Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 10.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
miska2005 Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16
Member 25th Mar, 2011 14:50
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th Mar, 2011
System Score: N/A
I have Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16 which is the latest beta and PSI says it is insecure. I checked with the google site and this the latest version so I am going to ignore this until the database catches up

Fred

Post "RE: Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16
Expert Contributor 25th Mar, 2011 16:20
Score: 2371
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 25th Mar, 2011 16:25
Hi ,

There may be some confusion in Google version numbers ; in addition , the PSI only displays the "Stable" version of Chrome but it may display the "Beta" version when there is an update overlap

If you check here :-

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

there appears to be some confusion :

1)on 22/03 the Beta is given as 11.0.696.16 , the same version as the Dev Channel , but

2)on 24/03 the Stable and the Beta are shown both at 10.0.648.204 and which is a "security" update , also

3)on 24/03 the Dev Channel changed from the 11.x to the 12.x platform .

This is quite a lot of "platform" changing which can cause detection rule problems for Secunia and the PSI ; thus , if the Beta has gone back to the same 10.x version as the Stable version for vulnerability/security patch update reasons , then your "Beta" version 11.0.696.16 may be posing a risk to you .

You might want to consider reinstalling the "secure" 10.0.648.204 .

I know , clear as mud :((

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
mogs RE: Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16
Expert Contributor 25th Mar, 2011 16:31
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
The Stable release is the only version of Chrome that psi monitors ; and Gears........Beta, Dev and Canary are not monitored. The same is true for other progs.....stable versions only, and updates for reasons of bug fixes and cosmetic enhancements are not included.

Were you; have you used the Stable version of Chrome....prior to using the Beta channel ? It seems likely that psi is detecting an old file/version of that.
Ordinarily, when you update the Beta, you should only see changes in psi relative to the Gears.....you'll need to remember to remove the older version each time.

Finding the file path.

psi versions 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2

Use the Advanced interface...or switch to it ( Simple/ Advanced..top right of psi panel ).

1/. Click on the + sign alongside the programme to expand it.
2/. Click again on Tech Details in the Toolbox to confirm the installation path of the detected file/prog. 3/.Post the Installation Path back to the forum if you are uncertain how best to proceed.

psi version 2.0

Go to Results from the Dashboard

1/. Click on the + sign alongside the file.
2/. This will reveal the file path.
3/. Post the info back to the forum if uncertain how best to proceed.

Hope this helps........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 25th Mar, 2011 16:56
Last edited on 25th Mar, 2011 16:57
Hello again ,

An additional point is that prior to the Beta becoming/updating to 11.0.696.16 , on the 17/03 both the Beta and the Stable versions were the same :ie: 10.0.648.151 .

if there was a silent update for the Beta version on 22/03 it would have left the old Stable/Beta version files in place and displayed by the PSI ; is it this 10.0.648.151 version which the PSI is correctly marking as "insecure" .

Mogs has detailed (above) how to find the info .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
richard_chapman RE: Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16
Member 29th Mar, 2011 08:56
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Mar 2011
I think I have the same problem. My current version of Chrome is:
11.0.696.16 - (Which probably is the beta) but Securina is reporting several (3) older versions as bing "insecure" - namely:

It also reports the latest version:

I guess this is an expected consequence of using the Beta - but I think I am happy to continue using the beta for now.

I don't really understand why I still have 3 old versions lying around - but maybe there is an explanation.

Is there a way to update the "non beta" version to the latest "secure" version?
Alternatively - is it safe to just delete the 3 older version folders from the ...\chrome\applicaiton\?

Thanks for this fine product.

Richard.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Mar, 2011 15:34

Hi Richard ,

Your latest Beta of 11.0.696.16 was just updated to 11.0.696.25 on 28/03 and you should have been automatically/silently updated by now - standard Google Chrome browser practice ; as it is the real Beta and only a bug fix it is unlikely the PSI will display it directly anymore . You should see it listed in the Google gears display which should show the last two detected instances of any non-Stable version within the pathway .

Versions 10.....133 , 134 and 151 were joint Stable and Beta releases which included both bug and security fixes and are best deleted . The latest secure Stable version is 10.0.648.204 ; but there is some confusion as to whether this was also a Beta for a short time .

You can only have/use one channel and one platform browser version in one user account ; you can set up more than one user account .

The version running on your machine will be 11.0.696.25 - as in the latest Beta ; you can check Channel and version # by left clicking the spanner (top right any tab) and select "About.." - but only displayed by the PSI in the detected instance pathway of Google gears . If you are happy with it , then to avoid confusion I would delete all the other version files .

If you wish to have the full PSI display you will need to delete all the version files and reinstall the Stable channel version ; to keep your settings you might leave the latest Beta version in place and reinstall the Stable channel over it .

Version release notes can be found here :-

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

Hope that is clear :))))) .. enough .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
richard_chapman RE: Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16
Member 30th Mar, 2011 10:19
User Since: 29th Mar 2011
Thanks Anthony... Very clear indeed...
Strangely - my Chrome still reports 11.0.696.16 and doesn't seem to have updated to ....25.
..16 is still reported under "about Chrome".
I have deleted the three 10.xxxx folders under ...\chrome\application\
And everything seems fine.
Secunia is 100% happy now.

Richard.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 11:51

Hello Richard ,

The Beta can be slow to silent update and the PSI can be slow to respond ; that seems to be the case with both programmes atm , if my current experience with Dev Channel 12.x is anything to go by .

Things should catch up eventually ; even so I regularly check the spanner and use the Google gears "open folder" icon*** to double check what is actually installed on my machine .

*** click the [+} on the lhs of the entry in the Scan Results page and it is the yellowish folder icon on the lhs of each detected instance ; of the two , it's the one without the red blob !

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 11:57
Morning Anthony.....forgive my intrusion on a non-relative matter....but had you noticed there is no Gears with the new Chrome Dev ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 12:27

Hello Mogs ,

Thanks for that ; been busy and a suffering from a rhume et gorge inflammee ; the latest Dev version was not displaying under the gears just the one before , so went to the folder and deleted the old , just leaving 12.0.712.0 which has taken out gears completely from the display as you said .

I still have Chrome Frame Beta displaying thro' gears , but that will also be shortlived .

Did you see an announcement anywhere on killing gears ? it's been on the cards for sometime now ; it's must be to do with standardising around HTML5 , web accelerators and things now that IE9 and Firefox 4.0 are Final Release .

All about keeping up with the Jones's , don't you know :)) :-

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20047314-12.h...

Oh well , one less thing to worry about , maybe do a weekly check of the folder will suffice , the old version folder's .dlls are "technically" meant to be unavailable .

Gotta go for some physio , so keep an eye on the shop .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 12:52
@Anthony

I can't remember exactly where I first saw mention of Gears finishing....probably Softpedia etc.. Have found earlier reference to it here :-
http://gearsblog.blogspot.com/

With all this now available in HTML5, itís finally time to say goodbye to Gears. There will be no new Gears releases, and newer browsers such as Firefox 4 and Internet Explorer 9 will not be supported. We will also be removing Gears from Chrome in Chrome 12.
The code itself will of course remain open source, and anyone is free to use it.
Our mission with Gears was to enable more powerful web applications. Over 5 releases, we added tons of APIs, enabling everything from offline access to parallel computation. Now that these features have all been adopted by browsers and have official W3C specs, they are available to more developers than we could have reached with Gears alone.
Edit: Corrected timeframe for removing Gears from Chrome.
Posted by Aaron Boodman, Gears Team

Thanks for the CNet link.....will take a good look later.
Have a good day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
miska2005 RE: Google Chrome Beta 11.0.696.16
Member 30th Mar, 2011 14:44
User Since: 9th Mar 2011
Thank you all for your help and comments miska54@cox.net
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 16:34

Hello @miska2005 ,

A bit late now , but it is never a good idea to post your email address on an open Forum ; it can lead to Spam Hell .

Similarly , if you have all the answers you need then it might be wise for you to lock this (your) thread by clicking the "Accept" button under the post which has helped you most ; otherwise people like Mogs and I will witter on forever and Chrome threads tend to get get lots of tag-ons , again , you get a mailbox of updates .

Take care

Anthony

PS : thanks Mogs for the illuminating blog link .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability