Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Firefox vs. Internet Explorer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
vweseloh Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 00:31
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
When I go to "fix" any errors that Secunia finds, it opens Firefox, but Firefox is NOT my default browser. How can I change this so I.E. opens up, not Firefox? Thank you.

Maurice Joyce RE: Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Handling Contributor 3rd Feb, 2011 00:36
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
How confident are U using the registry?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Expert Contributor 3rd Feb, 2011 00:37
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Please read thro' notes 8 and 9 of the FAQ's here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Hope it helps.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
vweseloh RE: Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 03:58
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Sep 2009
Hi there mogs,
I just read your suggestion. I followed through on #9 and discovered that indeed the registry says that Firefox is my default browser.

My question to you, then, is do I just go into that "command" and type in the exact command for Internet Explorer as stated under #9.

Obviously, I do not want to "break my system"! Thank you for your next reply/suggestion for me. Now I think I know why the update for Microsoft did not work.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 04:00
Normally, I would not mess with the register. However, mogs did point me to #8 and #9 in FAQ. I did check the registry out and discovered that, indeed, Firefox is set as my default browser even though it is not right now.

I did ask mogs if I should just go to that "command" window and type in the command for I.E. to be my default . . .I want to be absolutely sure that I do the right thing; I certainly do not want to break my system!

Thanks for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 08:40
Hi,

While the registry value for IE in our FAQ item does work on most of our test-systems, the values listed are provided only as an example, and are as such not supported by Secunia.

If you want to change your registry, be sure that the value points to a browser actually installed on your system.

However, as long as you are careful to only edit the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\command registry key, there is little risk of your system, for example, becoming unbootable (though applications will be unable to open your default browser if this value is not set correctly), or of any non-browser related problems occuring. That's as specific as I can be.

If you still feel unsure about editing the registry, you can either ask a tech-savvy friend for help, or try to ask your questions of our community.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 17:06
Dear Emil,
I really appreciate your reply to my situation. I do have Internet Explorer 8, Chrome, and Firefox all installed on my hp laptop with Windows 7. I am still hesitant to make the change in the registry, although for sure I would only be modifying the "command" key.

I am assuming that if I choose to do this, I would simply type the following:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE - no home

Does that look correct to you, according to Step #9 in FAQ? I do have a grandson who is very computer savvy. Maybe I should ask his help with this?

OR maybe it's not a big deal if Firefox opens when I want to "fix" things that Secunia finds for me.

Is it true that I would not be able to "fix" the vcredist_x64.exe within Firefox because it is a Microsoft product? I think I can, however, do that update within Microsoft itself on I.E., right? Sorry to be so long-winded, but I appreciate any and all answers and suggestions before I go ahead changing the registry key.

V Weseloh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Dedicated Contributor 3rd Feb, 2011 20:29
Score: 1209
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
It doesn't matter which browser you use. If you use Firefox, the exe file will be downloaded into your Downloads folder. You can then double click it to run.

You don't say which version of Visual C++ you are trying to update. If you want to use Internet Explorer, browse to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667 . Select the version you want. Choose the links for SP1 and ATL security update .

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability