Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Error message trying to log into Community Forum

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bd4always Error message trying to log into Community Forum
Member 17th Feb, 2011 03:21
Ranking: 0
User Since: 17th Feb, 2011
System Score: N/A
When I select "Visit the Community Forum" I get the following error message: "An error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL". Had the same error message for "Adobe Flash Player" and "Java" updates. However I resolved the latter two problems by removing the programs and installing the latest versions manually from the Internet. Do not know the resolution to the Community Forum access and would appreciate some help.

Thanks!

bd4always

Maurice Joyce RE: Error message trying to log into Community Forum
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 09:32
Score: 11297
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Your default browser is not set up correctly in the Registry.

I may have a simple solution but require three bits of information.

1. Are U using XP,Vista or Windows 7?

2. Is it a 32 or 64Bit system.

3. What is normally your default web browser?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bd4always RE: Error message trying to log into Community Forum
Member 17th Feb, 2011 13:34
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Feb 2011
Maurice - Thanks for your response! My OS is Windows 7 - 64 bit. My default internet browser is IE8 but I have Google Chrome installed as I use GMail for my web mail. Hope I have answered your questions. My problem is on my Laptop. I have the same configuration on my Desktop and it is able to access the Community Forum.

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 13:40
Bob,
Try this:

Open IE>Tools>Internet Options>Programs>click the Make Default button in the Default Web Browser Area & put a tick (check mark) in the "Tell me if IE ....." box.

Now try to access - has that worked?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Feb, 2011 13:51
Maurice, the box is already checked. I removed the check and put it back but I still cannot access the Community Forum. Still get the error message.

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 14:54
OK - this should fix it. If not too confident in the Registry try a dummy run before making the changes.

CHANGING A DEFAULT BROWSER VIA THE REGISTRY

If U are receiving this error message An error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL it may require a modification to the registry.

IT IS IMPORTANT U FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. TINKERING IN THE REGISTRY BEYOND THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BELOW AND GETTING IT WRONG CAN,IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, CAUSE A SEVERE LOSS OF HUMOUR AFTER A RESTART AND WINDOWS REFUSES TO BOOT! IT IS WRITTEN FOR A COMPLETE NOVICE USER - more advanced users should navigate within Regedit to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command & make the browser adjustment given at 3d below.

1. Opening REGEDIT

Click Start>type regedit in the search box>REGEDIT.EXE will appear at the top of the list>click it>from the prompt allow the programme to run>U are now in the Registry.

2. Finding the correct key to modify

a. Look in the LEFT PANE & at the top U will see HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. To the left of that key is an arrow. Click it to reveal a long list of Gobbledygook.
b. Scroll down that list to the entry HTTP Click the arrow to the left and look for SHELL click the arrow to the left of Shell and look for OPEN click the arrow to the left of Open and it will reveal COMMAND

3. Modifying the key.

a. Double click on the word COMMAND. The word COMMAND should be highlighted blue.
b. Now look in the RIGHT HAND PANE and U will see an entry starting with an ICON next to the word (default). DOUBLE click on the word (default).
c. A box will appear. U will see an entry called VALUE DATA which will have data in it highlighted in blue. Click the keyboard DELETE key.Make sure ALL the entry is removed.

d. Now highlight & copy (CTRL+C) & then paste(CTRL+V) ALL THE BOLD TYPE BELOW into that box.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

Once inserted click OK> the browser U have chosen should now show under DATA in the RIGHT PANE.

Now EXIT the registry by click the RED BOX with a X at the top RIGHT corner.

Job done.

Update 4 16:58 04/02/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Feb, 2011 15:14
OK! I will get back with you later as to the results. I have learned that the problem is Internet Explorer. By setting Google Chrome as my default browser I am able to access the Community Forum.

Thanks for you support!

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 15:16
Last edited on 17th Feb, 2011 15:22
Pleased U are OK.

If U want to convert Google to IE just follow my registry script.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Feb, 2011 15:48
Maurice, I had no problem following your registry edit. However, it was already set to the configuration you provided. I reset IE8 as my default browser but when I launch Community Forum it opens with Google Chrome not IE8. I do not follow this but it does allow me to access the Community Forum. I would like for Community Forum to open with IE8 but I have the workaround if that is not possible.

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 18:42
I do not use any other browser except IE therefore unable to say what tweak U need to make (if any) with Google.

If the Registry is set for IE that should be your default.

Anthony may look in - he uses Google & may be able to help so I would leave this thread open.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Feb, 2011 19:33
Thank you very much for the support! If Anthony has any words of wisdom I would be open to pursue the matter. Just a FYI - I had the error issue with the Community Forum link before I installed Google on my laptop. If I were to uninstall Google Chrome that would eliminate the Secunia Community Forum link from launching Google Chrome. I might try that but most likely I will be back to square one with the error problem using IE8. I just cannot figure out why I do not have the problem on my Desktop computer as it is pretty much the same as my Laptop. I even compared the Internet Options and did not find any differences. I do not have an A+ Certification but I have a good feel for computers and this has me baffled. However, I do not have the expertise with Secunia coding nor exposure to the interface problems that have developed. Do not know if it is significant or not but the problem started about the time I upgraded to version 2.0. I reinstalled version 2 but to no avail.

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Error message trying to log into Community Forum
Expert Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 21:34
Score: 2371
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Feb, 2011 21:39
Hello Bob ,

The problem has a long history and has made it to the Secunia PSI FAQ's ; Maurice's hand held steps are based on this more cryptic FAQ :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Simply resetting your default browser does not always work , especially if you have had another browser loaded/default previously and it left it's signature in the HKEY in the registry ; this can occur even when the "other" browser has been deleted from the machine .

However , if I understand , your registry entry is set as that for IE ?! :-

Internet Explorer
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

but IE doesn't get selected by the PSI with or without Chrome set as your default ; with Chrome set as default and PSI selecting it , does the HKEY now show the Chrome string :-

Google Chrome
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data \Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -- "%1"

(Substitute your username for \Administrator\ for this to work ) ???

Whilst I also use Chrome and Gmail , my default browser is Firefox and has it's correct HKEY setting # 3 , as illustrated , and is correctly selected by the PSI . Having said that , I usually work here in the forum using Chrome which gives me a better display/control for my ageing myopic vision .

I don't know Win7 , but in the past , stopping all default browser settings in both the configuration panel (or what has replaced it in 7) and your individual browsers' settings , reselecting your/a default and putting in the correct string in the registry HKEY has worked ; I'm not sure deleting the interfering browser was ever helpful , but rule nothing out . If IE is in the string , it sounds possible that IE is not set properly as default somewhere ; neither is it impossible that another registry setting for Google Chrome is interfering ; but there it goes past my knowledge/competence .

Also bear in mind , that if you are stuck with Chrome (at least for the moment) then both it and Firefox have the IETab extension which allows you to run as IE in their browser .

Not sure if this adds anything ; could you just answer my two questions anyway .

Anthony

PS : the old reboot /cold start trick when resetting windows defaults might be pertinent !!

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 21:56
Bob,
Think U have got that already.

If U are double checking the Registry entry this is the key change as described in my post

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome. which is for 64 Bit systems.

The one given by Anthony("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome) is for a 32 Bit system & should not be used.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 17th Feb, 2011 22:02

OOPS !! Sorry about that , saw the two entries for 32 and 64 for both IE and Firefox and still got it wrong :((((((

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Feb, 2011 02:40
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you - had to attend to other issues!
My response is for both Maurice and Anthony since both of you have responded. To answer Anthony's question "does the registry string change to Google when I set Google Chrome as the default browser" - Yes it does and resets to IE when I make IE the default browser. To answer Maurice's recommendation to recheck to see if the registry string is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome - I did that and it is correct for my 64 bit Windows 7 OS. I do not know what else to offer for evaluation. If you have no other troubleshooting suggestions I guess I will just live with my current configuration. As long as the Secunia Community Forum link opens with Google Chrome I have access to the database which works for now. If ever Secunia Community Forum decides to open with IE8 than I will be back to square one with the error message.

I appreciate your prompt responses and follow-up! Until one of us has additional information to pursue I consider this matter to be in the pending file.

Bob

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Feb, 2011 12:34

Hi Bob ,

Another stupid question : you are using the 32 bit and not the 64 bit version of IE ??

I seem to remember a workaround posted (some time ago) to always enable/select IE . Will look for it when I have the time .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Feb, 2011 12:51
Anthony,
IE 32Bit is the default with any 64 Bit version of Windows & there is no option to change it. To use the 64 Bit browser U must activate it by a standalone icon.

Excellent to use for research but limited for everyday use because most vendors have not yet developed their wares to work with it.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Feb, 2011 13:27

Hello Maurice ,

Thank you for clearing up that point , I understood that 32 bit was default but wasn't sure how easy it is/was to select the 64 bit option .

I have found jhertel's original thread (very long and winding - thanks to me :) when the problem was first raised with Secunia : -

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/219...

he does come up with this "option" , when the problem persists , if you scroll down to his entry of 14/08/2009 :-

QUOTE : "Here is a quick hack to make Secunia PSI use the default browser, no matter what it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Windows\\system32\\cmd.exe /c start \"\" \"%1\""

Not pretty with the short-lived popup command window, but it works (tested on my 32 bit Vista Home Premium).

Note that this does not solve the problem with Secunia not recognizing IE as the default browser. "
UNQUOTE .

Not sure if it is too complicated and I guess needs modifying for a 64 bit system and , of course , it should also be taken in context of Jhertel's full postings to the/his thread .

Maybe you would like to look at it and advise Bob .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Feb, 2011 15:25
Anthony & Maurice

I prefer not to mess with the registry as workarounds in the registry almost always leads to other issues. I removed Google Chrome from my laptop which locked Secunia Community Forum into IE8 and the resulting error message. I reinstalled Google Chrome and Secunia Community Forum immediately hijacked Chrome although it was not the default browser. In so doing I can access the Secunia Community Forum which works for me. It is clear to me that a problem lies within the Secunia Community Forum link programming and/or IE8. Since IE9 is near release (the beta is on the street now) I will install it when it is out of beta - perhaps this will help or shed some light on the matter. Unless you have further words of wisdom I will wait on IE9 and see if that resolves the issue. If not, I will continue to let Secunia hijack Google Chrome - assuming it will continue to do so. If necessary I will make Google Chrome the default browser but I prefer not to do that.

Thanks again for your support!

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Feb, 2011 16:07
Bob,
IE9 is beyond BETA. It is RC & I have it installed.

Superb & working like a dream.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability