xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Acrobat 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
highstream Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Member 3rd Dec, 2008 01:51
Ranking: 6
User Since: 19th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 3rd Dec, 2008 08:58

This has been raised as part of other threads, but let's have one directly. Why is the current version of Adobe Acrobat.exe, updated and update-checked a number of times on this version, showing as insecure? Under RC4 that file was fine; as soon as 1.0 was installed, it turned insecure. I'm referring now to Adobe Acrobat Professional, v. 8.1.3, while PSI is showing 8.1.2.215 and the exact same file location.

Update: On the fourth or fifth installation of Acrobat Pro 8.1.3 (I forget which) it finally took with PSI. Talk about a fickle application!

IreneLinda RE: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Member 18th Dec, 2009 02:01
Score: 3
User Since: 19th Apr 2009
System Score: 93%
I have the same question. When I tried, twice, to install the recommended patch, I kept getting a window that says "windows installer can't find 8.x version" and I have that version on the computer cause I've just downloaded it! Any suggestions? I'm not particularly technical.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Secunia Official 18th Dec, 2009 09:52
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

Try to use the built in update tool in Adobe Reader to download the patches.

The current version is 8.1.7 (as of 18. Dec. 2009)

Before patch 8.1.7 can be installed you need Adobe Reader 8.1.6, and 8.1.6 can't be installed before you have 8.1.5...etc.

Member 18th Dec, 2009 15:06
Thanks for the reply. I will try updating through the Reader, noting what you said about having all the earlier updates in place (I think I do, but will check!).

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2009 16:33
Hi again,

Well, your update via the Reader strategy worked just fine! Thanks again.

Question: Any idea how I can get rid of the final 2 level 4 threats PSI keeps telling me I still have after scanning? It says Adobe Shockwave 10.x is insecure, but it is completely patched according to the Adobe site. It also advises me about PowerPoint Viewer 2007 being insecure, but I can find no patch for it in Windows Update. If this is not the correct forum to ask these questions, please let me know where I can post them.

Sure appreciate the help you're offering!

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0
genegold99 RE: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Member 18th Dec, 2009 18:14
Score: 5
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
The key to figuring out problems like this is to identify the file at issue. Click on the + by the application in PSI and look at the file path. Sometimes updates don't get everywhere one would expect or hope for, and it's necessary to copy the latest version from one location on your computer to another. This is common with Adobe products, such as Shockwave. Other times, it's a matter of a file copy in a backup location or drive, in which case you'll need to decide whether to copy it over, do a backup or just delete that backup entirely (something I do a lot).

As I recall, PowerPointViewer update was part of a service pack. But a good way to start with questions like this is to do a google search on the file name. Often times, the file you want is available for direct downloading from the original or some other site. Another avenue is to ask at an approrpiate newsgroup (chat groups), in this case a microsoft office or powerpoint group. If you're not familiar with newsgroups via your email client (assuming your ISP makes them available), go to Google Groups and type in "microsoft.public.powerpoint". There happens to be a newsgroup of that name. To post, you will have to register with google, if you haven't already.

Btw, as the OP of this thread, I'd suggest for next time when your problem is so far removed chronologically from the original post and its specific problem - and yours is a very different one, even if the application is the same - it's best to start a new thread rather than piggyback.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Member 18th Dec, 2009 18:24
on 18th Dec, 2009 16:33, IreneLinda wrote:
Hi again,

Well, your update via the Reader strategy worked just fine! Thanks again.

Question: Any idea how I can get rid of the final 2 level 4 threats PSI keeps telling me I still have after scanning? It says Adobe Shockwave 10.x is insecure, but it is completely patched according to the Adobe site. It also advises me about PowerPoint Viewer 2007 being insecure, but I can find no patch for it in Windows Update. If this is not the correct forum to ask these questions, please let me know where I can post them.

Sure appreciate the help you're offering!

Linda

My Shockwave version is 11.5.2.602.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Expert Contributor 18th Dec, 2009 19:21
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2009 19:23
Hello Linda ,

There are several threads and solutions for your Powerpoint problem ; here is one :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/319...

If this does not help look for Maurice Joyce's advice on a differernt thread , like here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/205...

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Expert Contributor 18th Dec, 2009 19:37
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Linda ,

Some web programmes (games ,etc.) still use Shockwave version 10 ; this thread explains it a little :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/276...

So while version 10 is out of date some programmas "need" it and will "ask" to load it !!

The latest version is 11.5.2.602 .

Hope that helps.

Anthony.

PS: you will get a better response and save time by searching the threads or creating a new one.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2009 20:13
Wow! You guys are great. Thanks first for the advice re. starting a new thread and I apologize for not doing that originally. With the explanations, suggestions and links all of you provided, I have a lot of things to try as well as much more knowledge on how to address such issues in the future!

I'll work through the various options outlined and post back my results.

Oh, should my results post be here to close it off or should I start a new thread and reference what we've been working on in a new title?

Again, many thanks for your insights and your time!

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0
genegold99 RE: Why is the current Adobe Acrobat 8 listed as insecure?
Member 18th Dec, 2009 20:24
Score: 5
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
If things work out as expected, probably no need to post again, since you've already thanked us. OTOH, if there's something new to add re Adobe Shockwave, either a question or special find that others might be interested in, it can go here or in another existing thread that's relevant. With PPV, anything new should go to that thread.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2009 20:55
Got it - and thanks!

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+