Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Security Essentials & PSISetup.exe

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Jersey_Devil Microsoft Security Essentials & PSISetup.exe
Member 18th Jan, 2011 02:40
Ranking: 9
User Since: 29th Apr, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 02:50

Off to a less than auspicious start here. DL'd v2.0 and ran setup as Admin. During install MSSE sample submission dialog box popped up asking me to send for submission PSISetup.exe as it "may not have yet been classified for risk." All I can say to that is........

HUH???

I have both FF 3.6.13 & M$$E configured to scan downloads automatically & I get a prompt from M$$E AT THE CONCLUSION of the Installation after it (allegedly) scanned the file during the d/l?

Again I say HUH???

I selected "cancel" finished the install and ran the initial PSI scan AFTER running manual scans w/ M$$E & MBAM on the setup.exe...Both clean. How can M$$E tell me the said file "may not have been classified for risk" & then 15 seconds later tell me "No threats have been detected...during this scan" on the SAME file it told me 15 seconds earlier may not have yet been classified for risk and supposedly scanned 30 seconds prior to that during the d/l???

Sorry for the redundancy , but HUH??? sez I again.

If that were the end of the "problem" I may not have even posted this here. The issue I have with PSI is that the scan took 3 mins 30 sec...more than DOUBLE the average scan time w/v 1.5 took.

Any insight to either issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe AKA Devil

Screengrabs

M$$E Submission req:
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug...
M$$E scan of setup.exe
PSI Scan:

--
Gateway NV59C
Win 7 HP SP1 x64, XP Home SP3
FFox latest Ex-PLODE-r 11
PSI v2 MVPS Hosts
Avast 9 FREE

Post "RE: Microsoft Security Essentials & PSISetup.exe" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: Microsoft Security Essentials & PSISetup.exe
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 09:17
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Maybe some help with one prob.....have you checked Configurations/Settings/Drives to see which ones it's scanning ? Scan time doesn't seem too outlandish....anywhere from about 2mins50sec to 3mins30sec has been usual for me.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jersey_Devil RE: Microsoft Security Essentials & PSISetup.exe
Member 18th Jan, 2011 09:47
Score: 9
User Since: 29th Apr 2010
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 09:52
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Upon further review, "double" was not an accurate description of the scan time vs ver1.5.0.2 scan time. The scan w/ ver2.0 was actually about 50% longer...average scan with the "old" version was about 2 min-2 min 15. My brain turned to mush temporarily and calculated 50% longer= double (50% x 2=100%...LOL).

Having said that, 50% longer seems high, nonetheless. Could this be due to the fact that it was the initial scan after first install, or as you wrote, is this the norm for my specs? Or is the longer scan time a residual effect of the increased functionality of ver 2.0?

The other issue I have taken up with M$$E...I uploaded the file to them and received a robo-reply that the file was clean, and I am clinging to the (slim) hope that someone (a REAL human being) will address the events I described in my OP and supply an adequate explanation, not gonna hold my breath though LOL.

I'll await a reply to the question posed above before accepting and locking.

Thanks again,
Joe AKA JerseyDevil

Edit to add: Sorry, forgot to address your ques---will check config when I return home (Posting on my Dell XP lap)

--
Gateway NV59C
PSI v2 MVPS Hosts
Avast 9 FREE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Microsoft Security Essentials & PSISetup.exe
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 09:58
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
In my experience, generally, the initial scan with a different version/upgrade has usually been quicker. It's probably best to observe it over a longer period tho'...a week or two perhaps.....mine seems to have settled into somewhat of a routine...not having downloaded/uninstalled very much really, and the consistancy reflects itself in recent scan times.
Hope you find some help/resolution/insight with your other issues.......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jersey_Devil RE: Microsoft Security Essentials & PSISetup.exe
Member 18th Jan, 2011 10:04
Score: 9
User Since: 29th Apr 2010
I will run a few scans & see if it finds a "routine" as you say.

Accepting & Locking.

Joe AKA JerseyDevil

--
Gateway NV59C
PSI v2 MVPS Hosts
Avast 9 FREE
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+