Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI connects to GUI but will not perform scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
sherwulff PSI connects to GUI but will not perform scan
Member 19th Feb, 2011 17:37
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Feb, 2011
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 19th Feb, 2011 17:44

When i connect to PSI, i have no issue moving forward to the GUI; but when i click on "scan," the computer just says 0-8 programs scanned, but does not advance from this point. it's dead in the water, continuing to display scan results that are outdated by a week or so.

i have read the FAQ forum, and this problem is not addressed. I have reinstalled PSI a few times as well, but no fix.

any ideas about what may be going on?

sherwulff

Post "RE: PSI connects to GUI but will not perform scan" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: PSI connects to GUI but will not perform scan
Expert Contributor 19th Feb, 2011 17:56
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
The only other thing I can think of at the moment, is to check the configuration of your firewall permissions, in your security prog.. I had an instance once when upgrading psi versions that previous Secunia permissions were deleted, and I had to reconfigure them.
Hope it helps......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
sherwulff RE: PSI connects to GUI but will not perform scan
Member 19th Feb, 2011 18:20
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Feb 2011
how would i begin to do this. i'm just using Avira (free version), and i don't see that i have a list choices - plus it still does not scan even if i disable the Avira shield.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Feb, 2011 20:01
I'm not familiar with Avira at all...tho' surely there's options/settings/preferences/configurations ? Perhaps someone else on the forum will be able to enlighten with regard to.
Meanwhile; you say you've installed/uninstalled a number of times.....did you have a thorough clear out of temp. files/browser cache between installs ? Did you let it remove the previous version ? Did you at least use the registry scanner in CCleaner ?
When you read thro' the FAQ's, did you pay particular attention to the notes/paras. here ? :-
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s3
Hope it helps........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Feb, 2011 06:08
i've tried all of this, and nothing works. to restate my dilemma:

i click on Secunia psi, and the GUI downloads.
i go to the scan page and click on scan, but nothing happens
i had a scheduled scan today, which passed without the scan occurring
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2011 10:07
If you'd downloaded yesterday....psi usually carries out the first scan automatically following download.....the next scan would be one week hence. A scheduled scan takes place seven days after the last one, manual or scheduled.
What is your Operating System ?
Does your Avira incorporate a firewall (?)....I couldn't see any mention of, when I Googled it. You should be able to configure which programs are allowed thro' it etc.. How long have you used it....have you recently changed your AV ?
Have you received any error messages at all...if so, what do they say ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sechuman RE: PSI connects to GUI but will not perform scan
Member 20th Feb, 2011 11:00
User Since: 1st Sep 2010
Last edited on 20th Feb, 2011 11:00
At me the same problem and the developer yet hasn't solved it. Here the subject where rose this problem and a subject is closed: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/723... I have tried everything that advised - helps nothing. Has installed the old version, has launched scanning and has waited the terminations, after has installed the new version - now the interface has appeared, but scanning in the former isn't launched. The developer should recognize that the problem is, it isn't connected to actions of users or with a configuration of their computers and the problem needs to be solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Feb, 2011 19:45
i am using Windows XP.

Avira has a shield, but i have been disabling it for the scans.

(i downloaded PSI onto another computer and it works perfectly with Avira, granted a message pops up every time i run a PSI scan that points to C:\autorun.inf). also, both of my computers have had viruses in the past with browser hijacks, but i think they are clean now.

i want to point one other thing out, and i think this is important: Even when i reinstall PSI, I am still getting information in regards an old scan. For example, PSI tells me in the scan logs that my computer is 90% clean, yet many of the programs that need to be patched are no longer even on my computer (this information has not changed in over a week). For example, it tells me that i need to patch Qucktime, I removed Quicktime from my computer a few days ago.

So all of the PSI results are from a scan I ran over a week ago. Despite having done all i can to delete registry entries for PSI prior to the reinstall (Revo Uninstaller, Wise Registry Cleaner, etc.) , this same information continues to present itself.

i would think that if i totally deleted PSI from my computer, old scan results would not be present after i did a reinstall, but this is not the case.

i'm not ready to give up on this yet. PSI is one of the best programs out there, and i desperately want to get it firing on all four cylinders.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2011 20:59
You seem to be saying now, that you are carrying out scans with Avira disabled ? Until you get psi working properly and with the firewall enabled.....it serves no useful purpose clouding the issue with what it may or may not have detected. Specific detections can be dealt with later.

Open the control panel
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click 'Network and Internet' to access the Internet Options
Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Press OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
Type in the following and press the Add button to add it to the Trusted Sites list:
https://*.secunia.com
Press Close, then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

If this has still not fixed your problem, go back to the Internet Options, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss. If you are concerned about this, try the steps outlined below before this one to see if they solve the problem

If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

If that did not resolve the problem either, and you are using Windows XP, try these steps:

1) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI, or C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'

If that did not resolve the issue, then you can try

2) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services' (Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

Can you confirm that the preceding steps have been followed exactly, please ?
Have you got XP and Avira on both computers ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 21st Feb, 2011 02:53
as per the following:

[If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type']

i do not have a "Secunia Update Agent" in Services.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Feb, 2011 07:29
i finally gave up on this.

I followed the directions the letter, it still did not work. So, i downloaded the older version of PSI, and it works perfectly.

i will attempt to download 2.0 at a later date.

Thanks for all of the help, and it was a good learning process for me.

sherwulff
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Feb, 2011 07:59
Last edited on 21st Feb, 2011 08:00
When you do decide to have another go; here is the link for the FAQ's....if you bookmark it ,you'll have it to refer to.http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/ FAQ's
Sorry it hasn't worked out this time.
As you are the originator of the thread, you have the option to close it, by selecting ACCEPT. This will lock the thread : preventing tag-on posts and reminder e mails.
Good luck and regards.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability