Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe AIR 2.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

See the original Secunia vulnerability report for:
Adobe AIR 2.x

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe AIR 2.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Secunia Adobe AIR 2.x
Secunia Official 26th Mar, 2011 10:32
Ranking: 0
User Since: -
System Score: -
Vulnerability report: Adobe AIR 2.x

Post "RE: Adobe AIR 2.x" has been selected as an answer.
AlanEadie RE: Adobe AIR 2.x
Member 26th Mar, 2011 10:32
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Dec 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2011 10:32
I am unable to update (from 2.5.1.17730 to 2.6.0.19120) as I get a message an error has occurred. Installation may not be allowed - see3 Administrator. This is a stand alone PC so I am the administrator. Worse still I get the same message when I try to uninstall. Help!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jimm_ccc RE: Adobe AIR 2.x
Member 26th Mar, 2011 16:16
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
I am having the exact same issue so I hope someone knows whats going on
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe AIR 2.x
Expert Contributor 26th Mar, 2011 16:21
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Which Os are you each using ??

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Mar, 2011 17:13
I am using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Mar, 2011 23:46
I use windows xp and service pack 3 also
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 13:52

Hello again ,

Am busy this weekend , but will see what I can do .

First , if not already , you should be using the latest version of the PSI 2.0.0.3001 'check yours' via ->tray icon right click->"About) .The latest version is in the "Download PSI" link at the top right of this page .

Next , click the [+] next to the "insecure" entry for AIR and post here the detected instance/installation path which the PSI displays .

Question 1) can you open the folder where the file is located by using the PSI ?? The l"Open Folder" link is the small yellowish folder without the red blob (of the two) to the left of the "detected instance" in PSI 2.0.x or the one so named in the "Toolbox" of PSI1.5.x and

2)can you right click and delete the highlighted version number of AIR shown (in Explorer) by the PSI ?? If not

3)what is the exact wording of the "Error" message .

4)You are the Admin using your User Name account in XP , but you should also have a separate Admin account as well . Does your User Name account have any privilege restrictions ?? Have you tried logging in as Admin ??

That is enough for now .

Let us know the answers when you can , no rush unless you are a regular user of AIR .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2011 15:48
My PSI version was 2.0.0.1003. However there was no "Download PSI" link at the top right of this page unfortunately. Nevertheless I did download the PSI from another page. During the course of this I did get a message indicating that the software was not compatible with Microsoft! I was brave enough to ignore the warning. PSI new version is now 2.0.0.3001.

The [+] next to the "insecure" entry for AIR still shows the detected installation path as
“C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR dll, version 2.5.1.17730
The latest version being 2.6”

A message ‘Waiting for update to complete’ is also shown alongside. But how long should I wait?? Hours, days or weeks? I have resisted the temptation to run another update in case it causes problems. Some hours later the message changed to ‘The Secunia Update Agent could not be installed’ so I ran another update and got the usual message ‘An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.’

1. 2. & 3. Opened folder and attempted to delete file. Got message ‘Cannot delete Adobe AIR. Access denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.’ After closing down Adobe Media Player I then deleted the file successfully. I then attempted another update but again got the message ‘An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.’

4. I am the only user of my PC so I have never bothered to open up accounts for other users (as there are none). I simply open up my PC, use it, and then close down. I would not know how to log in as Admin!

I now have a 100% Secunia score but presumably I will not be able to run some programs such as Adobe Media Player?? I have attempted to run another program that needs this deleted file without success (AUK Widget) bur presumably there are others I will find out in due course that I cannot now run.

Help - though no great rush for a response.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 19:49
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2011 19:58
Hello again Alan ,

Sorry , still rushed :(

In order :-

On every webpage of Secunia (like this one) I see at the very top very right a block of 5 links ; the middle left (of 3) is "Download PSI and it takes you to the PSI download page :) !! - not to worry you are up to date .

The detected instance of AIR is in the default download path : good .

The waiting message will last as long as you have a programme open that uses AIR and/or until you next cold start or reboot . This is normal for PSI/Adobe and also applies to Flash . The PSI checks every minute or so to see if it can continue the installation . Maybe it got tired and changed the message ; re-running the installer probably complicated things .

Closing the AMP might have let the installer run ; the message being more clear when you went to delete the file . As you use AIR , then getting rid of/deleting the old "insecure" version/file was important .

You don't say which "installer" you then tried to run ; however , tho' the PSI is good for updates , historically and especially with Adobe products updating from within the programme or running the full installer was/is usually more reliable . I find the same with other programmes such as Mozilla firefox , for example .

to check on Secunia :)) I have just recently updated AIR using the 'Auto-Update" option of the PSI , prefect (if slow) ; but at this stage I suggest that you either select the "auto-update" provided (not likely) you have an entry for AIR in the PSI or run the full installer from Adobe (it has always worked for me) , go here :-

http://www.adobe.com/

and select Adobe Air in "Downloads" half way down rhs ., select "save" (to Desktop or your normal folder) close all programmes/apps. you can safely exit completely -even if they are not AIR users - and try to run the installer .

If it works and the Admin problem is not there , good . If not look here (do that anyway when you have time) :-

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/w...

EDIT ; if necessary take a look in here :-

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403150.html

See how you go .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Mar, 2011 20:15
Antony,

Many thanks for your patience. I have run the full installer from http://www.adobe.com/ but unfortunately I still get the same old error message!

1. I will study http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/w... shortly but I suspect dreaming up a User Name and Password may prove problematic?

2. I will also look at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403150.html sometime later tomorrow when I get some spare time.

You will have worked out by now that I am not all that computer literate so I do thank you for your assistance.

I will let you know how I get on with these last two steps in due course.

Alan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 20:26
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2011 20:28
Alan ,

I had a few minutes to look on the web and your error is common and difficult to tie down .

It seems that the problem sometimes/mainly requires a complete clean out of the old/remaining AdobeAIR folder and files which the installer left behind and/or have become locked ; please try to uninstall the complete folder from inside the "Common Files" folder ; as you did the old version file : note : a coldstart/reboot will sometimes help unlock a file .

Do you have any kind of 3rd party clean up tools on your system ??

Will check back tomorrow .

Anthony

EDIT PS ; a password is not essential - I do not use one .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2011 20:32
I did everything you said to do and still I get An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2011 20:43
I also deleted it from common files and still I got the same issue trying to re download it from scratch An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 21:10
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2011 21:14
OK . This blog tells you about the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility which is no longer promoted by M$ but "seems" *** to work for this problem ; read it right thru' :-

http://word.truthintheword.org/computerstechnology...

There is a download for the programme here on Softpedia :-

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-Inst...

*** Your system is not dependant on AIR so be extremely careful to use it only for this programme .

Save the installer and then run it and follow the wizard ; it's launch icon will display in ->Start->All Programs . Open it and select/highlight ONLYthe (AllUsers) Adobe AIR entry and select "Remove" . Now try to run the installer from Adobe website .

Have to go .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Mar, 2011 05:49
Thanks a ton that totaly worked and now i have 0 issues
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Mar, 2011 09:31
Anthony,

Success. Many thanks for your patient help. Much appreciated. What a fantastic service Secunia provide.

Alan

PS My apologies for misspelling your name in my previous message. My son is an Antony without the h.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Mar, 2011 13:36

Hello to both of you ,

That is excellent news , well done :))

The "Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" is very useful ; i keep a copy on my system in case Softpedia drop the download . It is also very powerful and quite capable of messing up your system unless you know exactly what you are doing and why ; you don't usually need a sledgehammer to crack a nut , even if we did this time :))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer