Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Verifying Internet Connection

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JSBSC Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 13:30
Ranking: 5
User Since: 23rd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
I tried to open PSI 2.0 this morning and when the splash screen opens all it does it show one red block on the load bar as it verifies internet connection. Usually it takes maybe 60 seconds but I left it open for about half an hour an that progress never changed and Secunia never opened. PS I do have internet access. Thanks for any feedback.

Maurice Joyce RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Handling Contributor 1st Mar, 2011 13:37
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U have a duplicate thread running. I will delete the other one to prevent confusion.

To try to answer your problem U may wish to try the FAQ in particular this bit
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s3

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
JSBSC RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 14:03
Score: 5
User Since: 23rd Dec 2010
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2011 14:04
Tried all of these and nothing happened, some of the steps I think I had to try when I first upgraded to 2.0 and the splash screen wouldn't load. I think it was about the text services. The check for server certificate revocation was already unchecked when I went there. It was already in the trusted sites box for the other fix that was offered. Any other ideas why this all of a sudden stopped loading. Thanks PS I am using windows xp media.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Pam51 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 14:15
Score: 2
User Since: 26th Dec 2008
Hi. Have had this problem on two computers today and finally reinstalled on one to see what would happen. Found after reinstall Secunia worked again so reinstalled on second computer and now both are running Secunia properly. It's a hassle I know but tried all other suggestions I could find. This appeared to have happened after a Windows update but this could just have been a coincidence. Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Machpt755 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 14:19
Score: 3
User Since: 1st Mar 2011
I have the same problem this morning. 2 computers running Secunia 2.0 and Vista, both computers ran Secunia fine last night, no updates were made to the computers but neither would launch this morning. The get stuck on the splash screen "Verifying Internet Connection". I haven't tried uninstall/reinstall yet, guess that's next.

I installed Secunia 2.0 on my new HP Envy 14 right out of the box today and it doesn't work either. Been running through all the troubleshooting on the threads here but haven't found a solution that works yet.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 1st Mar, 2011 14:35
I reinstalled and still have the same problem. Any other ideas.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
2harts4ever RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 14:45
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Having the same problem! I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8, fully updated in all respects.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jesant13 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 15:35
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Sep 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2011 15:42
"U have a duplicate thread running. I will delete the other one to prevent confusion.

To try to answer your problem U may wish to try the FAQ in particular this bit
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s3"

I tried some of those suggestions but they did not resolve the problem. I removed "https://*.secunia.com" from the Trusted Sites zone as adding it did nothing. I refuse to do any of the other suggestions.

I think this problem is with Secunia PSI. I don't think Service Pack 1 is the cause of the problem because I was able to run a scan yesterday after I installed Service Pack 1.

Edit: My computer's operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium. I use the 64-bit version. I installed two updates yesterday: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932), and Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2488113).
Was this reply relevant?
+2
j1huisman RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 16:05
User Since: 10th Jan 2008
After coming back from holidays, I had 5 installations running as desired but 1 installation had the 'verifying internet connection problem' Checked and implemented the solutions from the FAQ, without success.
Removed the installation, did a cleanup with ccleaner, downloaded and installed the latest PSI: PSI now up and running as usual.

(I would recommend a deinstall and a install as the first option!)

Jeen.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 1st Mar, 2011 16:13

Unless there is a difference between deinstall and uninstall, I already uninstalled and reinstalled. What is the latest PSI you installed is it different from the 2.0.

on 1st Mar, 2011 16:05, j1huisman wrote:
After coming back from holidays, I had 5 installations running as desired but 1 installation had the 'verifying internet connection problem' Checked and implemented the solutions from the FAQ, without success.
Removed the installation, did a cleanup with ccleaner, downloaded and installed the latest PSI: PSI now up and running as usual.

(I would recommend a deinstall and a install as the first option!)

Jeen.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TorbjornMohn RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 16:57
User Since: 18th Feb 2011
Same problem on 3 different computers. Nothing to do with W7SP1. Have been running fine with SP1 for almost 2 weeks! I freshinstalled psi on a new computer, and it works fine. I've found that the problem has to do with login to the secunia servers from my "Secunia Community Profile". Any ionstallation that is set up to NOT use the profile, seems to work. I don't know where to edit the settimgs in order to remove the Community Login, since the program never starts?

--
Torbjorn
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Charlie83672 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 17:15
User Since: 16th Dec 2010
I have WinXP SP3 and had exactly the described problem on the Secunia PSI splash screen -- just one red dot and stuck at verifying connectivity.

The version of Secunia PSI that I had was PSI 2.0.0.1003 from December.

I downloaded the latest version -- PSI 2.0.0.3001 -- from Secunia and did the uninstall/reinstall.

Now it works.

Hope this helps,
Charlie
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Tc2 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 17:31
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Feb 2009
Same problem here. XP MCE with sp3
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Machpt755 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 17:41
That's it!!! =)

I uninstalled v2.0.0.1003 on all 3 computers (Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit & Windows 7 64 bit) and downloaded the latest version from the web v2.0.0.3001 and it works on all 3 computers!

I only wish I knew that the version on the web was newer than the one I had installed. The only place I found to see the version that's currently installed on my computer is through the Control Panel/Programs & Features where it lists Secunia and the version # next to it. Unfortunately the website and the main Secunia user interface both only list v2.0 so it was hidden to me until I downloaded AND installed the web version to find out that the version on the web was newer (v2.0.0.3001).

This fixed my problem, hopefully it'll help others out there too!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mogs RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Expert Contributor 1st Mar, 2011 17:54
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
For future reference, you can always check versions here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2011 18:05
Uninstalling ver 2.0.1003 an reinstalling the latest version (2.0.3001) solved the problem here. Ironic though that PSI was unable to detect a new version of "itself"? :-)

--
Torbjorn
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Pam51 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 18:29
User Since: 26th Dec 2008
With refrence to my earlier post about uninstalling and reinstalling Secunia. My situation was the same as Charlie's as I also had an earlier version downloaded in December last year and found the one I downloaded today was a later version 2.0.0.3001
Was this reply relevant?
+1

mogs

RE: Verifying Internet Connection
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 1st Mar, 2011 18:40
Downloaded the newest version and it is now running and scanning-hopefully this solves the problem. Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+1
blackr222 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 19:22
User Since: 20th Jun 2009
I had same problem today but after downloading software and re-installing it, now works. I noticed that just before the software stopped working, a message appeared just at the notification area "1 new program installed" but when I checked my PC I couldn't find anything new. Anyway software now working.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tmalomas RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 22:32
User Since: 30th Apr 2009
Please could Secunia update the FAQ. It currently describes the problem, but the solutions it proposes are not relevant.

The previous version hangs; the current version does not. If you reinstall the current version it will offer to remove the older version, so you don't need to remember to do both.

Please note that you can check the current version even if it has hung. Right click the PSI logo in the system tray then select About. The correct version is now 2.0.0.3001. If it shows a lower version then that is the cause of the problem.

May I remind Secunia's programmers that some of us use laptops, which do not always have network access. It is rude for a program to hang if it can't make a network connection.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Member 1st Mar, 2011 22:50
English isn't my native language, it's dutch. So 'deinstalling' should be uninstalling. De defective installation was version 2.0.0.1003 and the most recent downloaded software was 2.0.0.3001, like others in the forum already have been confirming.
By the way, the computer is running XP Sp3 Professional Dutch.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Deadilus RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 23:06
User Since: 27th Feb 2011
System Score: 98%
on 1st Mar, 2011 22:32, tmalomas wrote:
May I remind Secunia's programmers that some of us use laptops, which do not always have network access.

This is a good point; I've installed Secunia on the three laptops in my house and another (laptop) in the family (following on from sorting it out after a nasty virus), plus have every intent to install on another two (laptops) in the family and have recommended it to a few work colleagues. I hadn't warned any of those users that an internet connection was essential.

Suggestion for the development team - could Secunia keep a copy of the latest (secure) software listing and only inform if it is out of date / no internet connection is found?

--
HP dv9590ea, 4GB RAM, 2x 500GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 (32-bit)
Google Chrome 10.0.648.119 beta + IE9 RC
Was this reply relevant?
+3
cudBwrong RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 23:35
I would just like to confirm what others are reporting. I had 2 instances of 2.0.x, running fine last night, that could not connect this morning. I presume they were not the very latest version 2.0.3001. Removing them and installing the latest download fixed the problem.

Secunia really needs to address this. Software, especially security software, should not hang on launch without warning. Note that the software did not break on the release date, which was last January. Somebody must have changed something on the server side last night. It broke today.

The correct behavior is for the software to say, "Excuse me, but I have detected that you need to update your secunia software. Please click here and I will install it for you."
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 1st Mar, 2011 23:36
on 1st Mar, 2011 18:32, mogs wrote:
@TorbjornMohn
Have you run a full scan since installing ? Version >3001 should show up.
Regards.

@mogs
It ran on schedule about a week ago, and did not detect a newer version then. I could not run a new scan today, since the program did not start properly.
But It's working now, after a Control Panel manual uininstall. (upgrade/uninstall did not work on any of the systems here).

--
Torbjorn
Was this reply relevant?
+1
joe53 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 23:40
Score: 4
User Since: 19th Dec 2008
Like others have noted, I suddenly found PSI non-functional because I had the older version 2.0.0.1003 installed. Installing 2.0.0.3001 fixed the problem, on both my XP/sp3 and Win 7 Pro systems.

Here's my question:

How does one know when a new version is available? Even the folks at Calendar of Updates missed that January new version, and they miss very little. Am I missing some feature that needs to be enabled? Some notification in the program? Some sticky in this forum?

Because one should not have to endure an old version failure like this, visit this forum to sift through the threads, get referred to an FAQ page which doesn't help, or visit a version changelog page on a regular basis just to see if a new version is available.

Even when I visit that changelog page, I see the following when expanding the January 10 2.0.0.3001 version:
"This is a minor service release. If you are running Secunia PSI 2.0 without problems then there's no need to upgrade." Umm ... not!

When folks see a security program (and I consider PSI as part of my security) fail, one of the first things they think of is malware. I wasted a lot of time yesterday running numerous and needless on-demand scans to rule this out.

Just a little constructive feedback.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
hscoggins RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 23:40
Score: 6
Same problem for me. Reinstalling the software fixed the problem.

Seems like a lot of people are having this problem all of a sudden. Perhaps there's a problem on Secunia's end?
Was this reply relevant?
+4
2harts4ever RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 1st Mar, 2011 23:55
Once I discovered there was a newer version and then installed it everything is now working.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
PretenderZenith RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 01:11
User Since: 2nd Mar 2011
Same problem developed today when I wanted to scan with PSI. I had installed new versions of adobe flash this AM. I am going to uninstall PSI and install again to see if this will fix issue. I did right click on tray icon and chose "about" and it shows version 2.0.0.1003. I checked psi.exe and it shows same. I use the latest version of Firefox for browswer. 32-bit Windows XP Pro with all updates installed as well as SP3. Guess my question would be:
Is version 2.0.0.1003 a version number that was made available or should it be version 2.0.0.3001?
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 01:29
Okay. Used Revo Uninstaller to remover version 2.0.0.1003. Installed version 2.0.0.3001 and PSI seems to be working correctly now and has completed the first scan. 100% score.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
WhatsupNow RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 05:29
User Since: 16th Dec 2008
I used the program this weekend and had a 100% score. So the January update did not show it needed to be updated. If the internet connection had not locked on the first bar I would not have known there was an update. Wish there was a check for update tab that was easy to find as there use to be. For a auto update security program this program does not make it easy to tell what version is loaded and you need to update.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
hscoggins RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 05:31
Seems like a "Check for updates" option on the popup menu on the tray icon would be a good idea.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 08:59
One more confirmation on the issue:
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, 32 bit, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600, 4GB memory having the same problem with 2.0.0.1003. Downloaded the latest version (2.0.0.3001), installing (installer removes the previous installation automatically) and up and running again!

Note: PSI isn't autoupdating itself? And I couldn't find a setting in the PSI interface to set a auto-updating feature. Does anyone have suggestions?

Jeen.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 09:02
on 2nd Mar, 2011 01:29, PretenderZenith wrote:
Okay. Used Revo Uninstaller to remover version 2.0.0.1003. Installed version 2.0.0.3001 and PSI seems to be working correctly now and has completed the first scan. 100% score.

Don't think using a special uninstaller is neccessary. Just running the latest installer from the site fixes the issue.

Jeen.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Leendert Kip Verifying Internet Connection
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 11:03
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
on 2nd Mar, 2011 08:59, j1huisman wrote:
PSI isn't autoupdating itself? And I couldn't find a setting in the PSI interface to set a auto-updating feature.

No, PSI isn't autoupdating itself. New versions are often mentioned in the PSI
Forum as they come available.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+3
G.Fernandes RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 12:34
Score: 1
User Since: 30th Sep 2010
Hi
I had the same problem this morning, so downloaded the latest PSI 2 version of 10 Jan 2011 and whatever the problem was, it has gone away and all working fine now.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
pickleman51 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 17:53
User Since: 22nd Feb 2008
downloaded latest version 2.0.0.3001 now it works
Was this reply relevant?
+0
chadlester RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 23:23
Score: -1
User Since: 5th Sep 2010
Uninstalling/reinstalling solved it for me!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 00:17
on 2nd Mar, 2011 09:02, j1huisman wrote:
Don't think using a special uninstaller is neccessary. Just running the latest installer from the site fixes the issue.

Jeen.

I agree that a special uninstaller isn't neccessary. Just providing the facts as to what I did and used.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Skylark RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 02:21
User Since: 2nd Nov 2009
System Score: 89%
Have you done a cold boot and reset your router? Verified your NIC properties haven't changed, or gone into your router's firmware to verify those settings? How about the firewall - have you got it set to allow PSI passthrough ability? If I've duplicated any suggestions already made, my apologies! :) Good luck!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kb5lka RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 02:53
User Since: 13th Mar 2008
I have 2 computers running PSI. Both failed to run the program on 3-1-11.
Computers are:
Compac N600C XP Home sp3 32 bit
Samsung RF710 Windows 7 Home sp1 not installed yet, 64 bit
Looked the forum over and found this thread. I uninstalled the Windows 7 computer and downloaded 2.0.0.3001 and installed, ran program and everything back to normal .

I uninstalled the XP computer and did a upgrade install. Failed. Uninstalled, did a clean install ie rebooted after uninstall and reinstalled a fresh download of new version. Failed. I have tried Everything mentioned in this thread. Did all of the FAQ sub section 3 mentioned in this thread. Nothing works Both computers are running the same Internet Security software. I have checked and this software is not blocking the program or internet connection.
So it seems not all problems can not be solved with a simple re installation in all cases. I will wait and see if a New version is shortly available.

Perplexed
Was this reply relevant?
+1
PaoloR RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 09:23
Score: -1
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 3rd Mar, 2011 09:25
I downloaded the latest version.
The installation has removed the previous version, but left active the process "sua.exe".
The installation of the new version could not overwrite sua.exe:
from task manager, I closed the process sua.exe, I redid the installation
and now it works.
But this failures are not pretty!
Was this reply relevant?
+3
kb5lka RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 10:48
User Since: 13th Mar 2008
A follow up on my previous post. Having exhausted finding any fixes on this thread. I looked back on some earlier post. I found one that mentioned that it might help if the new version was downloaded with IE8. I use Firefox most of the time. I thought hey why not give it a try. So I discarded the Installer program and downloaded a fresh copy of the new installer. I had not uninstalled the new version yet and I thought I'll try the program again before reinstall for the fourth time. To my amazement the program on my XP computer fired up and ran with out a hitch. Mind you I did not use the installer program I downloaded with IE8. I do not have a clue as to why after a day it decided to work. Maybe a silent update? Your guess is as good as mine. This whole thing is odd.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
oldyorkie RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 12:01
User Since: 7th Aug 2008
Hi... think this may be a bug within Secunia PSI v2.0 -

I had same issue on win7 x64. So went to Secunia home page and saved downloaded app to my pc.
After a couple of unsuccessful updates due to hanging proccess, I uninstalled via control panel and installed from downloaded prog.

All now works fine with interface no longer showing this issue.

Hope this helps as an interim

--

HP dv7
3.00GB RAM
Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD Phenom P820 II Triple Core
IE 9
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jljensen RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 14:33
User Since: 3rd Mar 2011
Had the same problem with 2 PC's with XP sp3. Tried to update the first one from 2.0.0.1003 by running the 2.0.0.3001 setup, but was told by the program that I had to uninstall "manually". But there was no entry in the "install/remove programs". So I took it litterally and stopped the running programs, deleted all programs in the Secunia program folder and tried to remove all entries in the registry by searching for "Secunia" (could not delete the entries with "Legacy"). Also stopped the service. After reboot the new program still refused to run, because it could see the old program.
Fortunately I had still one PC left that had an uninstall entry for PSI. So I did a Regshot to test what keys were removed and which files were deleted:

Keys deleted:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\Secunia PSI
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\Secunia PSI
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Secunia\PSIA
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Secunia\sua
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PSI
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PSI\000 0
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PSI\000 0\Control
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSI
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSI\Instances
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSI\Instances\P SI - Bottom Instance
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSI\Instances\P SI - Middle Instance
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSI\Instances\P SI - Top Instance
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSI\Security
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSI\Enum
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PSI
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PSI \0000
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PSI \0000\Control
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PSI
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PSI\Instanc es
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PSI\Instanc es\PSI - Bottom Instance
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PSI\Instanc es\PSI - Middle Instance
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PSI\Instanc es\PSI - Top Instance
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PSI\Securit y
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PSI\Enum

Files deleted:17
----------------------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menuen Start\Programmer\Secunia PSI.lnk
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\psi.inf
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\psia.exe
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\psires.dll
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\PSI_terms_and_conditions .rtf
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\Readme.rtf
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\SUA\c405ea7e85b7f0ff93ff c41e7f07a1d9\added
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\SUA\c405ea7e85b7f0ff93ff c41e7f07a1d9\approved
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\SUA\c405ea7e85b7f0ff93ff c41e7f07a1d9\downloaded
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\SUA\c405ea7e85b7f0ff93ff c41e7f07a1d9\downloading
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\SUA\c405ea7e85b7f0ff93ff c41e7f07a1d9\entry
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\SUA\c405ea7e85b7f0ff93ff c41e7f07a1d9\jre-6u24-windows-i586-s.exe
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\sua.exe
C:\Programmer\Secunia\PSI\Uninstall.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\psi_mf.sys

Then I could go back to the first PC and check all of the above (I had missed some keys and also the driver file) and finally I was allowed to install the new version.
A pretty annoying experience - it would have been nice to have at least an uninstaller available. Hope this can help somebody!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jesbion RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 16:15
Score: -5
User Since: 14th May 2010
mogs, is it too much to ask that PSI updates itself, or at least, shows that it needs to be updated? I picked up that it needed an uninstall, and re-install, from the first few posts, figuring it was brought about by the last windows update, but had forgotten my password, and didn't leave any remarks. It is events like this that make me wonder if PSI is ready for the open market....I'm sure many more experienced the same problem and have no idea how to repair it! Oh, well.....
Was this reply relevant?
+3
jesbion RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 3rd Mar, 2011 16:17
Score: -5
User Since: 14th May 2010
PSI scans and automatically updates all the programs but cannot update itself? NOT!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Expert Contributor 4th Mar, 2011 00:00
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@jesbion.
Your question is possibly better directed at Secunia support. For my part I'm surmising that the reason it isn't auto updated, is that some users are happier to stick with a previous version sometimes. It may be worth remembering that psi is a free program....yet still requires budgetting for and resources....then that raises questions about priorities.
All things considered and whatever the language.....I think we all require a little patience.
I hope you feel I've answered your question adequately....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Terradon RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 4th Mar, 2011 00:20
Score: 9
User Since: 24th Sep 2009
Finding a solution to this problem was much harder than it needed to be. The links to FAQ articles were a complete waste of time. Finding what is the current version on the website is downright impossible. The best I could find is that it was version 2.0. It's insane to download and install a program without knowing if it is more current than what is installed. Installing without uninstalling 2.0.0.1003 hung at removing the previous version. Uninstalling from the control panel worked in seconds. After installing the current download, the connection issue was resolved.

--
Don
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Intel Core 2Quad 8GB RAM 1000mb lan to cable
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Bandolier RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 4th Mar, 2011 00:25
Score: 7
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Last edited on 4th Mar, 2011 00:27
on 2nd Mar, 2011 05:31, hscoggins wrote:
Seems like a "Check for updates" option on the popup menu on the tray icon would be a good idea.

Agreed - simple and easily get-at-able by users on demand!

I have had this issue across variety of Win7 Home / Vista Home & Business / XP professional systems, some laptops. Been around a little while actually.
As others have reported, installing latest version cured the issue - but based on my past experience this issue will reoccur.

Wholeheartedly agree that NOT having an internet connection should NOT cause any application to stall / hang / crash etc.

Love the product!

Cheers

Bandolier

--
Cheers

Bandolier
Was this reply relevant?
+3
sbaffa RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 4th Mar, 2011 20:46
User Since: 4th Mar 2011
I had the same thing happen on my Dell 1525 laptop. At first I thought my firewall was blocking the PSI connection to the internet, but when I checked the settings, all was fine. So I uninstalled the PSI 2.0 version and downloaded the latest version. Now all is working ok.
PSI should have an auto update.

--
sbaffa
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Deltic RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 4th Mar, 2011 22:45
I was struggling to the solve the same problem and only found out about the latest version via a Dell (I think) website!

There should be some form of autoupdate/notification process when an upgrade becomes available.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jmdcpa RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 4th Mar, 2011 22:57
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
The same thing happened to me a few days ago on 6 different computers.

I downloaded the latest version and installed it and it worked. I had version 2.0.0.1003 and the newest version is 2.0.0.3001.

The only way I know to see your version is to right-click on the tray icon and choose About.

I wish the download site would give you the full version number and not just say 2.0. I assumed I had the latest version but I did not.

Good luck!

Joe
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 4th Mar, 2011 22:59
You may not have the latest version. Download it again. You can check your version by right-clicking the tray icon and choosing about. The latest version is 2.0.0.3001. I had the same problem and the latest version fixed it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Mar, 2011 23:03
You should tell people to download the latest version. I tried all the things at that link and nothing worked. So I downloaded again and learned that I did not have the latest version, even though I had 2.0. Installing the latest version fixed this problem that so many are having.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

UziUzi

[+]
This reply has been deleted
UziUzi RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 4th Mar, 2011 23:57
Score: 18
User Since: 15th Apr 2010
Just wanted to post I have the same issue.

ON two computers. ALl the sudden no Secunia hung at checking internet connection. Of course I had working installations.

After giving up in frustration I found this thread.

I intend to uninstall Secunia PSI and download the 'new' version and reinstall.

What is amazing to me is the application can't properly notify the user of the issue. This stains a otherwise excellent tool.

Perhaps Secunia could look into it. Secunia might also consider properly
updating the FAQ so to not waste users time chasing false issues when the problem is with the client itself.

ANyway, unless I have more issues with this situation I won't post again in this thread.

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Beercow RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 03:24
Score: 33
User Since: 26th Sep 2010
I found an answer to the problem of the UI freezing on start up. It worked for me, I hope it works for you. I am using Windows 7 64bit.

You should delete 1 extra (parasite) zone from

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

with pseudo-graphic number, you'll see it before zone number 0.

It seems this is a bug of Adobe flash player update, though I am not sure.

P.S. By the way, this extra zone prevents desktop gadgets to be shown correctly.

I forgot to mention, always back up your registry before making any changes.

--
Beercow

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
Amd Athlon IIx4 630 Quad-core
Firefox 11
6GB ram
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 03:25
Isn't it ironic that a program that helps you keep other programs up to date, doesn't keep itself up to date! I think that wins the ironic situation of the year award!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Beercow RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 03:36
Score: 33
User Since: 26th Sep 2010
This program isn't meant to keep programs up to date. It is only meant to update security vulnerabilities in programs.

--
Beercow

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
Amd Athlon IIx4 630 Quad-core
Firefox 11
6GB ram
Was this reply relevant?
+1
merlock RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 16:03
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
I hope everyone is giving Secunia an earful when that stupid page comes up asking why you are uninstalling.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sbaffa RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 16:46
User Since: 4th Mar 2011
on 5th Mar, 2011 16:03, merlock wrote:
I hope everyone is giving Secunia an earful when that stupid page comes up asking why you are uninstalling.

What page??? I must have missed it. I uninstalled and reinstalled Secunia so fast that I did not see that page. But none the less I am sure they must have heard about it loud and clear.

--
sbaffa
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Redeft RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 17:38
User Since: 7th Mar 2010
I, too, experienced the PSI v2.0 hang during the Verifying Internet connection... phase. I had been running v2.0.0.3001 (Vista Home Premium w/ SP 2).

I suppose a clue to this problem may have occurred a few days ago when I noticed the PSI icon had disappeared from the system tray. I should have investigated this, hindsight being what it is. However, when I began experiencing the startup problem, as others have reported, I uninstalled PSI (Revo Uninstaller) and reinstalled the same version I had been running. PSI now runs normally.

Thus in my case it was a matter of reinstalling the most current version of PSI. A fine distinction but, perhaps, a significant one.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
English Teacher RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 18:11
User Since: 27th Dec 2008
System Score: 95%
I just want to say that I had the same problem. The problem was resolved by downloading the latest version and installing it.

You don't need an un-installer. Just run the PSI installer, it will detect that an older version is on your computer and automatically un-install before installing the newer version.

@hscoggins
Good idea, a "Check for Updates" from the tray button.

@ PSI Techies.
You know that portable computers don't always have internet connection. Can't you give a notification when the program list is a few days out of date?

@ Everybody who uses PSI
When you run the installer program it detects that you have an older version and un-installs it. PLEASE WAIT!!!! The installer hasn't crashed...on my computer it took nearly 10 minutes of seemingly doing nothing before it started to show life again.

You don't need a special un-installer. In fact, running one could delete your settings whereas the installer program won't!! Just run the PSI installer, it will detect that an older version is on your computer and automatically un-install before installing the newer version.

I also agree that some of the things in FAQ are now out dated and should be redone. This is a global problem with FAQs not just with PSI. Programs change very quickly but the FAQs remain outdated!!

@ merlock
What page comes up when you un-install? I have installed PSI, due to updates etc, and have never seen this page. Are you sure you're talking about the correct program?

--
Never argue with Stupid People. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with Experience.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Terradon RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 18:58
Score: 9
User Since: 24th Sep 2009
on 5th Mar, 2011 18:11, English Teacher wrote:

When you run the installer program it detects that you have an older version and un-installs it. PLEASE WAIT!!!! The installer hasn't crashed...on my computer it took nearly 10 minutes of seemingly doing nothing before it started to show life again.

Maybe. After what seemed like an eternity, I started watching the processes for all users. the installer had no cpu clicks and no memory change. It certainly seemed hung, so I ended it. Then, turning to the control panel to uninstall, the uninstall took seconds. After that the installer had no problem.

(unknown source)
You don't need a special un-installer. In fact, running one could delete your settings whereas the installer program won't!! Just run the PSI installer, it will detect that an older version is on your computer and automatically un-install before installing the newer version.

Using the control panel, my settings remained intact.

(unknown source)

What page comes up when you un-install? I have installed PSI, due to updates etc, and have never seen this page. Are you sure you're talking about the correct program?

You didn't "uninstall" you "updated". It may seem like a subtle difference, but when you install over your existing installation, it can be reasonably assumed that you are continuing to use the program. When you uninstall the program, no such assumption can be made and so many companies ask for feedback.

--
Don
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Intel Core 2Quad 8GB RAM 1000mb lan to cable
Was this reply relevant?
+0
English Teacher RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 19:14
User Since: 27th Dec 2008
System Score: 95%
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 19:16
@Terradon

Thanks for your reply. As for your first reply, neither did I see any CPU usage for a while and then as soon as it started up again. It finished in less than two minutes.
In reply to the second, I did say that it could delete the settings. This I don't know as I've never needed to use one to delete PSI.
My reply to the third is that YES I know that there is a big difference between "Update" and "Un-install". In the past I have had a few other issues with PSI which required me and Un-install it but never have I been taken to a web page to be asked "Why are you un-installing PSI?"

Anyway, have a nice weekend everybody.

If you can see my PSI score here ignore it, it's wrong. I've just done a scan and am 100%. Here it says 95% this is an old issue for me.

--
Never argue with Stupid People. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with Experience.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
andr0meda RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 20:51
User Since: 5th Mar 2011
Same exact for me also. Win7Pro.

Uninstalled via MS control panel
Reboot
Download NEW version from Secunia site
(note slight variation of version no.)
Install and reboot
+1
fasteddie0747 RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 5th Mar, 2011 23:22
User Since: 23rd May 2010
I deleted the older version and installed the PSI 4.1.0.2001 and though it installed a registration window pops up asking for registration and when I submit the current User ID & password it does not accept in.
What can I do?
Thanks

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 23:25
on 5th Mar, 2011 18:11, English Teacher wrote:

@ merlock

It's a 'surveymonkey' page simply asking why you are uninstalling. Might not see it if you are doing an in-place upgrade. I uninstalled because I had a strange 'File Not Found' error trying to upgrade.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Handling Contributor 5th Mar, 2011 23:26
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Looks like U have downloaded/installed CSI & not PSI.

CSI requires payment unless U elect a trial version. Uninstall it & then install PSI from here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 23:29
on 5th Mar, 2011 23:25, merlock wrote:
It's a 'surveymonkey' page simply asking why you are uninstalling. Might not see it if you are doing an in-place upgrade. I uninstalled because I had a strange 'File Not Found' error trying to upgrade.

Love being able to edit a post...

Anyway, it really bothers me that the surveymonkey page opens in IE, with admin privileges.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Mar, 2011 11:09
Last edited on 6th Mar, 2011 11:16
Okay, problem solved to be honest I mistakenly had installed the CSI 4.1 thinking that was the new latest version (silly me) not relizing it was a corporate version.
The problem with the "Verifiying Internet Connection" was resolved as soon as I uninstalled the CSI 4.1 and reinstalled the PSI 2.0.0.3001 which opened the scan and everything checked out at 100%.
I took the thread advice from Maurice Joyce Secunia Tech Support, if this problem still exists try uninstall and then install latest version PSI 2.0.0.3001
Thanks to all feedback cause I was able to check other things to make sure I was on track with the trouble shooting.

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Mar, 2011 11:18
on 4th Mar, 2011 22:57, jmdcpa wrote:
The same thing happened to me a few days ago on 6 different computers.

I downloaded the latest version and installed it and it worked. I had version 2.0.0.1003 and the newest version is 2.0.0.3001.

The only way I know to see your version is to right-click on the tray icon and choose About.

I wish the download site would give you the full version number and not just say 2.0. I assumed I had the latest version but I did not.

Good luck!

Joe

I agree that sort of will throw one off that's how I installed the CSI 4.1 as they indicated and that was the wrong download cause its for corporate and not personal.

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Mar, 2011 11:21
on 1st Mar, 2011 14:35, JSBSC wrote:
I reinstalled and still have the same problem. Any other ideas.

After un-install try the re-boot and check program files on the computer icon which goes into your folders and scroll down to see if you see secunia delete if its there and then re-install that's what I did and it worked.

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Expert Contributor 6th Mar, 2011 20:12
Score: 2463
Last edited on 6th Mar, 2011 20:16
Hi All ,

Secunia support are not active on the PSI atm , so you posters have been doing a great job helping your fellow sufferers , as is "normal" on this Community Forum .

I posted to this thread to give (you) as much detail as I could think off for getting version data and finding the "latest updated version :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/775...

Any "wish list" requests as in doing something about "internet link down warnings" will have to wait 'til Secunia get back to the PSI ; on this specific point , as very little of the PSI is downloaded to your computer and the GUI is simply the link between you and the Secunia servers running via the embedded IE engine , I doubt whether you "Lappies" will see much change in the short term .

Keep on helping :))

Take care

Anthony

PS : even if you seem to have the latest version , if you experience problems of this nature , it may be worth "reinstalling" in case the download failed to set the psia.exe correctly , for example .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Joliegew RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 7th Mar, 2011 12:54
User Since: 7th Mar 2011
I had the problem on one computer, but not at another one. After reading about one sixth of the conversation, I noticed that there may be a confusion about version numbers: I know I installed 2.0.0.1003 on both computers (as told one works fine with this version and the other suddenly hanged in "Verifying Internet Connection"), but now I find 2.0.0.3001 being the newest version, and btw it appears that version 2.0.0.1003 never was an officially accepted version.
Version 2.0.0.3001 works fine, now I installed it!
Maybe this answer can be found in the other five sixth of the conversation, so please forgive me if this is true.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Joliegew RE: Verifying Internet Connection
Member 7th Mar, 2011 13:03
User Since: 7th Mar 2011
Last edited on 7th Mar, 2011 13:05
I probably overread charlie...'s post on 1st Mar, 2011 17:15.
He gave the solution, but probably I didn't notice version 2.0.0.1003 is a different one from 2.0.0.3001! Sorry charlie...
Was this reply relevant?
+0

xyzzy

[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+