xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Uninstalling Sec PSI Not Included in Add/Remove?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Touchito Uninstalling Sec PSI Not Included in Add/Remove?
Member 23rd Feb, 2011 06:51
Ranking: 2
User Since: 18th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello, Everybody!
I need to reinstall my Secunia PSI but, please, if somebody knows how to uninstall it when it is not in Add/Remove Programs, I%u2019ll appreciate directions. I reinstalled my OS in an XP and all my files and applications were kept but Secunia is not working properly (it waits all the time %u201Cto load information%u201D) and it doesn%u2019t appear in my Control Panel nor Revo Uninstaller Pro. I tried by reinstalling without uninstalling first, hopping that the new one would do it, but it didn%u2019t work. I can%u2019t uninstall it from C:/Programs, because I would have to end its process via Task Manager, which is not %u201Crecommendable%u201D. What else could I do? Secunia PSI is supposed to protect computers from insecure programs; but now Secunia must be the insecure program in mine.
The computer is an HP Pavilion with Win XP Media Center
Version 2002 Edition 2005 SP 3
Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz 3.06 GHz 3.11 GB of RAM
My skills level: Beginner.

Thanks for any help.
Touchito

--
Touchito

mogs RE: Uninstalling Sec PSI Not Included in Add/Remove?
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2011 07:53
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Have you read thro' the new FAQ's properly/thoroughly ? Particularly check that your settings are exactly as here : ( please note those more specific to XP further thro' the list.) :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Try clearing out your temp. files/browser cache before re-installing....see if that helps.
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Maurice Joyce RE: Uninstalling Sec PSI Not Included in Add/Remove?
Handling Contributor 23rd Feb, 2011 09:32
Score: 11785
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
If U have Revo Pro are U tracing the downloads?

If so, just activate the uninstall in Traced Programmes & it removes all the files installed by Secunia.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Touchito RE: Uninstalling Sec PSI Not Included in Add/Remove?
Member 24th Feb, 2011 04:13
Score: 2
User Since: 18th Sep 2010
Hello!
Thanks a lot for your help, but I used the link you gave me and tried everything under "The Secunia PSI is Stuck at "Verifying Internet connection..." and won't start. What can I do?" and it didn't work.
When my Secunia starts the dots become red quickly and it first says "Verifying Internet connection" but it continues beyond that to "Waiting for data to load..." and then it gets stuck, so probably the problem is not the Internet connection but something after doing that, probably its connection to Secunia's web site, but the "Check for server certificate revocation" was unchecked already when I went there via Internet Options.
Thanks again.
Touchito

--
Touchito
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Feb, 2011 04:28
Hello!
After reinstalling my OS my Revo was still there and it works right but it didn't keep its Traced Programs. Thanks for your help anyway; I really didn't think of that option until I read your advise so, like mogs' post, it WILL be helpful a lot in the future to solve similar problems.

Thanks, Maurice.
Touchito

--
Touchito
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Feb, 2011 08:16
@Touchito
So the situation you last describe.....is that after having re-installed ? Did it remove the previous version this time ? Did you download from here ? ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe psi 2.0 Full Version Did you clear out temp. files/browser cache, before, as suggested ? If you use a registry scanner or the one in CCleaner...try running that too : it can also help.
Did you note the following when working thro' the FAQ's ? :-
The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at ďCheck for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss. If you are concerned about this, try the steps outlined below before this one to see if they solve the problem
Have you checked your firewall permissions lately....confirm that psi is allowed ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 25th Feb, 2011 05:02
Hi, mogs!
ēYes, thatís after reinstall. First, when I reinstalled my OS I had to redownload everything as usual, but something went wrong so it didnít install very well. Then I reinstalled again but this time System Recovery gave me the option of keeping the files created by me and all my third party software (this probably came from an update) and, yes, all my software were there after reinstall and it was working right, except Secunia 2.0 (which I downloaded from Cnet Downloads)
ēYes, I read carefully everything in those FAQís directions and followed every single step.
ēNo, I hadnít checked the firewall permissions, but I have Avast IS Pro and it never has interfered with Secunia in any of the 3 computers we have at home (XP, Vista and 7) and itís the same than before the reinstall. Anyway, I disabled it for 5 minutes to see if my Secunia loaded but it didnít, so the firewall doesnítí anything to do with the problem.
ēI already ran my CCleaner Registry Cleaner and cleaned my temporary files, etc. as you said, and it didnít work either.
ēDo you think that it could be some kind of spyware in my (brand new) IE8? Iím going to download and run SUPERAntiSpyware right now, itís very good to fix IE, and Iíll let you know the results.

Thank you for your interest and effort to help.
Touchito

--
Touchito
Was this reply relevant?
+2
puget1 RE: Uninstalling Sec PSI Not Included in Add/Remove?
Member 25th Feb, 2011 07:04
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
@Mogs

Suggestion: what about a manual editing of registry and removal of program files. A clean install from the Secunia site? What do you think?

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 25th Feb, 2011 08:01
@puget
Yeah thanks.....the download from Secunia direct is likely to be of help.

@Touchito
Try the download from the link I gave you earlier first....and let it remove any previous version detected.....it usually makes a good job of cleaning up after itself....never found much in the registry myself.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer