Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: download problems

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
taffy078 download problems
Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 09:33
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Thank you Mogs for telling me that this was now available. I went to Maurice's excellent thread: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/785...

Given the problems with IE8 and earlier versions, I would have thought that Microsoft would have announced this with fanfares, flags and flamboyancy! But when I followed the link, there was no sign of IE9.
So I went to another MS site - http://www.microsoft.com/athome/default.aspx and yes! there was a link to get the "latest Internet Explorer". I followed that and it took me to IE8!

So what have I missed on your link Maurice? ddmarshall mentions "Release Candidate" so I'll now go and google that.

PS it was a pity that 'joenamherst' was zapped three points for asking a question that most of us would ask. His question is relevant so why did he lose points? Because his 'crime' was not being aware of the unwritten protocol that you should start a new thread in such circumstances.

What an awful way to welcome a new poster on his very first post. ;0(

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Post "RE: download problems" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: download problems
Handling Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 10:13
Score: 11536
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
It looks like your obsession with point scoring has not abated.

As I have said before on this Forum if U have a problem with scoring write to Secunia Support. I have done that recently highlighting & identifying our Forum school teacher(s) who systematically read all threads & marks them accordingly plus the continuing problem of cartel voting.

On the thread U are now complaining about I will give U a clue.

The first action was someone deducted a point from my score indicating I was locking the thread & to create his own.

Someone then reinstated my score & removed some from the poster.

Someone else then "got in" on the points scoring & remove some more.

U have improperly used your vote to reinstate a thread that others (not one person) have deemed irrelevant because of your obsession with scoring rather than relevance.

Is it relevant? Of course not - The post was HOW to upgrade to IE9 which @ddmarshall added to with a relevant & workable alternative method.

The poster is talking about IE9 security. Not relevant & a "tag on" which Secunia discourage.

Better U spend your time looking for IE9 - it is all over the web.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mogs RE: download problems
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 10:18
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Just saw from your post that you're using XP.....if my memory serves me well.....IE9 is not available to you.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Anthony Wells RE: download problems
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 13:23
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello All ,

I have noticed that I get marked a +/- one vote pretty soon after I post a reply (usually early in a thread) ; if it continues I shall soon become an "Expert Contributor" which would be quite embarrassing on the basis of my lack of "teccy" ability - perhaps someone in Secunia could thank them on my behalf but also explain/talk to the teacher(s) of my discomfort caused by their kindness .

Sometimes our comments to new posters and sensitive readers can seem curt and a little dismissive when they are unthinkingly cryptic rather than (un)intentionally rude .

What on earth is cartel voting ?? As a non-voter am I missing out on something ??

Hi taffy ,

Like you I use XP and so we (the majority still of M$ Windows OS users) are excluded from the (hopefully) improved security of IE 9 . As I cannot afford to upgrade my OS , i make do with the high speed security of the Goggle Chrome browser ; Mogs has them both of them loaded , so his comments will be of interest as will be the release of Firefox 4 and later Chrome and Mozilla platforms for 2011 .

Just remember nothing is 100% secure and a programme is only as good as it's user allows it to be :))

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+5
taffy078 RE: download problems
Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 14:44
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
sorry, but I have to disagree with you, Maurice.

(1) That someone deemed it appropriate to deduct/add points to your score is irrelevant to what I have posted. I've no idea what they had in mind.

(2) Just because others have deemed a post irrelevant does not stop me scoring as I see fit. Nor should it. There is absolutely no reason why anyone must vote the same way as others. It is nonsense to suggest that I have "used my vote improperly".

(3) Newcomers should not have to look at a crystal ball in order to post. How are they expected to know what a 'tag-on' is and that it is discouraged?

(4) Whenever I saw someone posting "inappropriately" e.g. in Vulnerabilities, I used to post polite & helpful advice explaining why they should create their own thread. I stopped doing that when someone started zapping my posts!
I remain of the opinion that it is far better to welcome new blood here and be helpful and positive . . . and pleasant, too. Zapping them without giving such a welcome is narrow-minded and negative.

Thank you, Mogs & Anthony, for your helpful replies. Had it been mentioned at the start that IE9 is not available to XP users, I wouldn't have had to look all over the web.

I won't lock this thread yet because I too am intrigued by the reference to "cartel voting and School Teachers".

We each have our own views and are surely entitled to express them. Everyone here should respect that, regardless of title/score.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 14:56
@Anthony

If becoming an Expert Contributor would be embarrassing.....consider that, having helped many....general helpfulness of spirit was maybe not misinterpreted by those Souls that voted ? Expertise did not always over ride civility and common courtesy ? "Imagine" if you will that I'm not always blushing at my obvious lack ?
At a time when threats are increasing, I think we should be mindful of not destroying any decorum that still exists on the forum....tho' in the event that a bad hacker might be reading this.....we maybe ought still allow for a degree of crypticism.....but 'pon perpetual naivety....give up ?
I don't know what cartel voting is either and I can't always find where I was supposed to have been irrelevant !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: download problems
Handling Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 15:11
Score: 11536
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U know full well what cartel voting is - I have wriiten to U privately before on the subject.

Matter closed in your case.

@Anthony
I will enlighten U by email.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 15:11
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2011 15:13
You are too kind Mogs , shuffle , shuffle ; scarlet blushes as yet unearned by any stretch of voting .

****As a part of two Transnationals in my time , I am fully conversant in Cartels and price fixing rings etc., to the companies' benefit and the stockholders' too ; not so good (to bad) for the indigent populations affected .

So really not sure how it works in the Forum and to what/whose benefit , but wondered how I might make my first real "expert contribution" !! Only joking , of course :))

Take care

Anthony

*** Edit : Crossed with post from Maurice ; will wait for your email , thank you .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: download problems
Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 15:21
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
months and months ago, I was alerted by email to a suggestion that some members were "conspiring" to vote positively to each of the others' posts. At that time I was also told that I could be sued because of someone else's comments on a monthly thread that I was 'hosting'. (Which is why I stopped those threads.)

I thought at the time that both suggestion were complete nonsense - no-one is that concerned about their scores to spend time trying to fiddle them! If anyone believes otherwise, feel free to email me with examples - or close that subject.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 15:48
@Anthony
Shuffle, shuffle ? Overly kind, wormy or gushing.....getting to know may take more than one or two posts ?! Whatever happened to the other Transnational's seeming dedication and passion....holidays, other commitments, disheartened....where's the milk and honey gone ?! What's a working language.....all my kids knew where I was sat ?!
Fingers don't always get softened doin' a few dishes.....pickled may be more fickle without a tendency to snap ?! We can only improve with our friendships....problem is, there's always more reasons to launch an attack ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2011 16:04

Such wisdom from one so young Mogs :))

To digress rather , concerning Transnationals and their individual employees' attempts to provide goodness and benefit to others , such offerings must be tempered by the knowledge that there are no ethics in business and that as they (the Trannys) are classified as persons in International law they are also be classified as "social psychopaths" using the WHO medical survey definitions and as described in the the documentary "The Corporation" .

Cartels and other devastations are the "norm" in my experience (at the sharpest of sharp ends) .

I cannot think of anything I would need to add to this thread , so if you will all excuse me , I'm off .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability