Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Updates mess up system

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Miriam J Updates mess up system
Member 25th Mar, 2011 17:48
Ranking: -1
User Since: 31st Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Recent ADF updates have messed up my computer, causing system errors, losing sound, interfering with browser [FireFox], etc. I have followed instructions for removing AFP, for reinstalling it, and the problems recur. I have allowed the AFP systray icon to perform the update [then uninstalled it]; the PSI toolbox to update [then uninstalled it]; and also manually updated and uninstalled again.

Today, PSI is again reporting AFP as insecure. I don't really want to permit updates, because they cause me to lose so much time in uninstalling, reinstalling, and finally using System Restore to go back to a restore point I created before permitting the update.

PSI report: The version detected of Adobe Flash Player 10.x (ActiveX) was 10.2.152.26 (ActiveX) while the latest version including one or more security fixes is 10.2.153.1 (ActiveX).

The update is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash.

For the past week, PSI has indicated a fully secured system, until today's scan.

Any suggestions?

Anthony Wells RE: Updates mess up system
Expert Contributor 25th Mar, 2011 18:05
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello ,

The latest version of Flash is as detected by the PSI and has been out for two or three days ; you see the "insecurity" displayed only after/when you run a system scan .

The latest update to version 10.2.153.1 of Flash is an important update to cover/patch a highly critical Cat 5 vulnerability . Whatever problems updating causes you , they are likely less of a problem to handle than running the risk/result of malware infection .

The latest version (2.0.0.3001) of the PSI has an "auto-update" facility for Flash which works well ; which version of the PSI are you using on which OS ??

Try to update Flash and if this causes you problems , give the details let us see if we can help you . As you mention Firefox , you will need an update for IE (ActiveX) and another for Firefox (NPAPI) .

Take care.

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Miriam J RE: Updates mess up system
Member 25th Mar, 2011 18:58
Score: -1
User Since: 31st Mar 2009
which version of the PSI - 2.o

Win XP SP3

I keep my FF plug-ins etc up to date; not so much IE, which I use only when forced to. I have IE8 now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Mar, 2011 19:31

Hello again Miriam ,

The latest version of 2.0 is 2.0.0.3001 ; you can check your version by right clicking the tray icon and selecting "About" . The latest version if you don't have it is in the "Download PSI" link at the top right of this page .

if you want to try the PSI's "auto-update" then you need to go "Dashboard" -> Configuration -> Settings and select (tick box) "Enable automatic program updates" ; I also select "Prompt before running automatic program updates" ; this means that after a scan I need to authorise the "auto-update" when it is displayed after a scan .

If you have not used it before , I recommend you try it .

Even if , like me , you (very) rarely use IE it is probably best either to update the ActiveX version of Flash , to be sure to be sure , or simply uninstall the ActiveX version , your system is not dependant upon it and that way Flash and any of it's insecurities will not work in IE ; should you find later that you need Flash for IE you can always reinstall it .

As well as Firefox (version 4.0) , I use Google Chrome browser which has it's own embedded version of Flash which it keeps up to date automatically and runs it in a "sandbox" for extra security . Worth a look if you can find the time .

Some points to note :-

The PSI 2.0 no longer uses Flash so no need to close it for the update to/of the Active X to run .

If any other programme is using Flash , the update will pause ; it rechecks every minute to see if it can restart . At worst it will take affect when you shut all your browsrs etc., or when you reboot .

For more details , you can go Dashboard -> Learn More ->select the Secunia PSI Manual which is a pdf document .

Hope that is helpful .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Mar, 2011 21:10
Thanks, Anthony. I've copied and saved your suggestions, and have uninstalled Adobe Flash Player 10 Plug-in and AFP via Add/Rem Programs;

I'll work on updating MSIE, and hope for the best after that. If I still have problems, I'll reappear on the forum.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Mar, 2011 22:06

Miriam ,

Just so we avoid confusing things , especially over names , let me recap :-

1)Uninstalling Adobe Flash Player using "Add/Remove" often leaves old files behind ; if you do have problems , Adobe provide an uninstaller here :-

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

It is likely to remove both your IE (Activex) and Firefox (NPAPI) Plug-in versions .

2)You say you have "uninstalled" the Adobe Flash Player 10 Plug-in using Add/Remove ; this is the Firefox plug-in , if so , Flash will not work in Firefox . You can reinstall it using this link if you want the latest version :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

or get it from the Adobe website direct .

If there is any confusion or you run into a problem , post back .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Mar, 2011 22:24
I have downloaded the official Adobe uninstaller and used it over the last few years. And will do again if necessary.

"uninstalling the Adobe Flash Player 10 Plug-in using Add/Remove did indeed remove the Firefox plug-in. If necessary, I will reinstall it, Thanks for the

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

link.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jran1011 RE: Updates mess up system
Member 26th Mar, 2011 23:30
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Mar 2011
I seem to be having an issue with this as well - altho a bit different. I follow PSI advice to install the fix, it seems to install just fine, but PSI does not seem to recognize it, and lists it still as insecure...
Any thoughts?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 13:32

@jran1011 ,

If your problem is not the same as that of Miriam , then I would advise you it is bad manners/practice to "tag on" to her thread .

You should create your own thread using the links in the column on the lhs of this page ; in your new thread , you should provide as much detail as possible :-

Your OS :Version of the PSI (the latest is 2.0.0.3001) : browsers being used : the Truobleshoot report from PSI 2.0.x (or the installation path from 1.5.x) and your exact problem with (presumably) Adobe Flash Player .

Hope that is clear .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2011 16:33
And, I should already have said it: Thank you so much, Anthony, for the careful, considered and helpful suggestions you made. They are now part of my "AFP Update history" file [I keep stuff like that].
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 19:00

No problem Miriam , pleased to help .

If you want to close/lock this thread to stop "tag-on" posts and extra emails in your mailbox , you can click on the "Accept" button under one of my posts .

If you get another problem , just create a new thread and someone will help :))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability