System File Checker.

When you fix a broken system, without knowing what broke it, it will most likely break again, and again, and again... Before you know it, you will find yourself lost in a never ending loop of eternal tweaks, without ever reaching your primary objective, a sound and smooth running system.

I fear, having read this thread, you are at the moment in such a loop. If this is true, I think you should consider a reinstall of your OS in order to break out of that loop.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 30th Jan, 2011 22:36
Thanks to everyone for posting suggestions on how to fix my problem with Windows Update not delivering optional updates for Microsoft products, but I'm already working with Microsoft Support and my case has been elevated to a senior MS tech support person. I don't expect anyone in this forum to solve a problem with my Windows OS. Windows Update was delivering these optional updates (e.g., for MS Works, MS Silverlight, etc.) right up until the time I started tweaking my system to try to get the PSI 2.0 interface to load over my home dial-up connection, and I'm not in panic mode yet since since Windows Update is still delivering security patches for my Windows OS.

I have no problems running PSI v. 1.5.0.2 on my computer, but I noticed that PSI v. 2.0.3001 reported my CyberLink DVD Suite 5.5. software (i.e., PowerStarter.exe) as end-of-life, which a scan with PSI v. 1.5.0.2 did not detect. Does anyone know if Secunia has already stopped supporting PSI v. 1.5, or is this just an anomaly for this one particular CyberLink program?

I suppose the question I asked in my original post of January 16, 2011 was answered by Emil Petersen in his January 25 reply. If I understand him correctly, PSI will not detect missing patches for some Microsoft products if Windows Update is not functioning normally. That's a huge surprise to me, since I had always assumed that PSI was similar to another security scanner I've tested that uses a cloud-based technology to scan for security patches and only requires the Server service and the .NET framework to be running on my local computer. I had always assumed that any required Microsoft security patches missed by Windows Update would be detected by PSI.

I'm going to close this thread and mark Emil's January 25th post as the accepted solution if Microsoft Support can't suggest a quick fix for my Microsoft Update problem, so please post any comments you'd like to make in the next few days. At this point I think the problem I was having loading the PSI 2.0 interface over my dial-up connection was completely random and simply depended on how much traffic there was on my ISP's routers.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jan, 2011 18:44
Now you have secured adequate support from Microsoft, there is no need to reinstall your OS in an attempt to identify/eliminate the unknown Microsoft bug yourself that broke your OS.

Be aware of undetectable vulnerabilities as a result of the unknown Microsoft bug.
Perhaps you can install the free Microsoft software EMET for extra safety?

Have you heard the news today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12325139

The new found bug looks very similar to the IE8 bug described in this thread. It only appears when you click on a link. Could it be the same bug?

Good luck and thanks for this thread

Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability