xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Problems removing older Chrome browsers.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 9.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
rpernicano Problems removing older Chrome browsers.
Member 18th Mar, 2011 12:50
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I cannot seem to get rid of Chrome 8 or 9 even though I have the newest version on my computer.

Post "RE: Problems removing older Chrome browsers." has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Problems removing older Chrome browsers.
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 12:57
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Which version of the PSI are you using ??
Which versions 8, 9 and latest of Chrome do you have installed ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rpernicano RE: Problems removing older Chrome browsers.
Member 18th Mar, 2011 13:10
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Aug 2009
Hi Anthony,
I have PSI 2.0 and Chrome 8 & 9 are gone (or so it says when I search for them) and I have 10.0648.151 Chrome.
Rich
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 13:37

Hello Rich ,

the latest version of the PSI is 2.0 0.3001 , you can see your version by right clicking the tray icon and select "About" ; if you don't have this version you can get it using the "Download PSI" link at the top right of this page .

You do inded have the latest Stable (and indeed Beta) version of Chrome platform 10 as 10.0.648.151.

In your first post you say you cannot get rid of versions 8 or 9 ; as these are old "platforms" as well as versions , the PSI should display them as either "End of Life" or "insecure" at the very top of the "Scan Results" page . Are they there ?? If not , you must have manually removed them .

How many instances is the PSI detecting of version 10 under the # column on the results page ?? Click the [+} sign to the left of any programme to expand the entry and see detected instances and their location/installation pathway .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Mar, 2011 13:45
Anthony,
Perhaps I was not clear on my problem....I DO have the Chrome 8 and Chrome 9 at the top of the PSI "scan results". The problem is, I cannot get them out of there even though they are not on my computer.
Rich
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 14:01

Hi Rich ,

If the PSI sees them they are very likely there ; that's the way both the PSI and Chrome installation works .

Click the [+]sign on the lhs of the programmes 8 and 9 and under "Detected Instances" and to the left of the pathway you will see two beige/sort of yellowish folder icons ; the one without the red blob is the "open folder" icon , click it and you should see a version number folder blue highlighted in Explorer . You can right click and delete the old 8 and 9 version folders .

You should also see your 10.x version folders in the same place and they are also accessed directly using their own individual folder icons . You probably have two of them because Chrome silent update always leaves the old version folder in place .
Technically the old one is not available alongside the new one , but many people tend to manually remove the old "zombie" file to be sure .

Does that help .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Mar, 2011 15:22
Thanks Anthony, I will check later...I will let you know...Off to work.
Rich
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 15:51

Hello again ,

As I may not be around later (I'm on CET - as time stamped in the Forum posts) , I would add the following :

All the different platform/version folders for Chrome browser - standard installation - appear in this containing folder :-

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\....

Just delete the/any "old" version numbered sub-folder which is found further along the pathway .

When there is a Chrome Browser "security" update and the old version folder shows as a "zombie" file alongside the up to date/patched version , many/most people go in and delete the old version folder .

If you are satisfied and all your questions are answered , could you click "Accept" under one of my posts ; this will close and lock the thread and prevent a slew of tag-on posts and a swamped email box (for both of us) - Chrome threads are notorious for this .

If you have further questions , please ask before you lock .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Mar, 2011 17:20
Anthony, can you tell me exactly how to get to:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\....? I went to "my computer", clicked on "documents and settings", looked in each folder but could not find what you said to look for.
Rich
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 17:36

Rich ,

It is/becomes a hidden folder/file when you reach the " \local Settings\" part of the pathway in Explorer ; here is a tutorial here for displaying them , just select your OS :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial...

Please note that if you select to display system files - as described near the end , but not essential in your case - then you should be extra , extra careful about "deleting or otherwise interfering" with files .

The simple answer is to use the "open folder" icon in the PSI as described in my (second) earlier above post of today at 14.01 . The full entry "should" be displayed in Explorer format ; if not , you may need to use the tutorial and display the hidden files.

Does that help .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Mar, 2011 17:47
Anthony, I tried to open the folder as you described, but it would not open ( the pop up says " open folder", or "ignore folder")....BUT....When I open my C;\ drive on "my computer", I can get to the numbered folder but when I try to remove it I get a pop up that says....
"C:\Documents and settings\hp_administrator\local settings\application data\google\chrome is not accessible. Access is denied".
But I am the administrator on my computer....??
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 18:00

I notice that in your pathway , it says ..\hp_adminstrator\.. rather than your actual name .

Are you trying to access when actually/specifically signed in as/to your HP Admin account ??

What is your OS ?? someone else has had this problem recently on an XP system and needed to (re)take charge of the folder .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Mar, 2011 18:04
I just sign in as Administrator...I have XP...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 18:12

OK , Rich . FYI the person on this thread had the same "Access Denied" problem :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/777...

Here is the method used to retake control of the folder(s) in question :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

See how that goes .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Mar, 2011 19:36
Anthony, I did that and now when I get to the "Google" folder, it's empty...and I still have 1 EOL on Google 8,,,,,,,,,,, and 2 EOL under Google 9,,again, when I click on the beige folder of either, nothing opens..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2011 20:23

Rich ,

I am nearly out of time until Sunday .

Your posts are much too brief and your description don't make enough sense without me guessing and assuming what you are describing - especially your last post - you need to give as much detail as possible , please . So take your time .

I suggest you double click each Chrome programme entry on the PSI Scan Results page ; in the splash window look in the toolbox (top right) and select Troubleshoot Report : post here the details for each and every entry of Chrome Browser versions 8 , 9 and 10 .

As you say you have "done that", do you mean that youhave you taken back control of your folders ??

Are you then saying : you cannot open them or that they are empty when you open them ??

When you say "Empty" is that a message you get when mousing over the file or is the folder blank inside when you open it ; and exactly which "Google" file are you talking about ?? You need to be very detailed and specific .

Are using the PSI "open folder" icon or did you go ->My Computer -> C:\ and follow the path within Explorer.

Don't worry , there is no rush , as any "risk" from these old files is pretty small . Post as much detail as possible .

Will get back here when I can .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Mar, 2011 22:42
Anthony, you are correct, I need to be more specific...I will send another reply after sorting out all.. Thanks for your help,
Rich
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Andy2011 RE: Problems removing older Chrome browsers.
Member 20th Mar, 2011 18:17
User Since: 20th Mar 2011
Hi, Greetings from Thailand ... but I have the same problems as you Rich and unfortunately, I also get no really help here. I have checked all what you already got from Anthony, who has a lot patience, and have been replaced it. I use Win7, is anytime up-to-date, Google Chrome 10.0.648.151 and Secunia 2.0.0.2001.
Secunia shows the check yet again to the previous version of Goggle Chrome 9 and not the actuality 10. When searching the computer no older version of chrome remained.
It already bothers to see always the warning without doing something about this mistake.
Thanks for help.
Armin

---START---

Program Name:
Google Chrome 9.x

Security State:
End-of-Life

Download Link:
http://chrome.google.com

Instances Found:
C:\Users\Armin-PC\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Appl ication\9.0.597.94\chrome.dll, version: 9.0.597.94
C:\Users\Armin-PC\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Appl ication\9.0.597.98\chrome.dll, version: 9.0.597.98

Last System Scan (localtime):
20. Mar 2011, 22:28

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7,

---END---

--
Hello from Chonburi
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Mar, 2011 18:33

Hello Armin ,

Your problem is only the same in that it involves old Version 9.x version files of Chrome Browser .

However , there are a major differences :-

1)You are using Win7 and Rich has XP SP3 as his OS

2)Your files are in a C:\Users\.. folder , rather than the standard c:\Documents and Settings folder . This may be a particular Win 7 thing .

In order for Rich and you to get the detailed help you need , I would ask you to create your own thread (see column on the left hand side of this page) ; repost all the details you posted here and someone with Win7 experience (not me - but plenty of others)) will be able to help you .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Mar, 2011 21:43
Anthony,
When I finally was able to "get my computer back", I uninstalled the Google's 8 and 9.
I do appreciate your help...
Thanks,
Rich
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Mar, 2011 16:31

Hello Rich ,

Glad to hear that you are all sorted ; thanks for letting us know :))

Armin also got himself sorted :))

take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability