Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia Updates to Java 1.6 Update 22

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sun Microsystems
And, this specific program:
Java 2 Platform Enterprise Edition (J2EE) SDK 1.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
grumblingtummy Secunia Updates to Java 1.6 Update 22
Member 1st Feb, 2011 15:01
Ranking: 2
User Since: 16th Nov, 2010
System Score: 99%
Secunia is currently pointing to the Java 1.6 Update 22 installer but the current version is Update 23. Doesn't really make sense to update to an older versions when there is a newer release.

Thanks.

Regards

John

--
Regards

John

mogs RE: Secunia Updates to Java 1.6 Update 22
Expert Contributor 1st Feb, 2011 16:10
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Updates relative to security aspects are what it is all about....Secunia is not a general updater, but a vulnerability checker. Java update 23 won't improve your security regarding. ....if it were to do so; psi would be recommending it. Hope that clarifies it for you. There is nothing to stop you updating to 23 if you wish.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
grumblingtummy RE: Secunia Updates to Java 1.6 Update 22
Member 1st Feb, 2011 16:34
Score: 2
User Since: 16th Nov 2010
Thank you for the clarification.

I certainly understand Secunia is a vulnerability scanner, I'm just asking if it wouldn't be better to update to the very latest version instead of the next version that is deemed safe. Secuna doesn't need to update older safe versions but would it not make more sense to have it update insecure versions to the most up to date secure version? That is the big question I'm really asking here.

--
Regards

John
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mogs RE: Secunia Updates to Java 1.6 Update 22
Expert Contributor 1st Feb, 2011 16:57
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
I've really no idea of the practicalities involved in doing what you propose....presumeably it's a matter of optimizing staff available and resources....for the sake of bug fixes and cosmetic enhancements and differentiating etcetera; it might tie up quite a lot, for the provision of a free PSI.....I am very happy with the level of attention/integrity and security provided....perhaps even a little defensive myself of the facility afforded !!
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia Updates to Java 1.6 Update 22
Member 2nd Feb, 2011 10:46
Last edited on 2nd Feb, 2011 10:47 Hi,

As the PSI and CSI are vulnerability scanners, we do not update your program to the latest version simply because it is available, but only if the offered version fixes a security hole.

An updating procedure can be quite complex, which is why we always aim 'merely' for the latest secure version. We then leave it up to free users and customers to decide for themselves if they want to install cosmetic/bugfix updates. If you would like a general updater to complement the PSI, perhaps you can ask the forum for suggestions - I am sure they will have some options for you, though this is all I can say.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
grumblingtummy RE: Secunia Updates to Java 1.6 Update 22
Member 2nd Feb, 2011 11:42
Score: 2
User Since: 16th Nov 2010
Thank you everyone for the replies.

--
Regards

John
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+