Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Incorrect version shown

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
osvetimany Incorrect version shown
Member 1st Feb, 2011 07:51
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Feb, 2011
System Score: N/A
PSI advises a version noted and recommends an update ,but when checked in properties it is already more update version. Why does this happen and without an unnecesary down load it will keep showing the wrong version .
There is no way I can see to tell PIS they are wrong. Any advice on that ? Michael

mogs RE: Incorrect version shown
Expert Contributor 1st Feb, 2011 08:05
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
You need to give more detailed information for someone to be able to help you. What is your Operating System....version of psi in use ? What program/version is giving you difficulty ?
It is very often the case that an older/previous version of a program gets left behind after updating....psi continues to detect/report it.

Finding the file path.

psi versions 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2

Use the Advanced interface...or switch to it ( Simple/ Advanced..top right of psi panel ).

1/. Click on the + sign alongside the programme to expand it.
2/. Click again on Tech Details in the Toolbox to confirm the installation path of the detected file/prog. 3/.Post the Installation Path back to the forum if you are uncertain how best to proceed.

psi version 2.0

Go to Results from the Dashboard

1/. Click on the + sign alongside the file.
2/. This will reveal the file path.
3/. Post the info back to the forum if uncertain how best to proceed.

Hope the aforementioned helps........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wileewas RE: Incorrect version shown
Member 1st Feb, 2011 22:45
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Nov 2008
I am having a similar problem. PSI is showing Firefox as "end of life," and shows current version as 3.0.10, while the actual version installed is 3.6.13, and has been for some weeks.

I am setup for PSI automatic updates. The scan results show that automatic updates are enabled for Firefox, (I assume because it has always been set up through Mozilla), and it shows that it is waiting for an update. When I click on "Help, About" in Firefox, it shows version 3.6.13, which is the latest version.

I am running XP Pro, SP3.

ww
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2011 22:45
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2011 22:49
I am running PSI 2.0. If any additional information is needed, please advise.

Thanks,

ww
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2011 23:28
Mogs,

I should have read your reply to the first question more carefully. My bad!

I have an HP (Compaq) computer that came with an old Firefox-HP virtual browser edition. It shows up in PSI as version 3.0.10, but still shows up in Revo Uninstaller as 2.0.0.15. I have been attempting to get rid of it just about the entire time that I have had the computer (about 2 years), and it always seems to come back. When I tried Revo on it again today, it returned the error message "Running the application's uninstaller failed! Possible invalid uninstall command!"

After re-reading your previous post I looked at the file path and navigated to the folder, but am still not positive what I need to do once I get there. I am seeing 11 subfolders and more than 70 files listed. Should I just delete the entire Virtual Firefox folder? Is there a chance of this having any adverse effects on the Firefox that I am actually using?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have no evidence that this is actually hurting anything, but it is a nuisance I would really like to get rid of.

Thanks,
ww
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Incorrect version shown
Member 2nd Feb, 2011 10:57
Hi,

Could I ask you to post the troubleshoot report for this program?
You can find instructions for this at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Feb, 2011 20:53
I can bring up the Troubleshooting Report, but for some reason I can't copy and paste it. When I right click on it, nothing happens. Looks like I will need to type it in.

---START---

Program Name:
Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x

Security State:
End-Of-Life

Download Link:
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.1...

Instances Found:
C:\Program Files\Hewlet-Packard\Firefox - HP Virtual Browser Edition\fslrdr\
1\[_B_]PROGRAMFILES[_e_]\Virtual Firefox\firefox.exe, version: 3.0.10

Last System Scan (localtime):
1. Feb 2011, 15:16

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

---END---

A curious thing to me, is that I have Firefox 3.6.13 in my Mozilla folder, and I use it all the time, yet it is not detected (or at least not listed in scan results) by Secunia PSI at all. Go figure! That makes me wonder if I couldn't just delete the whole HP Virtual Firefox folder and never miss it. Of course I wouldn't want to lose my bookmarks, preferences, passwords and so forth as a result, but since the two instances of Firefox are in two completely different folders, would that even be a problem?

Thanks,
ww

Was this reply relevant?
+0
osvetimany RE: Incorrect version shown
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 02:49
User Since: 1st Feb 2011
PSI was showing PP viewer 2003 version despite 2007 was installed.
Solution ? Burrow into Win 7 and delete any reference to 2003 version . Thank you all who responded. Michael
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Incorrect version shown
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 08:53
Hi,

Assuming that the firefox you want to keep is located in %Program Files%\Mozilla\Firefox, then removing
C:\Program Files\Hewlet-Packard\Firefox - HP Virtual Browser Edition\fslrdr\
1\[_B_]PROGRAMFILES[_e_]\Virtual Firefox\firefox.exe should, theoretically, not have any impact on your other installation, though removing anything happens at your own risk. For that reason, it would probably be better to move the application to trash first to see if it still works, so you have a chance to restore the file in case of any problems.

As for the version in Program Files that isn't being detected. Do you have any ignore rules specified? If not, could I ask you to submit a software suggestion for firefox.exe for that installation, and put "Attn: Emil[0]" in the comment field?

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 18:47
Mr. Peterson,

Thank you very much for your willingness to help. I found a listing for the HP Virtual Browser that I had overlooked in Programs in the start menu. The program was no longer listed, but an uninstall listing was still there, so I tried it. That pretty much cleared out the HP Virtual Browser folder, and the program is no longer showing up in the PSI.

Also, I did locate the good copy of Firefox that I have actually been using. It was just much further down in the list in PSI, and showed the correct version number and said it was up to date. I just hadn't looked hard enough for it. As my dad used to say, I guess "I hollered before I was hurt!"

Thanks again,
ww

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer