Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI version updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
onedeafeye PSI version updates
Member 5th Mar, 2011 10:24
Ranking: 2
User Since: 11th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
I did a manual scan tonight and PSI wouldn't connect to the internet. It just hung on "Verifying internet connection". So I looked in the forums and found that a possible fix would be to update to a newer version (I had 2.0.01003, I think). So I updated to the latest version, identified only as 2.0 on the update page, and the problem was solved. And hence my question: Is there an easy way to find out if PSI has a newer version? The only information I could find (after a lot of reading in the forums and looking over the website) was to check the changelog. There should be an easier way than that, either through a link on PSI itself or on the right-click menu from the system tray icon. Or am I missing something?

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI version updates
Handling Contributor 5th Mar, 2011 10:49
Score: 11580
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
No - U are not missing anything. Your valid comment has been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum on numerous occasions.

Due to priority commitments the Secunia Staff are not as active as normal on the Forum at the moment.

As an interim measure I have volunteered to collate all "Good Ideas" & programme enhancements raised on the Forum by users to prevent them becoming "lost"!

Please note I do not work for Secunia therefore cannot promise a fix. I can however promise that your valid observation will be forwarded to them with others I have noted.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Anthony Wells RE: PSI version updates
Expert Contributor 5th Mar, 2011 11:57
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 12:00
Hello Maurice ,

In the light of version .3001 being originally a bug fix and a "non-essential"update turning/becoming essential for many more users , following the server wobblems of last weekend and with the limited input from Support , I was thinking of posting a thread to cover and group the following points :-

1)The psi does security updates , all versions currently available are secure ; by these , it's own rules , the PSI does not "auto-update" itself .

2)The installed version is shown on the PSI "Scan Results" page and in the right click menu (see "About") of the PSI tray icon ; it is also found by mousing over the .exe files in the\Secunia\PSI\.. folder in the main Program Files folder .

3)the latest version is always (crosses fingers) found by clicking the "Download PSI" link at the top right of this and other Secunia webpages ; this shows only 2.0 but dates the latest version which can then be seen in the "Changelog" which has its's link in the lhs of the same page .

4)Downloading the "latest" installer and saving (to Desktop for example) lets you mouse over the file and confirm the version you are about to install .

5)the latest installer should remove the previous version for you ; deleting individual files here and there can cause problems , if you need/insist to do things manually at least try the "uninstall.exe" file in the PSI folder

In view of this thread and your response , perhaps you could create or arrange a similar "sticky" under an appropriate banner :eg: how to check/keep your PSI up to date".

Just a thought with so many threads and anxious members posting to the Forum .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Handling Contributor 5th Mar, 2011 12:22
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 13:31
Anthony,
Thank U. I have got all that but I have no mandate to create a pinned item to the Forum therefore will suggest it to Secunia via my list.

Edit: In the interim it can only be helpful to create your own thread for the few having issues.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
onedeafeye RE: PSI version updates
Member 5th Mar, 2011 20:50
Score: 2
User Since: 11th Jun 2009
@ Anthony - A user shouldn't have to download the 'latest' version and then check to see if, in fact, it really is a newer version. Secunia is the only program on my computer that does that. The rest can be checked through FileHippo or from a link somewhere on the program itself for the latest version, or can be set to self-update. My 'non-essential' update turned out to be very essential (in fact, if I had seen a newer version I would have updated and this thread wouldn't exist) so maybe labelling an update as essential or non-essential isn't the best route. Let the user decide if it's essential or not. And this isn't about Secunia's security, it's about being able to see if other programs are secure or not, so it would be in Secunia's best interests to have a program that is as up-to-date as possible to those ends. Also, part of security best-practices is to make sure you have the latest version of any programs. It seems kind of contradictory that a program such as this makes you hunt for the latest version - it should be obvious. In previous versions there was a bar across the bottom of the program that gave the version and notified of any update. Is that so difficult to continue?
@ Maurice - Thanks for the offer to collect all these ideas. It's unfortunate that you can't pin them. You said that this was a problem that had been mentioned before in the forums. Last night I looked through the forums as far back as three months ago and found nothing. If it was posted, I missed it.
It just shouldn't be this hard to find the current version. On the program download page label the update completely, not just 2.0. That would be an easy minimum I would think. I can find the version on my own computer easily enough, and I can then decide to update or not.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: PSI version updates
Expert Contributor 6th Mar, 2011 19:10
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@onedeafeye ,

Not sure why you are reiterating your point to me ; Maurice has already answered you .

If you will , the PSI is a free offshoot of Secunia's commercial products and has limited direct tech support ; the Community Forum is designed to take up the strain with input from Secunia as when their time permits (variable) . ATM Support are very busy elsewhere , as Maurice has stated above , as a consequence my post was/is intended to help those with an existing problem and not fulfil a wish list (however relevant).

The PSI only checks for vulnerabilities and programmes' security updates/patches : bug fixes and eye candy changes are not of interest ; whether/how these are relevant to security is debatable and a subjective judgement and is likely very dependent on the user's capabilities - "if it ain't broke , don't fix it" versus "if it ain't broke , tweak it some more" .

I can confirm that updating/version # identification is often raised in the Forum and was largely extant during Beta testing (hence my post to this thread) ; for the moment until Secunia find the time and finance for the developers to come up with something new , let's try to help those with a "major" problem (:eg: your internet connection) overcome that ongoing problem - excepting rewriting the PSI programme .

Hope that is clearer .

take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Handling Contributor 7th Mar, 2011 18:37
As promised I raised the issue with Secunia Support of looking at providing more detailed information about downloading PSI generally & providing a user "Check For Update" link within the programme.

They have got the issue under consideration so it may well feature in future updates of the programme itself & the websites affected.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability