Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
markushuegli Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection
Member 10th Feb, 2011 21:58
Ranking: 7
User Since: 2nd Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I have followed matrixmainframe's thread about the above problem closely and wantet to post in his thread. However, no go, the thread is marked as locked. So I open a new one:
I have PSI 2.0, Win 7 Ultimate, all MS patches up to date.
When I click on Open Secunia PSI, I get an empty window. After about a minute appears a smaller window with the picture of a computer and a red monitor. There is a grey bar with white dots, the 1st one on the left is a red square. Below it says "Verifying Internet connection". And that is where it hangs, for hours on end.

Windows Task Manager tells me that "Secunia is running". It does not say "not responding".
I have gone through all the threads treating this problem and tried out everything, including the advice given in the FAQ under "The Secunia PSI is stuck at "Verifying Internet connection...".
To no avail.
I can connect to https://psi.secunia.com/ as well as http://crl.thawte.com/
I am not using MS Security Essentials.

All this is about my Toshiba Satellite A215 S5815. Funny thing is that on my desktop with the same Win 7 Ultimate, PSI 2.0 runs like a charm.

Can anyone help? Please?

--
Win7 Ultimate 32-bit, Firefox, Office 2007 Enterprise

Post "RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection" has been selected as an answer.
Beercow RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection
Member 11th Feb, 2011 00:52
Score: 33
User Since: 26th Sep 2010
System Score: 100%
I don't know if this will work for you because I am using Windows 7 64bit. It's worth taking a look though.

You should delete 1 extra (parasite) zone from

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

with pseudo-graphic number, you'll see it before zone number 0.

It seems this is a bug of Adobe flash player update, though I am not sure.

P.S. By the way, this extra zone prevents desktop gadgets to be shown correctly.

I forgot to mention, always back up your registry before making any changes.

--
Beercow

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
Amd Athlon IIx4 630 Quad-core
Firefox 11
6GB ram
Was this reply relevant?
+0
markushuegli RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection
Member 11th Feb, 2011 17:55
Score: 7
User Since: 2nd Dec 2008
Thank you, Beercow. I am using 32-bit Win7. When I get to the Zone-Folder in the Registry, I only get the subfolders 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. There is no "pseudo-graphic number before zone number 0" as you mention.
However, thanks for trying.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection
Expert Contributor 11th Feb, 2011 21:39
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
Presumeably, you've already checked that your firewall is configured to allow Secunia ? I had an instance once when upgrading psi versions, that I had to re-configure them.
If you've thoroughly checked settings in the FAQ's, the only other thing I can think of is to re-install....which you've probably already tried as well ?.....Cleared out browser cache/temp. files, with CCleaner maybe (?)Run CHKDSK and a registry scanner, if you use one(?)....let it uninstall the previous version of psi (?).
Sorry I can't be of more help........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
puget1 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection
Member 12th Feb, 2011 00:49
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Although everything is working,I have in contoured problems with PSI not opening. I know this is too simple but have you tried right clicking on the tray icon and clicking on "ABOUT SECUNIA". Sometime this starts the ball rolling believe it or not. Honestly, I can't tell you why.
Maybe?

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Feb, 2011 17:47
Thank you mogs and puget. I tried puget's tip and get a window saying "In order to facilitate the transmission of large amounts of data between your network devices and Secunias servers....etc.". Like you said, Secunia seems to work underneath, I get messages like "program change detected: 2 removed programs...".
I will try mogs's tricks next and will post the results.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 12th Feb, 2011 19:11
Hello Mogs,

I deleted PSI with Revo Uninstaller, then I checked my Windows Firewall. In some place it said "secure" where everything else was set to "allow".
I went to "Win Firewall with advanced Security",

Inbound Rules:
There were two lines: Secunia PSI Private, and Secunia PSI Domain. I set both on enabled: yes, and action: allowed.

Outbound Rules:
Profile = all, Enabled = yes, Action = Allow.

Then I downloaded PSISetup.exe again, this time using I.E. (before I used FFox 2x).
Then I installed the program again, now for the 3rd time. I ran the program and:

MIRACLE: IT WORKS!

Thanks for the Firewall tip, so far I have never had to bother about entering into the guts of Windows Firewall. Another thing learnt.

Problem solved. Thanks again.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
mogs RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 hangs at Internet connection
Expert Contributor 12th Feb, 2011 20:44
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello again markushuegli !
Just very glad to hear that you managed to disseminate a cure for yourself ! In future when you upgrade/update it might be better to let Secunia uninstall tho'....it usually goes very smoothly. Havn't got a bad word for Revo either !
If the problem is now resolved ; as you are the originator of the thread, you have the option to close it, by selecting ACCEPT. This will lock the thread : preventing tag-on posts and reminder e mails.......best of luck and regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+