Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: multiple windows

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
jockeyson multiple windows
Member 12th Mar, 2011 05:55
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Jul, 2010
System Score: N/A
every time i click on Internet explorer it opens 2-3-4- windows at a time.All software is 100% secure with 63 patched programs. Have reset IE to default levels. have run ie 7 with no-add ons, have run malwarebytes-nothing-Glary utilities-nothing.windows defender-nothing- have reset mouse to defaults--speed up-slow down, have uninstalled and reinstalled jave, cant figure out what is making ie7 open multiple windows, any suggestions? have also run House Calls by trend Micro..and it put a jave package in the vault but says it is a low risk.........so what now?

Post "RE: multiple windows" has been selected as an answer.
puget1 RE: multiple windows
Member 12th Mar, 2011 08:40
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2011 08:54
@jockeyson

This might help:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Manage...

The above is the fix if not involving PSI. I think what you are referring to,, is a needed adjustment
with in windows and not a virus,malware or adware. Here is a link MS malicious software removal tool: http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malw...
It can't hurt. Luck

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
jockeyson RE: multiple windows
Member 12th Mar, 2011 09:44
User Since: 23rd Jul 2010
I know how to manage my windows when they are open. Thanks. What I was trying to say is when I click on IE 7 three windows or more open . Only one window should open. not 3. It is doing the same thing when I switch over and use chrome..that is the weird part, and yet all my tools can find no virus,adware/maleware/trojans etc. When I click on a browser I only want one widow to open and it is opening multiple windows. Thanks for your help though.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Mar, 2011 20:37
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2011 21:11
Need info on your system . (XP ?)running IE7? I think you are having a plugin conflict. Just what is conflicted is the question. Was there ever a time that the system was running correct with both browsers? If so try a system restore or uninstalling the Chrome browser. See how it runs.. What does your event viewer say? If Vista try problems and solutions.
If still convinced it's a virus malware/adware try these down loads.
Here is a link for trend micro Hijack this:http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ This works great but is time consuming in that you will go through every file checking it. Here is a link for Bleeping computerhttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
You haven't use this "windows trouble remover" it is fake! it is a virus! . Read report. About the only item I could come up with. You might want to read through:http://www.myantispyware.com/2011/03/12/how-to-rem... Luck

--

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Mar, 2011 22:45
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
Processer Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.620 GHz 1.6 GHz
2GB RAM 32 bit operating System

Problem Reports and Solutions is just about useless although it does record how many times I've had problems with IE 7. It never has any solutions. LOL.. I currently have Avast AV after I took out Norton which was a resource hog IMO and I got tired of paying for it as it came bundled with computer.It is funny you mentioned Bleeping Computer site because I went there a few years back, when I deleted an AOL exe. file I needed and had deleted not knowing I still needed it for other files to work correctly. Have tried the Hijackthis by Trend Micro which is how I found about House Call By Trend Micro. Did a complete Scan which was 5+ hours ,it found nothing and I have scanned in Safe Mode also so could check out different avenues and also did boot scans. I will try the uninstall of Chrome and see what happens. It has to be just a process of fiddiling with this and trying that, it is just frustrating to try to open the browser and have 3-4 windows open all going to my home page. Than have to close 3 windows before I can proceed with what I was going to do.I have a funny feeling it has something to do with Norton/Symantec being uninstalled. From what I've read they are famous for hiding and embedding sneaky little files DEEP into the system. Make little things aggravate you just enough to go back to them, I have deleted every thing I could find pertaing to them although I have not gone into the "System" part of the drive and it did come pre-installed so there are traces of files in there I'm sure. Thank You for your help. I hesitate to do System restore as there are work related files I have added recently and would have to restore to before they were added. If I have to I will burn a current disc... and than Restore. I can still navigate...it's just a pain in the butt and frustrates me. Thanks again for your help....... Terry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Mar, 2011 23:19
Last edited on 13th Mar, 2011 01:11
I emphasize with you. Been there. Here is a download that might help. It is very interesting and I picked it up in the forum. It has two settings 1. for removal of a complete application and 2 to hunt for left over files. It is specifically designed for removal of ant-viruses ,malware and adware programs. Norton by Symantic is a bear to do a regedit on. If it doesn't help and you need to do a regedit I have info on that too.

http://www.appremover.com/

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Mar, 2011 23:06
Downloaded and ran Appsremover and it ran and it found nothing. I tried uninstall/reinstall Chrome...no change........ thought maybe if I insatlled IE 8 (which I dont want) and than uninstalled it , thinking maybe it would re-configue settings in Ie 7 that maybe I missed when I reset internet explorer and ran with no add ons , but all that was for nothing. It is still the same. I don't know if I am comfortable doing a reg-edit or not. While I am self taught and feel I know a lot about computers, by todays standards there are 12 year olds that know more about computers than i do, I'm sure. On a scale of 1-10 I am probably a 7 , but still a rookie in the "DEEP" workings of the computer and have to go to forums like Bleeping Computers or here to talk to someone who knows more that I do and willing to give me step by step instructions . Am not sure what I am going to do about this, but have made up my mind, that I am not going back to Norton. I, more than likely WE, will get it figured out sooner or later. I am learning as I go and when I/We get this figured out. I may be able to help someone else in return or just retain the knowledge. Thank You for your help and I am open to suggestions although I may be too "Chicken" to try some of them without some detailed instructions and someone to "Hold my hand"........Ha Ha.....Thanks Again Terry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Mar, 2011 02:17
Last edited on 15th Mar, 2011 02:33
Before we go on to the regedit, lets check How much free space you have. Go to My Computer Right click on C drive go down to properties left click. You will see a graph of c drive. How much blue to pink do you have? Had similar problem with friends p.c. Also verify that there is no program file for Norton or Symantic left in Program files.
Also have I.T. friend looking into it

O.K here are those instructions per Maurice Joyce Handling Contributor(Whom I learned from) All credit due.

You can hold your cursor over highlighted items and verify that they are Norton or Symantic before deleting

!!!ALTHOUGH A FAIRLY SIMPLE ACTION IF U ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE REGISTRY U ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO BACK IT UP BEFORE TINKERING OR POST BACK WHAT U FIND FOR MORE ADVICE "BEFORE!" DELETION.!!!

Cleaning Registry in XP per Maurice Joyce

Maurice Joyce RE: Cannot install update 18th Feb, 2011 20:54 Score: 5154
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Try this - the folders to look for are called both Norton and Symantic
CLEARING UP LEFTOVERS FROM AN UNINSTALL USING THE REGISTRY

**will require two separate regedit as one for Norton & one for Symantic

Clearing up any dross that may remain in the Registry after an uninstall is a fairly simple affair.

IT IS IMPORTANT U FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. TINKERING IN THE REGISTRY BEYOND THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BELOW AND GETTING IT WRONG CAN,IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, CAUSE A SEVERE LOSS OF HUMOUR AFTER A RESTART AND WINDOWS REFUSES TO BOOT! IT IS WRITTEN FOR A COMPLETE NOVICE USER.

1. Opening REGEDIT

a. XP Users - Go to Start>Run>in the box that appears type regedit>click OK on the box>U are now in the Registry.
b. Vista & Windows 7 Users - Click Start>typeregeditin the search box>REGEDIT.EXE will appear at the top of the list>click it>from the prompt allow the programme to run>U are now in the Registry.

2. Finding the correct key to modify - it is the same procedure for ALL versions of Windows.

a.Look in the LEFT pane for the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER>expand the key by clicking on the arrow to the left.

c.Look for SOFTWARE>expand that key by clicking the arrow. All the programmes installed (and no doubt many more U thought U had uninstalled) on the PC are exposed.

LEFT click on the folder of the programme U wish to remove. When U click on any key it is normal that the "nitty gritty" elements of that folder are exposed in the right hand pane for U to double check that is the programme U wish to remove.
Once satisfied U have found the data RIGHT click the folder in the LEFT pane & delete.

Now navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>expand to SOFTWARE & repeat the procedure U have just done.

It is worth spending a bit of time with these two keys as there could be other dross in there. JUST BE VERY CAREFUL & ONLY REMOVE PROGRAMMES U ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE ARE NO LONGER INSTALLED ON YOUR PC. IF UNSURE ASK BEFORE DELETING.

If U have removed extra dross have U cleared it from both HKEY areas? U should not be alarmed if some programmes are in one HKEY & not in the other.

If happy,exit the registry by clicking the red X (top right).

Reboot.

It is advised that you download CCleaner to finish-up with and clean-up after completing the reg-edit Download:http://ccleaner.en.softonic.com/ You will use both the cleaner and registry cleaner.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: multiple windows
Handling Contributor 15th Mar, 2011 11:56
Score: 11720
@puget1
If U are going to copy my research can u please put it within quotes. I do NOT want my name linking with any third party ALLEGED REGISTRY CLEANERS.

I do not recommend them & I am a firm believer that anyone who recommends them as a solution to a problem should be prepared to pick up the full costs for professional help to any corruptions they cause.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 16th Mar, 2011 00:09
Last edited on 16th Mar, 2011 01:19
@jockeyman

I would suspect settings in the browser causing that unexpected behavior.. So, I would propose doing s second look at browser settings This from my I.t friend, which was the original route we were going. Note: I have used Glary and liked what it could do. However, it finally came in Conflict with Open Office. Tell me your are not using Open Office because that may be the problem. That you have had your browser setting changed without your knowledge. If running Open Office, uninstall Glary,and open office, restart and re-install Open Office.

Post Script: the use of CCleaner and Registry cleaner are "MY" suggestion alone. Always back yourself up. The decision is purely discretionary. There are those who do use them and those who do not. Apologies to Maurice Joyce.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1

jockeyson

RE: multiple windows
[+]
This reply has been deleted

jockeyson

RE: multiple windows
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Member 17th Mar, 2011 11:15
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2011 12:21
@jockeyson

**I believe that Secunia does not like program files to be put out over the net, as it poses a security threat**

I must confess reading files is not a forte of mine. However, I do see that you use a lot of utility services. This could be potentially conflicting and if registry cleaning is a part of all them could really foul things up. It is probably why the Handling contributor hates them so much, besides repairing damaged p.c.'s. CCleaner is all I ever use and in "MY" instance has never caused any grief(knock on wood). The Magicjack(?) poss. in the form of electrical feed-back or interference. If you have Dsl then you should be aware about filtering all phone lines except the one your p.c. connects to.
You should have adequate free space. No problem there. Give your system a rest and see if it settles down and go ahead and re-install Open Office. Reverify that you have adequate free space, as the hard drive needs to be able to access the files. If you know how to defragment ,it may not hurt to run one. I believe you stated that the problem has ceased for at least two hours. Hopefully, the problem is rectified and I will stand by for the all clear. Luck!!!
P,S. I ran through the files again and have some serious question as to this entry:
23 - Service: Portrait Displays SDK Service (PdiService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Portrait Displays\Drivers\pdisrvc.exe (file missing)
Upon Googling it, it appears to poss. be a Trojan Hopefully you can dig a little more. Have inquiry in for second opinion.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: multiple windows
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 13:58
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2011 14:03
hi ,

If I may butt in ,

"23 - Service: Portrait Displays SDK Service (PdiService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Portrait Displays\Drivers\pdisrvc.exe (file missing)"

is a common entry on HiJackThis logs .

This may help :-

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/pdis...

this link contains advertising for registy checking/cleaning ; I am one of those who does NOT recommend them ; even if I have no problem with the default registry check offered by CCleaner .

If it helps , I had a mouse go berserk , but it tended to open multiple events of anything it touched and the machine became uncontrollable -it's now on a low cheese diet .

I think that you are probably along the right lines of a registry/IE settings error or the most original thought of an OOo/GGL/utility cleaner conflict .

Secunia are against posting to the Forum any part of a/their log file(s) as the contain confidential info ; Hijackthis files are posted in many Fora , but I cannot speak for any their levels of display of confidential data , but I would suggest prudence .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
fbshines RE: multiple windows
Member 17th Mar, 2011 15:29
Score: 1
User Since: 17th Mar 2011
One thing I need to know is are you Left-mouse single clicking one time the icon.
Internet explorer just needs a SINGLE click to open. A lot of people double click it, which opens 2 windows and then when its slow they click again thinking one click might not have worked. OTHERWISE go to Administrative Tools / Event Viewer and it should tell you the problems. Also you could check System Information in System Tools / Software/ windows error reporting.

--
fbshines
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Mar, 2011 16:13
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2011 16:28
@Anthony Wells & fbshines

I think we're about there. It is a curious entry at most but I'll accept your word on it. Hope the system settles down and they can re-install open office. we'll await their word on it Thanks both

I do kind of find this interesting and this is why I do use CCleaner registry.
. Uninstalling applications can leave registry keys that bloat your registry. We recommend you scan your registry for fragmented and obsolete entries.
Per Anthony's Link

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: multiple windows
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 16:37
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Sales gobbledegook Puget1 ; a "bulky" registry "may" eventually slow down your system if it is ageing and decrepit , but letting some unknown person/application have free reign to carve and swathe and run rough shod is not a choice I would ever make for myself and consequently never for others .

A controlled surgeon/surgery as per Maurice's very specific directions are fine if you/one is in control .

Otherwise Caveat Emptor and don't come crying over spilt milk when the pan boils over :(((

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 18:34
I am assuming U have an HP Monitor.

Portrait Display comes preinstalled on some HP monitors & if U are lucky with a backup (reinstall) disk.

The vendor is here:

http://www.portrait.com/enu/pivot/overview.html

The monitor will work without it installed but it does have some nice features to alighn your PC with the monitor. Looks like U have uninstalled it or a cleaner has removed some of the drivers.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Mar, 2011 21:05
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2011 23:07
@jockeyson

In "MY" case, I have a re-install disk. I don't bounce around or use multiple cleaners, I stick to CCleaner and I always back myself.

Jockeyson your P.C is yours, how you want to use it, and what you want to install is your decision. Guess that is why they call it a personal computer. I do believe in both Maurice's and Anthony's judgment . My I.T. friend also hates registry cleaners and all utility type items (grief and shame on me he he). I would like to once again: Thank both Maurice and Anthony for clearing up some of the finer points as far as reading files and knowledge of multiple systems. I so stated it is not one of my finer points. Hope, you are up and running if we're there Please close the thread.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Mar, 2011 06:04
My thanks to all who replied. I am not 100% better off than I was ,but I am now more knowledgeable than I was. My apologies to the admin. and moderator about the hijackthis posting, I honestly did not know I was not supposed to do this.Again I am sorry. It seems I still have loads to learn about computers and their "innards" but I am a "a work in progress" and it is places like here and "Bleeping Computer" that us rookies can go to for help as I am a firm believer that there is always somebody, somewhere, that knows more that you do. Again Thank You puget1 maurice, and the others who assisted me. You may close this thread and I will be reading and observing to try to learn more. Terry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 10:52
Last edited on 18th Mar, 2011 10:53
@jockeyson
To protect your privacy I have deleted the two posts that reveal details of your PC.

It does not alter the general tone of the thread so I hope I have done the right thing for U.

As per your wishes I have re locked it so U and @puget1 will not have an opportunity to respond.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability