Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Language problem

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Mozilla Foundation
And, this specific program:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
DAB268 Language problem
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 15:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi.

The AU of PSI installed Firefox in English instead of German and also it added and changed some search engines:

This (http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/615...) Thread says it would be fixed in PSI 2.0, but it isn't in the latest version.

---START---

Program Name:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.1...

Instances Found:
C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, version: 3.6.13

Last System Scan (localtime):
2. Mar 2011, 14:51

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

---END---

Greetz
DAB268

Anthony Wells RE: Language problem
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2011 15:59
Score: 2372
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

there is still this "bug" that the PSI link is to the international/English-Us installer for all programmes ; however if you set "Auto-Updates" in the PSI and go to an "auto-updateable" programme :eg: Mozilla Firefox , you can select your language for the download . Please note that the "default" setting is for the Int/English installer and not your system's or programme's language . This "bug" is also known to Secunia .

By habit , I always use the programme's internal updater (found in the "Help" dropdown menu in many programmes , including Firefox) ; In the past this has always been the most effective method . However , I have found the PSI auto-updates to work very smoothly ; you need to be patient as they can take longer than the manual method .

Hope that is clear enough , if not ask again .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+4
xyzzy RE: Language problem
Member 9th Mar, 2011 04:02
Score: -17
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
System Score: 98%
on 2nd Mar, 2011 15:01, DAB268 wrote:
The AU of PSI installed Firefox in English instead of German

Happened to me with thunderbird some weeks ago when I tested PSI 2.x Workarounds: disable auto-update OR downgrade to PSI 1.5.0.2

For programs with their own update mechanisms - not limited to FF + TB - I think the PSI auto-update should not attempt to outsmart the built-in update. Same idea as for windows update, it's the job of PSI to detect issues, not to fix them.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 9th Mar, 2011 17:18
Last edited on 9th Mar, 2011 17:19
Hello @xyzzy ,

Your post is confusing the issue . Have you read the Secunia PSI Manual (only in English atm) ; go Dashboard -> Learn More -> Secunia PSI Manual ??

1) There is absolutely no reason to downgrade to 1.5.x versions of the PSI to resolve this situation in version 2.0 as expressed by the OP (@DAB268) .

2)You have a few choices within the PSI 2.0 which work perfectly well :-

a)Deselect the "auto-update" option , either during installation or after installing via Dashboard -> Configuration -> Settings :
or
b)leave the "auto-updating" selected and choose/select "prompt before running automatic program updates" ; this means you must approve the update for it to happen :
and/or
c)go to each programme's display in the Scan Results" page where it is set to "auto-update" (excluding Windows apps.) , double click the entry or click the [+] to the left and double click the "detected instance" , if there is a language option it will be displayed in the new/splash window allowing you to select your preferred language version ; bear in mind that the "default" is always English and not your system/programme's language .

This works very well and is a boon to many "non-technical" users of the PSI and it uses the vendors own specifically selected installer ; even if , by habit/preference I prefer to use the programme's internal updater when it is available .

Traffic in this Forum would seem to confirm the usefulness of the "A-U" set up for the "average" user , especially if it gets them updated when/where they might hesitate otherwise .

I hope that is clear .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
xyzzy RE: Language problem
Member 9th Mar, 2011 18:28
Score: -17
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 9th Mar, 2011 18:55
on 9th Mar, 2011 17:18, Anthony Wells wrote:
Your post is confusing the issue

No, it confirmed it, the German mozilla FF is not the only case, the German mozilla TB was also affected. Of course I looked in the manual when I tested PSI 2.0 weeks ago, but if there was a warning about the auto-update feature I admittedly missed it.

There is absolutely no reason to downgrade to 1.5.x versions of the PSI to resolve this situation

This was the second of my two suggestions, "disable auto-update" was the first. For me downgrade was better, I get the same stable UI as on a W2K box. When I ported everything I need from W2K to the new box I'll test 2.x again.

In fact I kept 2.x on the box with the German TB (family - they wouldn't like the "new PSI available" popup by 1.5) and disabled auto-update, only on my own two boxes I prefer the good old UI.

Yes, there are various ways to disable auto-update or bypass known issues, thanks for your 2a + 2b + 2c list. For the family box I picked 2a, they anyway expect me to do (trivial) "admin" tasks when I visit them. Typically that means checking PSI and resolve all reported issues.

bear in mind that the "default" is always English and not your system/programme's language

Good to know. Clearly I missed that important detail. Actually I wouldn't care what TB language UI I get on my boxes, but my family needs the German UI on their box.

It's an established principle that new features should never surprise users:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_as...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Mar, 2011 19:41
Last edited on 9th Mar, 2011 19:43
Hello again ,

on 9th Mar, 2011 18:28, xyzzy wrote:

It's an established principle that new features should never surprise users:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_as...

Would that "Pola" was "established" so that young "webmasters?!" understood how their more aged bretheren think , see and behave ; but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen any time soon :(((

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability