Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI reports insecure program, wants to install OLDER version

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

This thread has been marked as locked.
paranoiddelusions PSI reports insecure program, wants to install OLDER version
Member 11th Mar, 2011 13:44
Ranking: 2
User Since: 4th Apr, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 11th Mar, 2011 13:46

Yesterday, following a series of Microsoft-initiated patches, PSI reported my PC still 100%. On start-up today, it's reporting 1 program insecure, BUT the version number I have installed is HIGHER than the one PSI wants installed:
"The version detected of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) (64-bit) was 8.0.50727.762 while the latest version including one or more security fixes is 8.0.50727.4053"

Unless one is using "new math" .762 is more recent than .4053, right?

As I vaguely recall, this happened last year for some patch, and all we could do is sit and put up with warnings until PSI fixed something on their end.

Troubleshoot Report for:

Program Name:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) (64-bit)

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/B/B/6BB66...

Instances Found:
C:\msdia80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.762

Last System Scan (localtime):
11. Mar 2011, 07:20

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,
---END---

ddmarshall RE: PSI reports insecure program, wants to install OLDER version
Dedicated Contributor 11th Mar, 2011 15:01
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
The latest version is 4053. 4053 was still larger than 762 last time I checked.
See if this helps http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/778...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
paranoiddelusions RE: PSI reports insecure program, wants to install OLDER version
Member 11th Mar, 2011 23:44
Score: 2
User Since: 4th Apr 2010
Thanks, DD,
If so, that is a different naming convention than I'm used to where the decimal system allows books (dewey), pages or updates/modifications to fit in after a higher number has begun. i.e., anything beginning with .4 is earlier than anything starting with .7, so .762 would more recent than any .4nnnn. Can't believe that in all these years I've never noticed Microsoft treating decimals as whole "larger" numbers. Maybe I'm getting senile.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dedicated Contributor 12th Mar, 2011 01:18
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2011 01:23
I wouldn't claim to understand Microsoft's numbering system but, in this case, I think it's just a build number. If you look in Windows Update History, you may see a similar numbering system being used for definition updates for Defender and Security Essentials.

Just had a look at your original post again. Unless you have edited the file path, msdia80.dll seems to be in an unusual position.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
paranoiddelusions RE: PSI reports insecure program, wants to install OLDER version
Member 12th Mar, 2011 01:59
Score: 2
User Since: 4th Apr 2010
Good catch, DD. Nope, didn't edit, that's where the file sits. Scanned C: and found a second instance of msdia80.dll in the MSFT shared path

PLUS

found a note to self that this .dll was involved in that problem to which I alluded in my first post.
Back in Aug2010, Secunia tried to get me/us to install msdia90.dll (or maybe the entire Visual C++ Redistribution Pkg) but then kept reporting msdia80.dll as an insecurity.
Several attempts to install didn't work. (I believe there was a forum thread on this by others because someone noticed a date modified discrepancy)
Can't recall how it was resolved but all's worked fine until today when, once again, Secunia's raising an alarm about that bloody C++ package.
Will try to install the solution asap. I am so sick and tired of this crappy Vista, but don't have the energy or time to waste installing win7 or 8 or whatever MSFT is touting now only to have the PC blow up on me.
Thanks for your assist.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dedicated Contributor 12th Mar, 2011 10:31
You are right that PSI is only satisfied when you install the complete redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx... . The update KB973923 doesn't replace msdia80.dll which is the file PSI uses to detect the version. The system is secure if KB973923 is installed and you can leave it as it is if you are not bothered about your system score being 100%.

In your case, I wouldn't expect downloading the redistributable to have any effect on the file that has somehow ended up in your root directory.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
RxDdude RE: PSI reports insecure program, wants to install OLDER version
Member 13th Mar, 2011 05:51
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Aug 2009
It seems pretty consistent in the software world, that the numbering is treated as a (sort of a) Serial No., and Microsoft has been consistent in that convention.

When a s/w publisher wants to retain a major revision no. while upgrading with relatively minor patches or changes to the major product (exa.g., Windows 3, Adobe Flash Player Plugin v10.2), then the publisher ordinarily sets off the lesser revision's change no. (or, build no.) with a dot '.' (exa.g., Windows 3.1, Adobe Flash Player Plugin v10.2.152.26 followed quickly by v10.2.152.32).

This is my own deduction, based on empirical observation of the common behavior of the industry.

However! I must admit that Microsoft did abrogate this convention in 1992 or 1993 when releasing the workgroups upgrade of Windows 3.1, by releasing this as Windows 3.11. Since that era, I think that the serial no. rule has generally prevailed, and this regular rule has contributed to minimizing confusion. I am thankful to Microsoft, Adobe, Mozilla, Symantec, McAfee, even AOL and Yahoo! and all the others for their having adopted consistency in this and certain other practices.

--
R&DDude
========================================
All I really need to know in life, I learned from the
theory of relativity!
--------------------------------------------
“Everything should be completed as soon as possible.
And, not sooner.”
– attributed to Al Einstein
============================================
HP Pavilion a1020n / Win XP Pro SP3 (x86) / AMI BIOS 3.19
Intel P4 519J 3.06 GHz / 2 GB DDR2 PC-4200
140 GB free on System partition
Firefox 3.6.15 / NoScript 2.0.9.9 / M$ IE 8.0 (rarely used)
Comodo IS 2011 v5.3 / M$ Security Essentials v1.99.1103.0
============================================
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability