xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: What is a zombie intallation???

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Windows Media Player 11.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
jziggyp What is a zombie intallation???
Member 7th Feb, 2011 02:42
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 7th Feb, 2011 02:45

On secure Browsing, I drop down the loaded browsers and click on the patch for Microsoft windows media player, I get a list of zombie installations and actual installation patches..... What is a zombie installation patch??? It also a very limited threat rating???? thanks for any help.

It appears this thread needs to be in the PSI section as I use PSI ???

mogs RE: What is a zombie intallation???
Expert Contributor 7th Feb, 2011 07:17
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
As follows is a recent official explanation :-
Zombie files are extra installations of patched software that remains on your disk. They are a new feature that was added in the PSI 2.0 .

Deploying patches will usually do nothing to update them, and they are frequently detected on backup drives. The detection and flagging of zombie files is a new feature to the PSI 2.0 , which we hope will make using the PSI more clear.

If you hover your mouse over the little questionmarks (?) next to words in the PSI, a pop-up explaining the feature will be shown.

Before removing anything, please be certain that you won't affect any newer installations, possibly by comparing the installation path of the programs.

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

Hope the foregoing helps......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jziggyp RE: What is a zombie intallation???
Member 7th Feb, 2011 22:57
Score: 0
User Since: 28th Jan 2011
Last edited on 7th Feb, 2011 23:06
Thanks for the reply mogs.... I'm taking it that it is recommended to remove these zombie installations per the recommendation of PSI 2.0 program pop up ....How do I remove them?? Is there a remove feature on PSI 2.0?? Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Feb, 2011 23:55
Just note the last paragraph of the post.....be sure that it won't cause problems.
I havn't run into occurrances yet myself ......if you double click on the entry you should find the file path...more info and the Toolbox. Hope this helps.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jziggyp RE: What is a zombie intallation???
Member 9th Feb, 2011 03:05
Score: 0
User Since: 28th Jan 2011
Thanks again mogs..... I was able to get rid of all of the zombies on other programs listed...
The zombies on 2 of the programs listed, Windows Media Player 11X (64 bit) and Windows Media Player , I am unable to remove.....64 bit has 15 zombies and 4 actual installations listed .... the other Windows Media player listing has 5 actual installs and 14 zombies... All have a recommendations to remove and very limited threat rating.....They all ask for admin. privilege, but tell me I still can not remove....Any ideas how to safely remove these? Maybe uninstall Media Player and reinstall ?????
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Feb, 2011 07:18
Do you use Revouninstaller ? Free version available here :-
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_fr... go to the bottom of the page for the free download if you're interested.
It also has a Junk File cleaner which I run every day. If you do actually uninstall a prog., it checks out the registry for left over files etc., which you can choose to remove. Other useful tools included too. Might be worth trying.
Hope it helps....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer