Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Foxit Reader JPEG2000/JBIG Decoder Add-On 2.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Foxit Corporation
And, this specific program:
Foxit Reader JPEG2000/JBIG Decoder Add-On 2.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Helenius Foxit Reader JPEG2000/JBIG Decoder Add-On 2.x
Member 6th Mar, 2011 22:08
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Mar, 2011
System Score: N/A

---START---

Program Name:
Foxit Reader JPEG2000/JBIG Decoder Add-On 2.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:
http://mirrors.foxitsoftware.com/pub/foxit/reader/...

Instances Found:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Documenti\FoxitReader30_enu \fxdecod1.dll, version: 2.0.2008.715

The problem is:I already installed Foxit 4.3,that is detected Patched(is the latest version).But Secunia PSI 2.0 still detect this Insecure addon from a previous version of Foxit,and I don't know how to get access to the folder \Documents and Settings\Administrator to remove it.Probably is a Windows protected folder.I'm the administrator of PC,O.S. XP SP3.

Thanks to everyone will provide some helpful info.

Anthony Wells RE: Foxit Reader JPEG2000/JBIG Decoder Add-On 2.x
Expert Contributor 6th Mar, 2011 22:21
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th Mar, 2011 22:25
Hi ,

If you click the [+] to the left of the programme display on the results page , you should see two yellowish folder icons to the left end of the "displayed instance" , the one without the red blob is the "open folder" icon ; click on this to go to the recalcitrant file .

Alternatively in the window which displays the troubleshoot links in the toolbox , etc . you can right click the displayed instance in the lower (3rd) module and select "open folder" .

Does that help ??

Anthony

PS: if you want to find "hidden files and folders using XP , you can reveal them :-

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsu...

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Helenius RE: Foxit Reader JPEG2000/JBIG Decoder Add-On 2.x
Member 7th Mar, 2011 12:32
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Mar 2011
Hi,
thanks for your reply.I already tried everything you suggested,but folder doesn't open.Besides,I noticed if I go in Start/All Programs there is no Windows Explorer option.Is that normal?

However,I can get the setting window from Folder Options in My Documents window toolbar,and I selected "Show hidden....".At the moment the folder is still locked.I will reboot with the new setting applied and I will check again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Mar, 2011 13:52
Last edited on 7th Mar, 2011 14:10
Hi ,

Here is a quick tutorial on finding , opening and using Windows Explorer *** ; this site may help you with other things :-

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/windows-xp-tuto...

The regular/prescribed user of XP is usually automatically logged in as the Admin unless you have selected another profile with reduced rights for example (for security purposes) .

Can you see the "hidden files" yet , they will be in paler more transparently coloured folders .

EDIT : on my PC the ..\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.. folder is not hidden but most of the folders/files inside it are hidden .

Let us know your progress .

Anthony

NOTE *** : it's in "Accessories" within All Programs .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 8th Mar, 2011 13:27

Hi there ,

How are you getting along ??

Are you sorted , or do you need more help ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Mar, 2011 12:33
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2011 12:35
Hi,thanks for posting the tutorial.Anyway,even if I go in Documents and Settings\Administrator from Windows Explorer the folder is locked(besides,there is no the sign "+" on his left!).

So,I started XP in Safe Mode,and I discovered an interesting thing...In the login page appeared 2 user account;1 with my user name,1 called Administrator.I have been a little surprised at first,because I'm the administrator of the PC,and infact the password is the same for both.But if I login with Administrator the folder "Documents and Set...\Administrator\.."is not locked;just some folder inside it are not accessible,and there are some transparent ones as well(same situation described from you).

Now,the file I want to delete are in Document and Settings\Administrator\Documents,that is locked;but if I go with the mouse over the folder icon it appears "Folder is empty",although it seems it's not....

I'm thinking about trying to delete the folder Documents (inside Administrator),even if I don't know if the action will be allowed from system.I'm not sure as well if it safe or not.

Comments and\or suggestions,if any,are welcome

Regards
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Mar, 2011 13:12

Hi ,

When I use "Safe Mode" , i am also offered the choice of Admin or my named user Account(s) , but usually everything I do is possible using my user name account ; I cannot remember needing to log-in as Administrator for a specific task but again my name user account is not restricted either and no passwords are set .

When you get to your problem Foxit Reader document will it let you right click it and select "rename" in one or other Account ??

When you say there is no [+] sign , the one I refer to is the one(s) on the PSI "Scan Results" page at the left end of each programme entry ; you click it to expand the/any programme entry and it "expands" to show the "detected instance(s)" ; at the left end are two of the yellowish/beige folder icons , one for ignore the programme (with a red blob) and the second to open the folder .

If you double click the entry itself (or the detected instance) you get a splash window where you get the Quick Facts and the Toolbox sections ; along the bottom is again the "detected instance" , if you right click this entry you will see a menu with the "open folder" option . Does clicking this work to open the folder ??

I am busy today so may not be back until tomorrow . Don't worry , if you cannot get to the folder , the bad guys will also find it difficult and so any "risk/danger" is likely to be extremely small .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 12th Mar, 2011 13:26
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2011 13:29
Hi ,

When I use "Safe Mode" , i am also offered the choice of Admin or my named user Account(s) , but usually everything I do is possible using my user name account ; I cannot remember needing to log-in as Administrator for a specific task but again my name user account is not restricted either and no passwords are set .

When you get to your problem Foxit Reader document will it let you right click it and select "rename" in one or other Account ??

EDIT ***When you say the folder is locked , what "message" exactly are you given ??

When you say there is no [+] sign , the one I refer to is the one(s) on the PSI "Scan Results" page at the left end of each programme entry ; you click it to expand the/any programme entry and it "expands" to show the "detected instance(s)" ; at the left end are two of the yellowish/beige folder icons , one for ignore the programme (with a red blob) and the second to open the folder .

If you double click the entry itself (or the detected instance) you get a splash window where you get the Quick Facts and the Toolbox sections ; along the bottom is again the "detected instance" , if you right click this entry you will see a menu with the "open folder" option . Does clicking this work to open the folder ??

I am busy today so may not be back until tomorrow . Don't worry , if you cannot get to the folder , the bad guys will also find it difficult and so any "risk/danger" is likely to be extremely small .

Anthony

*** Sorry - Have just edited my previous and my entire post has repeated itself here - don't know why

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Mar, 2011 14:01
Oh,I think you misunderstood some things.I'm not talking about PSI at all;I know all options and pages,and there is no way to open the folder from Secunia PSI.

There is no the sign "+" if I go to Documents and Settings\Administrator in Windows Explorer.

The message I got is :"Documents and Settings\Administrator\Documents is not accessible.

Access denied."

Please note,the folder is Documents(inside Documents and Settings\Administrator),no Foxit Reader document.
But the Foxit files(there is also a Foxit3: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Documents\FoxitReader30_enu \Foxit Reader.exe, version 3.0.2008.1120 from a previous version as well) are inside this folder.

About security,I'm not worried.I'm running the last version of Kaspersky Internet Security,with Protection Settings in Interactive Mode;it means a pop-up inform of every changes is going on in my PC,and I can allow or block it.I can make other actions as well,if the situation is bad.

Anyway,I'm thinking about trying to delete the folder Documents(I mean the folder inside Documents and Settings\Administrator,of course).Do you think it's safe or there could be some system files inside?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Mar, 2011 14:50

Hi there ,

I understand your descriptions fine .

Just a small point , the pathway in your first post (copied from the PSI Troubleshoot Report) shows the folder name as "Documenti" while you refer to it as "Documents" in your last post . You need to be exactly sure of the folder's name as displayed in the PSI and what you are looking at in Explorer .

I would not want to "delete" any folder without knowing what exactly was inside it . You say that there is a Foxit 3 file also listed as well as the "insecure" foxit version 2.0 file in "Document(*?)" folder ; I presume you have this information from the PSI .

Do you have/can you see any other files in the "Document(*?)" folder .

Here is a link to an M$ page dealing with the "Access Denied" problem , which may apply yo you ; give it a try to see if it helps you :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Busy again today , but will try to check back later .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Mar, 2011 15:59
Last edited on 15th Mar, 2011 16:00
Sincerely thanks,Anthony.I knew something about the procedure in Microsoft support article(authorization,complete control,changing owner user name,settings...),but I was not thinking about it at all!

Anyway,the folder that Displayed"Folder is empty" after the procedure displayed 1,15 GB!It was full of old stuff,from a previous installation of XP with a different owner name(it was always me,of course,but not recognized).

After cleaning useless and obsolete file,the folder is now around 95 MB and Secunia System Score 100%!

Thanks again!

Regards
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Mar, 2011 16:36

Wow , that's some "empty folder" with 1.15GB inside . I think you need to have words with your mouse and that icon - "Folder is empty" indeed :))

Glad to hear that you got to the bottom of things and are back to 100% ; it's impossible to deal with/keep in mind all things Windows on your own - I always need help/advice .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability