Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: C++2005 problem not resolved

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

This thread has been marked as resolved.
lindzog C++2005 problem not resolved
Member 8th Mar, 2011 21:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi

I checked in at this old thread tonight

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/677...

to see if anyone had resolved the c++2005 issue, only to find the thread had been locked. Seems to me that no-one had actually established a proper fix (ie one that didnt involve renaming files.) I've done several Windows Updates since but mine is still being reported as vulnerable by Secunia.
Shouldn't threads stay active until there is a fix? Perhaps the post original poster fixed his? But mine certainly isnt"

:(

--
Lindzog

Post "RE: C++2005 problem not resolved" has been selected as an answer.
Saucer419 RE: C++2005 problem not resolved
Member 8th Mar, 2011 21:57
Score: 7
User Since: 8th Mar 2011
Same problem here on a Dell with win 7 64 bit

Microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable package (x86)

I click on the install for secunia but still get the file is missing and needs updating.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: C++2005 problem not resolved
Dedicated Contributor 8th Mar, 2011 21:57
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
I just had this on a system. Downloading from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx... solved the problem.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
lindzog RE: C++2005 problem not resolved
Member 8th Mar, 2011 22:05
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Jan 2009
tks. I dont know which of those downloads is for my notebook. My notebook is an HP 64 bit running Windows 7. However, Ive a feeling that page was mentioned on the previous posting on this subject and I tried the one that was recommended but to no avail. At least as Ive posted the issue myself this time, there is no risk of this thread being closed (hopefully) until we actually have a solution, which, (again hopefully) Microsoft might provide.

rgds
L

--
Lindzog
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: C++2005 problem not resolved
Dedicated Contributor 8th Mar, 2011 22:50
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
The x86 version is for 32bit system; x64 for 64bit systems (ignore IA64). 64 bit systems may need both for compatibility. Check whether it's in Program Files, Program Files(x86) or both. I did a restart and a full scan afterwards.

Another user had success uninstalling all 2005 redistributables, checking the dll's had gone, deleting them if not and then reinstalling from the download.

All this is just to keep PSI happy. If you don't redistribute the redistributable yourself, you are secure if Microsoft Update is up to date.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: C++2005 problem not resolved
Expert Contributor 8th Mar, 2011 22:59
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
I've just updated via the link within psi....it removed the old and installed, no problem....but I had to restart/rescan for it to show .

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Saucer419 RE: C++2005 problem not resolved
Member 8th Mar, 2011 23:03
Score: 7
User Since: 8th Mar 2011
Thanks, ddmarshal. I just installed vcredist_x64.exe from this link you gave http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx... and now have no insecure programs according to Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lindzog RE: C++2005 problem not resolved
Member 8th Mar, 2011 23:19
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Jan 2009
Well thank you ddmarshall, because, guess what? - mine is fixed too. :}
I really dont know why. I had done this download of the 64 file before. In fact, previously I uninstalled all the C++2005 and reinstalled them from the link mentinoed in the previous post (which I think is the same as the one you provided) but it was to no avail. This time though it has worked.
I didnt see it work because I got no obvious notification from PSI that it had been patched. I just rebooted and rescanned and this time I noticed, (even before the scan had started) that my score had increased. I dont quite have 100 percent, just 99, courtesy of a supposedly end of life Cyblerlink Powerstarter 6.x, which came bundled with my year old notebook and has never been used. I see from a Forum search that Im not alone. I think its ridiculous that these companies seem to stop supporting their software very quickly, in order to force users to purchase an upgrade. But im digressing and really ought to open a new thread for a rant about this. Anyway, im well chuffed to have the C++2005 problem fixed. So thanks again for the suggestion. I would suggest that anyone else like me, who previously found none of the measures successful, tries ddmarshall's link because you might have better luck now.

--
Lindzog
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability