Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Constant HDD access

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
SMStallings Constant HDD access
Member 30th Jan, 2011 06:44
Ranking: 1
User Since: 12th Jun, 2008
System Score: 100%
I've cleaned up an old laptop with Windows XP SP3 and installed PSI. Now disc access occurs repeatedly about every second. I have twice left the computer running overnight and the disc access still continued. As soon as I end the PSI task, the access stops. Does anybody have an explanation or solution for this problem? Thanks.

mogs RE: Constant HDD access
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2011 07:41
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
Havn't seen the problem reported before in the nearly 2yrs on the forum. Found the following link which may be of some help :-
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/win-xp...
Have you tried running CHKDSK recently...to verify indexes....ensure consistancy of the disc etcetera ? Some people recommend turning off Indexing, tho' personally, I think that's a bit of no no.
Hope the foregoing is of some use/info..........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SMStallings RE: Constant HDD access
Member 30th Jan, 2011 07:49
Score: 1
User Since: 12th Jun 2008
Thanks for the quick response. I had already turned off indexing and disabled scheduled tasks. I'm running chkdsk now and will post the results. When I stopped the PSI task and the thrashing stopped, that surprised and stomped me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jan, 2011 08:57
ChkDsk did not find any problems. The disc access starts before login. Task Manager does not show any other unusual activity, only System Idle Process and Task Manager show ongoing activity. And, once again, the disc activity stopped as soon as I ended the PSI task. My suspicion is that PSI is looking for an Windows OS component that is missing. I'm finished for tonight. Tomorrow I think I'll do some process and file probing with SysInternals' Process Monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Constant HDD access
Member 31st Jan, 2011 14:54
Hi,

Try reinstalling the PSI:
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Has this reduced disk usage?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2011 01:56
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2011 01:57
Before receiving the preceding suggestion, I ran Microsoft's System File Checker (SFC) and it restored some files. However, that didn't fix the problem. I reinstalled PSI and the problem was then resolved. I don't know if reinstalling PSI alone fixed the problem or if it was the combination of the SFC and re-installation. Thanks for the assistance.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+